• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone needs to take a step back and realize what's happening hear. MS is trying to partner with the team. I view that as a good thing. They'll have more resources at their disposal as well this way

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
So the only thing it changes is 343 making it clear that they're not okay with people using their IP freely for legal purposes and it not changing the fact that people can still play it and even update it, just not advertise it

what a bunch of dicks
What do you expect when they're using assets owned by Microsoft... It's not legal if it's using original assets from Halo Online (which it is). This was absolutely expected. 343/MS is totally okay with fan-games so long as they use completely original assets-- see the 343 endorsed game, Installation 01.

You can't just steal code/art assets and re-use them without repercussions =/

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would say check out Installation 01 for legal Halo fan game stuff.

As for official Halo PC stuff, I imagine we hear something in June.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
I'm not complaing about them shutting this down? It's not their IP to keep Dewrito going.
I responded to someone saying they burned a bridge with PC gamers.
You replied to me. I said if this burns a bridge.

You were complaining about the studio in general - "343 is the worst blah blah blah" - when it's clearly explained in the OP why this decision was made and what they're doing to mitigate the situation.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A good example of what happened last time MS defended their IP was when we lost a command & conquer halo mod and got the amazing halo wars instead

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone needs to take a step back and realize what's happening hear. MS is trying to partner with the team. I view that as a good thing. They'll have more resources at their disposal as well this way
Partner with them to inform what kind of classic Halo people want on PC. Not to have them develop it.

At best, that leads to capitulation and something like WoW classic, but they could just as easily get that information and do nothing with it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Partner with them to inform what kind of classic Halo people want on PC. Not to have them develop it.

At best, that leads to capitulation and something like WoW classic, but they could just as easily get that information and do nothing with it.

I highly doubt nothing positive will come of this. I guess we can all agree that we are both hoping for positive outcomes out of this

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
User Warned: Derailing with deliberately misleading photo to troll and discredit developer.
You were complaining about the studio in general - "343 is the worst blah blah blah"
halowcvenue-1.jpg

They are one of the worst devs. They've completely ruined a great franchise with every step they've taken with it. I'm not the only Halo fan with this opinion. I was responding to someone saying they burnt their bridge with PC gamers, which means they've burnt every bridge they had. They are one of the worst devs in gaming.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus all of the 343 hate in this thread is straight up embarrassing.

literally every chance they get.

halowcvenue-1.jpg

They are one of the worst devs. They've completely ruined a great franchise with every step they've taken with it. I'm not the only Halo fan with this opinion. I was responding to someone saying they burnt their bridge with PC gamers, which means they've burnt every bridge they had. They are one of the worst devs in gaming.

still using this picture, huh? Wasn't this like the overflow area?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is it actually being shut down? I already have it installed, is the game going to stop being able to connect to servers? I'm playing it right now.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt nothing positive will come of this. I guess we can all agree that we are both hoping for positive outcomes out of this
I would recommend setting your expectations low. A "classic" gametype for Halo 6 that maybe has its own playlist with some Forge maps, like the Halo: CE Anniversary stuff for Reach.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
halowcvenue-1.jpg

Your not actually using that picture as a serious point right? like.... right?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually being shut down? I already have it installed, is the game going to stop being able to connect to servers? I'm playing it right now.

Servers are P2P so you'll be able to keep playing. This only means devs won't be able to update the game anymore.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was responding to someone saying they burnt their bridge with PC gamers, which means they've burnt every bridge they had.
I really gotta laugh at the unsaid implication that Bungie would be better with PC here. Not even going to dig at the assertion that the way this particular esports venue was ran makes them the worst.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
halowcvenue-1.jpg

Okay and the recent HWC hosted by MLG was amazing. Blame ESL on that pile of balloons.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
halowcvenue-1.jpg

Care to give some examples of this? Also those pictures of HaloWC are extremely misleading, that's the overflow tent and should be banned from posted around here by now.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought a proper Halo 2/3 classic multiplayer game similar to CSGO would be a good avenue for Halo on PC. If anything ElDewrito shows there's an audience for it.

Keep prayers up for Halo MCC for PC. Didn't 343 make a specific Halo App where you can access Windows 10 Halo PC games like HW2, Spartan Assault and Halo 5 Forge? Probably the best place for MCC to land on.

