• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
More Opportunities for Players around the World to get involved

Since beginning the preview, we've been sending out waves of invites to registered gamers, and today, we're sending out additional invites so more people can experience Project xCloud. We will continue inviting more and more players over the course of the preview, so if you have not already registered, you can sign up here.

We will also bring Project xCloud Preview to more markets beginning in 2020, such as Canada, India, Japan, and Western Europe. Expanding to additional markets over time is an important step in our journey to delight the 2 billion gamers in the world. We'll have more details to share soon on when and how to register.

What's ahead?
We believe that Project xCloud is a key component that will help us achieve our dream of gaming for everyone, everywhere in true Xbox style by…
  • Partnering with the world's best: Content developers/publishers, silicon designers, hardware manufacturers, mobile operators, distributors, and many others.
  • Doing it in the way that requires no work for the developers: The over 3,500 games on Xbox One today & 1,900 games currently in development are already working on xCloud.
  • Bringing along your friends, your achievements, your saved game, and your progression so that you don't have to start over.
  • Combining our strengths in Content, Community, and Cloud with YOU, the gamer, at the center.
We believe in the freedom to play and the freedom to choose. In 2020 we will enable gamers to stream from the cloud Xbox games that they already own or will purchase. We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass. Gamers will be free to discover, choose, and play their favorite games anywhere and everywhere.

X019: Expanding Project xCloud with More Games, More Ways to Play, and More Players

Microsoft has announced at X019 that 1,900 Xbox games in development will automatically support XCloud, these are games that are traditional $60 games being able to work on XCloud and XCloud will also support all Game Pass games. I think it pretty much means that Microsoft has transitioned the Xbox platform to the cloud. This is similar Stadia, where it supports traditional purchases and subscriptions like Uplay. This means that purchases that happen on the Xbox platform will work on Mobile, tablets, Smart TVs Consoles etc. However MS will still sell consoles, but it's clear that Consoles sales doesn't mean much anymore and it shows.

The questions is whether Sony will also follow suit and transition the PS platform away from consoles and into the cloud. Yes this would be it sacrifice Console sales. But Sony has historically been a conservative company, so they might no move the PS platform to the Cloud as aggressively as Microsoft.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Well, doubt it. I think your massively overestimating the number of folks that want to play non free to play, and especially AAA games, on a phone or small screen device.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a traditional gamer I m not a fan so I hope not . I rather focus be on local hardware and amazing software . But I could see some might like it

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Is this just a press release copy pasta?

I think streaming services and subscriptions are the way of the future, but I think Xbox is a generation too early. People rejected the XONE philosophies and I think this is less in that direction, but still in that direction, except MS has earned goodwill with Games Pass being a killer deal so far.

I'm subscribed to Games Pass, but find myself more interested in Sony Exclusives and the Switch's portability factor. Aside from Smash, my Switch is a portable device. Personally, I've always been more interested in owning my games, but it seems like Sony's already following suit by lowering the price of PSNOW.

I think Sony will do what it should do and is focusing on its next console and the success of it's physical console. I imagine halfway through the next generation it will be doing what MS is doing now.

MS is doing some great stuff and is laying down a foundation for some cool services at price points that work for us as consumers. However, I think the PlayStation brand will benefit from it the most by the end of the next-gen. That's just my gut impression.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect them to any time soon since their hardware and software sell very well in a more traditional sense. If it takes off and cloud is the one true future they will still be fine because of the appeal and market strength of their brand. They should be able to pivot and keep a majority of their consumers if need be. Granted I'm no analyst or fortune teller.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Well, doubt it. I think your massively overestimating the number of folks that want to play non free to play, and especially AAA games, on a phone or small screen device.

The size of the device doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's the idea that you're able to play digital bought Xbox games and Game Pass games on Low end PCs, Tablets, Smart TVs, basically anything that has a screen.

It's a platform that is not bound by specs of a device. I think there's massive potential for this for game companies, developers and Microsoft.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to know for sure at this point.

Sony's focus is not console sales though - it's software sales ultimately. They're interested in consoles to the extent that they cut a path to the user's future attention and software spending i.e. when you buy a PS you're more likely to buy your games on PS going forward. If the relationship between those two things broke down, Sony wouldn't care at all about console sales - in and of themselves they are a low margin, high effort product. If they can maintain that relationship - and keeping games 'off' the cloud is a successful part of that - they'll be happy as larry, but they may not have much choice.

I would note that at its corporate strategy day, Sony mentioned 'new entitlement models' as a bullet point for future PSNow development. That invites speculation on what that could mean, and might be relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are not moving to the cloud, they are just offering a wide variety of ways to play the games you want to. I am sure Xcloud will get bigger and bigger due to Game Pass but I can still see MS making consoles for the foreseeable future. More options are great!

