• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What? How did you spin that into this? There's no evidence whatsoever that Game Pass is slowing games sales down. Not yet, at least.

Well, we know Game Pass currently isn't helping Xbox either. For such a killer app of a service it's not enticing many new people to buy into the platform.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just a quarter, but hardware down 48% and software and services flat is indicative of momentum coming to a hault.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"partially offset by subscription growth"

Gamepass is starting to eat into their game sales. The higher their subscription gets, the worse their game sales becomes. Only time will tell if subs will compensate for the lost sales.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That hardware decline is massive. I wonder what sort of decline the PS4 and Switch will see this quarter vs last year's (if the Switch even sees any). I'm also surprised gaming revenue decreased, and software and services revenue declined too what with the huge push Game Pass has been getting. It makes you wonder if Game Pass can actually help turn things around for Xbox next gen, because it doesn't appear to be turning things around for them this gen.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Game Pass was introduced to offset the decline of revenue in hardware and software sales. It makes the revenue look okay but we have no idea about the profit. It doesn't really matter because MS is footing the bill.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love what Xbox is right now but there's literally no point in buying an Xbox right now when next gen and all of the new games will be coming starting next year.

There's basically nothing worth buying a console over coming before next gen starts and everyone that wanted an Xbox probably already had one. PS4 still has a lot of good games coming out before PS5. Xbox is all in on next gen and it's smart because focusing on the Xbox one would be a waste of time.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has almost another year and a half of performances like this...
Sony is gonna suffer as well albeit on a smaller scale. It's just expected at the end of the gen for hardware to plummet. What matters is that Xbox as a division is much better prepared for next gen that they were for this one.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this gen is ending. And Xbox is taking the hardest hit. Holidays 2020 can't come soon enough.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think Game Pass was introduced to offset the decline of revenue in hardware and software sales. It makes the revenue look okay but we have no idea about the profit. It doesn't really matter because MS is footing the bill.

You think the started Gamepass for this as a short term?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we know Game Pass currently isn't helping Xbox either. For such a killer app of a service it's not enticing many new people to buy into the platform.

In hardware sales, sure, it maybe isn't helping, although we know that MAU has gone up. One thing doesn't really correlate with the other, though.

Reduced third party game sales. Why buy it when you will eventually have it on gamepass. It isn't such a leap in logic. It's not the full picture but it's one of the reasons.

Yeah i imagined that it was only speculation, won't really waste my time arguing with this, although it's good to remember that there hasn't been a single big release from a third party day one on Game Pass and according to Matt from NPD, Game Pass isn't eating into any sales at all (exclusives or otherwise)

OP
OP

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Stock is up after hours
Of course. Microsoft beat estimates by a lot. Like they always do.

"partially offset by subscription growth"

Gamepass is starting to eat into their game sales. The higher their subscription gets, the worse their game sales becomes. Only time will tell if subs will compensate for the lost sales.
No. That phrase means the revenue decline of the ONE third party title (primarily) responsible for the overall 3% Games & Service decline was offset by subscription revenue growth.
So without the subscription revenue growth, the overall decline would've been bigger than 3%

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is a sweet deal, but it's too good of a deal in my opinion. All of these games popping up day one can't help individual game sales. I refuse to believe it.

A few of the games I'm getting my fill of on Game Pass are titles I'll no longer buy, because I've no need to.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game Pass is a sweet deal, but it's too good of a deal in my opinion. All of these games popping up day one can't help individual game sales. I refuse to believe it.

A few of the games I'm getting my fill of on Game Pass are titles I'll no longer buy, because I've no need to.

Yeah, I got three years of Game Pass thanks to that Ultimate deal. It's going to cut my AAA and Indie console purchases by a LOT. Only games I plan on buying are some Sony and Nintendo exclusives. The rest will be 'wait for GP.'

I can't imagine I'm the only one and I do think over time people will be trained to not buy games for $60 and just wait for it on a sub. It's going to make a big impact.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Impressive results, they already beat the Q2 (holiday!) MAU numbers!
Game Pass will become more and more important.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That hardware decline seems pretty huge.

Xbox already has Game Pass and also the most powerful console available currently. Do we really think a new console launch will turn everything around? Serious question. I know certain fans here are very eager for the new Scarlet box but is it enough for the masses overall?

Edit: I know I'll get slammed by a few posters here and I'm expecting that. My post is in no way an 'MS is doomed' post, I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture as to where or how they're headed.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Xbox already has Game Pass and also the most powerful console available currently. Do we really think a new console launch will turn everything around? Serious question. I know certain fans here are very eager for the new Scarlet box but is it enough for the masses overall?
As long as Game Pass subscriptions are growing, I don't see a problem.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Yeah, I do.

That first November Microsoft will sell every Gen 9 Xbox they make. There's no reason to think otherwise.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
didn't expect decreases in services revenue but I guess that's due to the heavy investment they have to be making in the expansion of gamepass.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Its part if the puzzle.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive results, they already beat the Q2 (holiday!) MAU numbers!
Game Pass will become more and more important.

Every metric in the OP shows a decline but MAUs. That's not impressive.

MS overall is massively impressive. These Xbox results? No.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
They are still giving away game pass for a dollar every 2 months. All their exclusives have been reduced to zero value, thanks to GP (which is amazing to us, the users).

I don't know how they want to make money from the gaming division.

Deleted member 11173

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is incredibly diversified and can hand a few down quarters while they get the next gen going. No worries here, the ship, the hype, and the ecosystem is all heading in the right direction.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are still giving away game pass for a dollar every 2 months. All their exclusives have been reduced to zero value, thanks to GP (which is amazing to us, the users).

They are buying their way to a subscription userbase. Soon those deals will stop and they'll introduce new revenue streams like 'xcloud' sub and whatnot.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Those 1 buck deals wont last. When next gen is here, gamepass is bigger, the studios they bought are putting stuff out, combines with more third party stuff. You come at a point its a no brainer to be subbed.
Then those deals are not coming that frequently and you pay 10 bucks a month.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the next Xbox won't launch for another year and some months next gen isnt right around the corner, it's 4-5 quarters aways and results won't show for years.

So the bad news will likely continue

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Reduced third party game sales. Why buy it when you will eventually have it on gamepass. It isn't such a leap in logic. It's not the full picture but it's one of the reasons.

That's like saying nobody is buying PS4 games since it'll eventually show up on PS Now or PS+.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Comparing fy2018 and 2019, the gaming revenue is up.

FY 2018 - 10.553b
FY 2019 - 11.386b
FY2020 will be the real test with huge Xbox hardware revenue decline.
But they have bigger games this FY and also the Elite V2 controller (that thing costs the same as a discounted Xbox One S) to offset console.
FY2021 is the next Xbox and will be up anyway

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Those 1 buck deals wont last. When next gen is here, gamepass is bigger, the studios they bought are putting stuff out, combines with more third party stuff. You come at a point its a no brainer to be subbed.
Then those deals are not coming that frequently and you pay 10 bucks a month.

Yup. I can't take advantage of any of the nice Audible deals, for example. New customers only.
Same reason why I have a full price Kindle Unlimited subscription running. They got me with a free 3 months promo.

Same reason why Apple Music has caught up to Spotify in the US. After the introductory offer of 3 free months on signup, it's trapped folks into a recurring $10 subscription.

These deals won't last forever.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If Gamepass increased shouldn't software sales have been up?

Personally having Game Pass has changed my buying habits on my Xbox. I find I buy next to nothing on there now as I have like 30+ Game Pass games installed and more games being added monthly. I just can't justify buying other games when there is a chance some of them will end up on GP anyway.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Personally having Game Pass has changed my buying habits on my Xbox. I find I buy next to nothing on there now as I have like 30+ Game Pass games installed and more games being added monthly. I just can't justify buying other games when there is a chance some of them will end up on GP anyway.

I mean this has happened in every other industry where subscriptions have taken hold but apparently Gamepass increased game sales. So I would figure an uptick in Gamepass subs would cause an equal uptick in software sales.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
That's like saying nobody is buying PS4 games since it'll eventually show up on PS Now or PS+.
But it is happening.

Third-party Xbox Game Pass games with a release date:

• Blair Witch (August 30th)
Third-party Xbox Game Pass games without a release date:

• Blazing Chrome (TBA)
  • Creature in the Well (TBA)
  • CrossCode (TBA)
  • Dead Static Drive (TBA)
  • Felix the Reaper (TBA)
  • Ikenfell (TBA)
  • Killer Queen Black (TBA)
  • Lord of the Rings (TBA)
  • Night Call (TBA)
  • Pathologic 2(TBA)
  • Phoenix Point (TBA)
  • Riverbond (TBA)
  • Secret Neighbor (TBA)
  • Spiritfarer (TBA)
  • Spirit Renegades (TBA)
  • Supermarket Shriek (TBA)
  • The Good Life (TBA)
  • Totally Accurate Battle Simulator (TBA)
  • Totem Teller (TBA)
  • UnderMine (TBA)
  • Unto the End (TBA)
  • Way to the Woods (TBA)

Not to mention around 6 games added per month compared to XBLG/PS+ 1-3 games for older titles. Besides it's not people waiting for a game to be released in the subscription but people seeing the titles they want to buy are already in the subscription so they forgo buying them and instead op in to the much cheaper gamepass subscription instead.