• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
UPDATE:**THERE'S NO LIVE CHAT AVAILABLE FOR MY COUNTRY!**
Got in touch with U.S. live chat by switching region. The issue have been resolved.
They were "kind enough" to give me an "one time exemption" and provide a refund for a pre-order. A game I've literally not even installed.

So yeah where to begin.

I pre ordered Sea of Thieves on Microsoft Store (yes I know, this was the greatest mistake of them all), last week I noticed my card had been charged but the game isn't even out yet.

So I go to their support site and wonder if I can even cancel it still. And much to my surprise I couldn't. The option to cancel the order was no longer there despite the game still not being released.

Alright, so they must have some kind of support ticket system right? NOPE!
The only thing on their website is a number you have to call for personal assistance. So how bad could that be you may ask?

Well pretty fucking bad, before you even reach and employee a precorded message tells you, that by accepting the call you consent to Microsoft using any information shared in the call with third parties. That means, your email, credit card detail, phone numbers etc.

So I think fuck that, these money is probably just lost or I may play the game for a bit or whatever.

I end on the Microsoft Support reddit where I get in touch with a moderater. He made a support ticket and now they want me on call with a senior engineer to resolve my "issue".

At this point I'm completely flabbergasted, what kind of hard drugs are they doing to think this is at all the right way to do refunds? For a game that isn't even goddamn released yet?

After having used the new refund system on Steam there's just no way I'm ever in my life going to bother with this crap again.

If this message can serve as a warning to any crazy individual on the fence about using Microsoft Store, my recommendation is: Don't, just fucking don't.

Last edited:

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn man this sounds like it took you longer to write this rant than it did to resolve the issue with microsoft

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Use the chat option. I got charged for a Games with Gold title a couple weeks back and got a refund with no hassle.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Ugh getting a refund on the phone is super easy. If you want to go all tin foil hat thats your business, but dont act like this is mission impossible.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a refund on my Far Cry 5 preorder in less than 5 min and I didn't have to jump through hoops

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you're doing everything possible to make this relatively simple process as complex and convoluted as possible for no good reason.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Never had a problem getting a refund from MS Store. Too bad you had so much trouble - that sucks.
But there was no trouble. The game comes out in a week so you cant cancel it from the website anymore (it says that when you preorder). He got scared of the telemarketer boogie man and hung up the phone, didnt use the chat option, and went to reddit of all places.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Click Get Started and enter "Speak to Live Agent". Type in your problem and they'll get you queued up for a Live Chat Support agent.
There is no live agent or chat available to me as a Danish citizen. My option is calling or raising the issue to a senior engineer. I wish I was kidding.

I'm guessing you can easily cancel on the website if you pre-order way ahead, but that option goes away once they've already charged your credit card.

I refuse to share my sensitive information with "third parties" so calling their normal support is not an option either.

I wish I was kidding or "making it hard", but I'm not.
Trouble he brought on himself and the best part is that he thinks he is in the right here. Aye lmao.
I'm confused here, do you think it's reasonable having to share sensitive information with undisclosed "third parties" in order to receive support on a super simple issue? An issue that is literally 4 clicks with the competition?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
There is no live agent or chat available to me as a Danish citizen. My option is calling or raising the issue to a senior engineer. I wish I was kidding.

I'm guessing you can easily cancel on the website if you pre-order way ahead, but that option goes away once they've already charged your credit card.

I refuse to share my sensitive information with "third parties" so calling their normal support is not an option either.

I wish I was kidding or "making it hard", but I'm not.

Did you try this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/da-dk/contactus/

At the very bottom on the page they have country links.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I did, and it's kinda confusing people think I didn't. There's no live chat. There's not even an email you can write, there's only a number to call.

That's why I went to reddit, and btw it's an official support channel, that was the only way I got in touch.

Look at this email they send me after I got in touch with them on reddit:
insaneemailm7ovt.jpg

Compare that shit to how you refund a game on Steam and tell me again this is in any way shape or form "good".
It's pretty hilarious they even call this "Quick Assistance", gotta admit I chuckled at that.

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Steam has an awesome refund system that is unmatched on any other platform. I mean you can play the damn game and then decide. That's a relatively new thing though. Act like you were around when Steam started.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
OP is allergic to phones.