Mar 23, 2018
At least it seems like MS has something planned, maybe a MS store official release for this or a MCC release in a few months(E3?). Even if they block the game's download it will still work, so why not get some good PR in the meantime? Keep ElDewrito as an official F2P Halo 3 multiplayer game to get new Halo fans and old fans around, maybe gain money via skins, customizables, effects(if this is what takes to keep it alive officially, I'll take it) and release the Master Chief Collection for the people that want to play the campaigns and their multiplayer modes. Sounds good enough?

Anyway, I have one suggestion: get this dudes. Sign up the people behind this mod. They are talented individuals that understand what makes Halo fun for many fans that maybe stopped playing a few years ago. In other words, they can help you make more money.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
halowcvenue-1.jpg

posting pics of last year's HWC, really? 343 learned their lesson and this year we got one of the best HWC since the birth of the franchise. To be honest, I'm not even sure what you are trying to prove at this point.

I know you are mad, but at least try and be objective, it's embarassing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Should give the devs jobs for sparking interest back into classic Halo tbh

Maybe all this will get people to notice the MCC updates coming too

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft are well within their rights here to issue a C&D, but it is a slap in the face of passionate gamers who pretty much created a mod for a region-locked game.

0.6 is out, servers are P2P and I'm sure the game will continue to go strong. Only thing that'll happen is that there will be no more updates for ElDewrito.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
At least it seems like MS has something planned, maybe a MS store official release for this or a MCC release in a few months(E3?). Even if they block the game's download it will still work, so why not get some good PR in the meantime? Keep ElDewrito as an official F2P Halo 3 multiplayer game to get new Halo fans and old fans around, maybe gain money via skins, customizables, effects(if this is what takes to keep it alive officially, I'll take it) and release the Master Chief Collection for the people that want to play the campaigns and their multiplayer modes. Sounds good enough?

Anyway, I have one suggestion: get this dudes. Sign up the people behind this mod. They are talented individuals that understand what makes Halo fun for many fans that maybe stopped playing a few years ago. In other words, they can help you make more money.

They dont need to "keep" anything. There is nothing MS can do to stop people from downloading (it can just be re-uploaded everywhere) and playing (p2p/ dedicated servers), they can only stop development.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They dont need to "keep" anything. There is nothing MS can do to stop people from downloading (it can just be re-uploaded everywhere) and playing (p2p/ dedicated servers), they can only stop development.
The server browser is also going to go down, that alone will kill this game.

I've been playing this non stop the last few days, and while it's fun it's a complete pile of jank with a lot of bugs. I don't think they would want to turn this into an official project as it would take a lot of work to get it to a decent state worth being an official project tied to 343's and MS's name.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty but Microsoft has to do what they have to do.

I like the idea of 343 partnering with the ElDewrito team to make something official for PC.

I'm worried it'll be like the new Halos, which I don't particularly care for. I'd much rather they just bring MCC to PC and make sure it works.

Jesus all of the 343 hate in this thread is straight up embarrassing.

A lot of people aren't happy with the newer Halos. Doesn't help that MCC had a lot of issues a launch.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This news is neither shocking nor unwarranted.

Having said that, it's kind of amazing how Microsoft has failed to capitalize on bringing Halo to PC at all. And I'm not saying that they should have released a PC version of the most recent Halo title day-and-date with an Xbox version. It just seems like such a missed opportunity to have fostered further interest in the series over the years. Completely baffling.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft slowly realizing people want BUNGIE's Halo back.

And they're going to fight hard to keep that from happening.

Too late tho, we got ours.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft slowly realizing people want BUNGIE's Halo back.

And they're going to fight hard to keep that from happening.

Too late tho, we got ours.

What part of this paragraph makes you think that?

As we look ahead, we're very excited about the prospects of an official classic Halo experience making its way to PC and we hope to be able to partner with the ElDewrito team and broader mod and content creation community to help inform the types of experiences and features our fans desire. While we have nothing to announce today, please know that the PC community is very important to us and top of mind as we work towards the future.

This sounds like they may embrace them in some form. Compared to Blizzard's attitude to vanilla WoW a few years ago I'd say this is a great sign.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Currently copying the files of the game to my external hard drive, I will ensure to never lose them.

If they decide to release the MCC on PC, I will buy it for sure, even if it means having to touch that piece of junk they call a store. In the meantime, I'll play this.

Oct 25, 2017
What part of this paragraph makes you think that?

This sounds like they may embrace them in some form. Compared to Blizzard's attitude to vanilla WoW a few years ago I'd say this is a great sign.

