• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Microsoft has done flawlessly in recent memory; and done nothing but champion gamers and the gaming community. Microsoft deserve to by lauded and celebrated. Their product line and it's features are sublime. I only wish I had enough disposable income at the moment to get a xb1x!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Appropriate, and accurate title change. Microsoft has made some pro-consumer moves this generation but the previous title was a little much.

Oct 30, 2017
So let me see if I understand this correctly, failed decisions that are no longer supported are considered anti-consumer? You need a lesson in business otherwise you would put a hole in every company's pockets.
They backtracked on those things because they were unpopular, not profitable and unfeasible. A arguable small minority might have been unhappy, yes, but those decisions were in no way anti-consumer for them.
Also, it screams bliss ignorance to buy something based on a bloody promise. It proves how uninformed the average consumer still is.

Okay it's a failed business decision

But why not reimbursed them people.

For example people who were forced to buy a Xbox One with Kinect then they decided to sell it separately without Kinect. Why not give these people the option to return their Kinect and get their money back they paid extra for Kinect.

Or give people are refund who bought Xbox for Kinect let them return the entire system and Kinect as they didn't go all in with their promise of Kinect being the main focus.

Business changes but atleast don't let your customers oat the price of the wrong decision.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
That camera is a accesory

No one was forced to buy it

The way Microsoft advertised Xbox One stating Kinect is a key focus for then in games and user interface. The fact that they will have it bundled with every Xbox means it will have alot of support. Even Harmonix was pissed when Microsoft backtracked as developers know it's not readable to make games on accessories in comparison to something that the system comes with all the time. So someone who is into Kinect and was excited for it's future got shafted. Also people who bought a Xbox One but hated Kinect also got shafted s they were forced to buy one and paid extra money for no reason.

Microsoft should have reimbursed these people.

But again this is one example

The promise of power of the cloud

Promise of Fable, Phantom Dust (remember they made CG trailer without permission of Devs lol), promise of Scalebound

Promise of Xbox One X supporting VR
They tried and the market answered. Kinect was supported with multiple games in the XB1 launch window and the games failed and XB1 hardware wasn't moving.

Compare that to Move which wasn't given any support outside a streaming app and a game that has since moved to being controller based and endlessly delayed as well. Both companies broke a promise, but Sony didn't even try.

Also Fable is in development, Phantom Dust still isn't officially cancelled (and got a free remaster) and Scalebound was given ample time before being cancelled.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, title change is irrelevant, they are the current most pro-consumer console maker right now, regardless of past shit shows under prior leadership.

It's a good thing.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, title change is irrelevant, they are the current most pro-consumer console maker right now, regardless of past shit shows under prior leadership.

It's a good thing.
Be careful man you're playing with fire, cakely might take your post a bit too personal for some strange reason like the previous title.

Oct 25, 2017
When this gen started, Xbox was a clusterfuck so I went in hard on PS4 and I've got a whole bunch of games for it. I got the xbox S basically for 4K bluray with the bonus of some exclusives, and I have very few games for it.

Microsoft ended up course correcting hard though and little by little over the years I've gotten more and more annoyed with stick in the mud Sony. The Fortnite thing is really small potatoes overall and I'm not all that bothered, but it's sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Xbox just keeps making choices that make me happier than I'm seeing from Sony, and with better support and infrastructure.

I managed to get a new X for ~$350 recently and I plan to start buying all my multiplats on X. I switched my preorders over. The only things that really hurt in the transition are a couple multiplayer games that may cause me to continue paying for PS+, when I'd rather only pay for one online service at a time.

Still prefer the PS4 as a console. I like the interface waaay better, the OS runs a lot smoother and the game capture experience is easier and better. Xbox is cluttered and a little janky but I'll deal with it because I just like how they're running things these days. I don't agree with all of their choices and not everything is sunshine and rainbows with Xbox but I appreciate a lot of what they've been doing. Win10 crossbuy and backwards compatibility are game changers.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

It's a good thing.

They are the only company charging a online fee for F2P games

You can play Fortnite for free right now on iOS, Android, Laptop, PC, Switch and PS4.

But in Xbox you need Gold subscription

That is one of the most anti consumer policies right now.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
They are the only company charging a online fee for F2P games

You can play Fortnite for free right now on iOS, Android, Laptop, PC, Switch and PS4.

But in Xbox you need Gold subscription

That is one of the most anti consumer policies right now.
Dunno, I'd say holding your account and purchases (even if made on another platform) hostage is more anti consumer than a paywall for on online game, but that's just me

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017

For example people who were forced to buy a Xbox One with Kinect then they decided to sell it separately without Kinect. Why not give these people the option to return their Kinect and get their money back they paid extra for Kinect.