USE THE PHONE.
I'm not opposed to support on the phone. I am however opposed to the terms you have to agree to in order to receive support on the phone with Microsoft.
Steam has an awesome refund system that is unmatched on any other platform. I mean you can play the damn game and then decide. That's a relatively new thing though. Act like you were around when Steam started.
I suppose you're right, maybe I'm spoiled by Steam. But I also feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to go through this shit to refund me my money on a digital item that haven't even released yet.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
You choose to wait until now to cancel, there is a simple one button option to cancel if you do it 10 days prior to the games release. Your procrastination is what is requiring the extra leg work. You're not a victim here.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You choose to wait until now to cancel, there is a simple one button option to cancel if you do it 10 days prior to the games release. Your procrastination is what is requiring the extra leg work. You're not a victim here.
You can see it that way - knowing what I know now I'm just never going to bother with it again, why do it when there's Steam.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, you really interpreted that "sharing information with third parties" message to the absolute broadest, eh.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Microsoft isn't giving your credit card details to 3rd parties.
Probably not but how can I know for sure? Their "silent consent" message you receive prior to going on support call is extremely vague. I'm paraphrasing but they basically tell you that any information shared in the call can and or will be used with third parties. If you don't agree they tell you to hang up. You have no other options.
They tell you this when you preorder a game. Nothing about seeing it my way.
Sure, but I also know that smooth and easy customer service is a surefire way of me being comfortable using a service again.

What if the game launched and it didn't work on my PC, I would still have go through this garbage for a refund.

Again, when you experience actual customer service you know that this sure as fuck aint it.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm not opposed to support on the phone. I am however opposed to the terms you have to agree to in order to receive support on the phone with Microsoft.

I suppose you're right, maybe I'm spoiled by Steam. But I also feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to go through this shit to refund me my money on a digital item that haven't even released yet.

The third parties you are being advised on are likely business partners that handle the customer support side of things. This isn't an uncommon thing.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not but how can I know for sure? Their "silent consent" message you receive prior to going on support call is extremely vague. I'm paraphrasing but they basically tell you that any information shared in the call can and or will be used with third parties. If you don't agree they tell you to hang up. You have no other options.

if you figure out anything I'd be interested. I think it's just a standard message you hear on any company you contact. I did a support call recently with MS regarding my Surface Book.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The third parties you are being advised on are likely business partners that handle the customer support side of things. This isn't an uncommon thing.
I'm not new to tech, customer service or anything of the sort and this is the first time I'm hearing this. I'm starting to think this is an American thing more than anything considering the responses in here...
You can't get Sea of thieves on steam.
Couldn't get Mass Effect 3 on Steam either. Sometimes the hassle is just not worth the game.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but I also know that smooth and easy customer service is a surefire way of me being comfortable using a service again.

What if the game launched and it didn't work on my PC, I would still have go through this garbage for a refund.

Again, when you experience actual customer service you know that this sure as fuck aint it.

So call and just don't disclose your credit card if you are that uneasy. I am sure they can process your refund without you having to give that up.

If you don't want your info to be exposed to third parties you might as well shut down your computer now. Your information is everywhere you just don't know it.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not new to tech, customer service or anything of the sort and this is the first time I'm hearing this. I'm starting to think this is an American thing more than anything considering the responses in here...

Couldn't get Mass Effect 3 on Steam either. Sometimes the hassle is just not worth the game.
it's a common sense thing, more than anything.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I got a refund from MS it took a couple of minutes over live chat.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

I have gotten great customer service from them. There was a mistake where they charged me for a month of live when i called they gave me an extra three months for their mistake. Because I wasnt afraid to talk to a real life person.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i guess it was bad luck, i asked for refund twice last year and was really an awesome support, very fast and objective.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
I got a refund for Battlefront 2015 and it was super simple to do, but it seems recently (like within a year) they changed their refund policy and how they handle it, especially for pre-orders. I noticed this as well with Sea of Thieves when I was going to switch my pre-order over to Amazon instead.

So I'm curious anyone commenting "I never had any problems / it was very quick for me in the past" - how long ago was it exactly because it seems like things may have changed and your past experience does not necessarily equate to what you can expect at this moment.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Just pointing out steam is a terrible alternative in the context of your OP. Their refund system would've done you no favors here.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just pointing out steam is a terrible alternative in the context of your OP. Their refund system would've done you no favors here.
Uhhh no. I've refunded several games that I had already played on my account. You don't even have to talk to anybody. You simply put in the request and some 12-24 hours later your purchase is refunded unless you played the game 2 hours or more.

So yes, if this had happened on Steam there would have been no issues.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So, here's my question. Do you still want the game? Because it sounds like you were more upset about your card being charged before the game came out....

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
As someone who works in customer service, the OP's consternation over not receiving an immediate refund before speaking with a customer service rep made me chuckle.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Never had a problem with MS customer service. They are actually pretty exceptional compared to Sony's for instance

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty sure EU law requires them to give you a refund for a product you haven't recieved yet, but that doesn't mean it has to be a no-call system. Just call them, you don't have to reveal any private info if you don't want to (though it's weird to be paranoid about it, as they already have it, and it wouldn't surprise me if in their terms of service you already gave them permision to share that info)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can totally understand OP, I once called them because I needed a new psu for my 360 and the first thing they tell me is they need my xbox account and my credit card number. Never mind I don't have credit card nor that I wouldn't have given them this info even if I had just because I needed a new part for one of their products.

Did buy used from a third party seller then, but this experience was enough for me to never try to call them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.