• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Company results:

· Revenue was $28.9 billion and increased 12%

· Operating income was $8.7 billion and increased 10%

· GAAP net loss was $(6.3) billion and non-GAAP net income was $7.5 billion

· GAAP diluted loss per share was $(0.82) and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $0.96

· GAAP results include a $13.8 billion net charge related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA)
DU5mpldX4AEQ66V.jpg:large

Of couse they do.
MPC division made $2.51bn profit (20.6% profit margin)
IC division made $2.83bn profit (36.3% profit margin)
P&B divison made $3.34bn profit (37.3% profit margin)

More Personal Computing:
Revenue increased $281 million or 2%, primarily due to higher revenue from Gaming and Search advertising, offset in part by lower revenue from phones.
Operating income decreased $51 million or 2%, primarily due to an increase in operating expenses.

• Gross margin was relatively unchanged, driven by a decline in Gaming, offset by an increase in Search advertising and Surface. Gross margin percentage decreased, primarily due to a gross margin percentage decline in Gaming.

• Operating expenses increased $49 million or 2%, driven by investments in engineering and the benefit of a legal settlement in the prior year, offset in part by a decrease in Windows marketing and phone expenses.

Gaming:
DU6JbTRWsAAKiI_.jpg

DU5i89zXkAYazCq.jpg:large

Gaming revenue increased $303 million or 8%, driven by higher revenue from Xbox hardware and Xbox software and services. Xbox hardware revenue increased 14%, primarily due to the launch of Xbox One X. Xbox software and services revenue increased 4%, primarily due to Xbox Live revenue growth, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from the prior year launch of video games.
Xbox Software & Service revenue ~ 2.46bn
Xbox Hardware revenue ~ 1.46bn

Early after hour trading:
DU5h03UW0AACjPk.jpg:large

DU57b8eX4AUeapj.jpg:large

Recent Tax Legislation:
On December 22, 2017, the TCJA was enacted into law, which significantly changes existing U.S. tax law and includes numerous provisions that affect our business, such as imposing a one-time transition tax on deemed repatriation of deferred foreign income, reducing the U.S. federal statutory tax rate, and adopting a territorial tax system. The TCJA requires us to incur a one-time transition tax on deferred foreign income not previously subject to U.S. income tax at a rate of 15.5% for foreign cash and certain other net current assets, and 8% on the remaining income. The TCJA also reduces the U.S. federal statutory tax rate from 35% to 21% effective January 1, 2018. For fiscal year 2018, our blended U.S. federal statutory tax rate is 28%. This is the result of using the tax rate of 35% for the first and second quarter of fiscal year 2018 and the reduced tax rate of 21% for the third and fourth quarter of fiscal year 2018. The TCJA includes a provision to tax global intangible low-taxed income ("GILTI") of foreign subsidiaries and a base erosion anti-abuse tax ("BEAT") measure that taxes certain payments between a U.S. corporation and its subsidiaries. The GILTI and BEAT provisions of the TCJA will be effective for us beginning July 1, 2018.

The TCJA is effective in the second quarter of fiscal year 2018. As of December 31, 2017, we have not completed our accounting for the tax effects of the TCJA. During the quarter, we recorded a provisional net charge based on reasonable estimates for those tax effects. The provisional net charge is subject to revisions as we complete our analysis of the TCJA, collect and prepare necessary data, and interpret any additional guidance issued by the U.S. Treasury Department, Internal Revenue Service ("IRS"), FASB, and other standard-setting and regulatory bodies. Adjustments may materially impact our provision for income taxes and effective tax rate in the period in which the adjustments are made. Our accounting for the tax effects of the TCJA will be completed during the measurement period, which should not extend beyond one year from the enactment date. The impacts of our estimates are described further below.

During the second quarter of fiscal year 2018, we recorded an estimated net charge of $13.8 billion related to the TCJA, due to the impact of the one-time transition tax on the deemed repatriation of deferred foreign income of $17.8 billion, offset in part by the impact of changes in the tax rate of $4.0 billion, primarily on deferred tax assets and liabilities.

We recorded an estimated $17.8 billion charge related to the transition tax, which was included in provision for income taxes on our consolidated income statements and income taxes on our consolidated balance sheets. We have not yet completed our accounting for the transition tax as our analysis of deferred foreign income is not complete. To calculate the transition tax, we estimated our deferred foreign income for fiscal year 2017 and the first and second quarter of fiscal year 2018 because these tax returns are not complete or due. The fiscal year 2017 and fiscal year 2018 taxable income will be known once the respective tax returns are complete and filed. In addition, U.S. and foreign audit settlements may significantly impact the estimated transition tax. The impact of the U.S. and foreign audits on the transition tax will be known as the audits are concluded.

In addition, we recorded an estimated $4.0 billion benefit from the impact of changes in the tax rate, primarily on deferred tax assets and liabilities, which was included in provision for income taxes on our consolidated income statements and deferred income taxes on our consolidated balance sheets. We remeasured our deferred taxes to reflect the reduced rate that will apply when these deferred taxes are settled or realized in future periods. We have not yet completed our accounting for the measurement of deferred taxes. To calculate the remeasurement of deferred taxes, we estimated when the existing deferred taxes will be settled or realized. The remeasurement of deferred taxes included in our financial statements will be subject to further revisions if our current estimates are different from our actual future operating results.

The TCJA subjects a U.S. corporation to tax on its GILTI. Due to the complexity of the new GILTI tax rules, we are continuing to evaluate this provision of the TCJA and the application of GAAP. Under GAAP, we can make an accounting policy election to either treat taxes due on the GILTI inclusion as a current period expense, or factor such amounts into our measurement of deferred taxes. We elected the deferred method and recorded an estimated $454 million benefit related to GILTI, which is included in the net charge related to the TCJA.

Outlook and Conference Call quotes:
Satya Nadella CEO said:
Our new Xbox One X was the top selling premium console this holiday in the U.S., and we saw strong sales of the Xbox One S. We will continue to innovate in console to attract high value gamers who want immersive, 4K experiences, to build a broader subscription service with Game Pass, and to extend our services to all the devices in our customers' lives across console, PC and mobile.

Our decision to release exclusive game content on Xbox Game Pass simultaneous with global release increases the value of the subscription for members and our partners, and we are off to a good start.

We grew gamer engagement again this quarter with 59 million monthly active Xbox Live members, record usage of our Xbox Live services, record viewers of our new streaming service, Mixer, and record Minecraft users.

Finally, we just acquired PlayFab, which serves more than 700 million gamers with more than 1200 games from companies like Disney, Rovio and Atari. It's a complete backend platform for mobile/PC/console game developers to build, launch, and scale cloud-connected games, extending our investments in Azure to provide a world-class cloud platform for the gaming industry.
Amy Hood CFO said:
In Gaming, we expect revenue growth similar to last quarter but with a revenue mix shift to software and services and continued year-over-year growth of our Xbox Live user base.

Q&A
KEITH WEISS Morgan Stanley said:
Excellent. Thank you, guys, for taking the question. Again, a really solid quarter. And, Chris, it's been great working with you. Sorry to see you go from this role.

As to my questions, one question for Satya, and starting a little narrow and maybe running it out from there, gaming in the quarter, you had a good quarter for gaming with the Xbox launch. But more broadly, there's some murmurings out there about Xbox falling behind PlayStation if you look at sort of the bases of those two consoles, there's murmurings about not having enough kind of exclusive games on the console.

I know you sort of mixed up the leadership a little bit there. How do you feel about your positioning in gaming from a narrow focus, and then more broadly how are you guys feeling about your position in the home, if you will? When I go home, I'm talking to Alexa, not talking to Cortana. Is that something that you're comfortable where we are today, is that something we should see improving on a going forward basis?
SATYA NADELLA said:
Thanks, Keith.

So let me take both of those questions. So on gaming, we feel good about Xbox One X, the premium console launch. We also feel good about the volume we got for Xbox One S, because we always wanted that halo effect of the premium console driving even the lower end console, because that creates the sockets for gaming for us.

But our real strategy going forward is not only to do great work on the console, but to complement that with the work we're doing on the PC. PC gaming is a growth market, and so therefore you see us, whether it's our subscription offer, whether it's our streaming efforts that are increasingly bringing the console plus PC together.

And then not stopping there but going to other devices, for example, mobile. Minecraft on Mobile we just launched, in fact, in the last quarter in China. We are seeing tremendous growth of Minecraft expansion on mobile platform in China. So overall, you'll see us do good work on console. We'll compete there, but more importantly we have a much more broader gaming view in terms of what value we can add with our subscription services, streaming services across all devices.

And one other point I think I made in my remarks earlier is, gaming also is a growth area for Azure. In other words, we have now increasing PaaS services that we are going to reinforce on Azure and attract more game developers. Some of the know-how that we have from Xbox is not just about the Xbox, but it's going to help developers across the board. So that I think will also transcend or lead into even media companies. So we are very excited about some of what we can get out of our investments in gaming. So that's our focus on gaming.
[...]

sources:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2018-Q2/press-release-webcast
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/789019/000156459018001129/msft-10q_20171231.htm
last quarter:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...2018q1-xbox-live-users-13-to-53-million.1425/

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Looking good for xbox.

MS has a vision. The ROI will be down the road.

Services like Office 365, XBL, and GamePass will spur growth.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, even if XBOX is going to occupy the third place in the console race, at least is great that they still keep a profit from it, isn't like SEGA how was doomed post saturn

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
So, pretty good for hardware and software was down a bit which was expected when comparing their release lineup. Feels like the games division has a solid footing beneath them with a lot of potential financially. For actual gaming they're doing almost everything right. Just gotta start churning out games in the coming years.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I dont see anything that would lead me to believe the One X has a "beastly" performance.
What am i missing ?

Probably referring to the 14% increase in hardware revenue. But that was to be expected.

That being said. Comments like "PlayStation / Xbox is a beast" don't really add much to the conversation other than being an overdone meme,

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see anything that would lead me to believe the One X has a "beastly" performance.
What am i missing ?
It says the 8% increase in revenue was driven by a 14% increase in hardware thanks to the X. Sounds like a pretty positive statement on the X

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good results, Microsoft might be lagging behind in the console race, but the division is profitable and they have a clear vision for the future. With the Game Pass becoming so crazy good, the increasingly godlike backwards compatibility and the best version of third parties, it's a great time to be on X. Here's hoping 2018 will be even better.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
OP linked 2 sources, you should check them out.

The SEC link wasn't there when that was posted. But it seems to indicate while revenue is up, profit is down, unless I'm misreading, which is entirely possible.

Operating income decreased $51 million or 2%, primarily due to an increase in operating expenses.

• Gross margin was relatively unchanged, driven by a decline in Gaming, offset by an increase in Search advertising and Surface. Gross margin percentage decreased, primarily due to a gross margin percentage decline in Gaming.

• Operating expenses increased $49 million or 2%, driven by investments in engineering and the benefit of a legal settlement in the prior year, offset in part by a decrease in Windows marketing and phone expenses.

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm seriously considering an X instead of upgrading my PC. I just wish I could choose to play at 1080 and 60 instead of 4K at 30. I'm glad that the Xbox is doing better. Competition is good.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
The SEC link wasn't there when that was posted. But it seems to indicate while revenue is up, profit is down, unless I'm misreading, which is entirely possible.

Yep, likely that One X is either being sold at a loss or the marketing budget was included in costs.

Edit: In the MS slides they actually mention the One X launch as the driver of the gross margin decline in Gaming.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Probably referring to the 14% increase in hardware revenue. But that was to be expected.

That being said. Comments like "PlayStation / Xbox is a beast" don't really add much to the conversation other than being an overdone meme,

I mean yeah - the 14% increase is more or less what we expected. Would have been weird to generate less money spent on hardware when they just launched a new more expensive revision.

Could have ignored the "beastly" comment but just wanted to make sure if i wasnt missing some additional key information from the stats posted.

It says the 8% increase in revenue was driven by a 14% increase in hardware thanks to the X. Sounds like a pretty positive statement on the X

Yeah thats fine, just thought the comment might be referring to something else in regard to the One X.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Still no much information about the split, so we can only guess. Xbox S get a nice price drop in holiday don't they?

Nothing yet. But based on publicly available data and a bit of extrapolation, it's clear that the One X is off to a strong start.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Still no much information about the split, so we can only guess. Xbox S get a nice price drop in holiday don't they?

Not that it particularly matters but re: the revenue bump, it's not a matter of guessing.

"Xbox hardware revenue increased 14%, primarily due to the launch of Xbox One X."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Still no hard sales numbers that I'm aware of, though.)

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Good results, Microsoft might be lagging behind in the console race, but the division is profitable and they have a clear vision for the future. With the Game Pass becoming so crazy good, the increasingly godlike backwards compatibility and the best version of third parties, it's a great time to be on X. Here's hoping 2018 will be even better.

Strictly speaking they don't disclose the profit of their gaming division, just revenue, BUT:

- Xbox One X not sold at a loss
- no costly 1st-party investments during last year
- huge PUBG numbers
- MAU going up

makes it safe to say that they are in the black. Nothing really special as of now, but good result.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that it particularly matters but re: the revenue bump, it's not a matter of guessing.
S.p.l.i.t
Get now? Of course XboxX boost the hardware, but we still don't have numbers or what the division of the sales. Unless you're saying 14% = Xbox One X ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we get like raw data anymore soon of pure sold. Gameindustry.biz had a good article about it.

Microsoft, at its heart, is a software and services company.

It always has been. It makes operating systems, word processors and offers Cloud services. That is at the core of the company's identity.

By contrast, Sony is a hardware business. It builds Walkmans and TVs and smartphones.

Of course, they dabble in each other's worlds. But this core difference is key to understanding the slightly different approaches both companies have to their gaming divisions.

Sony is rightly proud of its 73.6 million PS4 install base. The more PlayStations the company sells, the happier it is.

Microsoft wants to sell a load of Xbox Ones, too. Of course it does. But it's not the No.1 metric that it uses to judge its success. Microsoft - as a software and services business at its heart - wants to have a large audience of people using its software and services. That can be on Xbox One X, or PC, or (whisper it) even a PlayStation console.

I often encounter gamers bemused by the fact Xbox One exclusives are launching on PC. They suggest that this will only damage the overall appeal of Xbox One. But Phil Spencer and his team don't really care. If you're playing Sea of Thieves on PC, or Minecraft on Nintendo Switch, you are (in effect) a Microsoft customer. Customers are good.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-01-23-xbox-is-preparing-for-a-post-console-future

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This info would be interesting to keep in mind now that gamepass is getting all kinds of promotion. I wonder if MAU gets a boost because of it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Are those 59m may on the Xbone family or does it also count the 360?

That includes things like the Windows 10 Xbox app usage and 360, so it's a lot of stuff together.

S.p.l.i.t
Get now? Of course XboxX boost the hardware, but we still don't have numbers or what the division of the sales. Unless you're saying 14% = Xbox One X

Nothing should have given you that impression, I directly quoted the write-up. You were responding to a convo thread that originally questioned the 1X role in the results. No need to be rude.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This info would be interesting to keep in mind now that gamepass is getting all kinds of promotion. I wonder if MAU gets a boost because of it.

I'm not sure how much of a boost games like Sea of Theives, State of Decay 2, and Crackdown 3 will give to their MAU count. But the big titles like Halo 6 and Forza Horizon 4 will definitely grow the base.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on how this has gone down in the past, we probably never will either. Probably comes out to around 1 in 6 Xbox's based on the percentage. Roughly. Nothing firm but just speculation.
Hum... I think this is the best we can get.
That includes things like the Windows 10 Xbox app usage and 360, so it's a lot of stuff together.
Nothing should have given you that impression, I directly quoted the write-up. You were responding to a convo thread that originally questioned the 1X role in the results. No need to be rude.
Sry if I rude, but I get what you're saying. Still they gave us a bit vague information. Just don't reply people like that.

Last edited:

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
If software and services are what's more important, you might as well go all the way and go third party right?

Anyways it would be shocking if revenue didn't go up considering a more expensive new console is out. Profit is what we need to focus on.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If software and services are what's more important, you might as well go all the way and go third party right?

Anyways it would be shocking if revenue didn't go up considering a more expensive new console is out. Profit is what we need to focus on.

That doesn't make any sense, you think Sony would allow Xbox Live, Games with Gold and Gamepass on the PS4?

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft isn't suddenly gonna give up Gold subscriptions and third party royalties.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I want to quote someone in the EA takeover thread who said Xbox is a failure, You know who you are.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice one! Good to see MS gaming healthy, now the wait for Sea Of Thieves can begin.