• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Microsoft is looking for a passionate and talented Creative Director for our new Studio responsible for delivering Microsoft Avatars across all our platforms, from Xbox through to the Modern Workplace. If you have a yearning to create the future for all our digital selves, through a range of characters and styles, and you have ability to lead a team to produce stunning, high quality, real time interactive 3D embodiments, we would like to talk to you.

Says the studio will make "Microsoft avatar experiences" for Xbox One, Windows 10, Mobile, VR and AR.

Job requirements are 12+ years of 3D modeling, 5+ years of experience working with character systems on 2 or more "interactive titles".

Responsibilities of the job are working with outsourced studios to bolster creativity, create concepts/pitches/prototypes/stories that motivate the team, ensure that focus is on quality and scalability between platforms as well as performance, understand consumer/customer feedback and act accordingly, create the most beautiful avatar system ever created in the world for use and scale across all platorms.

More here: https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=06a3dcd78f075847&from=serp

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Not 100% sure but based on this, Microsoft basically wants Xbox avatars to be on every platform and wants to create games for them?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we did say MS needed more studios. Looks like we should have been a little more specific.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Games Microsoft, GAMES PLEASE!
Make-it-rain-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-5.gif

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as this doesnt harm the development output of other games I dont see a problem. Kids deserve games too.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/431040/MR-Avatar-Dev-Lead
https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/428976/Cloud-Engineering-Lead-Mixed-Reality-Avatar

This is the team they already have for Avatar development (12+ months), we know the team is on the platform side not MS studios side. It seems their job is to integrate Avatars across as many platforms as possible, be it VR as a digital representation or game integration. It seems they handle the conversation with teams who want Avatar integration.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Finally get news for MS building new studios!!!!

for avatars....

Christ. MS will never get it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We know that already. Since E3 2017 to be precisely.

Even some footage from the internal workplace there. It's a small team.

I think they are also working on a game with Avatar integration internally within the same team we heard rumors about. The last I heard it was a gameshow format. Dunno what happened to that.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, a first party Microsoft game was just the second best selling game in the US in March and they have more being developed. It may not be much in comparison to what people expect, but let's not pretend they make no games.

Hey man, these threads can't just shit themselves up.

Anyway, this is better then having Rare work on them. Be cool if we got a nice surprise from this.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Old news but I'm dying to know what that would be and look like?

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Awesome... Hope these avatars come in a story driven, single player game to rival God of War, Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us...
I know this is not real news as its just someone scouring the MS job adverts hoping to find something game related... but still...

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of show's the bias here when people's takeaway from this is somehow "Microsoft isn't developing games".

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Is this not how things like Doritos crash course are made?

Microsoft actually had a good thing going with it's avatar based family games. More of this is more than welcome.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the heart to bump the topic about Microsoft's investment in gaming?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this what they meant by more investment? To create studios that focus on stuff like Avatars?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys are misunderstanding. They've clearly secured the rights to James Cameron's Avatar 2.