• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
OT but i always thought the title 'Fable Legend' is just LOL misnomer...

Isn't the word Fable some kind of legend?

Calling it 'Fable Legend' is basically 'divine divinity' levels of 'English'.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I've never thought about that before. Fable means old story with the emphasis is on it being fictional, so they're probably synonyms of one another.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I loved Fable to death, it had so much potential. It is a shame, because the handling of some ip's made me not buy a Microsoft console this gen.
I just miss the magic, originality and appeal of some games. Give me a new Sudeki or a Fable, give me a Brute Force or a Blue Dragon.I was on the verge of buying the console because of Scalebound. I hope the Xbox One X does really good so they start investing again.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Its really sad how they treated Fable. I loved the series and I wish they make Fable 4 but I know it won't happen

Flamin' Galah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Lost Chapters and Fable II were such great games. It's a shame Fable III didn't live up to expectations and then the other crap they put out, they took it to a slow and painful death.

I would LOVE to have a new Fable game. Cross-platform support between Xbox and Windows 10.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are saying Rare should be the one to make Fable 4, but I don't know if I'd personally want them to. What if MS turns them into the new Fable factory now that Lionhead is gone? That'd be a huge bummer.

I don't want them on Fable either, but mostly because I'd rather have them working on their own franchises (Banjo and Perfect Dark in particular), not because doing so would turn them into a factory. It's very likely they could be turned into a factory the minute they make something resembling a hit, regardless of what it is.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss those Demon Doors, the game just oozed charm

Oct 28, 2017
It's a surprising one for them to kill as 3 still sold pretty well, better than Forza 3 and Gears 3 and it's their only other IP which did sell on Xbox.

Yet they continue with Rare when none of the games sold well at all and Kameo/Banjo were fanatastic, if they had been on a Sony or Ninetendo console both would have done great just look at Knack!

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I don't want them on Fable either, but mostly because I'd rather have them working on their own franchises (Banjo and Perfect Dark in particular), not because doing so would turn them into a factory. It's very likely they could be turned into a factory the minute they make something resembling a hit, regardless of what it is.

Looking at it from that angle, seems like Rare is doomed regardless of what happens next. If Sea of Thieves becomes a big hit, they'll probably just be forced to only work on nothing but SoT for years to come. If SoT fails, they face the very real risk of being closed down. Or alternatively, they'll just take Lionhead's place and make Fable games.

If I were a Rare employee, I would be kind of concerned right about now lol.

It's a surprising one for them to kill as 3 still sold pretty well, better than Forza 3 and Gears 3 and it's their only other IP which did sell on Xbox.

Yet they continue with Rare when none of the games sold well at all and Kameo/Banjo were fanatastic, if they had been on a Sony or Ninetendo console both would have done great just look at Knack!

That doesn't really make any sense to say as Rare is just basically their studio to go to for new ideas. It's not like they've only been making Banjo and Kameo sequels even though those games bombed. Right now they're working on Sea of Thieves which is a completely new thing. Who knows if it will be a success or not?

Also, I think you're forgetting how successful the Kinect Sports games were, aside from the last one. Don't forget the Avatars too. Rare has also done a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff for MS that you wouldn't normally hear about. They're still an important studio for MS, even if it might not seem like it when looking in from the outside.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

The characters were the legends. I agree that it was a dumb name.

I'm pretty sure Gears 3 sold better. It sold 3 million copies in its first week on the market. Not sure how Fable III compares to Forza Motorsport 3, though.

That said, Fable III still sold very well. I'm certain that a proper Fable IV for XBO/W10 would have done great numbers.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it from that angle, seems like Rare is doomed regardless of what happens next. If Sea of Thieves becomes a big hit, they'll probably just be forced to only work on nothing but SoT for years to come. If SoT fails, they face the very real risk of being closed down.

I hope it isn't like that, but with the way Microsoft is running their other studios or closing them down, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in one of those two scenarios. I can't imagine them ever returning to something like Banjo with an investment like Sea of Thieves or something like Mario Odyssey.

