• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What kind of arrogant behavior is that?

Here I am. I care. Now you know at least one. If you would've read the thread you would even know more. And if you would've even gone one step further you would know that a decent portion of the Xbox community is indeed waiting for the Avatars, its unique experiences and games, to come back.

People spend time at their Minecraft, Fortnite or Sea of Thieves character. So why not with an avatar that can be used accross multiple 'party like' games? And which can be used for AR/VR enviroments, Windows, mobile, etc.

That's my bad then. I had thought the idea of "avatars" was a wasted concept that people gave up on ages ago. I hadn't even heard it talked about in a long time.

No idea it was a thing that still mattered to some people.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Doritos-Crash-Course-2-Review-932x523.jpg

kinectbb-890x562.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Motocross-Madness-Screesnhots-2.jpg

1.jpg

71lteBJKjNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

arcadecraft.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

136487-EN_MobElim4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

be2f97d2ae7c06b01b9700df6597e82b.jpg

screenlg16.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Who is this ''we'' you speak of? I like party games like Mario Kart, Jack Party Pack and 1vs100.

Yeah we all do but that shouldn't be the main focus right now

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's my bad then. I had thought the idea of "avatars" was a wasted concept that people gave up on ages ago. I hadn't even heard it talked about in a long time.

No idea it was a thing that still mattered to some people.
Avatar games are a pretty sure bet at E3, and rightfully so, since I'm guessing this E3 will be all about gamepass and It's future. And avatars are going to be playing a huge role there. (Just speculation, but based off Microsoft's push for gamepass)

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
^stupid posting pointless and brainlet tier gif, am i in 2013?

Yeah we all do but that shouldn't be the main focus right now
This is getting weird, who and when they said Avatar is getting MAIN focus? just because they make a new studio do focus on it?
This is Resetera, not N4G or A9VG, think before comment.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is why it's not possible to create a custom avatar in Sea Of Theieves? Perhaps the desire is to leverage of your base avatar? Certainly the synergies are there with Rare being the avatar studio for many years.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This just seems like a gimmick.

Like Kinnect, the eye thing Sony did, or Playstation Move etc etc. Like I remember when avatars first came out and then there was the laughably bad PlayStation Home and then there was the Wii U stuff.

I donr understand how something like this would get more attention than other more pressing requests or issues by the community. It just sounds like something they are doing on the side rather than doing something more important.

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, who cares if games like 1v100 and Doritos Crash Course were excellent?

Some true snobbery going on here that games must only appeal to a single type of player.
Cmon I was pointing out that the clear problem at Ms is their first party games studios ...and I bet that people could live less new avatars .....if we will have both ...well...that's good too

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gifs: for when you're trying to make a point but don't really have one.

It was my reaction, but I can go in depth if you'd like.

I don't care about Avatars, i'm often surprised when I remember they still exist actually.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with Microsoft working on them still if they want to and I'm sure they're putting work into other areas so this is just a topic people will jump on in the same way if Nintendo or Playstation announced something similar.

People do care Avatars, but of course you can't even read any pages, just come here and leave a pointless comment.

I'm giving my reaction, if that bothers you, too bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that they are still betting on little cartoon avatars, a thing that even Nintendo has mostly moved on from.

facebookoculussocialvr.jpeg

SamsungS9_AR-Emoji.jpg

vrchatlol.jpg

People enjoy having virtual avatars. It's the entire reason they spend billions of dollars globally on "stupid" cosmetics in games like Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG, fighting games, etc.. Sure, probably a high percentage of people in here don't have the slightest interest in avatar games, but there's tons of interest in the concept around the world, gaming and otherwise.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight Avatars are stupid, but people spend billions dressing up their video game characters.

It could be cool we just don't know what it is yet.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
MS trying to get in on that VRCHAT fuckery with their fugly avatars.
Lucrative business decision.

Nov 1, 2017
People enjoy having virtual avatars. It's the entire reason they spend billions of dollars globally on "stupid" cosmetics in games like Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG, fighting games, etc.. Sure, probably a high percentage of people in here don't have the slightest interest in avatar games, but there's tons of interest in the concept around the world, gaming and otherwise.
Cosmetics to dress up popular characters in a video game and cosmetics to dress up a generic avatar as part of some kind of Microsoft account avatar system are two different things.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Cosmetics to dress up popular characters in a video game and cosmetics to dress up a generic avatar as part of some kind of Microsoft account avatar system are two different things.

