• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
-Open to cross-play across all platforms, whether it's Steam, Win10, Xbox, Android, iOS, Switch, and PS4.
-Allows (or is in the process of allowing) Steam-like refunds for any game you've played less than 2 hours and owned less than 14 days.

-Supports BC for 360 and original Xbox games.
-Supports X enhancements for BC games (both 360 and original Xbox)
-Any BC game that you already own digitally or on disc works without paying extra
-Microsoft shows they won't hold back a BC title just because it has a remaster, i.e. Halo games are BC even though MCC exists, Gears 1 is BC even though the Gears Ultimate remaster exists, etc...

-Multiple available subscription options: Gold, Ea Access, Games Pass
-Moving forward all their 1st-party titles launch day and date with Game Pass
-All (with a few exceptions I believe) their 1st-party titles have free cross-buy with Win10

-Although they've made new 1st-party investments and it's expected the vast majority of their titles will be exclusive to Xbox/Win10, they occasionally have their own 1st-party published games releasing to Steam (Ori, Killer Instinct, etc...)
-Related to the above point, but they aren't trying to force Gearbox to cut PS4 out of the We Happy Few release (a game made by their new 1st-party dev Compulsion Games), they're allowing Ninja Theory to complete a PS4 HDR patch for Hellblade, and they continue to release Minecraft on all consoles.

Is there anything I'm missing?

I sincerely think they'd be the perfect "pro-consumer" gaming company if they just removed the Gold requirement for F2P games.

I think it's remarkable how much they've changed from the days of May 2013 (with the original Xbox One reveal) to today.

MOD EDIT:

The thread title has been updated to discourage users who are simply reading it and making a drive by post.

Hopefully the thread can have a productive discussion about some of the changes Microsoft has made over the course of the generation to the benefit of consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Providing new original gaming content, both quantity and quality, is the biggest pro-consumer aspect of a gaming console I would argue.

'F2P' online multiplayer is still behind a paywall.

Not exploring new avenues like Virtual Reality.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think the accessibility controller project is the coolest thing any of the three have done this gen.

MS making Halo Infinite for PC, and truly making the brand beyond the platform is very cool.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
If they sort out the whole F2P Xbox live thing... then yeah pretty much "King."

That adaptive controller is really cool, I kind of want one to just mess with.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the Scarlet reveal is probably going to be a stark contrast to 2013, a definite 180.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
I don't think we can call them that when they began this generation by forcing us to buy their bullshit Kinect camera. They have improved drastically though.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Spectacular recovery from the disastrous Kinect always online model. Keep it up MS

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Stating a company it's pro-consumer will always be hilarious to me.

They're not doing it because they believe it's better to their user base, they're doing it because their initial fuck up has forced them to do so.
If they were making the money they expected to since the beginning, nothing of this would have happened.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Microsoft tried to kill off used games. They tried to institute a 24 hour check-in for singleplayer games. So nah. It's only because the consumer backlash over these practices put the entire Xbox brand in jeopardy that they've made some pro-consumer moves. I give the current MS Xbox branch executives a little credit for getting down from the ledge but only a little.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Pfft, they tried to force people to pay for Kinect with original XB1 if they wanted it or not.
He didn't state that everything that they did was provide consumer...but let's be honest, as soon as Phil took over, they've made proconsumer moves.

OT: Yes. They are the most proconsumer this generation. I would ask people who want to bring up the 2013 stuff to ask yourself at this point in time...who is the most proconsumer? Who the fuck cares why they are?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
unlimited cloud storage for games saves for all users
4 games a month with Gold.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
There is no such thing as a "pro-consumer" corporation.

Those bullet points are part of a broader strategy to win back customers lost at the start of the generation and also to compete with Sony which remain way ahead of them.
It's all strategies to increase revenue.

Of course they are technically "pro-consumer," but the ultimate goal is to increase market share at all costs.
It was the same with Sony when the Xbox 360 was way ahead during the previous gen.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they just had a good current gen library they'd be on top right now. I wish Sony and Nintendo would take some hints from Microsoft right now.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Out of the big 3, the answer is indubitably yes, and I don't even own an Xbox anymore.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Thread derailment. History of console warring.
Just like Donald Trump is the Pro-Mexican Children king lmfao.

They wanted to do the dirtiest of things to their consumers. The people were smart and said nope not buying your nonsense. So they had backtrack to get people back. Sure they are doing the best pro consumer things but to think it's because they want to is silly lmao.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say yes... but remember how they started.

Sony at the start of this gen was considered "the pro consumer king"

This e3 they basically changed roles again, with MS taking Sony's presentation style and being open with consumers.

While Sony jerked themselves off in that stupid tent, and don't do crossplay when Nintendo of all people is ok with it (seriously, its not a big deal to me because I don't play any of these crossplay games, but if more add the functionality its going to look bad for Sony)

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by post.
Lads,

This is getting embarrassing

MC1Z6sE.gif

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
They rebounded nicely from their initial plans but those plans still leave a bad taste. Once they remove the madatory Gold Sub for F2P games it would be a definite yes.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL of course not. You know how this gen started, right? Remember that parity clause thingy that is still going? F2P games behind a paywall?
Remember that PS4 console that has the most games overall, fantastic indie support since day one and incredible 1st party exclusives? Pretty nice for a game console. Very "pro consumer" if you ask me.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
Let's all remember the stunts they pulled at the beginning of this generation that put them in the situation they're in now.

But If they keep up their goodwill campaign, they might be able to swing back some people next generation to make it an even race.

Dec 2, 2017
He didn't state that everything that they did was provide consumer...but let's be honest, as soon as Phil took over, they've made proconsumer moves.

OT: Yes. They are the most proconsumer this generation. I would ask people who want to bring up the 2013 stuff to ask yourself at this point in time...who is the most proconsumer? Who the fuck cares why they are?
I'm pretty sure 2013 is when XB1 launched and is thus part of this generation so yeah, its relevant.