• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Update: Confirmed the Xbox Mod Squad team was the ones who fixed this, big thanks to them!

So for context here:
Awhile ago it was assumed Shadowrun servers were dead for good, turns out it was just a few community members wanting to make people think everything was dead when it was just dedicated servers that got hit, peer-to-peer backend actually still worked. Though that wasn't really discovered till about a year back (I made a thread thinking it was back from the dead) and the Shadowrun community discord kinda exploded in membership gain (from like 400 to over 2k in less than a few months) which lead to a small but dedicated revival of the game.

Then a few days ago Microsoft updated some 360 matchmaking services which fixed Call of Duty games on the platform, but actually ended up nuking the Shadowrun Matchmaking service. Well a few people (myself included) reached out and Microsoft actually ended up fixing it, not only having it work again, but it actually kinda works better than it has ever worked in the history of the game being up. The game used to fake search for servers which would take awhile before putting you into a match, well whatever they did eliminated that process fully and now Search > Match takes like 3 seconds where it used to be about 30+.

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Adam Isgreen, Jason Ronald and what I assume to be the BC team at Xbox for connecting the dots and fixing something they really didn't have to and made it better than it was before.

Edit: for those wondering about PC, yes it still works and is very easy to install, we have a bunch of extra keys on the discord if you want to play it.

discord.gg

Join the This is Shadowrun Discord Server!

The unofficial Community Discord for the Shadowrun FPS! Find us at ShadowrunFPS.com. | 4103 members

EDIT: a 10 use key for GFWL, should work on this, up for grab for anyone that wants it (10 separate people should be able to use this if wanted)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
For Xbox users: The game is BC and sold digitally

Buy Shadowrun | Xbox

First-Person Tactical Team-Based Multiplayer Shooter

Last edited:

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
It's actually very dope they did this. You don't see this happen like ever. Without a fan made server games like this are lost.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that I boot up games from the 360 era and am still able to co-op/matchmake. Wish OG XBL would make a come back but that seems impossible. Microsoft has been incredible with backwards compatibility.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Very cool. It seems like the BC / Platform team has been cooking a bit to handle a new wave of 360 games and mp usage 👀 shoutout to Jason and the team

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually an active scene for this? If so I might grab a copy cause it was really fun back in the day and I do believe its backwards compatible with the series X

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly use to love this game. So underrated - the reviews just weren't fair. Ugh, Microsoft kinda sent it (and FASA) out to die.

Kinda wish they would put this on Game Pass.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually an active scene for this? If so I might grab a copy cause it was really fun back in the day and I do believe its backwards compatible with the series X
Yup full games daily now and a community run ranked comp scene too, for the latter joining the discord is the way

discord.gg

The unofficial Community Discord for the Shadowrun FPS! Find us at ShadowrunFPS.com. | 4103 members

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly use to love this game. So underrated - the reviews just weren't fair. Ugh, Microsoft kinda sent it (and FASA) out to die.

Kinda wish they would put this on Game Pass.

I feel like if this were a new release today in a F2P market ( or hell like you said even just on Gamepass) it could really thrive. It was just really ahead of its time. People especially in the console space were just used to Halo style shooting games and didn't know what to make of it at the time. The gameplay loop was just so solid with the different classes and the powers.

Edit: Also, like this was 2007 and they were doing fucking crossplay with PC!

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if this were a new release today in a F2P market ( or hell like you said even just on Gamepass) it could really thrive. It was just really ahead of its time. People especially in the console space were just used to Halo style shooting games and didn't know what to make of it at the time. The gameplay loop was just so solid with the different classes and the powers.

Edit: Also, like this was 2007 and they were doing fucking crossplay with PC!
Yup, game would do very well in today's gaming environment for sure. I honestly like while there are "classes" the build you get is up to you because of you needing to actually buy magic and tech and each of those things let you really make your build "yours"

Jun 5, 2018
Loved playing this back in the day, pop a tree for healing, dash through an enemy with a sword, and have all the time you need to manoeuvre, dunno if I still have my copy in working order, and definitely don't have the 360 up and running, but it is tempting.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This game was out fucking standing.

Does the PC version work if I buy it?

Msft, plz, take my money.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's wild that I boot up games from the 360 era and am still able to co-op/matchmake. Wish OG XBL would make a come back but that seems impossible. Microsoft has been incredible with backwards compatibility.

The degree of forward-thinking Microsoft did with Xbox Live in 2005 is insane. Many of the options they pursued turned out to be the right choices, and it continues to pay off today. It took their closest competitors not years, but at least an entire generation, just to catch up.

idiotheart

Apr 23, 2018
I adored this game. I think if it released today with all of the bells and whistles we've come to expect then it would make a killing.

The discord's guide was VERY easy. Like shockingly so. I've got the game running great. Can't wait to get into some games.

This game was out fucking standing.

Does the PC version work if I buy it?

Msft, plz, take my money.

Yes I believe so, but check out the fan discord. They have some guides and will answer questions. You may be able to yourself going in the game without spending.

discord.gg

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get a copy of this running on PC for sure. I loved this game. Was well ahead of its time, just like Viva Pinata.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
I had a lot of fun with Shadowun back in the day, just seeing it mentioned again brings back some nostalgia from back then.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Great to see they are going back and getting games online again. I'd love to see MS figure out a way to bring back all those games that were driven by Gamespy as well and enable BC on more titles (all the old Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter games come to mind)

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I adored this game. I think if it released today with all of the bells and whistles we've come to expect then it would make a killing.

The discord's guide was VERY easy. Like shockingly so. I've got the game running great. Can't wait to get into some games.

Yes I believe so, but check out the fan discord. They have some guides and will answer questions. You may be able to yourself going in the game without spending.

discord.gg

whoooooooa i did not know this was a thing

ty!!

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
This game had a surprising amount of influence on Destiny. Need to hop in one of these days and check it out!

Sage Merrill was multiplayer design lead on both (and halo reach).

Unfortunately Shadowrun is the only one I genuinely liked (loved even) and that's why I'm really interested in his new game/studio, whatever it actually is.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
hOdG7cY.png

never thought id see this ui again

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This game was ahead of its time. Curious how cheap you can find it for digitally.
Did this ever get added to the store? I'd love to play it again.

discord.com

join the discord, they have install instructions and have cdkeys available to use

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP since people were asking about the PC version, it's essentially free since we have a lot of extra keys

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun 07 is an absolutely fantastic game. As some have said here, it was ahead of it's time.

But it's connection to it's actual IP is.. tenuous at best. I'm happy it failed sales-wise, as it meant we got much more story (and lore) focused games with HBS' Shadowrun TRPG trilogy, but I'm also quite happy that people can still play it today. best of both worlds.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun 07 is an absolutely fantastic game. As some have said here, it was ahead of it's time.

But it's connection to it's actual IP is.. tenuous at best. I'm happy it failed sales-wise, as it meant we got much more story (and lore) focused games with HBS' Shadowrun TRPG trilogy, but I'm also quite happy that people can still play it today. best of both worlds.
Most agree it was a misuse of the IP, even Phil, but I wonder if it would have sold worse or better without the IP attached

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I take it you have to buy a physical copy of Shadowrun PC for an individual purchase for that version?
Nope, we have some extra keys floating around and for $3 you can use Flatout Ultimatum Carnage keys (10 uses max)

We have it where you don't need to install the game either, just have GFWL installed and a valid key and you're good to go