• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This sucks man, I really worry about the future of the gaming industry with all these layoffs. I hope everyone lands a good and stable job.

However, I also wonder what this means for SMITE? SMITE cut a deal with Mixer to have their Smite Pro League & Paladins Pro League exclusively streamed on Mixer. I wonder if this is gonna have any effect or bring them back to Twitch. The viewership is highly different number wise (much lower on Mixer) plus it ruins the ability for SMITE streamers to stream over the pro matches + commentate the matches themselves.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I'm assuming everyone tagged in that tweet is okay with someone else telling the world you lost your job....?

edit:
looks like they are

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Dang not Rukari, he had some good interviews. I don't think they'll abandon Mixer unless they cut a deal with Amazon. There are still some features they need to add to bring it in line with Twitch and if they bribe some of the bigger Twitch streamers to switch over for a set period of time or at least for big game launches they'll be off to a good start for next gen.

Edit: Are there going to be any replacements? They lost a good chunk of their younger hosts and I don't see everyone being receptive to Major Nelson in the lead up to the Scarlett launch if he's the only host. Good luck to those that were laid off.

Last edited:

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Inside Xbox is such an useless show. Not this people's fault though. The format was terrible, too long, there were never relevant things announced ... they just kept promoting more and more games that will sell better on PS4. Boring interviews, etc.

I imagine Austin at Nintendo. I really hope they put their eyes on him, would be a great addition to the staff.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Wish Microsoft could find them other work at Microsoft. Even if it isn't the same department I feel like there's open spots they would be able to fit into.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard there might have been some kind of layoff or restructuring of some kind at Turn10, too. No idea on the size of that though. I'd imagine it was extremely minor or it'd be all over the place.

Hope everyone hit at Inside Xbox and Mixer land on their feet and find a new gig soon.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was unexpected and I'm saddened to hear it. I hope they all land on their feet.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Would make sense to integrate mixer into their new Xbox PC app + future streaming service.

Like Stadia.

Oct 28, 2017
Guess it's sorta a good thing. Trimming the fat heading into next gen to hopefully make scarlet the best it can be.

Wonder if Microsoft will make their own direct/state of play to replace inside Xbox. Short, sweet, direct to the point.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
To build an empire, you need to break a few eggs. Our benevolent leader must do what is necessary to secure Microsoft's reign.

Phil%2BSpencer.jpg

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sad news anytime it happens. Though I have to say this did introduce me to 'funemployment.'

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks man, I really worry about the future of the gaming industry with all these layoffs. I hope everyone lands a good and stable job.

However, I also wonder what this means for SMITE? SMITE cut a deal with Mixer to have their Smite Pro League & Paladins Pro League exclusively streamed on Mixer. I wonder if this is gonna have any effect or bring them back to Twitch. The viewership is highly different number wise (much lower on Mixer) plus it ruins the ability for SMITE streamers to stream over the pro matches + commentate the matches themselves.

These are people associated with Microsoft's mixer content not the service

They also did a lot more than mixer stuff. Rukari was great — by far one of the better Xbox personalities — hope he lands on his feet

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Larry Hryb sleeping comfortably tonight.

But seriously, this sucks. Layoffs are never fun and the frequency of them in the games industry keeps me from ever wanting to return. Hope everyone finds a new opportunity outside of the games industry which treats workers like garbage slightly more than others.

Last edited:

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inside Xbox is such an useless show. Not this people's fault though. The format was terrible, too long, there were never relevant things announced ... they just kept promoting more and more games that will sell better on PS4. Boring interviews, etc.

I imagine Austin at Nintendo. I really hope they put their eyes on him, would be a great addition to the staff.
It sucks for those people but I agree that Inside Xbox was a useless show for the most part. It never really had any noteworthy announcements and they ran far too long. I don't know if they plan to still do them with Major Nelson and Jeff but if they do maybe they are changing how they are run.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was odd Julia Hardy was hosting at the EA E3 event and not at Xbox's. I assume that's what happened. Seems kind of odd considering they seemed to be doubling down on Inside Xbox but at the same time maybe having like 6 hosts was a little overkill.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

It sucks for those people but I agree that Inside Xbox was a useless show for the most part. It never really had any noteworthy announcements and they ran far too long. I don't know if they plan to still do them with Major Nelson and Jeff but if they do maybe they are changing how they are run.

Yeah, I agree with these 2. They were unnecessarily long with content they could of released in a short 5/10 minute video. Plus, now that the BC team is not releasing anymore titles, that throws one section of the content out of what they would've shown/announced.

I am sorry they got laid off though, that is unfortunate. Shame they couldn't be relocated to another sector.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was odd Julia Hardy was hosting at the EA E3 event and not at Xbox's. I assume that's what happened. Seems kind of odd considering they seemed to be doubling down on Inside Xbox but at the same time maybe having like 6 hosts was a little overkill.

More likely she was on a freelance contract, but yeah - it wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
She was hosting the Inside Xbox show at E3 the day after the Briefing tho.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
That's really sucks. I liked all of their hosts.

I guess now if Inside Xbox survives it'll just be Graeme and Major Nelson.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It's not much better, because it goes against everything that has been heard about the studio.

I mean, a place can have a layoff while still hiring for other positions. Look at what happened with Activision/Blizzard earlier this year.

Regardless, people losing their job sucks. This shit is too common in the gaming industry and it immediately makes my mind jump to a layoff event when I hear of anyone losing their job in the industry.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, a place can have a layoff while still hiring for other positions. Look at what happened with Activision/Blizzard earlier this year.

Regardless, people losing their job sucks. This shit is too common in the gaming industry and it immediately makes my mind jump to a layoff event when I hear of anyone losing their job in the industry.
So this person you know told you there were layoffs or restructuring? How do they not know?