• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you feel old?

• Yes

Votes: 785 72.3%
  • Sega used to make video game consoles?

Votes: 142 13.1%
  • *Does a Fortnite dance*

Votes: 159 14.6%

• Total voters

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sega:
SG-1000 released in 1983
Dreamcast, discontinued in 2001

18 years

Microsoft:
Xbox, released in 2001
Xbox Series X, releasing in 2020

19 years

Nintendo still lead with 37 43 years, followed by Sony with 26

Crazy how it seems like only yesterday Microsoft were just about to enter the market. I'm sure there are people on this forum who don't even remember a time when MS were not in the game, or who don't even remember the glory days of Sega

200.gif

Last edited:

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I still say the dreamcast was the best console I ever owned, it was way ahead of its time and if it had come out instead of the Saturn SEGA would still be with us today.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... SEGA still exists and if you mean hardware, well...
Heavyweight Champ was an arcade machine in 1976 by SEGA

And Nintendo is at 43 years an counting.
Don't forget their Color TV Series

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm old enough that the thread and the poll's first option are relevant to me... Except I don't really feel old.

Also SEGA still freaking rules. Go Yakuza!

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean... SEGA still exists and if you mean hardware, well...
Heavyweight Champ was an arcade machine in 1976 by SEGA

And Nintendo is at 43 years an counting.
Don't forget their Color TV Series

I was just counting consoles, but yeah they did stuff outside of consoles too

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another thought in regards to Microsoft: Rare has been a first party developer for them longer than they have been a "second party" partner for Nintendo.

Their Nintendo era lasted from 1994 to 2002. That was about eight years. Meanwhile they've been under MS for about 18 years...which means they've been with Microsoft for nearly two decades now, damn. By my calculations, that's a little over half of Rare's 35 year history at this point.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If anyone has voted "Sega used to make video game consoles?" and is being sincere then I really will feel old

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Here's another thought that's been fuckin me up.

With video games being such a comparatively new medium, many of us were present for the release of a game that eventually became a long standing franchise in the present. But one day, many of us won't be present for the next Mario or Zelda sequel.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Two brands that have given me so many incredible moments of joy. I'm a bit biased towards Sega since the Mega Drive was the first console I ever had but Microsoft has accomplished a lot during their years in gaming. Lots of innovations in tech and features plus they have been part of creating some of my favorite franchises.

And yes, I feel old.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Here's another thought in regards to Microsoft: Rare has been a first party developer for them longer than they have been a "second party" partner for Nintendo.

Their Nintendo era lasted from 1994 to 2002. That was about eight years. Meanwhile they've been under MS for about 18 years...which means they've been with Microsoft for nearly two decades now, damn. By my calculations, that's a little over half of Rare's 35th year history at this point.

This is also pretty crazy, as the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Rare" is still their Nintendo output

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I don't feel Microsoft as relevant as Sega in his glory days. Sega puts a 28.8k modem in a freaking Saturn, Dreamcast was built around Internet, Sonic still is here (in some capacity), Sega has giantic ip catalog and so on.

I like Xbox ecosystem but since 2002 all console generation feel derivative to me (VR aside)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive, but it really has been a long time since the Xbox debuted. That and people forget how quickly the DC fizzled out - 2 years basically. That said, there will never be another console manufacturer that can replicate the trifecta of:

- Genesis - a beloved, popular console that really nailed its place in the market and in gaming history
- Saturn - a strange lumbering beast of hardware that managed to produce the most remarkable group of weird and wonderful games.
- Dreamcast - in some ways, the first foray into modern gaming, with high end visuals and online. Died way, way too soon.

For all their missteps and failures, this medium would literally not be the same without them.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah but I don't feel Microsoft as relevant as Sega in his glory days. Sega puts a 28.8k modem in a freaking Saturn, Dreamcast was built around Internet, Sonic still is here (in some capacity), Sega has giantic ip catalog and so on.

I like Xbox ecosystem but since 2002 all console generation feel derivative to me (VR aside)

For most of the 360s life it was leading the PS3, and Sega were only really up there with Nintendo for a really short period time I think

Also I think quite a lot more Xbox consoles have been sold than Sega systems

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

if you take away xbox since 2002...you get a lackluster PlayStation ecosystem and brand. I know we like to diss MS on here, but let's not pretend Microsoft didn't bring an arsenal of innovation to this space. At that point, you're just being disingenuous because of console wars.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How people reacted when Sega ''died'' as a console maker at the time?

I'd love to see some forums from the time actually, I bet that would be really interesting to read

It was pretty surprising to me at the time, but I was only about 13 then it was discontinued

Correction, it's 43 for Nintendo, not 37

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been in the home console market since 1977 with the Color TV-Game series, it even estimated to have sold over 3 million units, so yeah 43 years for Nintendo, though the NES is obviously something they might mark their own success with in the home console market.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How people reacted when Sega ''died'' as a console maker at the time?