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Sony thrives on single player AAA games. A cloud based system would be suicide for them.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony thrives on single player games. A cloud based system would be suicide for them.
Not sure what you think the cloud has to do with multiplayer or not. It's like you've been so trained to scoff at anything 'other' that you have no idea what the actual terms mean.

The cloud removes the barrier of being strapped to a multi hundred dollar box at the tv. they still offer the box for people that want the 'true' experience.

Not sure why people try to fear monger and pretend otherwise.

It is ONLY a positive that I can play Halo infinite at home on my pc, visit my cousin and play on their xbox, and then bust it out on my phone and have some fun on a road trip or whatever.

The majority of game pass games are single player.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I hope they do, traditional consoles as a concept are pointless now. PCs and hybrid consoles should really be the only hardware solution in the future.

People argue about performance and visual quality with artifacts. But PC's provide that kind of hardware solutions, and online is free.

Hybrids like the Switch try to balance that with some sacrifice to the visuals with the trade off that you don't need to have an internet connection.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sony thrives on single player AAA games. A cloud based system would be suicide for them.
Single player AAA games and cloud based systems don't interfere with each other.

What MS is doing is giving people options. I can play on my console, switch to my PC and play on my phone when i'm traveling.

As someone traveling on average 3 days a week i wish sony would give me those options.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Streaming and XCloud will be big in the following years perhasp only in the US. ROTW don't care or have the right Hardware to make it work perfectly.

And since the US isn't Sonys main market, i don't think they need to do much.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Streaming and XCloud will be big in the following years perhasp only in the US. ROTW don't care or have the right Hardware to make it work perfectly.

And since the US isn't Sonys main market, i don't think they need to do much.

Microsoft targetting India, Western Europe and Japan and Canada. India is a massive market and MS already has a Cloud presence there, so there's tones of opportunity.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This.

Services is where the money is at.
MS already was proved right about not investing in the blu ray format: it hasn't still made Sony profitable after a decade, and probably never will.

"But what if Sony didn't put 6 billion dollars into the format??"
We'd be using HD-DVD.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft targetting India, Western Europe and Japan and Canada. India is a massive market and MS already has a Cloud presence there, so there's tones of opportunity.

I live in Germany. Trust me, MS can target what they want here as long as the infrastructure is as shit as it is right now, you won't see many people trying to stream Games here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I pivot ur question . Service based offerings is MS core . Why does Sony have to pivot their strategy to follow MS when they r core is hardware and entertainment?why does Sony " HAVE to "follow MS? Each will have their own audience .

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I live in Germany. Trust me, MS can target what they want here as long as the infrastructure is as shit as it is right now, you won't see many people trying to stream Games here.

The only way to get around that is by working with carriers, something that Microsoft is at least starting to do. Azure is has a big presence in Germany. Sony hasn't worked with carriers at all, hence why PS Now is shit when on the road.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I pivot ur question . Service based offerings is MS core . Why does Sony have to pivot their strategy to follow MS when they r core is hardware and entertainment?why does Sony " HAVE to "follow MS? Each will have their own audience .
They don't have to but as they're a company they want to make money and you make much more money selling services than building consoles which have traditionally are small margin.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Single player AAA games and cloud based systems don't interfere with each other.

What MS is doing is giving people options. I can play on my console, switch to my PC and play on my phone when i'm traveling.

As someone traveling on average 3 days a week i wish sony would give me those options.

They already do?

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just dropped the price of psnow and have added much more popular games to the service. They have a different strategy and don't need to follow the unsustainable path that ms taking.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are these all available to stream from your Xbox or actually available to buy and stream independent of owning a Xbox? Because it would seem odd that they are actually available to stream and be sold without an Xbox but not all gamepass games will be available right away on xcloud.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They don't have to but as they're a company they want to make money and you make much more money selling services than building consoles which have traditionally are small margin.
Tell that to Netflix and Spotify. Both huge services yet doing ok to bad . Nothing is guruanteed and we don't even know how Ms doing as they r not disclosing any numbers

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The only way to get around that is by working with carriers, something that Microsoft is at least starting to do. Azure is has a big presence in Germany. Sony hasn't worked with carriers at all, hence why PS Now is shit when on the road.

I don't understand what MS or Sony have to do with the shit Internet we have in germany? I don't think MS will invest billions of Euros to install glass fiber in germany.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"PC Game Pass is already affecting my purchasing decision on Steam, is this Microsoft's end goal?"

"Microsoft is moving the Xbox Console platform to the Cloud, will Sony follow suit or will they focus on console sales?"

"And Just Like That, Microsoft Showed How Weak Stadia's Offering Is With Their Project xCloud Announcements"

"People who got GamePass for Gears 5 in September. Did you renew?"