They took 3+ years to get MCC not broken. they appeal to the lowest common denominator shooter fan (Cod, BF) with their games at the expense of classic halo. halo 5 shipped with a ton of MP content missing(mind you this was content that was in the earlier games as well)

also they added needless changes like iron sights and sprint just because "modern shooters have them"

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is usually pretty good lately but i'm not falling for the PR speak this time.

All i'm reading from this is "we will announce master chief collection for PC at E3".
when that isn't even the same thing as the original halos. It's edited to remove the fun factor. Devoid of armor customization that each particular halo game had, and such things that just gave the games their own homey feel.

I don't think MCC replicated a Bungie Halo. But it sure did try.

Don't get me started on how it would likely launch without a server browser.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Also hopefully MS will either fix the Windows Store or put whatever results from this on Steam too. Cuz otherwise anything they would make would be DOA on PC.

If this is true then this is pretty shitty.

To be fair this isn't some harmless fan game made from scratch. It's a full blown mod using their code.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Microsoft can pop off and remove every download link they find for the game - it's out there and it's community ran. It's going to survive and be passed on.

Enough with the platitudes like "we love the PC community and are dedicated to providing content for them" when you haven't released an acceptable product for the platform in a decade. It's absolutely insulting and frankly, this only exists because there isn't an official product as a proper substitution.

ThirtyFive

Oct 28, 2017
Why is everyone saying this just released...?

As far as I know, people have been playing this for years. They may have made a major version release, but it's still not 1.0

I think the game had even seen some press in the past. I would have thought this would come sooner.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft can pop off and remove every download link they find for the game - it's out there and it's community ran. It's going to survive and be passed on.

Enough with the platitudes like "we love the PC community and are dedicated to providing content for them" when you haven't released an acceptable product for the platform in a decade. It's absolutely insulting and frankly, this only exists because there isn't an official product as a proper substitution.

I dunno dude people seem to like Cuphead and Killer Instinct.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay and the recent HWC hosted by MLG was amazing. Blame ESL on that pile of balloons.

This is the side entrance to the ESL studio, and the balloons are from a kid's birthday party a block away. But it's a great illustration of how balanced these conversations are. It;'s tough for us to refute things like this. It looks defensive, for one thing, and often we're tilting at windmills. That event was packed, energetic, fun and enjoyable. As someone else pointed out, those balloons are close to the overflow tent, which was required because we couldn't fit everyone in the main studio. Ask someone who went.

BTW, we're not "shutting down the mod" or going after the Eldewrito crew - we're enacting action to remove the Halo Online code and packages from places it's being hosted. The distinction may seem like semantics to a lot of folks, and I don't blame them for assuming that, but to be clear, this is a legally necessary step to protect code, product, IP, trademarks and copyrights, and is not optional. We're a publicly traded company, and we have a fiduciary and legal responsibility to our shareholders, and further, if we don't take steps to protect it, then we actually run the legal risk of losing it - and there's code and content in there that is still very much in use.

As a company, we spend a lot of time, effort and resources to support, amplify and enable our community creators - we have a simple set of rules that are generous and fair, that as long as they are abided by, we're happy to help with and in some cases, promote.

Halo Online code and content is not within those rules.

I hope nobody on this site thinks anyone is happy about this - at one end of the spectrum, it's sad to see folks' hard work and effort be sunsetted, and on the other, all the people who do this stuff are human. Nobody takes joy in this kind of work or responsibility. It's simply a necessary part of being a publicly traded company in the US.

If anyone wishes to send death threats, please direct those and Scholarly Legal Opinions to @franklez.

I won't be responding to this thread, because effectively I've said everything I can say here, but my one ask - a favor - is that folks try to contextualize this within real world circumstances, and not apply intent or evil where none exists.

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Also hopefully MS will either fix the Windows Store or put whatever results from this on Steam too. Cuz otherwise anything they would make would be DOA on PC.

To be fair this isn't some harmless fan game made from scratch. It's a full blown mod using their code.
Completely understood, but an immediate shut down just seems unnecessary when an official announcement of a classic Halo experience/MCC has yet to be made. Only acknowledgements. What's the harm in waiting to do this before E3 where people expect a lot of Halo? If anything this is starting up the hype train for that IMO.

Appreciate the response Stinkles , just disappointing. Can't reallt argue with the shareholder logic. Hopefully a great appearance at E3 can get people back in good graces.