• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
They have been granted patenton a 3.5mm receptacle modification which would be ideal even for thinner smartphone models. It is essentially the same 3.5mm jack but the socket is flexible. It accepts standard TRS or TRRS plugs and expands when a plug is in place. However, it retracts back down when not in use. Springs apply tension so that the fit is snug, and ensures that the socket closes back down after pulling out.
microsoft-patent-headphone-jack.jpg

expand.jpg

More at the links.
eTeknix
Link
Windows Central

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Windows Phone 11 on the Lumia X50 will be great!

Edit: on a more serious note, looks like a pretty smart way to tackle the "problem" of the headphone jack. Curious to see if we'll ever see it implented in anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
what's the deal with ultra-thin phones anyway

you can fit more battery in a slightly thicker phone and get a better battery-to-screen-size ratio

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of like those expandable ethernet ports on some laptops. Fits a full-size ethernet jack when plugged in but otherwise shrinks down to sit flush with the chassis.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a replacement for the current jack. It's a replacement for no jack at all.
Which is true, but a better replacement would be, y'know, the jack that already exists.

I guess to be fair I don't see much of an issue outside of the fact that they patented it and if it helps keep 3.5mm around that's a good thing, but it also seems like a response to a completely unnecessary problem. This shouldn't need to exist.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Figure 6C is impressive. I'm curious how this sizes up compared to the existing jack in terms of overall volume.

I'm also curious about water resistance in the implementation.

OP
OP
Morgan J

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Which is true, but a better replacement would be, y'know, the jack that already exists.

I guess to be fair I don't see much of an issue outside of the fact that they patented it and if it helps keep 3.5mm around that's a good thing, but it also seems like a response to a completely unnecessary problem. This shouldn't need to exist.
I underhand your thinking, but people want thinner(actually more good looking) phones so technology moves forward.

No 3.5 is a dealbreaker for me so I'm happy this might come to exist. Hopefully.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what problem this solves? If you're removing the 3.5mm jack to use the space for other things, this doesn't really let you do that, because you have to account for what happens to the internal space of the phone when this port "expands". If your goal is "thinner phones", then... again, what happens when this port expands?

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Nah this will go to Android, or they are still making stupid decisions.

I don't think Microsoft would have an interest in making an Android phone. Making profits through hardware is not what they do, with their hardware products they want people to use their software. So unless they have a very complete ecosystem in Android with the hardware works great with, I don't really see them doing that now. Maybe a phone that works on the same Windows 10 as other devices do though.

I don't see what problem this solves? If you're removing the 3.5mm jack to use the space for other things, this doesn't really let you do that, because you have to account for what happens to the internal space of the phone when this port "expands". If your goal is "thinner phones", then... again, what happens when this port expands?

Only a tiny part of the phone expends, so you still have a mostly thin phone. Besides that, consumers at least have the choice to make their phones bigger when desiring a 3.5mm jack.

OP
OP
Morgan J

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Microsoft would have an interest in making an Android phone. Making profits through hardware is not what they do, with their hardware products they want people to use their software. So unless they have a very complete ecosystem in Android with the hardware works great with, I don't really see them doing that now. Maybe a phone that works on the same Windows 10 as other devices do though.

I meant more in line of manufacturers using the patent :)

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Presumably the part that expands would be on the casing of the phone (see Fig 6b and 6c), otherwise you would be correct, in that there aren't any functional space savings.

I would love to see a prototype.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only a tiny part of the phone expends, so you still have a mostly thin phone. Besides that, consumers at least have the choice to make their phones bigger when desiring a 3.5mm jack.

What materials would this phone be made out of to let it expand like this in just one localized area, though? Most phones are made out of glass and metals or plastics that aren't really built to do this.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I meant more in line of manufacturers using the patent :)

Hmn maybe, although it might also be useful for the Surface products.

What materials would this phone be made out of to let it expand like this in just one localized area, though? Most phones are made out of glass and metals or plastics that aren't really built to do this.

Not sure, but pictures of the patent also show mockups of that idea.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-aims-defend-3-5mm-headphone-jack-new-patent/

headphone-jack-patent-5.jpg

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is frikken genius.
What a clever patent if they get it.

Im sure the big phone manufacturers have their own versions of this that wouldnt infringe on the patent, but i want this on my next slim phone ASAP!

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The primary issue with 3.5mm jack on phones isn't thickness, its the internal space used by the jack

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting concept but I'd rather they just stop trying to make phones thinner so they can fit a bigger battery.

Oct 25, 2017
As noted, the thickness isn't really the main engineering concern, it's the physical space inside the phone for the jack. Apple has in fact been making recent mobile devices slightly thicker (and they don't seem to be willing to skimp on the camera to cut down on the size too) so until we see a revolution in flex displays and battery tech I don't think we'll be seeing impossibly thin phones any time in the imminent future.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
The primary issue with 3.5mm jack on phones isn't thickness, its the internal space used by the jack

I mean that's what they say but I think it's really about moving to a future that is more locked down and also being able to sell more accessories (Bluetooth headphones).

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point. In the next year or two, won't everyone be using Bluetooth headphones?