• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I wonder if the xbl number of users would get a boost once halo gets released on steam. Unless one's microsoft (store) account counts ad an xbl account?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable, they don't release profit/loss figures in their reports and haven't done for some time. Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite, that Xbox has never been profitable, even this gen..

https://www.petri.com/paul-thurrotts-short-takes-microsoft-earnings-special-edition-7
Isn't that from July 2017? why is it being referenced here in a 2019 report?
Yup. They've been doing really well, all divisions within the company seem to be going strong.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Amazing numbers!
They are making boatloads of money, holy hell.

Also, console sales don't really matter to MS anymore, it's all about the services.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this an article from July 2017?

Yes, but read my post again, there's nothing between 2017 and now that would imply a sudden turnaround, if anything it'd be even further removed due to heavy investments in Game Pass, xCloud, new acquisitions, R&D for next gen etc.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but read my post again, there's nothing between 2017 and now that would imply a sudden turnaround, if anything it'd be even further removed due to heavy investments in Game Pass, xCloud, new acquisitions, R&D for next gen etc.
so you are certain they aren't profitable? I ask cos MS doesn't release profit results for the other divisions either but we know MS is doing well all round and the results they posted yesterday are very strong.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
so you know they aren't profitable?

We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable, they don't release profit/loss figures in their reports and haven't done for some time (unlike Nintendo and Sony). Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite, that Xbox has never been profitable, even this gen. With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today, though of course we can't know for sure.

https://www.petri.com/paul-thurrotts-short-takes-microsoft-earnings-special-edition-7
He did say imply, so yes no one can say for certain. But the logic is easy to follow in addition to the source he provided.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable, they don't release profit/loss figures in their reports and haven't done for some time (unlike Nintendo and Sony). Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite, that Xbox has never been profitable, even this gen. With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today, though of course we can't know for sure.

When people say that they are generally referring to the hit they took on the OG XBOX and on RROD with 360. There is no mother fucking way on Earth that Nadella would have not only kept but grew the division and elevated it's leader if it wasn't profitable.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Whatever losses MS incur with Xbox means little in the grand scheme of things.

They wouldn't be investing like they are if the losses were substantial

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Microsoft are a clever company. Even if xbox isn't "profitable" that we have no evidence of truth. There will be massive gains from it. Xbox live is on switch and coming to more games on that platform. Gamepass is building numbers and wouldn't exist if it didn't make profit somewhere.

The analytics that these companies have access too is insane. Ms services are going from strength to strength. They will know if there investment is paying off. They may be getting a little "creative" with funding but we would never know.

Oct 25, 2017
Era is strange for this. I cant figure it out. It's like theres a load of the "egg bill gates" people still around but microsift haven't done anything wrong in the past few years and only seem to be going from strength to strength.
I still hate Microsoft for coming up with the idea of having to pay for a subscription to unlock your console's internet access. When gamers accepted it, it grew into a true cancer of consoles that infected Sony and Nintendo as well.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft are a clever company. Even if xbox isn't "profitable" that we have no evidence of truth. There will be massive gains from it. Xbox live is on switch and coming to more games on that platform. Gamepass is building numbers and wouldn't exist if it didn't make profit somewhere.

The analytics that these companies have access too is insane. Ms services are going from strength to strength. They will no if there investment is paying off. They may be getting a little "creative" with funding but we would never know.
It's all part of their plan to reach a wider audience and expand their reach into other regions. I hope it pays off big time. Nadella/Phil seem to be steering the ship in the right direction.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
When people say that they are generally referring to the hit they took on the OG XBOX and on RROD with 360. There is no mother fucking way on Earth that Nadella would have not only kept but grew the division and elevated it's leader if it wasn't profitable.
That's not true. Netflix, Sony during the PS3 era, will take short term losses and invest if the see area's for growth and long term profit. Also the source provided was from 2017. That would also allude to the gaming division not being profitable.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol. maybe you should teach me then? You are the one posting a July 2017 article and trying to suggest Xbox isn't profitable in 2019.

We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable

Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite,

With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today, though of course we can't know for sure.

And with respect to why we might be able to assume that Xbox still isn't profitable (beyond the fact that Microsoft still don't release Xbox profit/loss figures in reports), I've already stated why, but again, with the previous clarification that we simply can't know for sure.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree nib, we just wont know. With their continued support and push for services like gamepass they definitely see something there. Let's hope gamepass goes from strength to strength.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know that Microsoft's gaming division is profitable

Thurrot (well known tech and Microsoft insider) seems to imply the complete opposite,

With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today, though of course we can't know for sure.

And with respect to why we might be able to assume that Xbox still isn't profitable (beyond the fact that Microsoft still don't release Xbox profit/loss figures in reports), I've already stated why, but again, with the previous clarification that we simply can't know for sure.
Thurrot made that comment in 2017 and no one knows what it is today. You and I have no idea how the Xbox division runs and Thurrot hasn't commented since then, so I wouldn't really agree with anyone trying to imply anything today based on what an insider stated in 2017 and until MS does other wise we only have their financial reports to work with.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Honestly, Microsoft is doing so many things right that more people should jump onto the wagon. I think they will next gen with better exclusives and streaming services while everything is pretty much settled for this gen.

