• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Okay, so I understand this a little more. Azure simply isn't servers all over the world. It's an extremely complex ecosystem of tech like PowerBI, compliance, and security standards like SSO, Remote DC/AD, and insane database management. That and as you mentioned Azure have a global reach with remote farms that basically no one can touch.

All of these are key in growth and security for both the end users and Sony. PSNow right now can technically run games for a few thousand users, but there are reasons (like mentioned above) Sony has decided to start over.

Remote play has nothing to do with PSNow. It's basically LogMeIn/TeamViewer/Splashtop. Everything is rendered by the the users console.

My source? I work at the 2nd biggest Microsoft CSP, third in AWS. My clients are financial firms with nasty compliance and DR standards. I am AZ400 certified.

There are currently 700 000 PSNow subsribers which I would say is a lot more than "a few". And my comment wasnt about how many people could use it, I said it can technically stream every PS3 and PS4 game since it can and OP mentioned it currently has 750 games but that has nothing to do with technical limitations. This is why I commented in the first place, to address that.

PSNow is remotely accessing PS3's and PS4's and remote play uses the same technology. You can read about it here:

"On July 2, 2012, Sony announced that a formal agreement had been reached to acquire the company for $380 million USD with plans of establishing their own new cloud-based gaming service, as well as integrating streaming technology built by Gaikai into PlayStation products, resulting in PlayStation Now and Remote Play"

You don't need to sell me on Azure, I know it's great and never suggested otherwise. I will be using it shortly at work and have been researching it for months. I can still make an awful application that is hosted on Azure and so can Microsoft/Xbox. Like I said, just because XCloud will use Azure doesn't mean it will automatically be better.

And if you think I am saying PSNow will be better I am not, I am just saying you can't assume something will be better just because it is hosted on Azure or any other cloud infrastructure.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Like fucking clockwork. Y'all ever get tired of the same act in every thread that dares speak well of MS or Xbox?

It's all very blasé.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm really interested to know if it's actually a feature that X-Cloud can play Xbox One games.

One of the things I find compelling about Stadia is that it's a cloud-native platform. So where PS3 games streaming on PS Now have a lot of latency built into the OS-side processing, Google is going to be able to streamline the system to cut out latency between the system, the game code, and the rendered output. I wonder how X-Cloud will be limited by running games that have been designed for console hardware.

And all that is just about latency. There's also a possibility that Google has games utilizing multiple processing units to do beyond next-gen graphics. So even if the latency is a weakness vs consoles, a cloud native platform could provide enhanced fidelity even beyond a high-end PC.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Is this talking about Xbox-enhanced versions of games? I don't know how big the market is for streaming OG Xbox and 360 games at OG Xbox and 360-level graphics and performance.

I wouldn't want to stream Morrowind at 480p/15-30fps. Streaming the X1X's 4k/60fps version of the game... now that's something I would be interested in.

Oct 25, 2017
If you read what I said, I said in comparison ps now has 750 games streamable. Never said it can't do more.
Frankly, that's a stupid comparison and the reason why this thread is the way it is. If you're gonna do a "comparison", it should be of the same aspect, not different ones.

It's like someone making a thread saying PS4 has support for 10TB drives, and by comparison, xbox one ships with a 500GB drive. That comparison makes no sense. What is even the point of it.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You do realize that by improving PSNow Sony is partnering with Microsoft's Azure department right?
Actually there was no mention of "improving" PlayStation Now through Azure. It was more of potentially working with Microsoft to expand PlayStation Now's presence while leveraging their current deployment. Their current deployment is capable of handling 5 million subscribers; no mention if this is concurrently or not, though.

The information is publicly available via Sony's recent Investor Relations day.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Main issue for xcloud will be how they will make it easily available to customer's. Google has already nailed that down with Youtube integration.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I don't get why this thread turned to dog shit when in the end this will all depend on the content you choose to play?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Main issue for xcloud will be how they will make it easily available to customer's. Google has already nailed that down with Youtube integration.
Probably an iOS/Android app and then a PC version and Xbox etc. Pretty easy for them to get it out there. Also they will push it on Mixer no doubt and everything else they do.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Google can't stop people from putting xCloud links in Youtube if they wanted. But there's also always Twitter, Snapchat, Discord and Twitch.

Plus partnership with TV OEMs to preinstall an xCloud app, etc.

Jan 15, 2018
There are currently 700 000 PSNow subsribers which I would say is a lot more than "a few". And my comment wasnt about how many people could use it, I said it can technically stream every PS3 and PS4 game since it can and OP mentioned it currently has 750 games but that has nothing to do with technical limitations. This is why I commented in the first place, to address that.

