• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Completely disagree here. Currently no one has the license in terms of video games - the various owners of the IP don't want to be in a situation where they are not getting paid by anyone / taking royalties, residing over the death of what was once a strong revenue earner for them.

If Microsoft / Nintendo came to them I'd imagine they'd bite their hand off to cut a deal because it could completely revitalise a portion of their estate/business that has been completely ridden into the ground to the point where no one is even bothering making Bond videogames.

A deal for the remaster + new game is more likely now then ever - look at Crash / Spyro sales for justification in terms of sales. If done right and marketed well a Goldeneye remaster on Switch / Xbox would I think pretty easily be a 10 million + seller if priced around $29.99

Well, EON is a little different. Just because no one has the video game license doesn't make it cheaper, they are very strict about merchandising. That's why you don't see James Bond toys and memorabilia often. They don't care, either pay us or there is no Bond video game. It's possible to acquire the video game license but I don't think they would sell it for just one game. Maybe a multi game deal including a tie in for the next movie. And after Activision's questionable offerings for the franchise, I expect them to be vary about the quality.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What Microsof get from this:

1) They sell more games
2) They become more popular in Japan
3) With Crossplay, they assure a big pool of gamers for online games o XBOX ecosystem
4) They create a new service for third parties on Switch: have achivements on switch by buying their online solution for third parties
5) They can sell the idea: "Did you liked Halo? Now play it in 4k on a true home console XBOX ONE X"
6) They can create a partneship with nintendo for future gamepass
7) They can try to sell to nintendo their xbox live solution: Nintendo can use their servers for better online
8) Microsoft can try to put Masterchief or Marcus on Smash (free marketing for them and money with IP license)

In the end, most of the profit comes with IP recognition and selling online services for third parties, including Nitnendo.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
What Microsof get from this:

1) They sell more games
2) They become more popular in Japan
3) With Crossplay, they assure a big pool of gamers for online games o XBOX ecosystem
4) They create a new service for third parties on Switch: have achivements on switch by buying their online solution for third parties
5) They can sell the idea: "Did you liked Halo? Now play it in 4k on a true home console XBOX ONE X"
6) They can create a partneship with nintendo for future gamepass
7) They can try to sell to nintendo their xbox live solution: Nintendo can use their servers for better online
8) Microsoft can try to put Masterchief or Marcus on Smash (free marketing for them and money with IP license)

In the end, most of the profit comes with IP recognition and selling online services for third parties, including Nitnendo.
Yea. I think 4 and 7 are the especially big, but very quiet ones. Remember, Microsoft is not just (or even primarily) a consumer facing company. Why does Microsoft want to be on Switch? Because it means a ton more people using Microsoft services - especially developers. You might already be making games with Havok and SImplyGon developed from Visual Studio, because it lets you target Xbox, PC, PS4, mobile, and Switch. Now that you have Xbox Live integration, you don't have to roll your own party or chat systems. It makes the whole package more attractive when you can write less and get the same functionality across almost every major platform (PS4 and Google excepted. For now.) And if you're already gonna do that, then why not take the next step and build for Xbox too. Maybe make a deal with Game Pass or xCloud. That's a big deal.

On the Nintendo side, I think it's almost unfortunate that NSO is getting people to sign up. The quality still just isn't there and could be much improved with Microsoft's help. But look, people seem happy to pay for it, so it is what it is. (Another reason why I think it's silly that people think MS is going to stop selling XBL Gold). Microsoft could still come in and license some backend services to Nintendo. It would be very cool if Nintendo's friend system or chat system could be rebuilt on top of Xbox's foundation. Potential win-win for both companies.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
My dream is that they now let Nintendo develop a game using the Rare IP. Did someone say a Retro developed Banjo Threeie? Or, dare I say it, Conker 2 : revenge of the teddiz?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dream is that they now let Nintendo develop a game using the Rare IP. Did someone say a Retro developed Banjo Threeie? Or, dare I say it, Conker 2 : revenge of the teddiz?

