• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slingles

Oct 29, 2017
South Wales
Techland Senior PR Ola Sondej has publicly stated Techland will remain an independent studio

"In case you guys wondered, Techland was not acquired by another publisher," Sondej tweeted shortly after the rumours released. "We're still an independent studio, and will deliver Dying Light 2 on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4."

Sources:
MSPoweruser/Twitter

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well that sucks. Techland needs a larger company to push them to finish their shit. Hellraid should not have been a fucking DLC. Dying Light 2 tbh should have been top prio.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
This PR person is saying they haven't been acquired. That doesn't rule out the possibility it's being explored.

If the rumours of MS looking into acquiring Techland have been out there for months and employees supposedly don't know much more than we do (judging by the article in the other thread), then that lends credence to the notion talks have been had, otherwise, why wouldn't Techland management communicate to their employees that a buyout wasn't being explored?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't mean they weren't approached (see Platinum) though like in PG's case, I'd much rather they sought a funding deal that allowed them to remain independent if they're low on funds.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This PR person is saying they haven't been acquired. That doesn't rule out the possibility it's being explored.

If the rumours of MS looking into acquiring Techland have been out there for months and employees supposedly don't know much more than we do (judging by the article in the other thread), then that lends credence to the notion talks have been had, otherwise, why wouldn't Techland management communicate to their employees that a buyout wasn't being explored?
Why would they communicate they aren't being bought out to their employees? The reason they would communicate with employees is if the buyout talks got serious and they needed to know, not if it wasn't happening and nothing is changing.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Why would they communicate they aren't being bought out to their employees? The reason they would communicate with employees is if the buyout talks got serious and they needed to know, not if it wasn't happening and nothing is changing.

Generally speaking, if a persistent rumour is out there that could possibly affect the lives of employees, (good) management tend to keep things above board and communicate with staff to keep them appraised of any changing circumstances.

The rumour, as I understand it, hasn't been that MS was merely interested or just looking into the possibility of acquiring Techland, but that they are actually in negotiation proceeding to an undetermined level.

I work in a completely different line of work, but my company has been going through the process of buyouts from two separate companies: one fell through, the other is proceeding towards finalisation. Every step of the way, once actual negotiations become public knowledge, this being communicated to all employees.

If Techland employees don't know whether an acquisition is on the table or not, then I'm leaning towards it still being explored, in which case this statement by the PR representative is entirely accurate.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking, if a persistent rumour is out there that could possibly affect the lives of employees, (good) management tend to keep things above board and communicate with staff to keep them appraised of any changing circumstances.

The rumour, as I understand it, hasn't been that MS was merely interested or just looking into the possibility of acquiring Techland, but that they are actually in negotiation proceeding to an undetermined level.

I work in a completely different line of work, but my company has been going through the process of buyouts from two separate companies: one fell through, the other is proceeding towards finalisation. Every step of the way, once actual negotiations become public knowledge, this being communicated to all employees.

If Techland employees don't know whether an acquisition is on the table or not, then I'm leaning towards it still being explored, in which case this statement by the PR representative is entirely accurate.
Unless I'm misrembering the rumour was they were looking to buy a Polish studio, not Techland specifically, they are just a not near impossible buy like CD Projekt, so people thought it could be them.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Unless I'm misrembering the rumour was they were looking to buy a Polish studio, not Techland specifically, they are just a not near impossible buy like CD Projekt.

You may be right about this.

I agree CDPR is and always was pure fantasy.

I'm not expecting any more acquisition news any time soon from XGS, maybe next year or at their X0 event later this year if they have one.

Feb 10, 2018
They dont need anymore studios, especially when we consider a few of there devs have multiple teams working on multiple games.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I remember reading someone saying that MS was investing in Poland and looking for studios. But i could be remember it wrong
Think you are referring to this.
www.resetera.com

RUMOR: Microsoft was in Poland and it was interested in new teams that could join to XGS!

Borys Nieśpielak (director of the awarded film „We are alright” about developing of indie games, and who knows some people in Polish game industry), in his last podcast said that Microsoft was in Poland and it was interested in new teams that could join to XGS! Polish game developers which...

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Think you are referring to this.
www.resetera.com

RUMOR: Microsoft was in Poland and it was interested in new teams that could join to XGS!

Borys Nieśpielak (director of the awarded film „We are alright” about developing of indie games, and who knows some people in Polish game industry), in his last podcast said that Microsoft was in Poland and it was interested in new teams that could join to XGS! Polish game developers which...
Thank you. I knew I remember something about it.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I just don't think MS or Sony are going to buy any big third party publishers in general. Acquisitions either need to be a rather small studio or a studio which has mainly worked with the one making the purchase.

People here are talking like money is irrelevant as long as their favourite company gets some big studios under their wing.

There's way too many variables when you buy a third party studio which already has sales expectations from both platforms and a cost structure based on those projected sales. It's way too expensive and risky to be sensible business.

On some other threads people were suggesting that if MS was smart, they would just give cyberpunk free with XSX or get it to Gamepass at launch. With how far behind Xbox is to others atm and how game pass is still having its baby steps as a service, these kind of suggestions with the dreams of big studio acquisitions just show a complete lack of sense or understanding of anything related to these things.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this news tidbit part of the reassurance that everything was going well in light of the tweet that said working conditions were awful and Dying Light 2 was a mess?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Kinda strange what's going on over there. I wonder then if the rumors of MS scouting in Poland have credence and who they would grab. CDPR doesn't need an owner and I don't think they'll pick up PCF.

As I understand it Gears: Judgement wasn't terrible, but it definitely didn't reach the heights of the original or new trilogy.

Fingers crossed for Reikon Games getting picked up for a bigger and badder RUINER sequel.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
I dont know why people always predicting MS or Sony buying big studios with 300+ employees, just isn't likely to happen. Also most of their buys weren't rumored heavily before, Obsidian is the only one where we heard a lot before it was announced. MS buys have been all small talented studios, which will grow under Xbox Game Studios. Even their biggest buy Obsidian didn't make an AAA game in ages. If they buy a Polish studio I think someone like Team Blooper is more likely than those big names. Fits more with the other studios, have been at MS's E3 stage with Blair Witch and Xbox lack horror titles in their portfolio. Even from a marketing point it seems like Capcom sticks with Sony for Resident Evil and if the rumors are true Silent Hill will be with Sony too, Frictional Games still prefering Sony with Amnesia Rebirth and then you have potentially Kojima making a horror game for them too. So it wouldn't shock me if MS is interested in getting their own big horror game, even if it's only a partnership and not a straight buy.

In general I think MS is probably done with buying studios anyway and rather look at the output of their studios now. I can see them getting a Japanese studio if there is a possibility, but otherwise the best thing right now for them would probably expanding their bought studios and making sure that their first party lineup can also match the quality and not only the quantity of Nintendo and Sony.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
There were probably talks maybe, which would make that one rumor saying they were thinking of acquiring a polish team true, though I believe there was a smaller team in Poland people were saying where more likely.

Good.

The less of the industry Microsoft owns, the better.
489126627624615946.png