• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Microsoft is now letting Xbox One owners stream their PC games to the console and use a controller to play them. A newly updated app, Wireless Display app, from Microsoft enables the support so you can play Steam games or other titles directly on an Xbox One. You can use a regular Xbox controller to control the remote PC, enabling game play or even the ability to use an Xbox for presentations.

Microsoft's Wireless Display app uses Miracast to create a connection between a PC and the Xbox One, and you can cast to the Xbox using the winkey + P combination. There are different latency modes for gaming and watching videos from a remote PC, and the app is ideal if you want to project a stream or video onto the Xbox. You won't be able to stream protected content like Netflix, though.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check this out tonight. I already use the "PC -> Xbox" video stream option a good amount.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Microsoft is just prepping themselves to have the most feature packed and hella box they can come nextgen on release. No use for this on my end, but I'm gonna check it out.

Oct 26, 2017
so....

Steam is def gonna be on xbox then right?

MIcrosoft aint playing anymore. Phil spencer put xbox in the training room since the disastrous xbox one announcement.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it will work better than Steam Link. Been a while since Ive used it, but it was pretty good.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, another step forwards for Microsoft. In the past I've been messing around trying to stream this stuff back and forth, but obviously it wasn't an ideal experience due to the latency of doing it through multiple platforms. Awesome thing this is getting native support now, and it's just the next step in Microsoft's plan in having your content regardless of what platform you're on. Play Anywhere, xCloud, crossplay, now this... great stuff.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Hypothetically, I could stream Sea of Thieves to my Xbox One from my PC, and play it without needing Xbox Live Gold then?

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Hypothetically, I could stream Sea of Thieves to my Xbox One from my PC, and play it without needing Xbox Live Gold then?

tenor.gif

it should work

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So people could stream the remote play app from Windows to play PlayStation games on Xbox? Or is it only for certain applications?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So does that mean I can play PS4 games on the Xbox?

1. Use remote app to stream PS4 game to PC.
2. Stream PC to Xbox.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Edit: beaten by a min :(.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Cool I wonder if they will allow this without the need for a PC one day, course we would probably have to pay for them to keep Cloud severs running.

I can already do that on my Nvidia Shield with my Steam/Uplay/Blizzard Library and no P.C, but to be able to do the same on a Xbox would be awesome, one less box needed.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is just prepping themselves to have the most feature packed and hella box they can come nextgen on release. No use for this on my end, but I'm gonna check it out.

I don't really see a use case for it myself but it's a neat idea. I'd just plug my computer into the TV if I wanted to but I've never felt the need to. It says it's ideal for streaming video content rather than gaming but I'd imagine most of the video content people are consuming are through native apps (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon, Youtube, Twitch and so on). The latency could be concerning for gaming. People don't even like the latency of many TVs to begin with. Still, I'm interested to see where they go with these initiatives. Nice to see moves being made.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really cool. Nice way to play games on your entertainment center and not having to hook up your pc to your tv.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Does this stream windows to xbox, with the os or just a selected app from PC?

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't get me wrong the more options the better, but what is exactly is the point of this? If I already have a PC and a TV, why do I need to stream them from my xbox? I could just plug in to my TV and use a controller (what I currently do) or use a steam link. Unless I am missing something. Either way, glad Microsoft is making moves in the PC market finally.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Xbox, now a Steam Link. I'm pretty OK with that feature even if I'm not going to use it (it's double the electricity cost for no good reason).

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great, reminds me my 2012 Apple TV, that I used wirelessly on a TV for mirroring and dual-screening in Final Fut Pro.

It should be perfectly fine for local gaming, and maybe not that long before a hack to use the entire Windows desktop.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UWP RDP app? Let hem first fix that i can play Xbox One games streaming outside my house, like the PS4 can worldwide.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Don't get me wrong the more options the better, but what is exactly is the point of this? If I already have a PC and a TV, why do I need to stream them from my xbox? I could just plug in to my TV and use a controller (what I currently do) or use a steam link. Unless I am missing something. Either way, glad Microsoft is making moves in the PC market finally.
Steam Link is discontinued. You could have Xbox in Living Room and PC in your office and stream.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
wait does this let me play any game in my steam library on an xbox?

might be interested in getting an xbox after all this stuff microsoft is doing...