• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That's silly.

We have seen what one generation of developers did with Half Life.

Let's see what a new generation can do. The IP to me is like SW, or Batman. Let different guys have a go.

I agree with the first sentiment, which is still ultimately what you would get with Valve, which is far different today than what it was, with many of the old guard having retired. What make me more interest in a Valve HL is the mentality the company still has toward development in general. The fact that an "easy" solution of just making more HL for the sake of it hasn't happen is already good to me. HL2:EP2 while awesome, was also getting pretty dry. I really don't care about a Naughty Dog / Nintendo / Insert-fan-wet-dream-here version of HL, because ultimately all those companies are better served making their own unique IP and direction, filled with their own character, mentality towards any game world.

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017
Nice Name, Email Address and IP Address in the screencap. I would recommend blurring that shit out.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with the first sentiment, which is still ultimately what you would get with Valve, which is far different today than what it was, with many of the old guard having retired. What make me more interest in a Valve HL is the mentality the company still has toward development in general. The fact that an "easy" solution of just making more HL for the sake of it hasn't happen is already good to me. HL2:EP2 while awesome, was also getting pretty dry. I really don't care about a Naughty Dog / Nintendo / Insert-fan-wet-dream-here version of HL, because ultimately all those companies are better served making their own unique IP and direction, filled with their own character, mentality towards any game world.

Valve are done making games. There will be no more HL with them.

It's why I want them to sell. And to a dev or a publisher who invokes what HL is about.

For me it's Zenimax

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Is this real?

haha-gif-13.gif

Arkert

Oct 28, 2017
But it only says the he knows of. He probably delegates most of the day to day, this could still be happening.

RIP to a publicly available email address?
Publicly available like every email address. But this screenshot could go viral and u know how the internet is

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yea no one thought this was a thing. People thought the EA acquisition could be real though.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
I don't understand why would MS want to buy Valve, they are already the largest distributor of windows apps for gaming, they basically are working for Windows to be the best platform for gaming.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely it would be cheaper for Microsoft to brute force patch all versions of Windows to automatically load Windows Store instead of Steam when you click on the Steam icon. With an evil laugh sound effect.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why would MS want to buy Valve, they are already the largest distributor of windows apps for gaming, they basically work for MS.

Well Valve basically prints money, so I guess maybe that.

This was never, EVER happening though. Gabe would have to sell it off to someone else (probably a publicly-traded company) before MS could even have a shot at scooping Valve up.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Imagine Microsoft actually buying Valve and merging Steam and the Windows 10 store and forcing every future game release to be UWP
zqy5vt.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Valve are done making games. There will be no more HL with them.

It's why I want them to sell. And to a dev or a publisher who invokes what HL is about.

For me it's Zenimax

Wahahaha! Thank god you're not in charge. Again, I'm happy they are doing what they are doing, but couldn't care less for them getting anyone else's IP to put their own spin on it.

I am pretty certain Valve are not done making games

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
"The community is shaken."

What? Did anyone actually expect this to happen? If MS is going to buy a company they're going to go after one that makes games and right now that isn't Valve.

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad, Valve might have had to actually create games like Half Life again
At the expense of their far more interesting projects (Steam Controller/Virtual Reality/SteamOS)

I'd love for them to strike a balance as a game dev/interesting tech company but if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go with the latter. Also, frankly I don't want a new Half-Life unless they have something to show off technically or "show the industry how it's done".

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Publicly available like every email address. But this screenshot could go viral and u know how the internet is
This isn't the first time he's received and responded to emails publicly. This isn't going to go any more viral than it has for literally years and years when people were asking about episode 3 and other stupid stuff.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
At the expense of their far more interesting projects (Steam Controller/Virtual Reality/SteamOS)

I'd love for them to strike a balance as a game dev/interesting tech company but if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go with the latter. Also, frankly I don't want a new Half-Life unless they have something to show off technically or "show the industry how it's done".

Yeah, one would hope so, but they definitely shuffled the company up to get in the direction of VR / hardware and platform development over the past years. Definitely preferring the idea that they do something new, as akin of the old days of "show the industry how it's done". I don't feel there are many gaming companies around doing much of that for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the first time he's received and responded to emails publicly. This isn't going to go any more viral than it has for literally years and years when people were asking about episode 3 and other stupid stuff.
Hell, IIRC, the "gaben" meme actually started because he gave out his email in the developer commentary on a Valve game (I think either TF2 or Portal) and asked people to email him.

Oct 29, 2017
I rather HL crash and burn with Valve or see a return with them than farmed out for perpetual sequels till its wasted away and they either reboot / make some other franchise. There are plenty of franchises and companies you can get that from.
Why not just play the third one and ignore the rest. No one would be forcing you to play the other installments.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that everyone knew this wasn't going to happen. If Valve/Steam is basically seen as the "Go To" other than the Microsoft Store, then it would be safe to assume that they wouldn't take a buy out into consideration.

Still, I think everyone is much more interested in the case of EA.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
But it only says the he knows of. He probably delegates most of the day to day, this could still be happening.

RIP to a publicly available email address?

He owns controlling stake in Valve...

A sale is literally impossible without him getting involved. And who delegates regarding the sale of an entire company that they own?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Here we will all act like this is common knowledge, seemingly forgetting there was a 90+ page thread on this nonsense that was full of people who thought this was a real possibility.
That's a bald faced lie.

80 pages were focused on ea. I doubt you can find even 2 pages worth about valve let alone 2 pages of people thinking ms would buy them instead of people laughing it off.

Nov 28, 2017
I was expecting someone to mail him and him responding to it, eventually this thread. Nice that he confirmed it, given this is real. Oh, and you might want to blur the private stuff like the name, mail (not Gabe's) and IP out, OP.

Awe Yiss, now for EA to hopefully come out and tell it how it is.

"Microsoft are not buying us or pushing for a hostile takeover, so please stop buying our stocks and inflating the prices even more, which is already at a record high!"

Yep, totally happening.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bald faced lie.

80 pages were focused on ea. I doubt you can find even 2 pages worth about valve let alone 2 pages of people thinking ms would buy them instead of people laughing it off.

To be fair I was including EA in that nonsense as there's very little chance the main company would let gaming side have the 35 billion needed to buy EA. But it's not as dumb as the Valve part, as it could happen.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, since when can you email Gabe directly!?

This has been the case since before HL2 I think. There is always a message somewhere with his email address asking for feedback. The whole meme of "GabeN" (as one word) comes from Gabe asking people to email him with feedback during game commentary etc

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Valve never even crossed my mind as a possibility. EA though, even if it's pretty much BS, seems possible.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This has been the case since before HL2 I think. There is always a message somewhere with his email address asking for feedback. The whole meme of "GabeN" (as one word) comes from Gabe asking people to email him with feedback during game commentary etc

Why did people start to assume "looking into" = "deal is done"

Gabe actually response to peoples e-mails all the time so it's not that big of a surprise.

Interesting, I wonder if he has responded to any questions in regards to future game development plans or anything specific like a sequel for Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, etc.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I wonder if he has responded to any questions in regards to future game development plans or anything specific like a sequel for Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, etc.
not sure about emails but he has in interviews. the answer I remember him giving is that when they develop new tech they look for a game that fits the tech - so HL 3 would only be made if they have something new and innovative that would push that type of game experiences forward. Something like a completely new approach to storytelling/narrative in games would be a good fit I guess.
I like this approach - if we ever get HL 3 we can be pretty sure it will be something groundbreaking. It's a shame though that the industry and fans are so obsessed with IP and content, when gameplay experience and new ideas are the things we really should be looking for.