• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I guess with that, you can view it as a tit for tat, but in the context of Bethesda games never coming to a Playstation 5, well, neither is FF7R on Xbox, and who knows how similar the Forspoken, FF16, and FF Origin contracts are to FF7R, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if those are all the same too.

I suppose a more accurate statement would be directing that towards those who only game on Xbox consoles.
With SE it's all but guaranteed those other titles will appear on other platforms. Unless Sony has officially had a hand with the game itself like Bloodborne, chances are it will always appear on anothe platform down the line.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
I agree that I don't like people cheering Sony jumping in the acquisition or timed exclusive game, but buying an entire publisher and getting a timed exclusive are just not comparable, in my opinion.
I agree, time exclusive is like spend money just to block other people from playing, acquisition means actual investment, maintain and responsibility, definitely not compareble.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I agree, time exclusive is like spend money just to block other people from playing, acquisition means actual investment, maintain and responsibility, definitely not compareble.

Sigh. I already said I regret jumping into this, please don't rope me back into it :)

Last edited:

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
With SE it's all but guaranteed those other titles will appear on other platforms.
I don't know about that honestly.

One of the most reputable Square leakers on this site made a deliberate point to say a PC version of FF7R is planned but not an Xbox version.

The only reason I can see that being the case, is that it's being held hostage in hopes that Microsoft approaches them for a gamepass check for it, but as it stands, I don't see much reason to be optimistic.

Happy to be wrong, and either way, I'm going to probably buy a PS5 once they're available specifically for JRPGs, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it bums me out. I'm really enjoying the Xbox ecosystem and if possible I'd like to play as of the games I want to play there.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that honestly.

One of the most reputable Square leakers on this site made a deliberate point to say a PC version of FF7R is planned but not an Xbox version.

The only reason I can see that being the case, is that it's being held hostage in hopes that Microsoft approaches them for a gamepass check for it, but as it stands, I don't see much reason to be optimistic.

Happy to be wrong, and either way, I'm going to probably buy a PS5 once they're available specifically for JRPGs, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it bums me out. I'm really enjoying the Xbox ecosystem and if possible I'd like to play as of the games I want to play there.
With SE you just have to look historically. FF7-12 all appeared as multiplats down the line. Granted, some of them literally took a decade but still.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I mean frankly, I view all of this similarly in that ultimately, one way or another, the end goal is to make one platform more attractive then the other, and make you buy one over the other.

What your argument implies is that Sony wouldn't buy a publisher if it could, when Sony is ultimately a business and it would in a heartbeat if it had the money/the opportunity presented itself.
Considering that they can I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. They have enough cash on hand to buy a bunch of publishers several times over ($44b if I remember right), and cash isn't the only way to purchase another business, but they haven't.

Let me ask you a question, if your not happy with me comparing what you view as an apples and oranges comparison.

Would you rather wait 3 months on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 or would you rather wait what feels like an eternity for Square Enix JRPGs that have an open possibility to never come to your platform of choice?

Would you rather wait 6 months on Yakuza 7's next gen patch or would you rather wait 18 months on FF16?

Because frankly, unless the end argument your going to make is "this is all business, and it just is what it is" then speaking for myself as an Xbox owner it sounds very nice to be able to wait 3 months to play a timed exclusive your excited for compared to what I'm about to do in about 6-8 months time, which is buy a Playstation 5 for those Final Fantasy games and buy a system that I'm going to probably only use a handful of times throughout this generation.
These questions are pointless, because again, they're irrelevant to the crux of the discussion. You're literally just trying to turn this into a console warring debate. I'm saying that, regardless of platforms, with the big corporation names stripped away and based purely on actions taken, a timed exclusive is not the same thing as purchasing a publishing house. And to act like it is, and to go as far as saying that it's a "giant fuck you" or some kind of monopoly requires a deep lack of perspective to arrive at said conclusion.

However, on a purely conversational note and not relating to the above, I can't really answer these questions because I'm not actually interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 or Yakuza 7 (tried the Judgment Remaster and I'm not sure the games are for me).

However, it did take 4 years before Mass Effect 1 ended up on PS3 and I didn't really mind waiting. Gave it a spin when it came out, was alright. Bit overrated, would have been disappointed if I bought a console for it. If a game is only on a platform I don't have much interest in buying then it's just, well, whatever. Will play it if it comes out on something I own, if not then c'est la vie.

For what it's worth, I'm not someone angry over the Bethesda acquisition, I have a PC so I play pretty much anything I want to except Nintendo games, I just like calling out people saying stupid things.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
xboxmeme.jpg

It's funny but even though I enjoy those games they did not reach major success. I can see why Rare wants to try new games.
Seems to me I can buy a PC and play it though. Same goes the other way for Xbox Bethesda exclusives.

