• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I never bought into this particular aspect of the rumor, seems more like a WANT from MS rather than a legit possibility. Also was this a response to you?? Or was this someone else.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
MS is looking into prospects of potentially buying companies x y and z makes a shit headline because internally talking about it as a potential thing doesn't mean they contacted companies x y and z at all, hence making the entire original topic fluff.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
You'd have to be pretty dumb to think "Microsoft is investigating this possibility" means "THE CHECK HAS CLEARED THEY GOIN IN"

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
People actually believing that Microsoft would buy Valve Lmao
If they were publicly trading, they could easily try to perform a hostile takeover - beyond that, as a privately rub company, there is no way Valve is getting sold and there is no way Gabe is giving up his billions for Microsoft of all corporations.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The community is shaken"?

I don't know why, but that instills mighty chuckles for me.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
he didnt say no

he just said he wasnt aware

He is the owner of valve and valve is a privately held company which makes him the sole owner. If there had been any offers or moves made by MS he would know.

I am baffled by how many people bought into these rumors of Balve and/or EA being acquired. Y'all are letting your own biases cloud your judgement if you think these things are at all likely to occur.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here we will all act like this is common knowledge, seemingly forgetting there was a 90+ page thread on this nonsense that was full of people who thought this was a real possibility.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
He is the owner of valve and valve is a privately held company which makes him the sole owner. If there had been any offers or moves made by MS he would know.

I am baffled by how many people bought into these rumors of Balve and/or EA being acquired. Y'all are letting your own biases cloud your judgement if you think these things are at all likely to occur.

I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything, but private companies still have shareholders... They are just harder to define. I would be hesitant to call Gabe the sole owner, but he is certainly the individual with the most power.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like he is interested, please call. How many billions, a few more......okay.

Steam doesn't suit Microsoft, they would rename it SteamXbox, upgrade the client with new features, hurrah, make Half Life 3, hurrah.

Seriously, how would Microsoft even meld Steam into Windows etc. Doesn't work.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Here we will all act like this is common knowledge, seemingly forgetting there was a 90+ page thread on this nonsense that was full of people who thought this was a real possibility.

This is a message board about gaming. Why wouldn't we discuss a rumor like this, and given the possibilities and potential fallout, why wouldn't that discussion be considerable?

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Does anyone know how rich is Valve really? i don't know if MS could offer an amount of money large enough that Valve may be tempted to accept.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a message board about gaming. Why wouldn't we discuss a rumor like this, and given the possibilities and potential fallout, why wouldn't that discussion be considerable?

Anyone with an ounce of sense and knowledge about Valve as a company knew the part about MS buying Valve was complete BS and not worth discussing. It was never anything more than pure fanboy fantasy. We know no one can buy Valve unless Gabe chooses to sell, and he hates MS. It was a very easy thing to shoot down.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Valve and Gabe is somewhat like Lucasarts and Lucas, when the time comes to move on he will reach out to someone and that will be it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with an ounce of sense and knowledge about Valve as a company knew the part about MS buying Valve was complete BS and not worth discussing. It was never anything more than pure fanboy fantasy. We know no one can buy Valve unless Gabe chooses to sell, and he hates MS. It was a very easy thing to shoot down.

Right, but that wasn't the entirety of the thread.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
At least sell the Half Life franchise for fuck sake.

I rather HL crash and burn with Valve or see a return with them than farmed out for perpetual sequels till its wasted away and they either reboot / make some other franchise. There are plenty of franchises and companies you can get that from.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he's not saying it didn't happen. Just that he hasn't heard about it.

=P

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The real news is valve acknowledging its community
The truth lol

If I was Microsoft I'd buy valve just for the steam integration factor alone, I mean there's a lot of other things I would also do but then again I have no real business experience and would probably end up hurting profits more than help.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I rather HL crash and burn with Valve or see a return with them than farmed out for perpetual sequels till its wasted away and they either reboot / make some other franchise. There are plenty of franchises and companies you can get that from.

That's silly.

We have seen what one generation of developers did with Half Life.

Let's see what a new generation can do. The IP to me is like SW, or Batman. Let different guys have a go.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I imagine Valve and Gabe is somewhat like Lucasarts and Lucas, when the time comes to move on he will reach out to someone and that will be it.

I suspect Gabe will hold on to his majority stake in Valve ("more than half", which is assumed to mean 51%) well into retirement, but when he inevitably does cash out, it's more likely he'll do so internally, similar to Mike Harrington all those years ago. Selling to a third party would rob Valve of the autonomy upon which it was built and adversely impact company culture.

Last edited: