• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
I really liked F2, especially the opening. It was so charming. F3 was shit though. I've got it on my games list and everytime I see it it annoys me because it's not F2. Maybe they should just remaster that instead.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ugh. Fable was the last Microsoft IP that I truly loved. The franchise is probably on the backburner for them if not straight-up dead. Unless MS makes another exclusive I really get into, I probably won't but another one of their consoles after this.

Yes. The remaster of Fable I just became BC as well. Enjoy replaying them!

Thank you!!! I'm putting Fable 2 on tonight :) Oh I didn't even know Fable 1 was ever in 360 I will have to look into that one

Oct 27, 2017
Fable legends wasnt perfect but I was down to give it a good try. Dumb af that they canned it.
Legends didn't have an interesting hook. The visuals and gameplay was solid but the repetitive dungeons and gameplay loop wasn't the best. As a F2p game, I couldn't see myself going back to play it multiple times let alone pay money for cosmetics. There was something there, but not in its current form

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we don't have a full fledge Fable title on the XBO highlights how badly MS has botched up the 1st party output lately. I bet Rare would produce an amazing title if given the opportunity.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Fable is almost my ideal game, and I've loved the series since I first played it on PC because of this. Even though Fable 2 and 3 had their flaws (I didn't even die in 3), I really enjoyed them. The game they cancelled? When I tried it, it was disappointing and I hated that they went in that direction. I'm not a very social gamer, though, and prefer to get lost in my RPGs.

I really, really want them to make Fable 4, Fable 5...

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for a Fable 4/Reboot. Please make it happen MS.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you BeardedOne. Outside of Final Fantasy, Fable was the RPG for me and despite its flaws hit all the right beats for me. Fable 2 is one of my favorite games and it's sad knowing I probably won't play anything in that world again.

Thank you!!! I'm putting Fable 2 on tonight :) Oh I didn't even know Fable 1 was ever in 360 I will have to look into that one

Oh I'm jealous lol! I can't find my copy of Fable 2 and might have lost in my last move. :/

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd play another Fable! I loved fable 2. And even though fable 3 was a dissapointment it still had some really good parts. Never played the first ones but I read a lot about it and I saw some videos about it, and it seems to be great game perhaps better than 2.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MS has a clear idea for single player games going forward, so if Fable ever does come back I'd expect increased focus on multiplayer aspects, whether that's like Dark Souls or Destiny or whatever. But I don't see it happening right now, and I honestly don't know who'd be best to work on it.

I think if they wanted their focus to be MP-related, they should've turned it into a Diablo/Destiny-like game.

Legends was already half-way there, they just needed to dump the 4v1 angle, because playing as the mastermind Villian was completely boring the way they handled it.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Feel the hype, Resetera. (I don't know why this wasn't included with Fable Anniversary. Not seeing it as the intro was a buzz kill.)

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Shame, the Fable IP has a lot of potential. A Fable game ala the Witcher 3 could've been amazing.

Cbrun44

Absolutely loved Fable 2 and 3. A 4th would immediately move to my most anticipated game of that year. The whole vibe of that series feels like it was made directly to my sensibilities.

Shame a 4th will likely never happens. And frankly that makes no sense.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will come back with a reboot/soft reboot eventually. New developer but maybe one that is known for RPG's. I still think giving it to Rare is not only the best for style, characters and the same british charm but they could probably also come up with something new for the series kinda reinventing the series (since it will be a reboot/soft reboot)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I think Sony and MS will continue to compete closely in terms of console power (and therefore go head-to-head directly on being the best home for third-party multiplats) but the gap between their philosophies toward exclusive AAA content is growing into a chasm. Look at recent comments by Loftis on the financial non-viability of SP games. Then look at Sony's tent pole first party releases for this and next year… MS could compete with Sony on SP games if they wanted too, but instead they are canceling SP projects and putting franchises like Fable in the freezer. From a business point of view I find it very fascinating and wonder how it will play out over the remainder of this console gen and into the next one. Perhaps MS will find themselves with a larger share of gamers' dollars, but a lower mindshare among the community generally.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
They really shit the bed with the Fable franchise.

Hearing that Fable Legends was almost complete and they still canceled it and closed Lionhead was such a baffling decision.

It was not really the Fable game people wanted but it was better than nothing.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
They really shit the bed with the Fable franchise.

Hearing that Fable Legends was almost complete and they still canceled it and closed Lionhead was such a baffling decision.

It was not really the Fable game people wanted but it was better than nothing.
Sunk cost fallacy.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
A lot of people are saying Rare should be the one to make Fable 4, but I don't know if I'd personally want them to. What if MS turns them into the new Fable factory now that Lionhead is gone? That'd be a huge bummer. I'd much rather prefer Rare to revisit some of their older IPs or make new and interesting ones instead of becoming the next Lionhead. Plus, I've never played a Fable game before, so I don't personally have any attachment to the franchise.

