• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/just-companies/list/#tab:rank

Rated by Forbes based on criteria selected by a survey of 81,000 people, the companies are weighed in terms of items such as worker compensation, treatment of customers and their data, product quality, environmental impact, community outreach, ethical and diverse leadership, and creation of job opportunities.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-beats-google-amazon-and-apple-once-again-in-new-forbes-rating/

Not a lot major gaming companies in the top 100 it seems. Nvidia is at #6. The top 5 further consists of:
2. Intel
3. Alphabet (Google)
4. Texas Instruments
5. IBM

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They are a fantastic model for what a huge company can be. They've been topping or close to it the social responsibility charts for a while.

An example to everyone else out there.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, i know some people who work or have worked for them and by all accounts they seem to be a great employer.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/just-companies/list/#tab:rank

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-beats-google-amazon-and-apple-once-again-in-new-forbes-rating/

Not a lot major gaming companies in the top 100 it seems. Nvidia is at #6. The top 5 further consists of:
2. Intel
3. Alphabet (Google)
4. Texas Instruments
5. IBM

I don't really get it - didn't we have this case of gross sexual harrasment in Google recently, where thousands of employees walked out in protest? Also, in what universe is Google a good example of customers' data treatment? How can they be number 3?

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really get it - didn't we have this case of gross sexual harrasment in Google recently, where thousands of employees walked out in protest? Also, in what universe is Google a good example of customers' data treatment? How can they be number 3?

The criteria were made by survey, but Forbes picked the top 100 by themselves. Not very transparent, it seems..

Nov 8, 2017
Microsoft have certainly come a long way from the company that tried to destroy the web and other open standards in the 90's/00's. That said, I still don't really trust Forbes, especially on anything concerning Microsoft.

Also, in what universe is Google a good example of customers' data treatment?
Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't heard of any issues with regards to Google's treatment of customer data? Have there been issues with this?

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
operasnapshot_2018-12txfdu.png

operasnapshot_2018-123ncbu.png

operasnapshot_2018-126gf4m.png

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
If only they would also consider their workers outside US 🤔🤔🤔

Oct 27, 2017
I worked in the past for a company they bought, albeit not them directly, but I had no complaints about them as a corporate overlord tbh.

I think Nadella is a genuinely decent guy as well.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Microsoft have certainly come a long way from the company that tried to destroy the web and other open standards in the 90's/00's. That said, I still don't really trust Forbes, especially on anything concerning Microsoft.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't heard of any issues with regards to Google's treatment of customer data? Have there been issues with this?

No specific issues that I know of, but their main source of revenue is gathering and monetizing user data for targeted ads. I'm not saying they are Facebook, but they often walk a thin line between privacy and profit. If one of the criteria is "treatment of user data", then I find the list odd. I wouldn't say Google is worst out there - but top 3? Come on.

Good for Microsoft, btw. They sure did change in the past few years. And Nadella seems like a cool person, from what I've seen.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of that story from Peter Molyneux where he decided to leave Lionhead when someone had the audacity to come and give him a chair that would be orthopaedic.

How dare they.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get it - didn't we have this case of gross sexual harrasment in Google recently, where thousands of employees walked out in protest?

You can look at that in two ways. One is that the management at Google is just as bad on sexual harassment issues as most other companies we have seen in the MeToo era. The other is that the employees organizing a grassroots walkout over it and winning concessions is good, and it's something we haven't seen much of in incidents at other companies.

Something similar happened when the DoD was partnering with Cloud companies for AI projects. The employees at Google protested that the government might use the technology in weapons, and the project was scrapped. Whereas Microsoft and Amazon continue to work with them, including on things like border wall security, seemingly without any employee revolt.

The impression I get is that the rank-and-file employees at Google would rank pretty high in terms of caring about ethical issues, whereas the executives are the typical profit-focused types.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is assume new acquisitions like Obsidian are to benefit from MS employee support ? Based on the results above i hope that translates into options available for mental health and family support. I know there was an Obsidian employee dealing with health issue's related to his young daughters, hope this means he has access to affordable health care insurance to help his family.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So is assume new acquisitions like Obsidian are to benefit from MS employee support ? Based on the results above i hope that translates into options available for mental health and family support. I know there was an Obsidian employee dealing with health issue's related to his young daughters, hope this means he has access to affordable health care insurance to help his family.

I recall reading that when an studio is bought by MS, the employees are considered "Microsoft employees" not "studio employee" so yeah, they should have all the benefits

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
From the time my friends have worked at Microsoft they've definitely enjoyed it there.

If I remember correctly they also match charitable donations any employee makes.

Oct 28, 2017
No specific issues that I know of, but their main source of revenue is gathering and monetizing user data for targeted ads. I'm not saying they are Facebook, but they often walk a thin line between privacy and profit. If one of the criteria is "treatment of user data", then I find the list odd. I wouldn't say Google is worst out there - but top 3? Come on.

Good for Microsoft, btw. They sure did change in the past few years. And Nadella seems like a cool person, from what I've seen.
It seems like you're creating this implication that collecting data means you're mistreating user data.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its not surprising, ive used windows for 2 decades and you can tell they dont push their employees very hard

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never believe they treated their workers so great compared so how I feel as a user or customer of their products.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
HR is bustin ass over there, rankings like those take lots of hard work. Congrats to MS

Erban1

Oct 26, 2017
Only been in the job market for about 10 years, but MS is by far the best employer I've ever had.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
It seems like you're creating this implication that collecting data means you're mistreating user data.

Collecting, not so much. Not being fully transparent on what you collect and what you do with it - that's a different matter. It depends on your definition of mistreatment. But when a company's main income comes not from the service they provide to you, but from knowing as much as they can about you and when you become their product - it's yucky. When I write an email in Gmail and mention that I'm going skiing and ski equipment starts popping out on website banners, I find that creepy, to say the least.

Oct 28, 2017
Collecting, not so much. Not being fully transparent on what you collect and what you do with it - that's a different matter. It depends on your definition of mistreatment. But when a company's main income comes not from the service they provide to you, but from knowing as much as they can about you and when you become their product - it's yucky. When I write an email in Gmail and mention that I'm going skiing and ski equipment starts popping out on website banners, I find that creepy, to say the least.
But why? It's not like some human read your email and personally set you to get those ads.

Oct 28, 2017
Intel has a poor environmental history. It's not so obvious now that manufacturing is overseas https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ers-had-a-toxic-problem-so-they-outsourced-it. I think Gordon Moore (founder of Intel) is full of shit when he says that they didn't know the chemicals they were dumping and putting into the city sewers were not harmful.

Back in the early 90s, an Intel employee told me that intel would rank engineers annually on their productivity and fire the lowest 5 percent or so, which this employee claimed was age discrimination because the young engineers would work nights and weekends while the older engineers had families and couldn't do that. However, I don't know if those allegations were true.

Zynx

Oct 25, 2017
When windows 10 is literally spyware that collects your usage activity, Microsoft's treatment of customers shouldn't be considered top 5.

Actually, this ranking seems just like an excuse to make an arbitrary list of how "awesome" these big companies are.