PSNow is remotely accessing PS3's and PS4's and remote play uses the same technology. You can read about it here:

"On July 2, 2012, Sony announced that a formal agreement had been reached to acquire the company for $380 million USD with plans of establishing their own new cloud-based gaming service, as well as integrating streaming technology built by Gaikai into PlayStation products, resulting in PlayStation Now and Remote Play"

You don't need to sell me on Azure, I know it's great and never suggested otherwise. I will be using it shortly at work and have been researching it for months. I can still make an awful application that is hosted on Azure and so can Microsoft/Xbox. Like I said, just because XCloud will use Azure doesn't mean it will automatically be better.

And if you think I am saying PSNow will be better I am not, I am just saying you can't assume something will be better just because it is hosted on Azure or any other cloud infrastructure.
Psnow is dead end technology for streaming. Sony will eventually drop it in favor of something more suited to the platform and future needs.

If you read up on how xcloud works to solve specific problems with latency, you would realize the two are not in the same league.

You've tried to argue multiple points of view that sony could stream all of the ps3 and ps2 games. That it is the equivalent of xcloud or stadia, that people are assuming xcloud is better. How about you do some simple reseach to find out what makes it better? Or what people have said about the technology when demonstrated.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Untill you show me millions of people playing cod and other mp stuff over streaming keep your technical stuff to yourself. When its ready, bring it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I don't agree. He made a statement that was on topic and pertaining to the OP. *shrug*

The line about the quality of exclusive games on the platform was pure console warz though.

"But you won't be able to play them ten years from now"

This is highly unlikely. You'll always have BC going forward, and game binaries are relatively small.
You'll have a much bigger hurdle playing your physical disks in the future.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this means ALL OG Xbox games will be available PLS. And If not all of them, I NEED Burnout 3 Takedown to be on the service. Sort it out, Microsoft. PLEASE.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Comparing PS Now to X Cloud is laughable yet it's constantly brought up in these threads like it is an equal to X Cloud and Stadia. If PS Now is so amazing Sony wouldn't be investing so much in streaming for next gen.
This doesnt necessarily mean that the current solution is bad though. I'm sure that Microsoft will also invest a lot in their Azure platform etc. going forward. Sony is thinking that streaming will be a lot bigger going forward, compared to how it is today, so it makes sense to invest in that based on that, making it even bigger and better.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
The topic is about technical but yet OP need to include 750 available games for ps now for no reason at all. Indirectly make this thread a shit hole.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All of you upset at the PS Now mentions need to direct all that anger at the OP alone for saying "In comparison ps now has 750 streamable games" and not be upset when obvious shit is thrown at you, and the obvious shit is that PS Now can "technically" stream the entire Playstation family library, and that you can practically stream 0 games now on Xcloud and 1 one Scadia... So yeah, the info on the OP is meaningless for comparisons sake and it shouldn't have been made.

At first I even thought it was actually about technical limitations of the platform, like it could handle 3500 simultaneous games, but it's meaningless info. It's like the processing power of the cloud that can "technically" boost Xbox One games that eventually ended up being nothing. I'm even willing to bet that once Xcloud is released it won't even have those 3500 games on day one.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because Microsoft or many other companies has never implemented anything really poorly in the past while having simple logistics
We're not speaking about hypotheticals, xCloud exists and as a service has impressed Sony enough to incorporate it, there is no question of poor implementation, there would be no deal if that were the case. Now, IMO this will lead to PSNow being ditched or relegated as a legacy service because it's not as robust or capable as Sony's xCloud service, as well as 3rd parties coming on board as it'll mean easier integration between all console cloud services.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All your comments seem very defensive to the point of console wars. Makes me wonder why you even clicked on the topic.

What I think is Sony knows their service needs major restructuring and that is why they are now working with Microsoft. I imagine both Stadia and xCloud will offer a better experience until PSNow gets a reboot.

Stadia has already been previewed with Assassin's Creed and the feedback seems to indicate the experience was already better than PSNow.
The fact Eggman quoted FH4 is amusing because it was selling fantastically even though it was on gamepass.