So for Rare fans, this'll probably be just a return to the Kinect Sports days where Rare works on the same franchise over and over instead of other and possibly more interesting things.

Cueil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every one of these interviews with MS execs about IPs they own that aren't Halo, Gears, or Forza are all exactly the same. "We love that series! We'd love to do more!" They never do.
The difference is that Fable is a multi-million selling franchise they should have let Lionhead make Fable 4. I think Fable could easily be monetized with skins and other non-game affecting objects.

Cueil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone should've been paying attention during development and switched gears way before it got cancelled, before they blew $75 million on it, before they decided to take a single player RPG and turn it into a game that nobody asked for.

It's just a bit disappointing. The team that worked on Legends could've made a badass Fable RPG.
The assets are there to do this. There is nothing stopping a team from using what was already created and then making a new game with it. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Obsidian make it because I think they could certainly bring in the talent to keep the British humor while creating a game that is more Zelda: BotW in that it's a "Yes" game as Larry Hyrb likes to call it.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Amen.

I followed the game for quite a while, and played the beta once I got an access key. It was hardly a game I could call Fable, even if it was a spin-off.

Now granted games do change in development, but I think what I saw was far down the line to really see any changes.

I'd like to see a rebooted Fable since Molyneux is no longer at the helm. Would really help the series come back and establish a new identity.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The assets are there to do this. There is nothing stopping a team from using what was already created and then making a new game with it. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Obsidian make it because I think they could certainly bring in the talent to keep the British humor while creating a game that is more Zelda: BotW in that it's a "Yes" game as Larry Hyrb likes to call it.

That's the dream.

Hopefully someone at Obsidian is already making that pitch.

Oct 28, 2017

I would absolutely be down with this. The franchise is definitely primed for a new release. I think it could be very strong.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I loved Halo, it was Fable that really pushed me into buying an Xbox. Sure, Molyneux was full of crap, however the team at Lionhead were very talented and I feel fully succeeded at creating a unique ip, with incredible atmosphere and a memorable and often beautiful musical score. The grave mismanagement of Lionhead and Rare has really hurt my view of Microsoft, especially in an age where they are in urgent need of an exclusive RPG series. Microsoft had a battalion and they threw it all away. They could outsource the IP if push came to shove, though that would only make the series theirs in name alone. They need to work towards creating more studios, not dismembering them for once.

Icy Arcade

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Needs a revamp/reboot with and a first party studio who can have some passion in the project with an in house engine instead of Unreal. which would definitely take years but would be worth it IMO

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the first game in the series. Tried to play 2 a few months back and the player character felt like he was sliding around on an ice rink. =(

Curious to play Fable Anniversary via BC when the price is reasonable, but I still have a soft spot for this series. It's a shame MS can't find a developer to do this franchise justice.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Ugh. Fable was the last Microsoft IP that I truly loved. The franchise is probably on the backburner for them if not straight-up dead. Unless MS makes another exclusive I really get into, I probably won't but another one of their consoles after this.

It's just amazing how lost MS has been this gen. Botched and cancelled first party exclusives, lost superior third party ports, have weaker hardware, and not even launching the X with something like a 4k halo or whatever.

Cueil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just amazing how lost MS has been this gen. Botched and cancelled first party exclusives, lost superior third party ports, have weaker hardware, and not even launching the X with something like a 4k halo or whatever.
are they really lost or has Phil canned some really bad games... I can tell you that Fable was not good. I can also tell you that there was some shady stuff going on with Platinum games.

Cueil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you expand on this part, please?
I'm not saying that it's all true, but where there is smoke... lot of different sources saying that code wasn't getting worked on despite the huge money Microsoft was putting into the game and considering the other games that did launch during its development there were rumors they were using MS money on other games (who knows the truth). There was also talk that the code had gotten worse when they finally pulled the plug on the game. I'm not sure if Platinum games just got over their heads or if some of these rumors were really true, but I am guessing that Microsoft wouldn't can a game they thought could push their brand even if it wasn't a sure-fire profit maker. There is no way Phil just pulled the plug just because they were behind. He knew that pulling this would have a huge negative backlash on the brand so there is more smoke. Who knows what's true and what isn't, but I'm guessing that Platinum and Microsoft won't be doing any deals in the near future, at least when it comes to new IP.
edit: I wish I had the time to do some real digging into this, but living that two job life... I'm sure some people on the forums have debunked some of these rumors, but this whole thing felt kind of strange to me.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not saying that it's all true, but where there is smoke... lot of different sources saying that code wasn't getting worked on despite the huge money Microsoft was putting into the game and considering the other games that did launch during its development there were rumors they were using MS money on other games (who knows the truth). There was also talk that the code had gotten worse when they finally pulled the plug on the game. I'm not sure if Platinum games just got over their heads or if some of these rumors were really true, but I am guessing that Microsoft wouldn't can a game they thought could push their brand even if it wasn't a sure-fire profit maker. There is no way Phil just pulled the plug just because they were behind. He knew that pulling this would have a huge negative backlash on the brand so there is more smoke. Who knows what's true and what isn't, but I'm guessing that Platinum and Microsoft won't be doing any deals in the near future, at least when it comes to new IP.
edit: I wish I had the time to do some real digging into this, but living that two job life... I'm sure some people on the forums have debunked some of these rumors, but this whole thing felt kind of strange to me.
Who are those sources, and where are these rumors from?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the Fable series, honestly it was one of the selling points of the OG Xbox for me. The fate of this IP is a serious bummer and I would love it if MS did something worthwhile with it.

