• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I suspect they won't be playing the dramatic music at you every second you're flying, and that part really helps sell the visuals here. I wonder what the soundscape will be like? Will I need noise cancelling headphones to play it, or they going to find a way to bend realism and spice things up a little with a dynamic soundtrack of some kind?
Run the soundscape playlist in the background if they don't provide the soundscape. :P

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I wonder if the game will have a mode for complete noobs? Might be a way for me to tackle a resurgent fear of flying. Haven't been on a plane in almost a decade.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect they won't be playing the dramatic music at you every second you're flying, and that part really helps sell the visuals here. I wonder what the soundscape will be like? Will I need noise cancelling headphones to play it, or they going to find a way to bend realism and spice things up a little with a dynamic soundtrack of some kind?

It's a flight sim, the only music you'll hear is the menu more than likely. If you're lucky it will have "real radio stations" otherwise It will have zero music.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The aircraft partnerships we're announcing today include (in alphabetical order):

• Airbus
  • The Boeing Company
  • CubCrafters
  • Daher
  • Diamond Aircraft Industries
  • ICON Aircraft
  • Robin Aircraft
  • Textron Aviation

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Gobsmacked at how good this looks. Like a poster said above, it would be really nice if they had a dynamic soundtrack that you can play whilst flying to add to the atmosphere.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This was already hands down my most anticipated thing for next year, and yet my jaw was on the floor during this trailer.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think the world is probably relatively low poly and owes a lot to textures being actual photographs. And their cloud tech looks amazing to be sure.
Still think it will kind of fall apart when you fly closer to the ground, but then you won't be doing that a lot.
From typical flying altitude it looks bonkers though and many of those shots could easily pass as real footage.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Honestly, if this comes to XCloud, Game Pass and Scarlett launch title, it's a system seller. Bundle it with all Project Scarlett Edition consoles.

Killer app/game. Could be serious 2020 GOTY contender.

trudderham

Nov 9, 2017
Already planning to buy a top-spec PC next year just for this game.

In the meantime, just happened to pause during this close-up of the ground. Not complaining - the whole planet is going to be playable - but I guess I should temper my expectations just a little:
RhDkWtM.jpg

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

In the meantime, just happened to pause during this close-up of the ground. Not complaining - the whole planet is going to be playable - but I guess I should temper my expectations just a little:
RhDkWtM.jpg

Yeah you'll see this stuff everywhere. When you get close to the ground, most stuff won't look fantastic

But it's a flying game so being too close to the ground isn't usually ideal

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean honestly some of those shots just looked like real video footage, the graphics are utterly insane.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

RhDkWtM.jpg

To be fair as well, this is pre alpha footage, I can imagine this will be much better by launch but yeah, I don't expect it to be fantastically detailed on the ground either.

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they get the flight aspect of it right. This should be the new training standard.

They haven't revealed too much about the flight model but they did mention that they're calculating aero from over 1000 lookup tables in contrast to X-Plane which models surfaces via blade element theory. It's my understanding that good lookup tables can yield better results as long as you're working with good data.

tuhi009

May 1, 2018
this game just made me raise my right eye brows with its graphics.
doesn't have too often these days

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair as well, this is pre alpha footage, I can imagine this will be much better by launch but yeah, I don't expect it to be fantastically detailed on the ground either.

Google Earth VR has a similar outcome when you get really close to the ground. Looks amazing from the sky, but things become more.. uh... abstract when you get close to the ground since it's really hard for it to capture that fine of detail. I would be surprised if it changes much, but it's by and far a worthwhile tradeoff for how amazing it'll be when flying.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta think microsoft this thinking bigger than video games with this project

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Will be my first try at a flight sim, hope they have a fair training mode for newbies.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017

I know it's in pre-alpha and isn't final footage, but some of the 3d pop-in effect for some objects/buildings can be somewhat immersive building (especially with the cars/trucks seen driving on the roads clipping through satellite images of actual cars on the road). But, damn that Venice canal run is so good looking for a pre-alpha build.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When this appeared and people cheered for it, it felt really good. Game looks goddamn stunning. Like, no way it could be real.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting this to come to Xbox along with flight stick support? Oddly one of my most anticipated "games" right now.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks magnificent. Do these games come with arcade mode or something? How different is flying something here as opposed to say GTA?

Oct 27, 2017

I just sent this to a friends who has been very excited about Flight Sim since I first met him 20 years ago. He was very excited by the E3 trailer, I think these details will make him very, very happy.

It seems like a ridiculous amount of data processing and rendering power being used to create a game.
I'll give it a try to see just to fly over my home town and other places I recognise. I hope there's enough assists to make it something I can do without going too far down the sim route.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Looks magnificent. Do these games come with arcade mode or something? How different is flying something here as opposed to say GTA?

lol

So, more seriously, there may be some "assisted" modes where you don't have to worry about various factors and can "fly the plane" around, maybe even land successfully. There may also be some "preset scenarios" where, for e.g., it starts you up in the middle of a flight and then you have to perform some kind of maneuver or landing or whatever (along with a tutorial type thing). There will most certainly be beginner tutorials which will ease you into flying smaller planes, which are honestly not that complicated to fly.

But to give you an idea, it is absolutely normal in a flight sim "game" to first chart your flight plan out properly, start up a Boeing 747 cold, which you learn by reading a Boeing 747 operation manual -- things like enabling the APU, turning on the various flight systems, do a prep check, taxi to the runway -- all of these things before your have even left the ground in your plane. I'm not saying everyone does it, or that you ever will, but many do.

Last edited: