• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Gaming revenue decreased $233 million or 10%. Xbox hardware revenue declined 48%, primarily due to a decrease in volume of consoles sold. Xbox software and services revenue declined 3% against a high prior year comparable from a third-party title, offset in part by subscriptions growth.

nCK8Y2l.png

Microsofts-Gaming-Revenue-Trend.jpg

Xbox-Live-Monthly-Active-Users.jpg

Overall company results are madness:
  • · Revenue was $33.7 billion and increased 12%
  • · Operating income was $12.4 billion and increased 20%
  • · Net income was $13.2 billion GAAP and $10.6 billion non-GAAP, and increased 49% and 21%, respectively
  • · Diluted earnings per share was $1.71 GAAP and $1.37 non-GAAP, and increased 50% and 21%, respectively
  • · GAAP results include a $2.6 billion net income tax benefit explained in the Non-GAAP Definition section below
Microsoft-Corporation-Q4-2019-Earnings-Infographic.jpg

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is Phil out of a job?

No great surprise here tbh. I bet they can't wait for next gen to start, it'll have been a long 7 years for them.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I hope they make better Xbox One S All-Digital Edition bundles/value now. Like that Amazon Prime Day one.

I can't see it selling many units for that price when next-gen is so close.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Considering those hardware sales you can see why MS/Xbox is speeding up the process of becoming more of a service/software provider.

Getting xCloud and GamePass on as many devices as possible will be essential for them.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. I guess it's near end of gen but still those are brutal declines. Microsoft overall is killing it though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how XBL will grow the coming year with Steam being added, Minecraft Earth coming and phones OS being supported and PC gamepass

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Live monthly active users grew 14% though, that's all that matters at this point in the console generation.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Services declining despite the big push for gamepass and bigger userbase is not something I expected. And that 50% hardware decline is massive.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Nothing out of the ordinary on the declines, but I am surprised at the Live growth and the mention of sub growth is probably more important for them right now.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What third party title are they saying drove Sofware and Services last year?

I'm guessing thats due to Fortnite revenue being down, which they get a 30% cut of?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Services declining despite the big push for gamepass and bigger userbase is not something I expected. And that 50% hardware decline is massive.
That's software + services for the quarter alone. There will have been a massive software decline given how badly Crackdown 3 flopped, it won't have been selling any further copies by Q4. And considering the same quarter last year Microsoft had just launched Sea of Thieves like a week prior, and also launched State of Decay 2 (which reached #1 on May US NPD).

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Xbox One X with all that power is still not enough to make people buy the thing by droves. Also Next Gen around the corner makes people wait for the Nextbox.

Lackluster E3 also did not help I guess.
They should implement a further price cut for the One X.

Services revenue slightly decline 3% but MAU way up. Gamepass and all those 1 dollar deals, so this is to be expected.

Long term we will have to see.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen right around the corner.
Still good numbers.
Can't wait for Scarlett.
Nadella has been pushing cloud/services big time. he has also been signing on some big names and pushing more enterprise services/products, it will only get bigger and they stand to make a lot more from Azure. They've also been doubling down on innovative new software products. They just signed on two major voting machine companies to use their new election guard software.

Last edited:

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Nadella has been pushing cloud/services big time. he has also been signing on some big names, it will only get bigger and they stand to make a lot more from Azure.

One of the greatest business pivots I've ever seen to save an old company and make them fresh again. I've been enjoying my AMZN these past few years due to AWS but man I did not see Azure coming.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The sales dip for the consoles shows you why MS has no problem starting their conversation on the Scarlett. The Xbox one family will not have a very long stay post Scarlett launch.

Oct 25, 2017
No, the fact that everything they've done and will do this generation being preparation for the next generation is what keeps Phil safe. If we enter years 2-3 of the next Xbox, and it's not performing, then there's legitimate cause for concern.
Cloud performance is gonna be part of the bulk of how this comes around as a whole. If it remains improving THIS gen, that builds the foundation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seems like Xbox SAD was not attractive to consumers at all, especially at its current price point, as I expected most don't want to give up on the option of buying physical

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Xbox SAD was not attractive to consumers at all, especially at its current price point, as I expected most don't want to give up on the option of buying physical

Isn't it only available at the Microsoft store? Makes it far less appealing when you can't find them on sale at a Walmart/Target.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is Phil out of a job?

Xbox is following the company strategy. Services and cloud. If Xbox contribute to that its all it needs.
They are just starting also. All setting up for next gen. If gamepass and xcloud and live etc doesnt do good. Then yeah. But that seems quite unlikely at this point.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017

As someone who was strongly interested in the All Digital edition, they just didn't put enough effort into it. The console itself didn't physically change, which made it seem kinda like a lameduck product. Add that to the fact that the price was basically the same as the regular S that you can find on promotion at most retailers and this whole effort was DOA.

I don't own an Xbox One and I was basically thinking this was my entry point along with Gamepass and they swung and missed badly.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Whelp. There's just no good way to spin that news.

We still have 16 months to go until the next generation of Xbox launches.
It's shit. But there's no spinning necessary. Quite the opposite, Phil has been pretty honest about the state of affairs over recent years, gaming being treated like a 'garage band' within Microsoft, lack of investment etc. This is the result of that. And despite big changes internally, and their new found mojo and confidence, it'll be next gen before we see the results.

But it's all good, because we're about to witness a generation where all three major players are truly firing on all cylinders, and then there's Stadia throwing their hat in the ring too. Fun times ahead.
Xbox is following the company strategy. Services and cloud. If Xbox contribute to that its all it needs.
They are just starting also. All setting up for next gen. If gamepass and xcloud and live etc doesnt do good. Then yeah. But that seems quite unlikely at this point.
I was being facetious and a little naughty.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Even the X didn't help.

Microsoft really needs some must play first party games. And they really need to be something new, and not the same old franchises.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox has almost another year and a half of performances like this...

May 17, 2018
No, the fact that everything they've done and will do this generation being preparation for the next generation is what keeps Phil safe. If we enter years 2-3 of the next Xbox, and it's not performing, then there's legitimate cause for concern.

Man, I feel like this has been the mantra for anything Xbox related for the last, like, 4 years. Always gotta keep waiting for them to pick it up.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
What? How did you spin that into this? There's no evidence whatsoever that Game Pass is slowing games sales down. Not yet, at least.
Reduced third party game sales. Why buy it when you will eventually have it on gamepass. It isn't such a leap in logic. It's not the full picture but it's one of the reasons.