• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Billionaire who hates Microsoft doesn't want to sell company to Microsoft. More at 8.

Shocking. Microsoft very well could have inquired about buying Valve, but of course it isn't happening lol. Why would a billionaire sell a company that makes an absolute mint from just maintaining a store front, and has the majority of market share? Just take a look at the "PC gaming has too many launchers" thread on here at the moment, it's filled with "i don't buy games unless they're on steam" comments.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Billionaire who hates Microsoft doesn't want to sell company to Microsoft. More at 8.

Shocking. Microsoft very well could have inquired about buying Valve, but of course it isn't happening lol. Why would a billionaire sell a company that makes an absolute mint from just maintaining a store front, and has the majority of market share? Just take a look at the "PC gaming has too many launchers" thread on here at the moment, it's filled with "i don't buy games unless they're on steam" comments.

They do a lot more than maintain a storefront. Steam had a bunch of great optional features for the user and also a ton of backend development that valve works on all the time.

Do you really think steam is so popular because of a brand loyalty alone? Most people don't operate like that, you know. Steam is popular because it's a very good product, service and store.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
jWHv5bB.gif

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Gabe isn't a Microsoft fan. Still makes sense for Microsoft to see if he has a price. Unlikely buyout but nobody should be shocked if Microsoft tried.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He is the owner of valve and valve is a privately held company which makes him the sole owner. If there had been any offers or moves made by MS he would know.

I am baffled by how many people bought into these rumors of Balve and/or EA being acquired. Y'all are letting your own biases cloud your judgement if you think these things are at all likely to occur.

You better read the earnings report with Nadella s comments. It's definitely on the table.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-q2-earnings-what-about-that-cash-and-cortana/

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Valve is a privately owned company, they have no shareholders and a hostile takeover can never happen. Valve's user base is up in a huge way after the PUBG boom, they are making crazy money as a company. I don't see Gabe selling out to Microsoft. He used to work for Microsoft before he left and created Valve.

I don't understand why would MS want to buy Valve, they are already the largest distributor of windows apps for gaming, they basically are working for Windows to be the best platform for gaming.

Valve is still investing a lot of money into breaking away from Microsoft with SteamOS and their Linux client. They have invested a lot into improving drivers on the Linux platform and API's like Vulkan and even linux development tools. With Microsoft talking about Windows S, and the possibility of dumping Win32/64 libraries for UWP in future versions of Windows, Valve really wants to cut that umbilical chord and push over to Linux.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
You better read the earnings report with Nadella s comments. It's definitely on the table.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-q2-earnings-what-about-that-cash-and-cortana/
I just read that. Amy hood didn't even deny it, she just says they'll make acquisition were they see fit.
As to the analyst question about the potential for a "large strategic deal," (EA/Valve/PUBG, cough, cough) Hood noted that Microsoft hasn't waited around for tax reform to make key acquisitions in the past.

"We made acquisitions when they made sense. We have used the capital markets and the debt market to fund those to make sure that we made the right investments to grow our business," she said.

"I am pleased obviously, to be able to access the cash more easily and not has to go through the debt market to be able to make these choices. Whether it's investment in ourselves, and the returns you've seen in this quarter in revenue growth, whether it's the acquisitions like LinkedIn that are performing better than we expected," she added.

For those pooh-poohing the possibility Microsoft might go for a huge gaming studio, Nadella's comments from yesterday's call are worth remembering: "Gaming also is a growth area for Azure. In other words, we have now increasing past services that we are going to reinforce on Azure and attract more game developers."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that article was half-speculation, half-insider sources about the fact Microsoft is looking at a big acquisition, with EA and Valve being two candidates. Nowhere it said they are actually buying those ASAP, nowhere it said there aren't other candidates (or buyouts already happening elsewhere). If, and I mean IF this will happen, it could be defined months, or even years from now. And again, this is only one of many options on the table.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
even worse, many in there thought ms buying valve would be a good thing.

This is something that is legitimately pissing me off tbh

Same thing with the Disneys acquisition of fox

Lets embrace monopolisation under giant corporate overlords so some nerds can get HL3 or xmen in the mcu

Who cares about the long-lasting consequences that are objectively horrid for everyone involved but these corporations

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that Valve has got to the point where I wouldn't even really care if this actually happened (even though it won't)?

Hey, we might even get some proper customer support out of it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's sad that Valve has got to the point where I wouldn't even really care if this actually happened (even though it won't)?

Hey, we might even get some proper customer support out of it.

I can't speak to the quality of it, but I think support is now outsourced entirely save for perhaps a small team that handles more technical matters. Valve's employee count has dropped from ~360 in October 2016 to ~300 today, its lowest since 2012, and the only rational explanation that comes to mind is that internal dedicated support staff were either made redundant or transferred. I imagine we would have heard something if those ~60 people were developers, such as when the AR team was let go in favour of doubling down on VR.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
how so? besides their GARBAGE store, what has ms done to make you feel that angry? I'm curious.