Yes, PC wins and in about 8 years we might get The Last of Us on it. Point is Sony is not going to prioritize that platform like Microsoft will.

Well this is one hell of a strawman if I do say so myself. I applaud you sir for completely evading the point at hand which is:

Comparing the purchase of Bethesda to timed exclusives is a disingenuous false equivalency.
Like, it's not even a case of Sony vs MS up in here. MS have had timed exclusives themselves, but you wouldn't consider comparing The Medium to the Bethesda purchase, right? Octopath Traveller? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2? The Falconeer? Yakuza Like a Dragon? Warhammer 40K Darktide? Would you compare any of those games to the purchase of Bethesda?

Even better, would those games be on PS5 at launch if Sony allowed access to Game Pass?

What's disengenuous is thinking all of those years Sony courting third party hasn't had greater impact than Microsoft buying a publisher. Heck even now the PS5 is outselling the Series Xbox. It would probably take 3 more major publishers before things begin to favor Xbox. Timed exclusives used to be 6 months, now Sony is compelled to do 1 year or even longer just to make it even less desireable to play the games anywhere else.

Timed exclusives work best on the dominant platform. This is why it's kind of pointless doing them on Xbox now and buying your own IP's is much more rewarding. Sony also does this, they own Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword and many other IP's to keep them from coming to other systems.

Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto... Do this enough times and guess what happens? You end up having the lions share of consumers and the lions share of content.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thats fine, but people arguing that those franchises cant continue because the original developers arent there are just saying nonsense
Well if they think they can't do it justice, they'll just further sully the franchise. It's not like they didn't try before. Microsoft doesn't see the value of doing it now or they would've tried again. Who knows at this point.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, think they probably will.

Oh well, I'm kinda tired of being bothered by these, as they aren't stopping. Might as well try to see the positives.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that they can I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. They have enough cash on hand to buy a bunch of publishers several times over ($44b if I remember right), and cash isn't the only way to purchase another business, but they haven't.

They haven't needed to because for so long, they had the clout to get third party exclusives on the cheap, and that's only going to become more and more expensive as Microsoft inflates the market with big tech money, to the point where Sony may eventually prefer to keep the money in house and invest in its own studios. Sony was never willing to buy studios because they never thought they'd be up against a Microsoft willing to shell out to this extent.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
"I can't wait for the meltdowns LOLOL"

People are weird. Anyways I have all consoles for the reason of not missing any games I want to play so doesn't bother me.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Probably almost no one who worked on those games still works at Rare.

Gregg Mayles, the co-creator and creative director of Banjo, was the game director on Sea of Thieves and is still with Rare. His brother, the other co-creator of Banjo, co-founded Playtonic and made Yooka-Laylee.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. Does Sony have some stake in Resetera?

Depending on when or who you ask, this place is so biased against this or that company and the fanboys peepo run cry to their own discord or start their own website or some shit. It's funny tbh.

"I can't wait for the meltdowns LOLOL"

People are weird. Anyways I have all consoles for the reason of not missing any games I want to play so doesn't bother me.

Yep, it's why I don't see any point in taking part of such discussions anymore. People are kidding themselves if they wanna think these threads aren't full of "subtle" cringe console warrior shit.

Last edited:

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
It wasn't really until they got Bethesda that it mattered. Now all of the sudden there is "concern" because Playstation owners won't get their games. Throughout history Sony has been doing the same thing, putting pressure on Nintendo and Xbox by courting third party publishers in a tactical manner so that we are in a situation where Playstation becomes the default platform. The only way to change that is by taking drastic measures and some don't like it because they want to remain with Playstation. Oh well I say because why can't Xbox or Nintendo be the default system? Why can't people accept Playstation being the least seller for once? It's not like Nintendo stopped making their own 1st party games when they got outsold with the Gamecube or Wii U.

Nobody wants a monopoly situation where they are the only publisher of games but we are not even close to this being a reality. PS4 had more than 3,000 games. Gamecube had 653 so let's put things into perspective shall we? The PS5 will have a ton of games.
It's funny when people talk about it like only Sony are guilty of pressuring or moneyhatting third parties. Don't you remember Microsoft's timed exclusivity deals for Bioshock and GTA IV's expansion packs? That's literally where the moneyhatting started.

Do timed exclusives suck? Of course they do. But don't try to use that to justify why Microsoft has to buy major publishers (and swathes of IP), especially when Microsoft has been moneyhatting from the beginning.

The truth is Microsoft has twice as many studios as the main competition and probably the same number as both Sony and Nintendo combined. So it's very strange to see people start salivating over which new acquisition they'll make next.