There's a lot of hurt bottoms in here mainly because of some implied dig at Sony which does not exist in the announcement that's OP references. Sure there's nothing commercially available to test on xcloud today but nobody should be as sensitive to take theoretical potential as a threat.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're not speaking about hypotheticals, xCloud exists and as a service has impressed Sony enough to incorporate it, there is no question of poor implementation, there would be no deal if that were the case. Now, IMO this will lead to PSNow being ditched or relegated as a legacy service because it's not as robust or capable as Sony's xCloud service.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sonys deal (that isn't even an actual deal yet, it's just been all talk so far) is all about the Azure infrastructure and nothing really directly related to Xcloud. Isn't that the case? It's no different from using Amazons AWS. Sony wants more/better CDNs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
based off the discussion in this thread it seems the question is if the "can technically stream 3500 games" statement means that when the service goes up i will be really be able to play all those games (assuming i own them/pay for subscription model) or if they are just saying that because xcloud runs on an xbox one than it could run all the games that xbox one can run, even if only some of them will be activated/added to the service.
i assume it is the former, but i can see where the confusion comes from.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My point is that PS Now is not even on the same level of what X Cloud/ Stadia/ and whatever PS5 will use but people keep mentioning it as some kind of equal "ME TOO" thing. It's not even in the same league.

There is no stadia and x cloud at the moment. So how would you compare them. It's just system warrior bullshit. Every streaming service including Psnow need to prove themselves.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sonys deal (that isn't even an actual deal yet, it's just been all talk so far) is all about the Azure infrastructure and nothing really directly related to Xcloud. Isn't that the case? It's no different from using Amazons AWS. Sony wants more/better CDNs.

As I understand it, you are correct.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
All of you upset at the PS Now mentions need to direct all that anger at the OP alone for saying "In comparison ps now has 750 streamable games" and not be upset when obvious shit is thrown at you, and the obvious shit is that PS Now can "technically" stream the entire Playstation family library, and that you can practically stream 0 games now on Xcloud and 1 one Scadia... So yeah, the info on the OP is meaningless for comparisons sake and it shouldn't have been made.

At first I even thought it was actually about technical limitations of the platform, like it could handle 3500 simultaneous games, but it's meaningless info. It's like the processing power of the cloud that can "technically" boost Xbox One games that eventually ended up being nothing. I'm even willing to bet that once Xcloud is released it won't even have those 3500 games on day one.

How the heck is it meaningless information to learn that developers don't need to modify their games to work on xCloud, and to know that only licensing or contract issues keeps games off the service ?

There's also no basis for the bizarre comparison to the 'cloud power' claims.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
We're not speaking about hypotheticals, xCloud exists and as a service has impressed Sony enough to incorporate it, there is no question of poor implementation, there would be no deal if that were the case. Now, IMO this will lead to PSNow being ditched or relegated as a legacy service because it's not as robust or capable as Sony's xCloud service, as well as 3rd parties coming on board as it'll mean easier integration between all console cloud services.
You should probably read up a bit on what Azure is because your post makes absolutely no sense.

xCloud is not Azure, Azure is not xCloud.

Sony made a deal with Azure. Sony still need to implement the software application to run on Azure, it's not a "Sony's xCloud Service". PS Now is not being ditched, it will be adapted to be an Azure application instead of what it is now.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your understanding, as in using Azure to host their application, is correct and has no relation to Project xCloud.

Edit: Additionally, Sony also explained that Azure is just another provider and they will continue to leverage their current infrastructure being utilized for game streaming.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
based off the discussion in this thread it seems the question is if the "can technically stream 3500 games" statement means that when the service goes up i will be really be able to play all those games (assuming i own them/pay for subscription model) or if they are just saying that because xcloud runs on an xbox one than it could run all the games that xbox one can run, even if only some of them will be activated/added to the service.
i assume it is the former, but i can see where the confusion comes from.

It will of course come down to agreements from third party publishers. This is why I think both Stadia and xCloud will both struggle getting subscription models in place that would include all current gen games. I expect you will be able to buy them seperately. Who knows, this might also turn into a rental service as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google tries to go after something like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think the point of the post is to let people know that this isn't something that will be niche in the sense that no games will support it. Like, it very much seems like games and devs will be able to just port it over with complete ease.

I just wonder if/how the monetization will work with developers and what model they use. I think it would be really smart if Microsoft shed some light on that for industry pundits and insiders.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is redundant about it? You literally remotely access PS3 and PS4 hardware to play the games. The the games can run on PS4 or PS3 they can be played through PSNow. Do you have anything of value to actually add?

Yeah but that IS the problem with psnow. It uses actual old ass ps3 hardware and the ps4 hardware is hardly optimezed for datacenter blades. THAT is what xcloud does better. It us probably way more scalable and why sonys aims to replace psnow with some new azurebased service