• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
1*k3I0rXtvYVxw_TQIpjAFxA.jpeg

The evolution of Word.

Lot of text at the link, but who cares here are the pictures:

1*W50NwOOybw55ePEwe97zpg.jpeg

https://medium.com/microsoft-design...s-to-embrace-a-new-world-of-work-91d72608ee8f

I like it.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
They make sense. I'll look forward to when my large corporation very focused on data security and proven platforms adopts the next version of office in 2025 so I can see them.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of them make me think of those paint sample things. But I like them

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
useless.

i can't tell you how many times i've been work drunk(delirious from too many tasks on top of tasks) and the only thing that can help me find the goddamn text document app is the little document-like icon behind the W.

Now they're taking that way from me, is just in line with MS Office becoming LESS helpful over the decades and not more.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not bad but I think the 2013 ones have more character.

Still, pretty good considering the godawful appearance of most modern icon and logo updates.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those 2003 logos are honestly the best. These look a little too busy and lose the uniform shape that made the most recent batch of logos good.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
2010 still the best Outlook logo. If someone could help me revert my Office 365 Outlook start bar logo to 2010, I would be greatly appreciative!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I miss the OG logos, but this is an acceptable balance between the modern GUI model of "abstract everything to remove any notion of interaction metaphor to the user" and the ol' reliable model of "it's a fucking word processor for chrissakes" -- it doesn't work too well outside of the context of the Excel and PowerPoint icons tho

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
The first look at Outlook's icon and I was surprised it wasn't yellow. Then I look at Outlook being open on my work machine and realise that the current icon is also blue. Thought I had a Mandela effect moment, but looking at the article shows that Outlook's icon used to be yellow, so I'm quite happy that I'm not going mad, or jumping between dimensions. Would have preferred it to be yellow again though.

That being said, I like the look of the new icons.

Edit: I see a couple of posters above me are people of culture too.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you didn't know what these were already you'd never be able to guess from the icon. I don't know if that's a problem or not, but I feel like it is.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're fine. Office icons are never really memorable but always recognizable, so I guess they get the job done.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good to me.

Skypes new logo kinda sticks out like a sore thumb with the different font for the S.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that 2007 icon was bad. And 2010 wasn't much better.

New ones are good except that Outlook needs to be a different color than Word (since they aren't related at all).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too much blue.

What's the Y thing?

Can Microsoft just absorb Skype and make it not crap. It's like people still use it but we wish it would die so we will leave the Skype team alone.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good. As an IT person who sees the icons on a million time basis a day, I like it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind the others but this is fine too. Still Office-y looking, imo. So they got that going for them!

They're...dare I say it, iconic.

ekekekeee

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks good. maybe my company will buy it in 20 years. I just wanna open separate application windows man...

sobs in 2010

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I think I still prefer the 2013 versions, because the gradient thing is a bit busy, but I otherwise kinda like them. Seems weird that there are so many blue ones, though. Seems like they would stand out more and be more readable at a glance if they were different colors.