That said, I did not care for the steampunk/industrial revolution stuff they started going towards. If they ever did another one, I'd like it properly medieval.

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the first game on PC when I originally played it. Unfortunately, I don't think it holds up very well gameplay wise and the subsequent entries never really did it for me.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At this point I can only see a complete reboot on the cards, and that's got to be a while off. To be honest, I'd be happy if they ported Fable Anniversary to X1 and fixed all the bugs - I know it's on BC now, but I find it crazy that it never received a native release at launch. I can only think it had something to do with their plans for Fable Legends.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The strangest thing to me is why Fable 2 isn't ported to PC already. 1, Lost Chapters, 3 and Fortune all are but my favourite one 2 isn't. Really strange.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The strangest thing to me is why Fable 2 isn't ported to PC already. 1, Lost Chapters, 3 and Fortune all are but my favourite one 2 isn't. Really strange.

Not sure if this was their intention, but as a long-time PC gamer, having Fable 2 on 360 was basically my top reason for eventually buying one. I held out for a PC version for years but in the end I gave up waiting.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this was their intention, but as a long-time PC gamer, having Fable 2 on 360 was basically my top reason for eventually buying one. I held out for a PC version for years but in the end I gave up waiting.
It's sad to say that the only way to play it on PC will eventually be with the Xenia emulator. They won't port it themselves so we have to emulate it!

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who are those sources, and where are these rumors from?
the one about Platinum has actually been floating around since around February (or at least that's when i first saw it) the rumor of it that i heard was that Platinum had to keep pulling people off the main Scalebound team to help finish Nier Automata which caused the builds of the game they were presenting to Microsoft were getting worst and worst due to a lack of staff which caused them to pull the plug on the project, as for what happened with Fable... i got nothing, if a source could be found for it, it would definitely shed a lot of light on what the hell happened with that game and why it costed so much money.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
the one about Platinum has actually been floating around since around February (or at least that's when i first saw it) the rumor of it that i heard was that Platinum had to keep pulling people off the main Scalebound team to help finish Nier Automata which caused the builds of the game they were presenting to Microsoft were getting worst and worst due to a lack of staff which caused them to pull the plug on the project, as for what happened with Fable... i got nothing, if a source could be found for it, it would definitely shed a lot of light on what the hell happened with that game and why it costed so much money.
So if there is no source, it seems like conjecture.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel the hype, Resetera. (I don't know why this wasn't included with Fable Anniversary. Not seeing it as the intro was a buzz kill.)

The best! Such a good intro.

The thing to remember, and I'm not necessarily saying they will have something to show for it, is if they did take this years lack of first party games criticism to heart we probably won't see a change for 2-3 years. I'm guessing in 2019 we will see the result of them trying to compete with Horizon and other strong first party games from competitors plus something to make goodwill with fans after cancellations of Fable, Scalebound, etc.

I imagine they made Playground's new IP an exclusive too. While I don't have a ton of faith they will come out swinging in 2019-2020, the fact that they refrained from milking Halo 3's 10th anniversary and aren't going with a Halo 6 in 2018 or anytime soon gives me hope they are shaking things up behind the scenes

Yeah I'm not expecting any great progress so soon. We can only hope though!

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Fable is just a name / franchise that MS will tease from time to time to get your hopes up..

don't bother.. MS killed it for a reason, they effectively destroyed fable as a franchise, with the less than brilliant fable 3, and that god awful Kinect game.

I'd love to see it come back, but at the moment the best we can hope for is a remaster of Fable 2.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Recently finished Fable Anniversary on PC and it made me realize that I actually miss the series. At least release Fable 2 on Steam, MS...

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Bring Fable back and work with Mistwalker again and make the games console exclusive so I can have a reason to own an Xbox, thanks.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need Fable 4 because this is one of my favorite franchises even I had fun with Fable The Journey [Kinect]. I hope MS takes time to rest the IP and bring it back with fresh, new and wonderful idea and game play.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the only thing Microsoft needs to do is OG Xbox emulation for Fables The Lost Chapters for Xbox One and do Xbox One X enhancements for Fable Anniversary, Fable 2, and Fable 3 like they did with Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, and Oblivion.

Then Move on

Revisit the IP when it makes sense and a developer is passionate about making it again.