Or give people are refund who bought Xbox for Kinect let them return the entire system and Kinect as they didn't go all in with their promise of Kinect being the main focus.

Business changes but atleast don't let your customers oat the price of the wrong decision.
I can't think of a company out there that would ever do that.

Consumers understood what they were buying. That is the risk of being an early adopter.

I was an early adopter, and I knew what I was getting into. I still use my Kinect to this day. I don't mind that I got it with my purchase.

Oct 30, 2017
Dunno, I'd say holding your account and purchases (even if made on another platform) hostage is more anti consumer, but that's just me

Atleast Sony didn't backtrack. They didn't promise cross play with Xbox before you bought a PS4.

Microsoft promised VR before you bought a Xbox One X

Kinect being fully part of Xbox ecosystem when you bought a Xbox One

Promised Scalebound, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust before you bought a Xbox One.

Promised Power of the Cloud

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The the turnaround has been impressive. I've never seen a console manufacturer correct course this quickly, and a lot of it has to do with the executive reorg over at Microsoft in the last several years (and then Myerson leaving). It's like the stars are in alignment over at Xbox right now, making it a good time to be an Xbox user, and the platform will look even more enticing over the next few years. I don't see that changing at all.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017

What is this nonsense, seriously? You expect companies to reimburse people for bad decisions? This is not DisneyLand.
People were not forced to buy the Xbox One with Kinect because they were not forced to buy the Xbox in the first place. Which they didn't, hence the backtracking in their decision.

As far as I am aware, Kinect was not their main focus but that depends on the interpretation you had from their marketing efforts. Either way, you cannot return something purely because a promise was not full-filled. You bought the Xbox One with Kinect at launch and got what was advertised. Period.

You have no how much a wrong decision can cost a company. MS lost much more than just money.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Atleast Sony didn't backtrack. They didn't promise cross play with Xbox before you bought a PS4.

The Last Guardian was promised to PS3 owners

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Don't know if it's been mentioned but I like the way that refunds work currently and how easy it is to cancel reoccurring subscriptions/preorders on xb1 (via MS account)

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017

Sony backtracked on the Vita which probably "beats" any of those "anti-consumer" things you listed.
The reality is, you want system wars while blatantly throwing the word anti-consumer to cover your arguments. Ridiculous.

Oct 30, 2017
The Last Guardian was promised to PS3 owners

Very true and Agent as well but I'll let Agent sldie as it was only showing once and was a logo.

But Sony took the piss with Last Guardian on PS3. Luckily they had a stellar exclusive line up anyways but that still doesn't change the fact they advertised and teased a game coming for PS3 and it didn't come.

Microsoft pissed many oepeop up this gen stating they are investing in first party when it didn't happen. Now they are saying they have for next gen lol from this E3. They advertised Phantom Dust and released a CG trailer without telling the Devs to bolster their lineup. Fable Legends and Scalebound got cancelled. And Crackdown with the cool power of the cloud that they kept going on about has still not released and we still haven't seen any use of this power of the cloud.

All I'm saying is many people who bought a Xbox with all these thes games to look forward to probably felt like they got shafted. If people knew there games were not coming they pro8 wouldn't have bought a Xbox or if they already had one may have sold it off earlier.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

You're trying way too hard here, man.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh! The Vita. I forgot about that. (As did Sony)

Yeah Im pissed about the Vits

Remember Yoshida saying they didn't want to make mistake of not supporting Vita and having content always coming. They didn't even have a real Gran Tursimo on it. Support was terrible don't get me started on the Bioshock game

Anyways why are people getting off topic thought this was about Xbox?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
If you can't see how differently MS is treating Xbox Games Pass than Sony has treated PS+ or PS Now I don't know what to tell you. These initiatives from Sony were made as supplements to their existing offerings. A way to potentially expand their platform to new audiences and never their core focus. Games Pass is where Xbox is investing their money it's where the company is focusing on above all else to the point of putting all their games on it day one and investing in new studios for the purpose of making this offering more appealing. The end goal is for it to be the main delivery apparatus for Xbox not a supplement to the traditional modes of play and ownership.

PlayStation invests in and priotizes their studios and the results show. Microsoft invests in and prioritizes services and the results show. Sony is not touting PS+ (games specifically) and PS Now at every conceivable opportunity nor is it treated as a central focus for their company to the consumer despite it being a big profit driver for them. The whole mindset around the these services from both companies couldn't be more different.