Well since Retro is working on Metroid Prime ... what would happen if Nintendo contracted Rare to do the next Donkey Kong Country game? lol, talk about coming full circle.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Nintendo is going to let Retro Studios work on an Xbox game... but weirder things have happened before, I suppose.

Rare X Playtonic is still my ideal dream team for Banjo-Threeie though.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo is going to let Retro Studios work on an Xbox game... but weirder things have happened before, I suppose.

Rare X Playtonic is still my ideal dream team for Banjo-Threeie though.
But now the dream of a multi-platform release is a real probability.

E3 this year is gonna be nuts. Sony has left so now it will be a Microsoft-Nintendo love in. Everyone wins!

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading through this thread, it feels like people have forgotten the credible rumours about xCloud and Game Pass coming to Switch. This is indeed, just the beginning.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
But now the dream of a multi-platform release is a real probability.

E3 this year is gonna be nuts. Sony has left so now it will be a Microsoft-Nintendo love in. Everyone wins!
I don't think it being a multiplatform release would matter to Nintendo. An XGS-developed multiplat is more likely, imo.

...but even then all of this is still just a rumour. We've yet to see a 1st party game get announced since this rumour started.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread, it feels like people have forgotten the credible rumours about xCloud and Game Pass coming to Switch. This is indeed, just the beginning.
xCloud could make sense to me since its a streaming service, but i dont see how Game Pass would work. Thats about downloading games if i'm not mistaken, and then it requires that all those games are ported to Switch first. Wont really be that existed with Game Pass if only a handful of games are available.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
xCloud could make sense to me since its a streaming service, but i dont see how Game Pass would work. Thats about downloading games if i'm not mistaken, and then it requires that all those games are ported to Switch first. Wont really be that existed with Game Pass if like 2-3 games are available.
What do you think xCloud will be exactly? Most assume xCloud and Game Pass will merge together somehow.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think xCloud will be exactly? Most assume xCloud and Game Pass will merge together somehow.
I think xCloud will be Microsoft's game streaming service. This would technically work on "any" device.

Yeah, i can definitely see xCloud and Game Pass merge together. I would assume that most, if not all, games that are available on Game Pass right now could be available through streaming as well. Similar to how it works with PS Now for example. You can choose to stream all the games available, and selected games are also available for download.

I could see that such solution would come to the Switch, and that the download option isnt there (or maybe for a handful of games that have been ported to the Switch). But thats basicaly the xCloud part only, not the Game Pass part.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Sea Of Thieves for Switch.

Do it you cowards, I would buy that console in a heartbeat.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for whatever they bring over. There is s massive hole missing on the switch. If they could get a version of forza running I think it would destroy in sales.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
will probably vary by title but basically no different than the xbox console. All of their business models can transfer over to include streaming.

Own a digital game? play it locally or via streaming.

Subscribe to Game Pass or another subscription service? Play locally or via streaming.

Just think of xcloud as the exact same thing as the console but in the cloud. No extra streaming fees.

edit: funny parallels with Microsoft and Google's Gaming Cloud and Enterprise cloud stuff. Microsoft goes with a mix of on-premise and cloud services. Google goes all cloud services.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I think Xcloud is going to be a feature and not a subscription. At least in the beginning.

You'll be able to use it for games that you've bought individually and for games that you rent through Game Pass.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
will probably vary by title but basically no different than the xbox console. All of their business models can transfer over to include streaming.

Own a digital game? play it locally or via streaming.

Subscribe to Game Pass or another subscription service? Play locally or via streaming.

Just think of xcloud as the exact same thing as the console but in the cloud. No extra streaming fees.

edit: funny parallels with Microsoft and Google's Gaming Cloud and Enterprise cloud stuff. Microsoft goes with a mix of on-premise and cloud services. Google goes all cloud services.

Even their new VDI solution mirrors that strategy - some local compute + some in the cloud