- With GFWL and the Windows Store, they are responsible for the worst PC gaming ecosystems ever
- Unable to fix the technical issues in these ecosystems
- Trying to charge for online gaming on PC and still charging for online gaming on Xbox
- Completely abandoning GFWL when they failed to monetize PC gamers with paid subscriptions
- Trying to push an always online DRM on console that would kill the used games market
- Pushing PC gaming into the locked down UWP ecosystem, thereby killing unlimited modding, free community content and tools like DsFix
- Pushing a €70 pricetag for AAA games on PC
- Deliberately limiting the amount of discounts in their stores and keeping the best discounts behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall

While Microsoft is doing a good job with Xbox One since they are being heavily outsold by PS4, I think it's better for all of us that Valve stays in control of Steam. If Microsoft would buy Steam, no doubt they would try to turn it into a UWP-driven console experience as well.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
- With GFWL and the Windows Store, they are responsible for the worst PC gaming ecosystems ever
- Trying to charge for online gaming on PC and still charging for online gaming on Xbox
- Completely abandoning GFWL when they failed to monetize PC gamers with paid subscriptions
- Trying to push an always online DRM on console that would kill the used games market
- Pushing PC gaming into the locked down UWP ecosystem, thereby killing unlimited modding, free community content and tools like DsFix
- Deliberately limiting the amount of discounts in their stores and keeping the best discounts behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall

While Microsoft is doing a good job with Xbox One since they are being heavily outsold by PS4, I think it's better for all of us that Valve stays in control of Steam. If Microsoft would buy Steam, no doubt they would try to turn it into a UWP-driven console experience as well.
half the shit you wrote was so old my old ass hairs grew an inch. I honestly believe you don't play on pc at all. if you do it's on a ps4 level netbook.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

to add to that, Microsoft has closed their music store last year and don't even allow you to download the songs you paid for anymore. It's a goddamn 5 years old store.
There is no reason whatsoever to trust MS. They have constantly pumped out shit stores and completely abandoned them eventually fucking over their consumers. Windows Store won't be any different.
dude the kids is talking bullshit.
No, he isn't, and much of their fuckery is literally present on the current state of their shitty store.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
half the shit you wrote was so old my old ass hairs grew an inch. I honestly believe you don't play on pc at all. if you do it's on a ps4 level netbook.

???

I don't know any long term PC player that thinks MS has done good things for the platform beyond OS-level stuff like Direct X.

MS has brought 0 positive change for PC games for quite a while, and with what they are pushing with UWP and their store that's not about to change.

They literally have the worst PC ecosystem of all the bigger players. Ea, Ubisoft, Blizzard, GOG all have better platforms.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
???

I don't know any long term PC player that thinks MS has done good things for the platform beyond OS-level stuff like Direct X.

MS has brought 0 positive change for PC games for quite a while, and with what they are pushing with UWP and their store that's not about to change.
And I never said they did. I just said he was full of shit with half the things he said. And I agreed that their store is garbage.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Except for the 4th point, every issue I've written is still relevant this generation.

Also, I'm a PC gamer since 1991, I currently own a GTX1070 + i7 8700k (+ several consoles/handhelds) and I've played more than 55 hours on my PC in the last 2 weeks according to my Steam profile. And that's without the many hours I spend on R6 Siege on uPlay each week.

Your toxic response was completely unnecessary, and because of that I will not discuss any further with you.

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This is something that is legitimately pissing me off tbh

Same thing with the Disneys acquisition of fox

Lets embrace monopolisation under giant corporate overlords so some nerds can get HL3 or xmen in the mcu

Who cares about the long-lasting consequences that are objectively horrid for everyone involved but these corporations

I, for one, look forward to our cyberpunk dystopian future where the big ten megacorps control everything.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how rich is Valve really? i don't know if MS could offer an amount of money large enough that Valve may be tempted to accept.
No idea. We know Gaben himself is a billionaire, so it's safe to assume Valve has a significant amount of cash in the bank.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
Except for the 4th point, every issue I've written is still relevant this generation.

Also, I'm a PC gamer since 1991, I currently own a GTX1070 + i7 8700k (+ several consoles/handhelds) and I've played more than 55 hours on my PC in the last 2 weeks according to my Steam profile. And that's without the many hours I spend on R6 Siege on uPlay each week.

Your toxic response was completely unnecessary, and because of that I will not discuss any further with you.
will you be playing

want a free gift card? sorry lol.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
to add to that, Microsoft has closed their music store last year and don't even allow you to download the songs you paid for anymore. It's a goddamn 5 years old store.
There is no reason whatsoever to trust MS. They have constantly pumped out shit stores and completely abandoned them eventually fucking over their consumers. Windows Store won't be any different.

No, he isn't, and much of their fuckery is literally present on the current state of their shitty store.
Microsoft gave people like 6 months notice they were closing the music store, and let you download your songs DRM free any time since then. Hardly "fucking over their consumers". They've also only done 1 store before, not really enough for the word "constantly" to be used.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
User has been banned (3 days): accuses member to be "full of shit", is incapable to actually engage with said member's arguments and continues to be hostile. History of similar behaviour.
You still havent told us why he is full of shit, however ironically you continue to be the one full of it, replying randomly and avoiding answering when confronted.
fuck are you talking about? HALF OR MORE of the shit he said isn't true now. you ever ms store bro?

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
The news wasn't that Microsoft was buying anyone, the news was that Microsoft looking to buy. Two different statements.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how rich is Valve really? i don't know if MS could offer an amount of money large enough that Valve may be tempted to accept.

Valve is a private company so the only people who know how much money Valve has in the bank are the Valve shareholders and a few people at the IRS.

Microsoft has more than enough money to buy Valve if it were a normal company, but since it's a private company they can't buy Valve if the shareholders aren't interested in selling. And Gabe Newell doesn't really seem to like modern Microsoft.