• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018

So, basically, MS yearly revenue would be enough to swallow whole Sony AND Nintendo xD (yeah, it's revenue not profit, just wanted to put that number into perspective)
They didn't do all this work to cut everything off at the end of the gen that would be madness

Agree, it wouldn't make any sense to not take advantage of this (also Game Pass would loose all it's library and I think the service it's the entire point of their renewed investment in 1st Party)

I'm fully expecting Xbox 4 to be backwards compatible with Xbox One but here's my main issue with backwards compatibility. It's not "true" backwards compatibility and by this, I mean that you can't just pop in an Xbox One game disc say for example, the upcoming AC Odyssey or RDR 2 and it would work. For me, I want to see Microsoft and/or Sony implement backwards compatibility like it was on PlayStation 2. You can pop in any PSone disc and boom, it simply works and you can play it. Back then, I had PS2 and a bunch of PSone games like MGS, RE 2, Fear Effect 1 and 2 and a few others that I don't remember but what was awesome was the simple fact that you don't need the game to be licensed / approved / patched or whatever to play it. You just put in the game disc and boom, you're playing it.

That's what I want to see. Doesn't matter if it's Microsoft and/or Sony. If you own the disc from the previous gen, you simply insert it, game installs and you play it. If it's digital and tied to your account/user name, you simply download it and play it. Backwards Compatibility has been great for everyone this generation and even I was able to catch up on some games that I missed out on last generation but half of them was the Gears trilogy which was published and owned by Microsoft so getting all of their published games is a given. Same with Sony for next gen.

But I want to see the third party games just be backwards compatible day one. No approval, no patch, no license fee or some shit. No. Just put the disc in or re-download it. While it's probably a lot more complicated than what im saying, in short, I simply want it to be like PS2 BC. To me, that's the best way because you not only have every previous gen game available to you, they're all available to you DAY ONE. Not a year later. Not five years later. Nope. DAY ONE.

Granted, I don't see this happening whatsoever but is what I would like to see Microsoft/Sony do for next gen in regards to backwards compatibility simply because this would be better than what it currently is.

It would have indeed benefits if implemented this way but I'm not sure licenses work the same way they worked in the PS2 era. Maybe by that time they were tied to platform holder but not they are tied to the sustem itself and they would have to reach agreements nontheless.
Also I'm not sure disk-based BC would be able to give us the enhancements we've got thanks to using emulation and I really like playing my favourite games "better" for free

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should really invest in the China market and developper from there .
They have some nice game in
development : https://www.resetera.com/threads/lo...tation-booth-at-chinajoy.56621/#post-10589017
Microsoft already have a 49% ownership in a Chinese company, E-Home Entertainment, in conjunction with BesTV who owns 51%. They focus more on indie games, So I agree they could help invest even MORE, but they have been doing so since 2014

https://news.microsoft.com/2014/04/30/bestv-and-microsoft-to-bring-xbox-one-to-china-in-september/

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about especially niche, didn't it sell a million as of 2016? I seem to remember hearing about some numbers back then.

There's a tweet from Phil Spencer from back in 2016 where he said they have made their 1 millionth Elite controller. We don't have any figures other than that I can find.

The scarcity of Elite controllers as of late has been strange, so maybe not especially niche but it's definitely a product aimed at a smaller market.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the imminent release of No Man's Sky on Xbox, I wonder if Microsoft wouldn't consider buying Hello Games. They're an extremely talented team that could probably do wonders with the resources an acquisition would allot them.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
man the new rewards are shit for brazil at least

i get maybe a new task worth 10 points every three days. i need 1800 fucking points to redeem a fucking five R$ gift card

thought xbox rewards was bad but now i'm seeing what hell truly looks like. thanks for nothing microsoft

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man the new rewards are shit for brazil at least

i get maybe a new task worth 10 points every three days. i need 1800 fucking points to redeem a fucking five R$ gift card

thought xbox rewards was bad but now i'm seeing what hell truly looks like. thanks for nothing microsoft

I have to agree on that front. If you were only using the rewards app on Xbox, you'll get next to nothing without buying games during the offers they throw up. Bing on Edge/mobile continues to be the best way to use the program if it's available.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
no bing stuff for us sadly

sigh. they were starting to get on a good-ish path with the myvip gems stuff, they only needed to make the rewards actually be avaliable instead of out of stock all the time. then they throw everything out of the window for this. dont even know if im going to bother anymore

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully fables totally rebooted that corny humor farts etc thing of the past
despicable-me-what-gif.gif

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't think owning Chinese companies is something Western firms can actually do? China's protectionist streak is pretty strong. Minority ownership is about the best they can do, usually done so Chinese firms can siphon tech.
Boooooooooo

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
343i hired Paul Crocker who also was part of the Rockstead narrative team and Martin Lancaster is like you're saying currently working on the ARPG project.
Well Paul left Rocksteady a long time ago, went to work at WB Montreal but it seemed like he was being wasted with how much development trouble they were having. But yeah Arkham Knights lead writer, also wrote the Arkham VR game, Crysis 1&2 and I think a Killzone game?

Oct 26, 2017
I agree about Fable. Personally I am hoping it's a completely different thing that what we've had before. Surprise us. Humor can be in but those expressions are bullshit.

Jabo

Oct 25, 2017
Farting and belching can go, but I need that thumbs up panacea to make everyone love me again

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, Fable without the humor isn't Fable. There are a very very few things that absolutely have to be in a Fable reboot and that particular brand of humor is one. Although, I do agree, the farts in particular can probably go.

Two other things that I would consider "it ain't Fable then" features are light/dark good/bad dynamic and young-to-old mechanic and storyline.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm expecting the new Fable to be Fable in name only. The Molyneuxness will be gone.

Personally I hope there is some humour, as I hate games that take themselves too seriously (HZD!). But equally we could do without the crude humour and fart jokes - it's not British humour it's just lame.

That said, I do hope the protagonist farts occasionally as I'd hate the thought of them being bloated.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Does anyone think the new studios games will launch next gen, or are people thinking they will be cross gen? I would think they'd be at least playable on xbox one x, though some people think there wouldn't be games playable on x but not on base hardware, it's tough to say, but if I had to guess state of decay 3 is next gen, ninja theory's game is next gen, the initiative and compulsion games are obviously next, and fable from playground is next gen too.

So I am thinking for the rest of this gen (2019 and possibly first half of 2020 I doubt scarlet is 2021) they'll have: Horizon 4, