• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I've heard there might have been some kind of layoff or restructuring of some kind at Turn10, too. No idea on the size of that though. I'd imagine it was extremely minor or it'd be all over the place.

Hope everyone hit at Inside Xbox and Mixer land on their feet and find a new gig soon.

I was told that Forza reached 10 millions players. Why would Turn10 lay off people?

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Julia Hardy isn't employed by Xbox like Jeff or Graeme. She's completely freelance and has other gigs related to gaming with places like the BBC.

Which probably makes more sense to them financially. Don't need to pay someone a yearly salary if freelancers can do it just as well.

Sucks for them, but that's the reality.

And also, a lot of the Xbox mixer shows don't have very high viewer count other than the official Xbox ones is like "Inside Xbox" which is once a month. The other shows don't. So If you have to pay these people let's say 50,000$ a year for what, maybe 100 viewers a nite, is that worth it for them?

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's a real shame and I hope these highly talented individuals land on their feet again quickly.

But the amount of presenters on Inside Xbox was ridiculous. Just 1 or 2 would be fine but we've had episodes with like 5 presenters! It was such a bloated show.

Yeah it did seem a bit bloated with all the presenters on Inside Xbox, so it's no surprise that they had to dial it back a bit. I personally think it would be best if they had a team of two, a man and a woman and then the Major Nelson cameos on top of that. Maybe also one in "the field".

But it did seem like there were a lot of presenters on Inside Xbox and no one was really the "face/host" of the show. With so many different presenters you sometimes lack a bit of personality. Kinda like the reason why you only have one late night host on the same show and not 5...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The messaging on this content was pretty bad during this gen. I don't think I saw a single piece of Inside Xbox content, and Mixer itself is a bit unnecessary. As always, layoffs blow, but Microsoft should do a better job of making this content available in a way where at its core it is visible and worthwhile.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They got rid of the wrong people in my personal opinion. I'll just leave it at that.

I've said it before but Microsoft promotes the wrong people in their upper management positions/marketing teams. Aka Shannon Loftis is a prime example. She should have been canned years ago, yet...she's now in charge of their Age of Empire's division.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
cKYmHhC.png

Ironically enough, their UK counterpart is a lot better in my opinion and also cheaper to run.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I had saw that Austin was let go earlier this week due to restructuring but I didn't expect the they were gutting the rest of the team. Hopefully everyone finds something new soon.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The messaging on this content was pretty bad during this gen. I don't think I saw a single piece of Inside Xbox content, and Mixer itself is a bit unnecessary. As always, layoffs blow, but Microsoft should do a better job of making this content available in a way where at its core it is visible and worthwhile.

Inside Xbox at E3 was loads better than last year. It was a well paced show with a lot of new information (Halo, SoT, back compat, etc.) and they had twice the viewers they had last year.

Don't understand why Mixer is unnecessary. It's a good thing Twitch has some competition in my opinion.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is Inside Xbox dead now?

Well.... With the announcement of no more BC games or no more BCX or BC Original games there is no reason, for me at least, to watch the show anymore anyway. That was the main reason. 😅

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Can we all acknowledge the drive by "hope they all land on their feet" as the gaming equivalent of "thoughts and prayers"?

Not even close. We have no control over layoffs.

The people saying "thoughts and prayers" could at least try some gun control legislation.

If Satya Nadella was the one saying "I hope they all land on their feet," then you'd have something.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Is Inside Xbox dead now?

Well.... With the announcement of no more BC games or no more BCX or BC Original games there is no reason, for me at least, to watch the show anymore anyway. That was the main reason. 😅

Most of the presenters of Inside Xbox are still around. Major Nelson, Graeme Boyd, Jeff Rubenstein and occasionally Tina Summerford and Julia Hardy.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yahoo Finance signalled that this was something that happened prior to E3

While layoffs of any sort in any department are bound to be devastating, the positions that have been affected appear to be related to the original content teams handling Inside Xbox and, as of today, Mixer. The Inside Xbox layoffs quietly happened prior to E3.
The cuts at Inside Xbox, which is the Xbox brand's live news show, have removed internal broadcasters, writers, and producers. It would appear that Microsoft is digging deep into removing internal content creation, which has a tendency to be expensive. Prior to this year's E3, Inside Xbox hadn't produced anything in the written archives since April 2019 and during E3, unlike previous years, there was only a single post.

Given the slow rollout, these layoffs and related strategy shift seem to have been brewing for some time now.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
This rings so true of my work which chooses to rely on a bunch of old boys to market our software and wonder why we're not hitting engagement with millennials.
This is IMHO is the main reason Xbox is having an image issue. They want to be in your face with shows and social media but when they are in your face they use people who don't speak to the cool fast pace nature of video games. They need to work that out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah it did seem a bit bloated with all the presenters on Inside Xbox, so it's no surprise that they had to dial it back a bit. I personally think it would be best if they had a team of two, a man and a woman and then the Major Nelson cameos on top of that. Maybe also one in "the field".

But it did seem like there were a lot of presenters on Inside Xbox and no one was really the "face/host" of the show. With so many different presenters you sometimes lack a bit of personality. Kinda like the reason why you only have one late night host on the same show and not 5...
Agree completely.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Well you guys got what you wanted. Looks like IX is going to be a prerecorded video ie Direct style.
Because I too love linked together youtube playlists.

