• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

After a close review of guidance by global health authorities and out of an abundance of caution, we've made the difficult decision to withdraw from participating at Game Developers Conference 2020 in San Francisco. The health and safety of players, developers, employees, and our partners around the world is our top priority. Especially as the world is experiencing growing public health risks associated with coronavirus (COVID-19).

In light of this, we plan to move our presence to a digital-only event March 16-18th held on www.microsoft.com/gamestack. This event will feature the majority of our planned game developer sessions and experiences, which will be streamed live and available on demand.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
What was it about Sony looking weak or something? Yeah those comments aged real well. Muppets the lot of them.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The virus has popped up in multiple countries with no obvious connection to a known infection. In other words, its out there and not contained, or even tracked. At this point holding a large public event is just moronic.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If they cancel GDC, they'll probably do it soon since it's just a little more than 2 weeks away.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's a matter of time till GDC gets cancelled and it was obvious all along. Actually, I'm shocked that some companies are so slow at cancelling their presence.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
The financial hit some of those companies will be taking. Ouch.
Health priority overall, but I'm sure some financial team are crying at the millions/hundreds of thousands lost.

I know my wife's company just pulled out and they lost around 75k out of it. And they basically have one of the smaller booth

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if Xbox will still be there, or we'll hear about them pulling out soon too.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
They'll have to cancel GDC. All the big names gone, new cases of the virus in NORCAL, and San Fran in a state of emergency. It just doesn't look good to keep it going.

E3 3 months away. Probably next.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
A sound and logic decision in my opinion. Concerning of course, but kudos to Microsoft for transferring their announced sessions to a different format online.

Jun 23, 2019
Nah, MS just didn't want to embarrass Sony with their weak ass specs for the PS5 so they pulled out to help them out.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
"In light of this, we plan to move our presence to a digital-only event March 16-18th held on www.microsoft.com/gamestack. This event will feature the majority of our planned game developer sessions and experiences, which will be streamed live and available on demand."

Isn't it the same info in streaming form?
It's making fun of the people in the Sony thread where they announced they backed out

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, not looking good for GDC this year.

Also, let's see if people have learned their lesson about making "it's just the flu herp derp" posts in this thread.

OP
OP
jbug617

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you don't have anything to show, right?
/s
they are moving it online and will stream it instead.

ERzRzvTW4AE8mBt

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just Sony. Oh, what happened, guys? Thought it was unnecessary. Let's see if the reactions to this are the same as Sony pulling out. Seriously, your dumb video games were never more important than public health.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Not sure about that, I think it's one initiative within MS. As of right now, Microsoft Game Studios speakers are still on the GDC schedule. But I would say it's rather up in the air now.
I believe Game Stack encompasses the entire developer-facing Microsoft world, so at GDC it was going to fully represent MS and Xbox. In fact, they mention speeches by "the creators of Minecraft and Gears of War, and hear from Xbox Game Studios teams Double Fine, inXile, Compulsion, Rare, Obsidian, and Undead Labs".

I thought it was just Sony. Oh, what happened, guys? Thought it was unnecessary. Let's see if the reactions to this are the same as Sony pulling out. Seriously, your dumb video games aren't more important public health.
Those reactions were an exaggerated dramatization, but Sony just canceled their panels while Microsoft didn't cancel anything. They moved them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.