• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
https://www.ft.com/content/7707705e-b288-4531-b30d-7fa993325018
Microsoft is preparing to launch a new app store for games on iPhones and Android smartphones as soon as next year if its $75bn acquisition of Activision Blizzard is cleared by regulators, according to the head of its Xbox business. New rules requiring Apple and Google to open up their mobile platforms to app stores owned and operated by other companies are expected to come into force from March 2024 under the EU's Digital Markets Act.

"We want to be in a position to offer Xbox and content from both us and our third-party partners across any screen where somebody would want to play," said Phil Spencer, chief executive of Microsoft Gaming, in an interview ahead of this week's annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. "Today, we can't do that on mobile devices but we want to build towards a world that we think will be coming where those devices are opened up." Microsoft is fighting with regulators in the US, Europe and UK, which have all raised concerns about the potential impact on competition from the owner of the Xbox console buying the developer of Call of Duty, one of the world's most popular games franchises. PlayStation maker Sony has been a vocal opponent of the deal. However, Spencer argues the deal can boost competition in what he called the "largest platform people play on" — smartphones — where Apple and Google currently operate what some antitrust authorities have called a "duopoly" over distribution of games and other apps.
Microsoft and Apple have tussled for years over how the software giant's cloud-based gaming service, which is part of Xbox Game Pass, operates on iPhones. Microsoft has argued Apple's App Store rules restrict its ability to offer cloud gaming through a single app that runs natively on the iPhone, forcing users to access the service via a web browser, resulting in lower performance. Apple has denied it blocks cloud gaming apps, but App Store rules require providers to list each game on the App Store individually. Similar to restrictions on Amazon's Kindle ereader app, Apple does not allow individual games to be purchased from a storefront within native apps. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority announced in November that it was investigating Apple's stance on cloud games, following its Mobile Ecosystem Market Study. But the CMA is also proving a significant hurdle to Microsoft completing its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, after the agency last month said the deal raised multiple competition concerns that could only be resolved by a spin-off of its blockbuster Call of Duty franchise. Microsoft has argued that divesting Call of Duty would undermine its rationale for the deal, which was first announced in January last year. It is trying to persuade the CMA that proposed behavioural remedies, such as commitments to license Call of Duty to rival consoles and cloud services, such as its recent deals with Nintendo and Nvidia, would satisfy its concerns.

This is paywalled but interesting info

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont even use the amazon appstore on android so why woukd i use this? unless you pay Samsung and co to put this on their phones there's no point

Nov 8, 2017
ABK would give them control of big games, but exclusivity on Candy Crush and Diablo Immortal will probably just result in those kinds of things dying or declining as a result, while anything short of exclusivity isn't going to encourage meaningful migration. It's difficult to imagine any serious displacement occurring because the apple and google stores are so dominant, and even if people do decide to install an app from Microsoft's store instead of Google's to get 10 free gems per week, they aren't going to be installing Uber and Facebook from it.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
I believe both Apple and Google have their own subscription services. Even Netflix has mobile games as part of the regular subscription.
And now Microsoft can extend their 25+/30+ (I don't know the latest numbers) Game Pass subscriptions to mobile. It doesn't not make sense.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
i dont even use the amazon appstore on android so why woukd i use this? unless you pay Samsung and co to put this on their phones there's no point
Presumably they'd do something to give you reason to. Some kinda game pass tie in maybe? I'd be all for a value add to my existing sub.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
ABK would give them control of big games, but exclusivity on Candy Crush and Diablo Immortal will probably just result in those kinds of things dying or declining as a result, while anything short of exclusivity isn't going to encourage meaningful migration. It's difficult to imagine any serious displacement occurring because the apple and google stores are so dominant, and even if people do decide to install an app from Microsoft's store instead of Google's to get 10 free gems per week, they aren't going to be installing Uber and Facebook from it.

I didn't read this as a general purpose app store, more using the Xbox+Game Pass brands to push a game store on those platforms so they actually have a mobile position in gaming. And presumably just like on PC, they would keep a lot of content available in the dominant stores as well.

Presumably they'd do something to give you reason to. Some kinda game pass tie in maybe? I'd be all for a value add to my existing sub.