Depends how they build it. If you can really use them in plenty of games and in VR/AR.. it becomes more important. I can see people pay money to change these characters.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You don't get how someone would be more interested in customizing an established character like Tracer or Ryu vs. a generic cartoon character associated with your MS account? Really?

huh? Not every video game character is established. People are doing with SoT and those characters aren't established? New IP's aren't established characters. Flaw in your logic.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Let me get this straight Avatars are stupid, but people spend billions dressing up their video game characters.

It could be cool we just don't know what it is yet.

Games should be their focus not trying to bring back avatars. Would rather those job postings be for a game project not involving some kind of avatar game like similar in the past.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are they? Back on the 360, even ignoring the swarm of non curated indie games, there were dozens of retail games and XBLA titles with minor or major avatar support. There were dozens of games where the avatar you created, the dresses you bought for it, etc. could be used as an in-game character, fully animated and all. Let's say you can import your avatar into Fortnite, Super Bomberman R, Sea Of Thieves and more. I'd imagine people would be far more willing to spend on cosmetics if they could take that exact look and take it with them into several other games. Plus it could be integrated into the dashboard, your friends could see it when they go to your profile, etc.. It's exactly like in-game characters, except what you make spans over multiple games and apps.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with MS working on Avatars, I just think it's terrible timing. We've just come off the back of a couple of weeks in which GOW dominated both in games and narrative. Not only did it put the 'singleplayers are dead' myth to bed but it also opened up a can of worms for MS and their lack of singleplayer games. It was inevitable then that something like this was going to be compared narratively. Simply put: 'Sony have GOW, MS have avatars'. You also have to remember we also had MS releasing 'online engagement' numbers just after GOW's release and great reception.

Titanos

May 2, 2018
Why are people disregarding Avatars? We have had them since 2010, so they must be profitable or key to some plan MS has.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Geez, you all act like Microsoft just announced they've announced that their entire Xbox workforce will only work on Avatars.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for them, I still like the novelty of having my avatar being represented in the game in some way.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't think there's anything wrong with MS working on Avatars, I just think it's terrible timing. We've just come off the back of a couple of weeks in which GOW dominated both in games and narrative. Not only did it put the 'singleplayers are dead' myth to bed but it also opened up a can of worms for MS and their lack of singleplayer games. It was inevitable then that something like this was going to be compared narratively.

Not just single player, but quality games in general from MS. Is something we need to see outside of Forza.

They've had 100+ job postings at Rare these past months. Should we open a topic about these every day?

Until they start showing some things or leaking concept art or something along those lines for new projects, you will unfortunately see a lot of us react this way.
We have given them enough time to try and correct a ship that was built for a different course, it took way too long because the issues stemmed in previous gen.

So even if they are setting themselves up better for the future the now is still as important. Especially since they made a big deal about the xbox one x, and now don't have anything to show it off but a forza game. Hearing things like this just sours people like myself who use to be fans of xbox.
If there was more to this like, "we are revamping the xbox eco-system and that includes new games and avatars are coming back.

It just feels like it falls on def ears talking about avatars, and honestly a lot of the fanbase,consumers, and industry are all kind of down on xbox. So it is what it is until they show up and show us some exciting software of high quality.

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Games should be their focus not trying to bring back avatars. Would rather those job postings be for a game project not involving some kind of avatar game like similar in the past.

You do realize you can do both and MS has plenty of job postings for video game dev? Companies have different teams that do different projects and what not. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

You gotta use your common sense sometimes man.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the issue is that people want Microsoft to literally just ape what Sony is doing. And that's just dumb.

It's a good thing that all three hardware manufacturers are doing they're own thing. I don't want Microsoft and Sony to bee too similar in their offerings.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is a thread with over 22k posts about the future of Microsoft first parties, it's full of insights from insiders, job listings, etc. that confirm tons of upcoming exciting Microsoft projects. Most of that info doesn't get new threads, this one did, hence here we are. This doesn't mean Microsoft isn't doing jackshit and is resorting to avatars because they don't have anything better going on. It simply means this is a project they work on among many others like backwards compatibility, Hololens, the OS, the games, Xbox Live, Game Pass, etc. etc..

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think there's anything wrong with MS working on Avatars, I just think it's terrible timing. We've just come off the back of a couple of weeks in which GOW dominated both in games and narrative. Not only did it put the 'singleplayers are dead' myth to bed but it also opened up a can of worms for MS and their lack of singleplayer games. It was inevitable then that something like this was going to be compared narratively. Simply put: 'Sony have GOW, MS have avatars'. You also have to remember we also had MS releasing 'online engagement' numbers just after GOW's release and great reception.