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before but Microsoft promotes the wrong people in their upper management positions/marketing teams. Aka Shannon Loftis is a prime example. She should have been canned years ago, yet...she's now in charge of their Age of Empire's division.
Please give examples as to what she has done wrong to get this label by you? Please I'm begging for receipts

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Really classy comment to make in a thread about people losing their jobs.

That sucks of course, but I don't have to add that on each posting as a footnote, we know that.

What I meant was, I wouldn't be surprised if that was also the end of Inside Xbox, cause the main appeal of that show, for me, is gone now, and the show kinda sucked most of the time, it would make sense.

But yeah, totally sucks for them, specially right after E3.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well you guys got what you wanted. Looks like IX is going to be a prerecorded video ie Direct style.
Because I too love linked together youtube playlists.

Yeah... I dislike the Direct style video's. I like interviews, studio visits, etc.

Like, that Robin Beanland section around SoT's launch was great

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
That sucks of course, but I don't have to add that on each posting as a footnote, we know that.

What I meant was, I wouldn't be surprised if that was also the end of Inside Xbox, cause the main appeal of that show, for me, is gone now, and the show kinda sucked most of the time, it would make sense.

But yeah, totally sucks for them, specially right after E3.
Yeah I mean most of the show was game pass and BC announcements with a diff colored controller stuck in there. It was a cool idea, but in the age of expertly cut Nintendo direct vids, unnecessary. Also, this week with Xbox is another show that treads on inside Xbox. Just a lot of unnecessary content out there. They could also redirect some interviews to Major Nelson podcast

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Please give examples as to what she has done wrong to get this label by you? Please I'm begging for receipts

Considering she was involved with First Party Publishing during her tenture in 2017 and defended their lackluster output of robust AAA first party games and making statements of how they are essentially afraid of taking risks with big budget AAA single player games and using the same spin tactics that ole Philly still uses today.."just wait till next year". The proof is in the pudding, she did nothing for core gamers. But sure as all hellfire she'll tout Super Lucky's Tale as the best thing since sliced bread.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering she was involved with First Party Publishing during her tenture in 2017 and defended their lackluster output of robust AAA first party games and making statements of how they are essentially afraid of taking risks with big budget AAA single player games and using the same spin tactics that ole Philly still uses today.."just wait till next year". The proof is in the pudding, she did nothing for core gamers. But sure as all hellfire she'll tout Super Lucky's Tale as the best thing since sliced bread.
So your mad at her for doing her job and defending what games they have. I'm not sure I've seen a pr person down the products they have. Makes sense right. And you also know that she has a budget she has to work with and still gets her directives from Phil. It looks like the person who you actually have a problem with is Phil Spencer and not her.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Inside Xbox was a poorly conceived show. Way too overproduced and didn't respect the audience's time. It felt like a show stuck in the G4 era.

Just make Nintendo Direct style videos and cut away all the bloat.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah I mean most of the show was game pass and BC announcements with a diff colored controller stuck in there. It was a cool idea, but in the age of expertly cut Nintendo direct vids, unnecessary. Also, this week with Xbox is another show that treads on inside Xbox. Just a lot of unnecessary content out there. They could also redirect some interviews to Major Nelson podcast

We've actually had a lot of charming and interesting in-depth interviews on Inside Xbox. I'll miss those things if they are taking the Direct approach.

And I'm sure their Inside Xbox episodes could be better paced and better filled with content now that they have way more studios.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This wasn't some quick thing, Microsoft eliminated the positions but has kept people on since May, trying to find them other positions in the company. Sounds like they're going to outsource the media creation, use guys like Larry paired with influencers.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So your mad at her for doing her job and defending what games they have. I'm not sure I've seen a pr person down the products they have. Makes sense right. And you also know that she has a budget she has to work with and still gets her directives from Phil. It looks like the person who you actually have a problem with is Phil Spencer and not her.

Whether or not she was handcuffed at her position is immaterial, If you suck at your job then you should be in the crosshairs. Same goes to ole Philly in which I am more in your camp that he should be held accountable all the same.

Oct 26, 2017
considering the average viewership on these im not that surprised. Still, they couldve trasnitioned them and their positions to something better.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Is Inside Xbox dead now?

Wait, they are not adding any more games to the BC program? Serious?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Without looking back for the article you could be right in the sense Forza 7 overhaul could be this year and Forza 8 for Scarlett launch as the roadmap didnt have a Forza Horizon until 2021

Turn10 has had a live team building up Forza 7 and they had a massive update last year that retooled quite a bit of the game from it's launch in 2017. They continue to add new content beyond just cars in a fairly regular cadence.

Horizon 4 getting the Lego expansion is the largest piece of Forza this year and leads into FM8 being announced alongside the reveal of Project Scarlett.

The Forza Motorsport team is essentially getting a similar dev schedule to 343i where they can have extra time to build out the tools/engine they need to deliver the experience they want without compromise.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
This is not the guys that do the monthly,or close to it,Inside Xbox show with Major Nelson though...its a side show that has like 75 viewers every week on Mixer...the other Inside gang,that where at E3 and all did not get laid off I don't think...still sucks though but no one(well 75 people max) was watching that weekly show on Mixer...

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mixer hasn't been gaining traction like they hoped. I think they will be reinventing it again for next gen releases (copying some of stadia) features