Easy to imagine keeping buy to play / existing free to play games on the current stores, but access to your Game Pass sub content only happens through theirs.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The change of laws allowing alternative storefronts/payments primarily on ios but also android would make this easier.

Do you have the Xbox app or Game Pass app downloaded? Then you would use this. This would likely merge that functionality together while allowing for more functionality. Cloud streaming built in, native game downloads, in game purchasing allowed, third party apps, etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Samsung would, tbh. Given their Windows partnership, it wouldn't surprise me if, somewhere down the line, Samsung and Microsoft partner to release Android with Microsoft services and the Microsoft store installed instead of Googles, with the option of downloading the Play Store yourself.

OP
OP
T0kenAussie

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Definitely I don't see Microsoft being able to exclude their games from the big 2 but a gamepass perks system of extra currency would incentivise power users
kinda feel like they should had done this like 10 years ago.
They definitely couldn't have, they've tried before and been shut down like the native iOS xcloud app that got removed for "breaking ToS"

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure Samsung would, tbh. Given their Windows partnership, it wouldn't surprise me if, somewhere down the line, Samsung and Microsoft partner to release Android with Microsoft services and the Microsoft store installed instead of Googles, with the option of downloading the Play Store yourself.

this would torpedo samsung phone sales for no good reason. it's not just the play store, it's the whole bundle of services/APIs that google includes with android to make the OS functional.

try using a huawei phone these days for an idea of how this would go for samsung.

i'm sure they could cut a deal with microsoft to bundle the alternative store, though, as they've already done with mobile office apps etc

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
this would torpedo samsung phone sales for no good reason. it's not just the play store, it's the whole bundle of services/APIs that google includes with android to make the OS functional.

try using a huawei phone these days for an idea of how this would go for samsung.

i'm sure they could cut a deal with microsoft to bundle the alternative store, though, as they've already done with mobile office apps etc
You don't think Microsoft couldn't come up with a bunch of other services to make up for it 10 years down the line? Not to mention, Huawei isn't Samsung or Microsoft; they lack the clout and the name brand. Not to mention, it's easy to install the Play Store on Huawei devices. If random people on the internet can do it, Samsung or Microsoft could have a package download and install the Play Store and Play Services on initial setup.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's better then their continued attempt at a PC game store, that thing is still not great...

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Where would it be launching though? Would still need to release it on Android and IOS, so the idea of it being able to rival them seems a little... optimistic :P I am sure they will give it a red hot go, but people will just download Candy Crush directly.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
It's nice to want things. Er, wait, why would literally any human being want this? Yeah no. Samsung isn't going to write itself out of mobile relevancy like this. There's no bribe in the universe big enough to con them into it, either. Besides, Google isn't going to sign off on Android services without the thing that makes revenue for it, lol.

People forget Microsoft tried a windows mobile OS, even made their own phones with it for awhile, and it was an absolute disaster. Same selling point, really, "hey it's the MS services you know and love!" was a non-starter for people vs even early Android that lacked those sorts of functionalities.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This would make sense if not only can players subscribe and play game pass from this store on any mobile device, but they could also buy Xbox games from a mobile device, own them across mobile, Xcloud, Xbox, and PC. That would be a huge boon for developers to support and allow purchaed Xbox games to work on Xcloud.

Imagine a mobile gamer being able to buy GTA 6, and play it on their phone, then wanting better fidelity, and being able to just buy and Xbox and continue thier save games there.

On top of that, they could sell native mobile games.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to want things. Er, wait, why would literally any human being want this? Yeah no. Samsung isn't going to write itself out of mobile relevancy like this. There's no bribe in the universe big enough to con them into it, either. Besides, Google isn't going to sign off on Android services without the thing that makes revenue for it, lol.

