• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/eldewrito-community-content

Important quotes from article:
Today we want to let our community know that Microsoft has initiated actions to protect its Halo intellectual property in the wake of the recent "ElDewrito" PC release. Community created content has long been a key pillar in the Halo franchise and something we have continuously sought to support – from the early beginnings of Red vs. Blue to Forge-made maps & modes to the "Halo Custom Edition" to original recent fan creations like "Installation 01." These projects, and others like them, have one key factor in common – they fit within Microsoft's established content usage guidelines.

As this project reverberated across the community, our team took a step back to assess the materials and explore possible avenues, while Microsoft, like any company, has a responsibility to protect its IP, code and trademarks. It's not optional in other words.

As we look ahead, we're very excited about the prospects of an official classic Halo experience making its way to PC and we hope to be able to partner with the ElDewrito team and broader mod and content creation community to help inform the types of experiences and features our fans desire. While we have nothing to announce today, please know that the PC community is very important to us and top of mind as we work towards the future.

Update: Here is the ElDewrito response: http://blog.eldewrito.com/post/173283810663/microsofts-legal-action-and-the-future-of

mod edit:
BTW, we're not "shutting down the mod" or going after the Eldewrito crew - we're enacting action to remove the Halo Online code and packages from places it's being hosted. The distinction may seem like semantics to a lot of folks, and I don't blame them for assuming that, but to be clear, this is a legally necessary step to protect code, product, IP, trademarks and copyrights, and is not optional. We're a publicly traded company, and we have a fiduciary and legal responsibility to our shareholders, and further, if we don't take steps to protect it, then we actually run the legal risk of losing it - and there's code and content in there that is still very much in use.

As a company, we spend a lot of time, effort and resources to support, amplify and enable our community creators - we have a simple set of rules that are generous and fair, that as long as they are abided by, we're happy to help with and in some cases, promote.

Halo Online code and content is not within those rules.

I hope nobody on this site thinks anyone is happy about this - at one end of the spectrum, it's sad to see folks' hard work and effort be sunsetted, and on the other, all the people who do this stuff are human. Nobody takes joy in this kind of work or responsibility. It's simply a necessary part of being a publicly traded company in the US.

If anyone wishes to send death threats, please direct those and Scholarly Legal Opinions to @franklez.

I won't be responding to this thread, because effectively I've said everything I can say here, but my one ask - a favor - is that folks try to contextualize this within real world circumstances, and not apply intent or evil where none exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

belushy

Oct 25, 2017
edit:

Hope this leads to a true Halo PC experience in the future.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty but Microsoft has to do what they have to do.

I like the idea of 343 partnering with the ElDewrito team to make something official for PC.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
it's better than any MP Halo games 343 have put out. sad.

maybe if they didn't do horrible shit like only releasing parts of the Halo 5 custom games on PC people wouldn't need to back together a corpse of a cancelled F2P just to play decent modern Halo.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
As we look ahead, we're very excited about the prospects of an official classic Halo experience making its way to PC and we hope to be able to partner with the ElDewrito team and broader mod and content creation community to help inform the types of experiences and features our fans desire. While we have nothing to announce today, please know that the PC community is very important to us and top of mind as we work towards the future.

ok.

Well uh, El Dewrito would have no reason to exist if MCC was already on PC, or at the very least if Halo Online wasn't Russia-Exclusive.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Fuckkkk It is sooo good!!!!

Can still potentially have private online through alternative hosting maybe? And I believe it has local MP option

I played a bunch of online and forge mode it's fucking beautiful at 4k60

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that sucks for everyone involved... be it 343 or ElDewrito. At least the message is clear for 343: we want Halo for pc.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we know Halo 6 is gonna release on Win10 but the real question is:

Why didn't they release the fucking Halo Online worldwide?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
They've been saying there's a clear want for Halo on PC for 10 years and they've done absolutely nothing. I'll still play ElDewrito thanks to the servers being P2P because it's probably the only way I'll be able to play Halo multiplayer on PC with my friends.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Imminent Halo Classic : Online for Xbox and PC announced at e3.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like 343 wasn't happy with what Saber Interactive was doing, or at least that's what I'm extrapolating considering the game never made it out of the Russian beta.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And I won't be giving 343 any money. You fuck up the franchise and expect this to go well?

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is optional.

Capcom have been cool with people using their shit for decades, fightcade exists and they are still selling the anniversary collection

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the future plan is for MCC to get a PC port.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
man I never even knew this existed

looked it up online and now I am just feel regret for not playing it sooner :(

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
There's always Installation on the way - you know, the Halo fangame 343 endorsed because that game is actually made from scratch and not using 343/Microsoft assets.

This is literally the only reason why Eldewrito got canned.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer, but expected. Please release a fully working MCC on PC then if you truly care, MS.

They've been saying that for 10 years. They don't care about the PC market at all. Broken game after broken game, a disastrous store and platform, UWP and its DRM, trying to get PC players to pay for Gold back on the GFWL days...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising, but
As we look ahead, we're very excited about the prospects of an official classic Halo experience making its way to PC and we hope to be able to partner with the ElDewrito team and broader mod and content creation community to help inform the types of experiences and features our fans desire.

This is way more transparent and detailed than I was expecting. Hopefully this actually turns into a port of MCC or some other kind of Halo Classic instead of it just being an attempt to sugar coat the bad news.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild how much a headline can change attitudes

4d5e0fa6-cd25-4f81-aa28-8a6b2a32d1e1.png

7ad79dc6-f641-4436-bdfa-5dddee7ee728.png

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
343s awful handling of the games has led to this point

Let's be honest, the handling of Halo on PC goes all the way back to Halo 2 Vista.

At the very least we know 6 is coming to PC and maybe MCC if they're able to get it into a solid state over the next 6-12 months with the new updates.

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why people do this. You know your work is going to be slapped with a cease and desist. I'm honestly surprised Installation 01 was allowed to continue.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Just because it's predictable doesn't mean it isn't super fucking lame. Their comments about Halo on PC don't mean much seeing as all MS IP are cross-platform going forward.

edit: my apologies, I misread the statement. They specifically mention "classic Halo." I hope they're sincere about it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they are talking with the ED team about what they need to do for future Halo PC releases, I assume MCC on PC would be the main avenue. It would be cool if they hire a few of them to work on the Halo legacy team, the team already has ex-modders leading it. If they do end up working on MCC for PC, their talent would be very valuable and would also more than likely improve the Xbox version.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate but expected.

Well the actual Halo Online was never intended for release outside of Russia. The real version was a F2P version with game affecting microtransactions and whatnot. The version that's been played is stripped and made to look like Halo 3 and is nothing what MS made.