• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Interesting. Gaming revenue was actually lower than they expected. Looks like they hoped to sell more consoles and for 3rd party games to monetize better as well. They expect a lower yoy next quarter, too. Fantastic quarter all around regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Congratulations on finding Phil's loophole.

RapidDeadBinturong-size_restricted.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Oh okay. Good to know. Thanks. But wait, does this number include Xbox 360? Or is it just Xbox One? Either way, Gold (and PS+) is easy money so I don't see either going anywhere. Thanks again.

It includes Xbox 360 and any Xbox Live enabled game (Minecraft on iOS/Android/Switch, etc).

Gold isn't going away but a few of us believe the MP paywall will come down one day. ^.^

They really don't. Hardware itself might not be a profit maker but licensing fees for 3rd party software trumps all. The whole point of putting their games on PC is to get revenue from people who wouldn't have bought the hardware in the first place.
Agreed!

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm already amused watching people ITT act like they don't know selling hardware isn't the most important thing for Microsoft. Maybe it's a sport.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Surprisingly negative thread. Microsoft gaming grows YoY in XB1's twilight, despite not having boosted XB1X sales to prop it up like last year. Services performing very strongly. Guess that's a bad thing.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly negative thread. Microsoft gaming grows YoY in XB1's twilight, despite not having boosted XB1X sales to prop it up like last year. Services performing very strongly. Guess that's a bad thing.
"You see, it isn't selling better than PS4 and Switch, therefor I win."

I guess that means Pepsi should go away.

And Burger King.

And any cheese product not called Kraft.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
This number includes Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 10, Minecraft on Switch and Xbox Live on iOS and Android.

It includes Xbox 360 and any Xbox Live enabled game (Minecraft on iOS/Android/Switch, etc).

Gold isn't going away but a few of us believe the MP paywall will come down one day. ^.^

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. And yeah, I don't believe that the MP paywall will ever go away simply because they make way too much money off of it.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I've said this before but the rules of who "wins" seem to be changing. MS seem to be in a unique position to possibly get the most gaming revenue while actually selling less hardware.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018

Lots of old folks on this forum who haven't got the memo on how making fun of Microsoft is no longer a sign of a cool, discerning individual.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before but the rules of who "wins" seem to be changing. MS seem to be in a unique position to possibly get the most gaming revenue while actually selling less hardware.
Nop, most hardware sold = Win. And Is not going to change, if Microsoft was the number 1 selling hardware at this point, the PR was totally different.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There are alot of none xbox products included in those numbers. Linked in, github, surface and many others.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
why would I buy a XBox if I can have their games on my PC?
That's a question MS needs to provide a good answer to.

You obviously don't actually want this answer as it was provided by Microsoft literally years ago on gaming's biggest stage and reinforced countless upon countless times since. There is an entire Xbox brand initiative behind answering that very question.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Eh the increase includes windows 10. I bet it's almost all windows 10, and almost all of those are very casual gamers looking to play solitaire. I would love to see the actual numbers and be proved wrong though.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
33% drop in consoles sold? Losing momentum rapidly as next gen approaches. Revenue is good but growth is to be expected.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hardware is increasingly becoming irrelevant. Services is much more important than console sold.

If anything it's currently the complete opposite, the more hardware you can sell, the larger the install base through which to sell software, DLC, services, subscriptions etc. The success of Nintendo and Sony, in almost every category (hardware, software and services) make this abundantly clear.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
If anything it's currently the complete opposite, the more hardware you can sell, the larger the install base through which to sell software, DLC, services, subscriptions etc. The success of Nintendo and Sony, in almost every category (hardware, software and services) make this abundantly clear.

It's both. MS gaming division is profitable during a shit gen for them. That is a major coup. Other companies have failed to survive during these times. MS is growing and reloading.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It's both. MS gaming division is profitable during a shit gen for them. That is a major coup. Other companies have failed to survive during these times. MS is growing and reloading.
Do you have a source for the bolded statement? Cause to my knowledge Microsoft haven't released profit figures for the Gaming division this gen.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin

It's because Era has this weird hatred toward Xbox. Like, don't get me wrong, they absolutely botched this generation's launch and early years (up through the MCC launch), but in the year's following they've righted the ship.

It's this weird internet culture of wanting to see things fail rather than being happy when they succeed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable, they don't release profit/loss figures in their reports and haven't done for some time (unlike Nintendo and Sony). Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite, that Xbox has never been profitable, even this gen. With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today, though of course we can't know for sure.

Thurrott said:
Gaming is "growing profitably"? Wait. What?

One of the dirty little secrets of Microsoft's Xbox/gaming business is that it has never actually turned a profit. So I was curious to hear Mr. Nadella utter these contorted words last night: "Our gaming business is now more than $9 billion, and growing profitably." So. $9 billion is revenues, not profits. So growing means that revenues are growing. And growing profitably means … what? That the business is "becoming profitable"? Or is it just growing revenues positively? Was this a misstatement? What does that mean? Here's my guess. He means usage and engagement are growing. Because I can state this with certainty: Microsoft's gaming business is not profitable. In fact, it's undergoing a digital transformation of its own.

https://www.petri.com/paul-thurrotts-short-takes-microsoft-earnings-special-edition-7

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's because Era has this weird hatred toward Xbox. Like, don't get me wrong, they absolutely botched this generation's launch and early years (up through the MCC launch), but in the year's following they've righted the ship.

It's this weird internet culture of wanting to see things fail rather than being happy when they succeed.

Era is strange for this. I cant figure it out. It's like theres a load of the "egg bill gates" people still around but microsift haven't done anything wrong in the past few years and only seem to be going from strength to strength.