At some point you've got to stop and just focus on making great games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny when people talk about it like only Sony are guilty of pressuring or moneyhatting third parties. Don't you remember Microsoft's timed exclusivity deals for Bioshock and GTA IV's expansion packs? That's literally where the moneyhatting started.

Do timed exclusives suck? Of course they do. But don't try to use that to justify why Microsoft has to buy major publishers (and swathes of IP), especially when Microsoft has been moneyhatting from the beginning.

The truth is Microsoft has twice as many studios as the main competition and probably the same number as both Sony and Nintendo combined. So it's very strange to see people start salivating over which new acquisition they'll make next.

At some point you've got to stop and just focus on making great games.

It's really not though. Sony quite famously moneyhatted Tomb Raider 2 to be exclusive to PlayStation, and there's probably tons of examples that predate that.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
The idea that moneyhatting only started with Microsoft is complete and utter drivel. Sony were incredibly aggressive when they entered the market but Era loves its narrative that Sony got to the top through sheer hard work and building studios up from scratch while Microsoft has to buy their way to success.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not though. Sony quite famously moneyhatted Tomb Raider 2 to be exclusive to PlayStation, and there's probably tons of examples that predate that.

Can't remember any moneyhat stories pre-PS1, but Nintendo did demand that if devs/publishers wanted to publish games for NES, they were not allowed to publish on any other platforms (IIRC they continued that policy on the SNES, at least for a time).

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Can you give more examples? The Tomb Raider exclusivity and Final Fantasy exclusivity are the biggest ones I know of that predate Xbox but AFAIK that was due to the power of the hardware. Similar to how Morrowind was exclusive to Xbox purely because it was the only console capable of running it.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
The idea that moneyhatting only started with Microsoft is complete and utter drivel. Sony were incredibly aggressive when they entered the market but Era loves its narrative that Sony got to the top through sheer hard work and building studios up from scratch while Microsoft has to buy their way to success.
Did I say that? No. I responded to someone who accused one side of moneyhatting while conveniently leaving out the other.

My point is there comes a point when you have enough studios where you can be a fierce competitor, so you just need to hunker down to build some great games. I'm sure Microsoft realises that but there are some people on here who really get a thrill out of companies buying other companies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you give more examples? The Tomb Raider exclusivity and Final Fantasy exclusivity are the biggest ones I know of that predate Xbox but AFAIK that was due to the power of the hardware. Similar to how Morrowind was exclusive to Xbox purely because it was the only console capable of running it.

They did cite technical reasons but it was obviously nonsense(for Tomb Raider):

Core Design

Original home of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. Discover more about the company and the games developed by Core Design.

Even with Final Fantasy we have people who were working at Squaresoft at the time talking about the fact that Sony waived the licensing fees for them(which is basically a moneyhat).

I'm fairly sure Soul Calibur 3 being PS2 only after Soul Calibur 2 was on all three systems was a moneyhat.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
Did I say that? No. I responded to someone who accused one side of moneyhatting while conveniently leaving out the other.

My point is there comes a point when you have enough studios where you can be a fierce competitor, so you just need to hunker down to build some great games. I'm sure Microsoft realises that but there are some people on here who really get a thrill out of companies buying other companies.
Acquiring new studios does not stop the existing studios making games. Both things are mutually exclusive.

If MS wants to acquire a studio and invest money into it, allowing it the time/money/security to make the best games they can then what is the issue? Its not like they are buying studios and locking them away, never to create a gane again.

Look at Psychonauts 2, elements added into the game that wouldn't have existed if not for MS acquiring them.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Acquiring new studios does not stop the existing studios making games. Both things are mutually exclusive.

If MS wants to acquire a studio and invest money into it, allowing it the time/money/security to make the best games they can then what is the issue? Its not like they are buying studios and locking them away, never to create a gane again.

Look at Psychonauts 2, elements added into the game that wouldn't have existed if not for MS acquiring them.
100% agree with this part. Nothing wrong with giving developers security. We just need to see results from the multiple acquisitions that have happened.

Also great name haha. I had no idea you could add spaces 🤦‍♂️

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

You should realize that that's the regular model. Make 2 or 3 AAA game releases a year and market the hell out of them to sell consoles.

Microsoft isn't planning on following this cadence because they have to provide a stream of content for GamePass. Currently, they have to pay third parties a lot of money for supplementary Gamepass content.

Take H1 2021. They've spent tens of millions of dollars to secure MLB and Outriders for Gamepass day one. You think they don't want to plough this Money into their own content?

B4D1E

Nov 11, 2017
To add to the rumor, some "insiders" tweeted the number 27 this morning.... I wonder what it means?