"Xbox will have almost 1 XGS game released per month in 2020"

"Xbox Game Pass |OT| Game Pass and Chill"

Loving all these gamepads threads on the first page, if you want to discuss it more, just make a new thread!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"PC Game Pass is already affecting my purchasing decision on Steam, is this Microsoft's end goal?"

"Microsoft is moving the Xbox Console platform to the Cloud, will Sony follow suit or will they focus on console sales?"

"And Just Like That, Microsoft Showed How Weak Stadia's Offering Is With Their Project xCloud Announcements"

"People who got GamePass for Gears 5 in September. Did you renew?"

"Xbox will have almost 1 XGS game released per month in 2020"

"Xbox Game Pass |OT| Game Pass and Chill"

Loving all these gamepads threads on the first page, if you want to discuss it more, just make a new thread!

Thanks for adding to the Game Pass discussion;)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
That's not what you were saying in your post. You can play Horizon on your PS4, switch on your PC and continue on your phone through Remote Play.
I can only remote play when i have the game installed and my PS4 is available to connect to. I often switch to PC or Mobile while my wife plays on our PS4 or watches netflix on it so remote play doesn't really work in that situation.

I don't want to stream from my console or PC. I could do that since forever.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Could end up being the next 'iphone' or the next 'kinect'.

But Sony needs to react either way.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There's nothing unsustainable about it. What are you talking about?

You haven't been paying attention to the Gamepass discussion? Dumping your AAA flagships on a service for little to no money is thought to be unsustainable as it's currently cannibalizing retail sales in a big way. Microsoft is aiming for the long game though, but we'll just have to wait whether the traditional 'AAA' game has a place on a service like it over more numerous lower budget games with GAAS potential.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
You haven't been paying attention to the Gamepass discussion? Dumping your AAA flagships on a service for little to no money is thought to be unsustainable as it's currently cannibalizing retail sales in a big way. Microsoft is aiming for the long game though, but we'll just have to wait whether the traditional 'AAA' game has a place on a service like it over more numerous lower budget games with GAAS potential.

Except this discussion isn't about Game Pass...... XCloud supports Game Pass and digital Xbox purchases.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft is moving there slowly. They even said so themselves. This coming gen will be all about the Scarlett and during that gen we'll see how the balance will fare. I'm still not convinced in cloud gaming, at least not till good internet is readily available everywhere. My guess is well have two more gens with an actualy box before cloud becomes the standard. Until then it will be a great option for those that want it and it will grow slow and steady.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, eventually sure.

But all this talk about game streaming is being led solely by the companies themselves and not from actual market demand.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Tell that to Netflix and Spotify. Both huge services yet doing ok to bad . Nothing is guruanteed and we don't even know how Ms doing as they r not disclosing any numbers
Why are you comparing Xcloud to streaming flatrates? The Service features full game purchases IIRC.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Is this just a press release copy pasta?

I think streaming services and subscriptions are the way of the future, but I think Xbox is a generation too early. People rejected the XONE philosophies and I think this is less in that direction, but still in that direction, except MS has earned goodwill with Games Pass being a killer deal so far.

I'm subscribed to Games Pass, but find myself more interested in Sony Exclusives and the Switch's portability factor. Aside from Smash, my Switch is a portable device. Personally, I've always been more interested in owning my games, but it seems like Sony's already following suit by lowering the price of PSNOW.

I think Sony will do what it should do and is focusing on its next console and the success of it's physical console. I imagine halfway through the next generation it will be doing what MS is doing now.

MS is doing some great stuff and is laying down a foundation for some cool services at price points that work for us as consumers. However, I think the PlayStation brand will benefit from it the most by the end of the next-gen. That's just my gut impression.

The reason why imo Microsoft is making moves now is when it becomes mainstream, they would already have a massive library of digital purchase games and games from Game Pass. If they were to start 1 gen late, their library would be much much smaller to start with when Cloud gaming becomes mainstream.

If Sony started moving PS Platform to the Cloud by the end of next gen. It would have been too late since they won't have a big enough library when Cloud gaming becomes mainstream.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Moving to the Cloud and Streaming is always online DRM in a different form.

I'll never understand it. I'm too old.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The reason why imo Microsoft is making moves now is when it becomes mainstream, they would already have a massive library of digital purchase games and games from Game Pass. If they were to start 1 gen late, their library would be much much smaller to start with when Cloud gaming becomes mainstream.

If Sony started moving PS Platform to the Cloud by the end of next gen. It would have been too late since they won't have a big enough library when Cloud gaming becomes mainstream.

I'm confused, Sony's been putting their games on their cloud service for the entire generation and will continue to do so.