Maybe if we're really lucky we could see a smaller investment like a Super Lucky's Tale for something like Banjo, but I no longer believe in more than that from Microsoft. It is what it is and the way they've run their studios paints a clear picture.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft wont close rare even If SoT bombs. They had better chances to and never did.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I hope it isn't like that, but with the way Microsoft is running their other studios or closing them down, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in one of those two scenarios. I can't imagine them ever returning to something like Banjo with an investment like Sea of Thieves or something like Mario Odyssey.

Maybe if we're really lucky we could see a smaller investment like a Super Lucky's Tale for something like Banjo, but I no longer believe in more than that from Microsoft. It is what it is and the way they've run their studios paints a clear picture.

Microsoft wont close rare even If SoT bombs. They had better chances to and never did.

Yeah, I've always believed what Starlatine just stated. MS have now owned Rare for 15 years, and Rare has released so many unsuccessful titles on Xbox systems over the years. You'd think MS would've closed them down after all the failures of Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Piñata, or Nuts & Bolts, but they didn't. Kinect Sports might've saved them from death, although I guess we may never know what goes on behind the scenes.

But at the same time, let's not forget that we are living in the Satya Nadella/Phil Spencer era where nothing is certain. A lot of strange things have been going on at MS lately like the closure of Lionhead and Press Play, or the cancellation of Scalebound, or letting go of Twisted Pixel, etc. etc. MS has been very unpredictable lately, and this has me kind of worried for Rare if I'm honest.

Not to mention all the other studio closures that happened in the past way before Spencer took the helm. MS has a long history of this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The characters were the legends. I agree that it was a dumb name.

I'm pretty sure Gears 3 sold better. It sold 3 million copies in its first week on the market. Not sure how Fable III compares to Forza Motorsport 3, though.

That said, Fable III still sold very well. I'm certain that a proper Fable IV for XBO/W10 would have done great numbers.
Ah my bad I must have seen the 3mil figure and assumed it was total not week one, still 6mil total vs. Fable 3's 5mil and Lionhead get pushed onto Fable Legends rather than Fable 4 which based on the beta I played would have bombed and they get closed down but they buyout Gears after Judgement sold poorly it makes no sense?!

Forza 3 actually sold about the same and that was a heavily bundled title, though I guess because it's on a 2 year cycle of easy sales it's their most profitable franchise.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed all three Fable games. Even the third one. There was something so charming and endearing about them.

If MS announced Fable 4 and Lost Odyssey 2 it would make me buy an Xbox One S.

hardseppo

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Lost Odyssey 2 would be amazing.

But I personally don't think the Fable IP is capable of pulling off a good release anymore.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've always believed what Starlatine just stated. MS have now owned Rare for 15 years, and Rare has released so many unsuccessful titles on Xbox systems over the years. You'd think MS would've closed them down after all the failures of Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Piñata, or Nuts & Bolts, but they didn't. Kinect Sports might've saved them from death, although I guess we may never know what goes on behind the scenes.

But at the same time, let's not forget that we are living in the Satya Nadella/Phil Spencer era where nothing is certain. A lot of strange things have been going at MS lately like the closure of Lionhead and Press Play, or the cancellation of Scalebound, or letting go of Twisted Pixel, etc. etc. MS has been very unpredictable lately, and this has me kind of worried for Rare if I'm honest.

Not to mention all the other studio closures that happened in the past way before Spencer took the helm. MS has a long history of this kind of stuff.

Shared World Games fit great in the current gaming climate being less risk averse. Not only do they open up the opportunity for more monetizations options they also have the potential to maintain a sizable playerbase for years to come.

And not only is Rare creating a game meeting all this. The game also offers a unique experience, which is very streamer and youtube friendly. Adding to that the game has been received extremely well at events and everywhere it's been shown off.

Because of all this, Microsoft is hedging their bets, unlike fable legends, which would probably have flopped. They think they have a real hit on their hands, and will to continue to invest in most likely, a very expensive game.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
MS needs a big-ass AAA singleplayer game, Fable IV could've been it if Mattrick didn't cancel it for Fable Legends.

Oct 25, 2017
Would love a Fable 2 remaster - perhaps something like that would be the gateway to a Fable 4? Lord knows there are enough bugs there that need squashing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will love to see a big scale open world fable game, I really liked the charm of the game in Fable 2

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS needs a big-ass AAA singleplayer game, Fable IV could've been it if Mattrick didn't cancel it for Fable Legends.

