• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
lol nonsense.
XBO S is then the Xbox 4, XBO X the Xbox 5 and Xbox Scarlett the Xbox 6 then? Hilarious.
There have been more distinct models than that. Arguably even more if you count the OG 360 revisions with HDMI and RROD fixes.

1. Xbox
2. Xbox 360
3. Xbox 360 S
4. Xbox 360 E
5. Xbox One
6. Xbox One S
7. Xbox One X
8. Xbox 8

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Infinite

That way we get...
Halo Infinite
Gears Infinite
Forza Infinite

It absolutely screws them with future naming in the same way Bioshock Infinite did but also it would be a cool return to stuff being called ___ 64 on the N64 and Super ___ on the Super Nintendo.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
When it comes to names it's tricky given the names of previous xbox consoles.

Imo MS should name Scarlett, Xbox 2 or Xbox X2 and most importantly they should let the studious they acquired recently (plus old studios) have creative freedom as there is lots of tallent that will not be utilized if suits take decisions.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been more distinct models than that. Arguably even more if you count the OG 360 revisions with HDMI and RROD fixes.

1. Xbox
2. Xbox 360
3. Xbox 360 S
4. Xbox 360 E
5. Xbox One
6. Xbox One S
7. Xbox One X
8. Xbox 8
Yeah, I was just using the current-gen ones. It just makes no sense. Xbox "One" was already hilarious. Xbox 5 is just lol-worthy. Microsoft doesn't use numbers. So they won't use it for Scarlett either.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
For the real evolution, I say they start adding more dimensions.

Can't wait for the XGreat disnub dirhombidodecahedron.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Just call it Xbox and have a clear label of release year on it: 2020. Ensure backwards capability going forward and just release updated versions of the Xbox in the future. New games will have a label on them saying 'Requires Xbox 2020+ to play' or 'Requires Xbox 2023+ to play'

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going to have a proper name to differentiate it from other gens.

Kinda dreading what they come up with, it's Microsoft. High chance nobody has guessed it so far.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
OG XBOX was Project Midway
Xbox 360 was called 'Trinity'but codename changed to Xenon
Xbox One was Durango
Xbox One X was Project Scorpio
Xbox Next (2020) is Project Scarlett
Xbox Next X (2024 ? mid-gen upgrade) should be Project Gemini, which MS is most likely already planning now, as they were doing with Scorpio in late 2012.

The next-next gen Xbox in 2027 (the Xbox that will take on PS6) should be Project Taurus.

I really like the Zodiac theme they started with Scorpio and want it to continue with Gemini and Taurus.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Xbox One and Xbox One X are same gen, though. Why would they be 3 and 4? More like 3 and 3.5.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Xbox One X counts then the Xbox One S counts.

Xbox 6.

its a whole 1 better then the PS5 then

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
So far we have...
Xbox - 2001
Xbox 360 - 2005
Xbox One - 2013
Xbox One X - 2017

Microsoft has a pretty unconventional naming scheme going on. For them, I guess it is "whatever sounds cool at the moment". Technically, they would have to call it Xbox Four, though. But then again...Windows 10 did come after 8.1, for some reason. Just call it

XboxV

Nov 1, 2017
They really missed a trick not calling the Xbox One X "Xbox 4K". Not only does it make sense (it's designed to push games to output 4K stuff unless you're like me and go for 60 FPS every time) but it would be the perfect segue-way into calling Scarlett the Xbox 5.

But they aren't gonna do that so screw it, ditch the numbers. I would also say fuck it, keep Scarlett, any name they pick is probably gonna sound stupid anyway until you get used to it. Xbox in itself sounds dumb, Playstation initially sounded like a Fisher Price Babby's First Game Console toy, the less said about Wii (and Wii U) the better, in fact Switch is probably one of the rare game console names that is simple, elegant and perfect. Well, it was until they bought out the Switch Lite.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
If they follow the equally stupid naming convention of Battlefield, then yes they will in fact call the next Xbox....XBOX V.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They wont call it like that (they should but cant) MS made a mistake with calling the real Xbox 2 a 360.

Like Sony did with PSVita instead of PSP 2.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy none of us here at Resetera gets to determine the name of the Xbox 8K.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I've thought this for a while.
Since Microsoft clearly does not want to have an inferior number than PlayStation (hello, 360) .... just skip to 5 to get to parity.

PS5 and Xbox5. Let's finally get it over with. Not just for the sake of the next console generation - but the console gen after that.