Microsoft have stressed - and proven - time and time again that they believe in giving people options. Giving people options is pro-consumer, and covering all the bases also benefits Microsoft. They are not siphoning anyone down a single path, they are working on new consoles, and their actual software sales have increased after the introduction of Game Pass. So it seems that they can basically both have the cake, and eat it, yet you want us to believe that they will just abandon all the possible additional revenue streams in pursuit of some singular authoritarian vision? And open themselves up to another disaster? Because when you treat people poorly, a competitor who treats them less poorly will quickly rise in popularity, that's just how that works.

The differences between what Sony and Microsoft are doing are just in your perspective, you choose how you want to see those things, and what meaning you want to assign to them. That's not necessarily how it really is, and how either party is going to be behaving in reality. As I was saying earlier, it seems to me that you are being very selective about how you approach facts, and you are spinning them in a way that suits the narrative you're already convinced is the real truth. What we are plainly seeing is that Microsoft is doing a number of very pro-consumer things, and Sony is, frankly, once again behaving like a big bully who puts their own interests before everything else, BUT... That's because Microsoft in fact has a devious plan, and they're just trying to deceive everyone? I don't know what to tell you, that sounds a lot like a delusion to me, you know? I'm not going to tell you what to believe, but what I am going to say is that you can't treat that as a fact, and expect others to share in what is basically a paranoid fantasy.

paulc

Alt account.
Dec 14, 2017
They have certainly turned things around. If they had any exclusives that I liked I would have kept it over my PS4, but ended up trading in towards a Switch.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I think their sheer arrogance and just how out of touch they'd become during PS3's launch is self-explanatory. Charging five hundred and ninety nine US dollars for a SKU and then telling people to get multiple jobs to afford it. Multiple CG trailers represented as actual in engine footage, promise of PS1 BC even though only the first PS3 firmware really supported it etc.

lol this is amusing, especially coming from a gaming focused message board. PS3 cost like $800 to make and Sony had free online for the entire generation.

I bet if one of the console manufacturers announced that for next gen they were stuffing $800 worth of hardware into a $600 box and it also had free online for the entire gen people here would be all over it.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
DangerMouse agrees with KALOSMANI and the nonsense.
Agreeing with one post doesn't mean automatically agreeing with all posts by someone in a thread. The initial list and overall critique had some good points that there was no reason to discount all of, like some were doing.

For example since it doesn't fit the current BC narrative many love to leave out that this is only the first generation that Playstation hasn't offered BC and they talk about it like they've never done BC before. They've had complete BC on multiple systems prior to PS4 and more completely in the past than Microsoft has been able to offer so far. You could use pretty much every single PS1 or PS2 disc on PS2 and PS3 (first versions) and digital purchases that were compatible (or could be re-licensed) carried over even on their portables. They were also among the first to offer cross-purchases where if you bought any of the PS3/Vita/PS4 version you got all of them. Xbox is not the only one that's ever offered BC that didn't require re-purchase before.... And just because it's not on PS4 doesn't mean it won't be there for PS5 since PS5 will presumably stay on x86 like the PS4.

Oh come on. Sony's attitude towards cross-play with other consoles sucks, but this is no where near the anti-consumer crap that Microsoft tried to pull off with their initial Xbox One plans.
This.

Completely agree Hex.

Microsoft should be commended for the many good decisions they've made, but we also can't forget the impetus behind how Microsoft got to this point. They wanted to implement some very anti-consumer features, and rightly got burned by it. And being behind Sony, especially so much world wide, has really lit a fire under them. Although I don't own an Xbox One, I'm definitely grateful they are trying to win back gamers the way they have, and I hope it puts pressure on Sony - because Sony is seeing some negativity build up.
This.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreeing with one post doesn't mean automatically agreeing with all posts by someone in a thread. The initial list and overall critique had some good points that there was no reason to discount all of just because not all of them were perfect points, like some were doing.
I see. My bad.

For example since it doesn't fit the current BC narrative many love to leave out that this is only the first generation that Playstation hasn't offered BC and they talk about it like they've never done BC before. They've had complete BC on multiple systems prior to PS4 and more completely in the past than MS has been able to offer so far. You could use pretty much every single PS1 or PS2 disc on PS2 and PS3 (first versions) and digital purchases that were compatible (or could be re-licensed) carried over on the PSP and Vita. They were also among the first to offer cross-purchases where if you bought any of the PS3/Vita/PS4 version you got all of them. Xbox is not the only one that's ever offered BC that didn't require re-purchase before.... And just because it's not on PS4 doesn't mean it won't be there for PS5 since PS5 will presumably stay on x86 like the PS4.

