• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No. You don't need Gold to play Xbox Live games online on PC and those count as active users. It also seems like every user that has used anything that connects to the Xbox Live servers counts as an active user, such as a Minecraft player playing the cross-play version that requires a Microsoft account to log in.
I was just about to ask, does this factor in Switch users?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Should expect the Xbox Live number to grow even more once devs start implementing Xbox Live into mobile games

Oct 25, 2017
Not like hardware makes money to begin with. I think MS would be happy wherever you chose to play their games }:‑)
If you play their games on PC, you're not paying the $60/year Gold subscription which is ridiculously profitable as it's free money to MS without them providing any service back to you.

I was just about to ask, does this factor in Switch users?
If they're playing Minecraft online, yes.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
FMI7qNm.png

"Offset in part by a decline in XBOX hardware of 33% Primarily due to a decrease in volume of consoles sold."

Since they specifically mentioned XBOX consoles and not peripherals, I referenced consoles.
Yes, but Xbox consoles are not down 33%. That is Xbox Hardware (console and accessories) revenue.
Xbox console units are down, too. But the exact percentage decline is not known.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Well, hopefully they nail the hardware side next gen. The whole division will be doing great then.

Judge

Oct 25, 2017
This will include mobile games that have Xbox achievments so not sounding great but not bad either.
The only mobile game that has Xbox Live right now is Minecraft, Solitaire and Wordament haha. Expect it to grow a lot once 3rd parties start adding it to games, and also once some of their first party games launch (Forza Street and Gears Pop)

Edit: also Xbox Live is going to be coming to Switch more (Cuphead, etc) and even Steam (MCC). Expect MS to continue to release games on these new markets to raise MAUs

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If you play their games on PC, you're not paying the $60/year Gold subscription which is ridiculously profitable as it's free money to MS without them providing any service back to you.

If they're playing Minecraft online, yes.
Like I bought State of Decay 2 on XBO S, and it's a Play Anywhere game. So I've been playing it on PC lately. Which means I can play it online on PC without having to pay for Gold?

Yeah...that Play Anywhere strategy also have it's cons from a business aspect.

I appreciate as a consumer tho.

Next gen will be interesting for MS, that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I bought State of Decay 2 on XBO S, and it's a Play Anywhere game. So I've been playing it on PC lately. Which means I can play it online on PC without having to pay for Gold?

Yeah...that Play Anywhere strategy does have it's cons from a business aspect.

I appreciate as a consumer tho.

Next gen will be interesting for MS, that's for sure.
Yes. If you have no Gold you can still play it online on PC. You just can't play on the Xbox console.

Judge

Oct 25, 2017
why would I buy a XBox if I can have their games on my PC?
That's a question MS needs to provide a good answer to.
They are more than happy to take your $$ on PC since you don't have a console anyways. They are still out "ahead" on you. They have lost nothing and gained whatever time and money you spent on their game in whatever marketplace you choose

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I bet they like gold money and that is something exclusive to Xbox console customers.

Of course, additional revenue is always welcome! But you're still in the Xbox ecosystem when there's a good chance you likely would've skipped it altogether. I think that's a win for the division. ^.^

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have not bought an Xbox this Gen, and I buy an Xbox every Gen.
I don't see this changing next gen.

See the 1X is the first Xbox I've ever owned (predominately PlayStation) and I'm really enjoying playing on it. In all honesty none of the MS exclusives are all that interesting to me, but they won me over with Game Pass. That service is ridiculously good value. If they keep that up going into next gen then I can see myself grabbing the next Xbox too along with a PS5.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That XBL users number seems incredibly small considering it probably counts all the windows 10 users who have signed up for an XBL account

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
You know, sometimes I read comments on these boards and I start to wonder do people actually want one of these companies to fail? It feels like certain people are trying to form a narrative that the sky is falling.

We need all of these companies to do well to make sure that we as consumers don't get screwed over (not to mention people could lose jobs). How is profit year over year an indicator of nothing but success which is good for every one?

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Positive results overall, and impressive diversification for such a powerful company.
Interested in that "unfavorable foreign currency impact" on operating income. Our market (Argentina) has relatively convenient prices in the Xbox store when compared to the current exchange rate, so I guess we are a factor, among others (Turkey?).

why would I buy a XBox if I can have their games on my PC?
That's a question MS needs to provide a good answer to.

They seem to be increasingly indifferent about which hardware do you play their games on, as long as you pay for some of their services. They would love to sell billions of consoles, of course, but they are the most hardware agnostic platform among the Big Three and their plans trascend the closed, plastic boxes of past generations.
Also, a significant portion of the market simply seems to prefer playing on a console rather than on a PC. That is my case, for example.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Agreed, Sony will be fine next gen, however, it depends on how expensive Microsoft is willing to go, we know that Microsoft did at a time seriously considered to buy EA, that shows how much Microsoft is serious about the future of gaming. Whether Sony wants to catch up and constantly buy companies like Take Two is a different question.

Publisher buyouts are risky, especially for MS, since a large portion of their consumer base are on different platforms. I can't see that happening for either, but I can see something like Sony funding a few third party exclusives to drum up PS5 hype early on.

I'm sure MS is willing to spend as they typically do to push the Xbox brand well into next gen, but they should anticipate that Sony will be retaliating a lot more this time around. People forget that the first few years of the PS4 had Sony still recovering from PS3 missteps and they didn't have 10+ million selling first party games releasing regularly like they do now. In that sense, Sony was at a financial disadvantage early on in competing for the market this gen.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, units sold is going to be pretty close to that -33% anyway. US sales are down 35%, ROTW won't be far behind that.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
You know, sometimes I read comments on these boards and I start to wonder do people actually want one of these companies to fail? It feels like certain people are trying to form a narrative that the sky is falling.

The funny thing is that this does not seem to relate mainly to progressive political positions, but rather to (as the Soulfly song said) new millenium tribal wars.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
When they say Xbox Live, they mean Gold right? As in 63M paying Gold members?
No, Xbox Live Active Users are users that have logged into Xbox Live. AFAIK the exact criteria was never released, but we can assume that those numbers include players that have launched a title at least once in the quarter.

Tbh, XBL Gold subscriptions are likely less than half of all Xbox One units sold. Least that's what I think.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
No, Xbox Live Active Users are users that have logged into Xbox Live. AFAIK the exact criteria was never released, but we can assume that those numbers include players that have launched a title at least once in the quarter.

Tbh, XBL Gold subscriptions are likely less than half of all Xbox One units sold. Least that's what I think.

Oh okay. Good to know. Thanks. But wait, does this number include Xbox 360? Or is it just Xbox One? Either way, Gold (and PS+) is easy money so I don't see either going anywhere. Thanks again.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh okay. Good to know. Thanks. But wait, does this number include Xbox 360? Or is it just Xbox One? Either way, Gold (and PS+) is easy money so I don't see either going anywhere. Thanks again.

This number includes Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 10, Minecraft on Switch and Xbox Live on iOS and Android.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not like hardware makes money to begin with. I think MS would be happy wherever you chose to play their games }:‑)
They really don't. Hardware itself might not be a profit maker but licensing fees for 3rd party software trumps all. The whole point of putting their games on PC is to get revenue from people who wouldn't have bought the hardware in the first place.