Are they even interested in singleplayer style games much anymore? The series always had a lot of potential but with the direction Microsoft is taking I wouldn't get my hopes up but another Fable and another Conker would be very enticing.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the series returning as some type of shared world experience.

Judging the direction Microsoft has taken with games, this seems like the most likely scenario.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But at the same time, let's not forget that we are living in the Satya Nadella/Phil Spencer era where nothing is certain. A lot of strange things have been going at MS lately like the closure of Lionhead and Press Play, or the cancellation of Scalebound, or letting go of Twisted Pixel, etc. etc. MS has been very unpredictable lately, and this has me kind of worried for Rare if I'm honest.
Agreed. It wouldn't shock me at all if MS closed Rare if SOT flops. Would probably be in their benefit to pitch Fable, just in case, could be a good fall back for them.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely try to reboot the franchise, but not on Xbox One. Just try to get a new one in the launch window of their next console. At this point, games are just going to die on X1 (and I love the console, but them's the breaks).

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Fable II holds a spot in my heart, was the first Fable game i played and completed. However, going back to to the original Fable with the Anniversary edition a few years back, i enjoyed it and can see why people prefer the 1st over the 2nd. Fable III, it was so, so easy to basically cheat the system with replaying saves. I didn't like the gate'd upgrade system, however the expanded revisted areas were nice enough. I'm still holding out for a Fable IV, but i doubt that'll happen anytime soon. I feel it's a franchise that again has been left too long.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol. Everybody wants Fable 2 on PC. Nobody seems to care that Fable 3 was pulled from Steam and has been missing on PC for years.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Just thinking, maybe Fable could be reworked as an AA title? I'm thinking something on the scale of ReCore.

I mean, for example, it's not a series that ever really had cutting edge, realistic graphics and a new entry could work just fine with a more 'cartoony' look that, while still obviously requiring a fair bit of skill and work, wouldn't be such a huge, expensive undertaking. And I don't think it would need a massive open world with complicated weather systems and a day-night cycle, stuffed with 5 million side quests and collectables either. A few decent size, nicely designed map zones, with a good few dungeons, would be fine.

Fable worked because of it's unique sense of humour, it's mix of rpg-lite/sim-lite systems and it's basic but fun good/evil main character system. Those would be the things I would want a new title to get right, and I don't think MS would need to break the bank to pay a good team to get them right.

Dunno, just thinking out loud. I would love to see Fable come back again.

Naseer

Oct 27, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Fable without Lionhead would be different. Not necessarily bad, but it would be different. So there's that hurdle to handle.

Also, a Fable without english fart humor is not a Fable I would like to see.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remake Fable II and use it as an excuse to bring it to PC.

Such a goddamn shame that PC got the massively underwhelming Fable III, and never got Fable II.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remake Fable II and use it as an excuse to bring it to PC.

Such a goddamn shame that PC got the massively underwhelming Fable III, and never got Fable II.

No need for them to remake it, they can do Xbox One X Enhancements with increased resolution (9x Pixels), and 10 bit color depth unlocked.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Shrek / Once Upon a Time, the Video Game series. I think Fable does need time to breathe before reinvestment.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing Horizon last night and got serious Fable vibes when wandering around in one of the villages and was thinking what would happen to this once loved series

Fable 1 is still a personal classic, just one of the most charming games I ever played

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
funeral-flowers-grave-gif-5518042
giphy.gif

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fable isnt an Ip I want to see return. The games were never that good to begin with.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying he should be helming, I was saying without some big name behind it I would see MS funding another one.

I'm sure they can find somebody to do it. Honestly, I could see the recent success of The Witcher 3 influencing them a bit. And that game dodged their concerns about SP profitability by having a long tail of DLC. Fable was always about the side-quests (but they were funny, which is of course not the tone CDPR goes for), and that's the core design of The Witcher 3.

And MS isn't shy to throw money at a game; Fable 3 has one of the most star-studded casts for a video game in the industry. They could probably snag a decently famous writer or something to helm it.

RoslindaleOne

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love the franchise and it was one of the reasons I chose XB1 over PS4. So, it's no surprise that I was really disappointed in what happened to Lionhead. I think they should start up a new studio or hire more developers to Rare and have another team there working on a new Fable.