• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty rough numbers. They need big exclusives out yesterday.

Hardware drop this early in a gen is just weird

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Surely you would expect hardware to be up considering availability has improved? I guess lack of exclusive content is harming demand.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
The drop on revenue is expected, but they hardware sales shouldn have dropped so soon in the generation.

Maybe the revenue is lower because of the Holyday deals.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Hardware drop despite MS overshipping Series S (stores still sell the discounted Series S holiday bundles) is worrying.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
20 billion operating income in a quarter is absurd, especially with those recent layoffs happening.

Gaming revenue drops were expected.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Knew these number would be bad with those layoffs. I'm curious about Sony's numbers too. I don't think they'll be hitting their sales projections.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox numbers are not as bad as I would have expected given everything, or rather the lack thereof.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Not so surprising after the NPD leak. Regardless, I think the Series consoles are great, Game Pass is even better and hopefully their software line up turns out good over the next few years.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rough numbers all around. Considering all the discounts they had for Series S for the whole end of year period, they clearly have a demand issue for their console.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Satya Nadella is not going to be one bit happy with the Xbox performance after how much capital backing Phil Spencer has been given.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're regretting the Acti Blizz offer.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the lack of system-sellers could be an issue, but are they still feeling the effects of post-covid spending?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to bring the big guns, like now IMO

Starfield will do great, but they need more.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't expect hardware to fall off drastically this early in the generation. I know its not as bad as Xbox One numbers but still to me, this should ringing alarm bells for MS, while heading into a recession too. The Gamepass numbers also seems to be slightly growing, but don't know if Gamepass growth alone can sustain Xbox Division growth long term. I guess once there 1st party games get released this year, we'll see if last year was a blip or hardware sales are going to keep suffering the whole gen again. Maybe not overall doom and gloom, but concerning nonetheless

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Game need to be released. Promises were made with gamepass and while the service is great. There is an expectation with exclusives that haven't been met. You gotta.makenpeoole want your system with big titles that get headlines. Simple as that.

OP
OP
St. Elmo's Fire
Jul 2, 2021
The most alarming thing is the drop in hardware. The software issue is no surprise because of Microsoft's weak 2022 output.
But hardware dropping 13% so early in a gen is bad.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Satya Nadella is not going to be one bit happy with the Xbox performance after how much capital backing Phil Spencer has been given.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're regretting the Acti Blizz offer.

Don't think that will be the reaction at all.
They've bought a load of companies but most of the games released by those companies were still contracted to Sony, the system selling exclusives haven't really begun to come out yet.

Microsoft executives will obviously be aware how long games take to make and won't be expecting miracles after 3 years.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I think it really does say something towards the disorganization Microsoft Gaming leadership is in when they bought all of those studios and seem to have so little in the way of backing content.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox numbers are not looking great especially with them missing their GP forecasts a couple times in a row now as well.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Gaming revenue decreased $684 million or 13% driven by declines in Xbox content and services and Xbox hardware. Xbox content and services revenue decreased 12% on a strong prior year comparable impacted by first-party game launches, driven by declines in first-party content and a lower rate of monetization in third-party content, offset in part by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 13% driven by lower price and volume of consoles sold.

So, both less volume and more Series S (lot of them in the 50$ off deal I presume) sold than Series X compared to last year.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
They've bought a load of companies but most of the games released by those companies were still contracted to Sony, the system selling exclusives haven't really begin to come out yet.

Microsoft executives will obviously be aware how long games take to make and won't be expecting miracles after 3 years.
They have been on this buying spree for several years now yet the output has been very low. I'm sure Satya Nadella did not expect that every studio would take 4, 5 + years *from acquisition date* to output a game. Many should have been part way through projects when they were acquired.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives still matter and will continue to matter. It's honestly shocking to me how far Microsoft has dropped the ball on this and they have been in this rut for ages.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Game need to be released. Promises were made with gamepass and while the service is great. There is an expectation with exclusives that haven't been met. You gotta.makenpeoole want your system with big titles that get headlines. Simple as that.
This. Casuals don't buy consoles based on games that aren't gonna be out for years.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Fairly shocked that the market is responding positively to MSFTs overall numbers.

Market doesn't really care about minor things like Xbox and Surface and even Windows at this point. Cloud revenue was up 22% and that's the money maker. The hype around AI is also driving the positive outlook of their value.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
They have been on this buying spree for several years now yet the output has been very low. I'm sure Satya Nadella did not expect that every studio would take 4, 5 + years *from acquisition date* to output a game. Many should have been part way through projects when they were acquired.

Very good of us to presume what Satya Nadella expects lol

Output includes 2 games that had exclusivity signed with PS which MS honored too.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I think Xbox probably needs new leadership. Better management of the 1st party studios.

Wonder if the HW numbers are because of the economical situation?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Hardware is still related to stock levels of Series X.

Content degrowth was in line with their expectations if I recall last quarter's statement.
Is the stock situation worse than last year? I snagged one without too much fuss over the summer, but not sure if things have changed or if I just got lucky. I know PS5 availability has improved a lot.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Xbox probably needs new leadership. Better management of the 1st party studios.

Wonder if the HW numbers are because of the economical situation?
They definitely need to change how hands off they are with studios who miss deadlines. And I guess they are. 343 got reamed.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
They've bought a load of companies but most of the games released by those companies were still contracted to Sony, the system selling exclusives haven't really begun to come out yet.

Xbox has failed to reach the GamePass subscribers target two years in a row. Maybe they dont expect miracles, but they are expecting more for sure.