People forget Microsoft tried a windows mobile OS, even made their own phones with it for awhile, and it was an absolute disaster. Same selling point, really, "hey it's the MS services you know and love!" was a non-starter for people vs even early Android that lacked those sorts of functionalities.
No one forgot. The difference between Windows Mobile and Android is that Microsoft doesn't need to convince people to make apps for it, the apps are already there. Having a "do you want to download Google services to this device" screen on startup would not damage things. Samsung is defacto Android to the average consumer base anyway. The most important stuff in Android is baked into AOSP outside of Play Services. And again, Microsoft and Samsung could always feed those in anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
You don't think Microsoft couldn't come up with a bunch of other services to make up for it 10 years down the line? Not to mention, Huawei isn't Samsung or Microsoft; they lack the clout and the name brand. Not to mention, it's easy to install the Play Store on Huawei devices. If random people on the internet can do it, Samsung or Microsoft could have a package download and install the Play Store and Play Services on initial setup.

no i absolutely don't think they could!

it's easy to install the play store on huawei devices, yes, but that's my point — the actual experience is broken as shit. for example, uber relies on google's location services. huawei provides its own location API for apps downloaded through its own store, but obviously that's not how uber was designed, so it doesn't work even if you can download it. other popular apps need google services for opaque reasons and won't even boot. things don't update properly and are often randomly blocked if the device isn't certified. trust me, i've tried this, it sucks.

huawei is a gigantic company with hundreds of thousands of employees. it spends more on R&D than almost anyone else on the planet and was extremely motivated to fix this problem once trump destroyed their consumer business. they couldn't do it. meanwhile microsoft could barely get instagram to put an app in the windows phone store. samsung has no reason to do this. it's not happening

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Even without iOS or Android opening up, MS can do what Netflix already did with their games - which I think is quite ingenious.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
no i absolutely don't think they could!

it's easy to install the play store on huawei devices, yes, but that's my point — the actual experience is broken as shit. for example, uber relies on google's location services. huawei provides its own location API for apps downloaded through its own store, but obviously that's not how uber was designed, so it doesn't work even if you can download it. other popular apps need google services for opaque reasons and won't even boot. things don't update properly and are often randomly blocked if the device isn't certified. trust me, i've tried this, it sucks.

huawei is a gigantic company with hundreds of thousands of employees. it spends more on R&D than almost anyone else on the planet and was extremely motivated to fix this problem once trump destroyed their consumer business. they couldn't do it. meanwhile microsoft could barely get instagram to put an app in the windows phone store. samsung has no reason to do this. it's not happening
Huawei is forbidden from using anyone else's shit, Microsoft and Samsung aren't. Since they aren't, downloading the necessary dependencies when needed isn't impossible.

Windows Phone Store had no marketshare and no mindshare, Samsung has both of those. The circumstances being what they are, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to pull it off if they wanted to do it 10+ years from now.

Oct 30, 2017
bank apps have this issue

yep, good example

Huawei is forbidden from using anyone else's shit, Microsoft and Samsung aren't. Since they aren't, downloading the necessary dependencies when needed isn't impossible.

Windows Phone Store had no marketshare and no mindshare, Samsung has both of those. The circumstances being what they are, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to pull it off if they wanted to do it 10+ years from now.

you run into the same issues even if you try to install the play store on something like a kindle fire. google would not be minded to grant an exemption in this case given that samsung would essentially be forking the OS.

you're also not giving any reason why samsung would possibly consider this. what's in it for them, other than a bucket of cash from microsoft that wouldn't make up for the drop in sales (and if it did, it wouldn't be worth it for microsoft)?

i mean, 10 years from now, who the heck knows what the phone market's going to look like. but in 2023 there is no reason at all to think that this would be an obvious or good idea for either party

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, looking at the Gamepass catalog and comparing it to Amazon's I think there are hundreds of reasons that people interested in gaming might be inclined to put Xbox's store on their phones.

I think there's a near 0% chance that they'd be making these games exclusive. It's much more likely they'd enhance the experience for people that play through Xbox app.

I also don't think displacement is really a goal either. People can multi-home store apps just like they do video streaming apps.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
not surprising but they don't do well in the mobile space ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
not surprising but they don't do well in the mobile space ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They are purchasing pretty much the biggest F2P mobile games outside of Asia. I don't know how they want to use these GAAS games to run up against Apple Arcade and Google Play Pass which became almost the sole reason why non mtx games in the app stores exist.