Timing.. they can't have job postings about avatars(which we know are coming since 2017)? :D

I think the issue is that people want Microsoft to literally just ape what Sony is doing. And that's just dumb.

It's a good thing that all three hardware manufacturers are doing they're own thing. I don't want Microsoft and Sony to bee too similar in their offerings.

This is also a big problem on ERA.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017

I think that's a strawman to be honest. I don't think anyone expects them to 'ape' Sony but rather have meaty content. Nintendo don't have this problem and no one would say they were aping Sony.

Nov 1, 2017
Are they? Back on the 360, even ignoring the swarm of non curated indie games, there were dozens of retail games and XBLA titles with minor or major avatar support. There were dozens of games where the avatar you created, the dresses you bought for it, etc. could be used as an in-game character, fully animated and all. Let's say you can import your avatar into Fortnite, Super Bomberman R, Sea Of Thieves and more. I'd imagine people would be far more willing to spend on cosmetics if they could take that exact look and take it with them into several other games. Plus it could be integrated into the dashboard, your friends could see it when they go to your profile, etc.. It's exactly like in-game characters, except what you make spans over multiple games and apps.
If they want to recapture the 360 era fervor around avatars they need to create an interest level and environment that they simply don't have right now and that I believe is not in their ability to get, regardless of who they hire. They had a shot in the 360 days to cultivate a great environment for avatars with things like the Netflix online theater and 1 vs. 100 but MS pretty much wasted those opportunities to push the initial and mistaken XB1 plan instead.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People do care Avatars, but of course you can't even read any pages, just come here and leave a pointless comment.

This is the second or third time this claim has been made in this thread. Is there something in the article that I missed that has statistics indicating this?

People are getting at they want first party AAA experiences from Microsoft I believe.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with MS working on Avatars, I just think it's terrible timing. We've just come off the back of a couple of weeks in which GOW dominated both in games and narrative. Not only did it put the 'singleplayers are dead' myth to bed but it also opened up a can of worms for MS and their lack of singleplayer games. It was inevitable then that something like this was going to be compared narratively.

This generation is terrible timing for them to do something like this. If they announced it one year ago, people would be sore about Horizon or BOTW to comparisons. Before that, people would have been sore from the Fable/Scalebound cancellation. Before that, Uncharted, before that Bloodborne...

When you are so deficient in an area, any announcement not related to it will probably draw criticism. Which is probably why we are learning about this from a job posting.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I agree, but like I said, it's the timing more than anything else. It just seems a bizarre move to me.

Explain me what the timing is you speak of? They've announced these avatars in 2017.. now they have job postings. It's not like they are sending out press announcements..

This generation is terrible timing for them to do something like this. If they announced it one year ago, people would be sore about Horizon or BOTW to comparisons. Before that, people would have been sore from the Fable/Scalebound cancellation. Before that, Uncharted, before that Bloodborne...

When you are so deficient in an area, any announcement not related to it will probably draw criticism. Which is probably why we are learning about this from a job posting.

So... they shouldn't announce anything other than big singleplayer games? :P

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is the second or third time this claim has been made in this thread. Is there something in the article that I missed that has statistics indicating this?

People are getting at they want first party AAA experiences from Microsoft I believe.

Did I miss he statistics that people don't?

We don't even know what this is or what it does yet. Could be cool, could be shit. Keep an open mind. Jesus people.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Cuphead, Halo, Sea Of Thieves, Gears Of War, Ryse, State Of Decay, Sunset Overdrive, Inside, Quantum Break, Ori among others.

How many of those actually reviewed well? How many of those were disappointing in certain aspects? Halo 5 from what I HEAR online is great, but single player is pretty shit. Sea of thieves is a fun concept but nothing more until they add a crap ton of content and it's reviews reflect that. Ryse was ok for launch title, sunset overdrive i hear is great but we will never see a sequel. QB i hear is not great coming from reviews and people who played it.

Your best reviewed, received titles are the 4th gears game, and 2 smaller titles like Ori, and cuphead.

That's not good.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We've had dozens of job listings and leaks proving those things are also happening. It's not a mutual "either triple-As or avatar games". Both things are being worked on, and it's safe to assume there are far less people working on avatars than the ones working on AAA first parties.