PS3 Backwards Compatibility isn't mentioned much, because it required specific launch models that cost $500 and up. That's because Sony's BC solution (of course being the only one truly available to them at the time) was to stick a PS2 inside the PS3. When it came time to cut the price of the PS3, backwards compatibility was the first thing to go. The overwhelming majority of PS3 owners never had the chance to experience PS3 backwards compatibility, outside of having the opportunity to repurchase a handful of those games digitally.

I think that that push for BC at PS3's launch might indicate that Sony would have opted for PS3 BC if not for the technological barriers involved, but it could have also been how they intended to retain players who had invested heavily into the PS2, the world's most successful console. At any rate, I do see Sony opting for PS4 BC with PS5 - or, more accurately, I can't imagine Sony opting against PS4 BC with PS5, because in this digital age, it is not unreasonable for consumers to expect their media to carry forward.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree they are making pretty cool decisions. Even though I won't be getting an Xbox anytime soon, maybe next gen, I have subscribed to gamepass for my computer. Looking forward to their games too which has honestly been awhile.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I gotta hand it to Microsoft, they have been doing a number of great moves as of recently.

If Street Fighter VI (whenever it happens) ends up on the next Xbox, I may consider jumping ship from Sony.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it's true. I would say its a larger platform move towards agnosticism and not just on the Xbox brand. As they see great benefit in it, but they are certainly putting others to shame. I'm ecstatic that they are moving in this direction though, as at the end of the day. I just want to be able to play to play my purchased games, with my friends, on whatever system I own. I know there's limitations, but the goal is to remove barriers to play, not add new ones.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017

That has absolutely nothing to do with my post. But cool.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure 3rd parties are going to start abandoning the PS4 in droves and only make token titles for it /s Competition is good but lets not exaggerate.

You are out of your mind if you really believe that.

How so? Are third parties refusing to release their games on PS4 all of a sudden?

Switch does cross-play too y'knaa

Xbox are making good strides nonetheless

... Nintendo is selling faster than Xbox, so would it be bad?

Whoa. Was my post incendiary or something? I own all three consoles and was commenting on my experience. Some of my favorite games this gen are PS or Switch exclusives. My point was given the moves MS has made I decided to make all my multiplat purchases there. It affords me the best performance, crossplay where available, a solid network infrastructure, and I'm more confident in my purchases working down the line through BC next gen.

Point being: their pro-consumer attitude has earned them a new client in me, and they're getting all of my spending outside of exclusives for the moment.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You're just going to ignore the Vita, an entire system?

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good moves that will really pay off at the start of next gen. Hopefully Sony learns from this. I really want my refund and BC!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft have stressed - and proven - time and time again that they believe in giving people options. Giving people options is pro-consumer, and covering all the bases also benefits Microsoft. They are not siphoning anyone down a single path, they are working on new consoles, and their actual software sales have increased after the introduction of Game Pass. So it seems that they can basically both have the cake, and eat it, yet you want us to believe that they will just abandon all the possible additional revenue streams in pursuit of some singular authoritarian vision? And open themselves up to another disaster? Because when you treat people poorly, a competitor who treats them less poorly will quickly rise in popularity, that's just how that works.

The differences between what Sony and Microsoft are doing are just in your perspective, you choose how you want to see those things, and what meaning you want to assign to them. That's not necessarily how it really is, and how either party is going to be behaving in reality. As I was saying earlier, it seems to me that you are being very selective about how you approach facts, and you are spinning them in a way that suits the narrative you're already convinced is the real truth. What we are plainly seeing is that Microsoft is doing a number of very pro-consumer things, and Sony is, frankly, once again behaving like a big bully who puts their own interests before everything else, BUT... That's because Microsoft in fact has a devious plan, and they're just trying to deceive everyone? I don't know what to tell you, that sounds a lot like a delusion to me, you know? I'm not going to tell you what to believe, but what I am going to say is that you can't treat that as a fact, and expect others to share in what is basically a paranoid fantasy.

It's only a "paranoid fantasy" if you completely disregard the fact they they've already shown their hand and revealed their goals for the industry and their place in it. Some of y'all are convinced the intent has changed. All I'm doing is pointing at what they are doing and saying "hey this patchy hey are charging full steam ahead down leads to the same scenario that folks took s o much umbrage witha few years back." If you think that's paranoid then we have very different definitions of the word.