I don't really remember any massive meltdowns or anything to be honest. It was more of a fizzle out. The Dreamcast died super fast (it came out in Europe in October 99 and was discontinued March 2001 - it basically had one decent year before being discontinued) and then they just started porting games to PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. They didn't really announce 'WE'RE OUT OF THE HARDWARE BUSINESS' if I remember right. People maybe kept thinking they might announce a new console and then... they just didn't?

Saturn and Dreamcast both being rough rides in terms of commercial success (despite how much I personally love them) really softened the news of Sega not making another console. In that it wasn't truly surprising to anybody. Imagine if Nintendo had followed up the Wii U with another damp meh in terms of sales and it was discontinued after a year. You might not be surprised if they didn't survive it and just eventually stopped announcing new hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the weeks/months after the Dreamcast's launch in stores more than I do the actual machine, as I didn't buy one.

It really hit home (no pun intended) we were seeing the arcade experience finally transition to the console platform.

I will always admire Sega from that period, my aunt and I would play my cousins Sega machines after my cousins and kid brother would go to bed, all the while I had 'Nintendo at home'.

In contrast, and with the greatest respect, I think even the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail would ask long time Sonic fans to maybe finally give in and accept reality, there's no coming back from some things :p

I should play Streets of Rage 4....

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Saturn and Dreamcast (despite how much I personally love them) softened the news of Sega not making another console. They were both rough rides.

i feel like the dreamcast had quite a bit more visibility in the US. i was in high school and there was definitely hype around its launch-- my dad got my US dreamcast for me at a midnight launch event because I was stuck in the house with Mono lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sega and Xbox are intrinsically tied, if that helps. One of the most popular controller designs ever is Xbox, which was worked on with Sega via Controller S. Replaced the Duke and made history.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't really remember any massive meltdowns or anything to be honest. It was more of a fizzle out. The Dreamcast died super fast (it came out in Europe in October 99 and was discontinued March 2001 - it basically had one decent year before being discontinued) and then they just started porting games to PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. They didn't really announce 'WE'RE OUT OF THE HARDWARE BUSINESS' if I remember right. People maybe kept thinking they might announce a new console and then... they just didn't?

Saturn and Dreamcast both being rough rides in terms of commercial success (despite how much I personally love them) really softened the news of Sega not making another console. In that it wasn't truly surprising to anybody. Imagine if Nintendo had followed up the Wii U with another damp meh in terms of sales and it was discontinued after a year. You might not be surprised if they didn't survive it and just eventually stopped announcing new hardware.
That makes sense but it's just sad :(

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
In-fucking-credible.

Thankfully, their software legacy is impeccable and will stand the test of time.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What makes me even more sad is I thought now that they didn't have to worry about hardware their focus can be on their robust IP catalog...it's gotta be coming soon I think they are just waiting for the perfect time...right.....right???

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I was about to come in here to call you crazy and then you did the math for me. I am old in years but not in looks.

Dreamcast was the only console I bought the same day after seeing a video in person of soul caliber.

I bought the Xbox because of Halo and the big ass controller.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine if Nintendo had followed up the Wii U with another damp meh in terms of sales

It's actually really fun to go through the thread that was made when the Switch was announced and see everyone predicting it would barely do Wii U numbers and end up Nintendo's last system

You used to hear "Nintendo going 3rd party" a lot, but it's not a phrase that's been uttered for several years now

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like the dreamcast had quite a bit more visibility in the US. i was in high school and there was definitely hype around its launch-- my dad got my US dreamcast for me at a midnight launch event because I was stuck in the house with Mono lol

There was definitely hype in the UK, don't get me wrong. I was MEGA hyped. I'd been reading import reviews and impressions for what seemed like an eternity. But it didn't last so long. The impending PS2 release just overtook it so fast.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Denial, for many of us. There were rumours at the time that Dreamcast was becoming a SoC that would be included in TV STBs and DVD players. Dreamcast would live on that way! We hoped. lol.
Oof, I can imagine that happening.

I'd love to see some forums from the time actually, I bet that would be really interesting to read

It was pretty surprising to me at the time, but I was only about 13 then it was discontinued
I just did, and yes, it's amazing.

RaijinZ a random Sega fan in 2002 talking about Sega's decision a year later said:
The system has a large part in how good a game is. Would Mario 64 look as good on PSX? Would Sonic music have the same sound if it were on SNES?

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you could go back to the 90s and drop this pic in front of people

220px-Mario_and_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_box_art.png

People would lose their minds

Still feels a little weird seeing Sonic on Nintendo consoles after all those years fighting in the Great Fanboy Wars of the 90s

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh they definitely did. I remember the day. It was a big deal. Even made it to mainstream news outlets.

They announced Dreamcast would be discontinued, they'd be focusing on software only going forward, and going multi-platform.

Oh, just checked and you're totally right.

Sega officially announced the Dreamcast was discontinued only 18 months after its USA release and confirmed that they would not release any more consoles and would restructure the company to become a third-party developer

I just don't remember it being a big shock/big deal? I guess it wasn't hugely surprising.

Was still real weird seeing Sonic Adventure in a Gamecube case though.