Nov 18, 2018
Thurrot made that comment in 2017 and no one knows what it is today. You and I have no idea how the Xbox division runs and Thurrot hasn't commented since then, so I wouldn't really agree with anyone trying to imply anything today based on what an insider stated in 2017 and until MS does other wise we only have their financial reports to work with.
Agreed. After looking over every comments and replies on this thread, it seems many are secretly hoping MS's Xbox brand would failed due to their personal vendetta or hatred against it. We as gamers should be happy that MS made a great recovery after the disastrous launch blunder to give us things like Gamepass, PlayAnywhere, BC/Enhanced BC, and the most powerful console ever. The last thing we need is MS pulling out of the gaming sector which will result in lack of innovation and competition to keep gaming healthy.

I, as a gamer with all the current consoles, cannot wait to see what the Xbox brand will take us with their new and expanded studios, xCloud and Anaconda (which many believe will be the most powerful console next gen).

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I still hate Microsoft for coming up with the idea of having to pay for a subscription to unlock your console's internet access. When gamers accepted it, it grew into a true cancer of consoles that infected Sony and Nintendo as well.

I appreciate the honesty. Question, do you hate Sony for following their lead and also charging for online once they righted the ship after the PS3's rocky start? We need these companies to all stay competitive because any of them would screw us without true competition.

The thing that seems to get lost is that these large international corporations answer to their shareholders, not fans. I don't even understand the idea of being a "fan" of a corporation. That seems so bizarre to me. Maybe because I am an attorney and have worked for a some of them my perspective is different. Everyone needs to understand, they dont care about you. All they want is your money.

Internally, they refer to us as consumers, not fans. Believe me, if any of them think of a new way to get more cash out of you, they will. Sony didn't come out changing for online because they had lost marketshare. Once they started "winning" again they changed that up on a dime and we paid for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the honesty. Question, do you hate Sony for following their lead and also charging for online once they righted the ship after the PS3's rocky start? We need these companies to all stay competitive because any of them would screw us without true competition.
Yes, I do. I did pay for PS Plus on the PS3 originally because the monthly games were a genuinely great deal. Now that they made it a mandatory subscription it's no longer good value so I'm switching to PC gaming and will not buy a PS5.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

I think you're having selective vision when it comes to his posts, or that you're intentionally misrepresenting his argument.

He described exactly why he thinks it's still unprofitable:

"With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today"

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're having selective vision when it comes to his posts, or that you're intentionally misrepresenting his argument.

He described exactly why he thinks it's still unprofitable:

"With recent acquisitions and Game Pass etc, I'd imagine that is still the case today"
Selective vision? OK. I thought I was done with that discussion , anyway I think my previous post is quite clear and until we get any info stating otherwise it's all hearsay, rumors and assumptions being made so I will be going with the info presented in MS's quarterly reports for now.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Selective vision? OK. I thought I was done with that discussion , anyway I think my previous post is quite clear and until we get any info stating otherwise it's all hearsay, rumors and assumptions being made so I will be going with the info presented in MS's quarterly reports for now.

Well yes it is speculation but that's all we got since the info we're talking about isn't being presented in MS' reports lol

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MSFT is a trillion dollar company and the overall Xbox brand is becoming their preeminent consumer facing brand which leverages all the cloud work they are doing otherwise.

Why are we trying to determine if it is profitable? They are investing heavily and show no signs of letting up. They doubled down when they could have folded ship and Spencer has been promoted.

Xbox as a console and brand aren't going anywhere.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MSFT is a trillion dollar company and the overall Xbox brand is becoming their preeminent consumer facing brand which leverages all the cloud work they are doing otherwise.

Why are we trying to determine if it is profitable? They are investing heavily and show no signs of letting up. They doubled down when they could have folded ship and Spencer has been promoted.

Xbox as a console and brand aren't going anywhere.
Fucking this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That cloud and gaming r&d cost is interesting. LOL @ doom and gloom at this juncture of the generation.

They're preparing big for the shift taking place with the industry next gen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, was posted earlier.

CyYAQyX.png

FMI7qNm.png

Mns9NZJ.png

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
63m users per month counting W10 as well seems somewhat low? W10 Live users means Windows Shop?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Xbox has rarely been profitable for MS, and that continues to today.

Does that matter? Not really, no. MS has doubled down on gaming because they believe they have found a path to sustained profitability, and are on the ground floor of a huge expanding market they can take a big chunk out of.

As long as MS continues to see that path forward, individual quarter profitability is a secondary concern.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has rarely been profitable for MS, and that continues to today.

Does that matter? Not really, no. MS has doubled down on gaming because they believe they have found a path to sustained profitability, and are on the ground floor of a huge expanding market they can take a big chunk out of.

As long as MS continues to see that path forward, individual quarter profitability is a secondary concern.
This is said in a way that is purposefully vague.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much their investment in Xbox will be going into next gen. it's going to be amazing to watch.

MS obviously sees huge value in Xbox and gaming as a whole and will be going all in, that's all that matters and besides the company as a whole is doing extremely well. worth 1TR now. They have to be doing a lot right to keep growing this fast, staying healthy and keeping investors pretty satisfied. The changes they've made over these past months and Phil now a member of the senior leadership team all bodes well for the future of Xbox.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/microsoft-q3-2019-earnings.html
Microsoft hits $1 trillion market cap after earnings beat estimates

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not really. Over the course of the Xbox's existence, there have been quarters (and even a few years I think) where the division has turned a profit. As far as I know, it's been a while since one of those quarters.

Today, MS is back to investing pretty heavily in Xbox, and that, combined with aggressive hardware prices and the costs of running programs like Game Pass before they reach a critical mass of users means quarterly profit is not a priority, just like it isn't for most growing tech companies.

This is not a bad thing. It is better for the future of the business to focus on growth rather than profit.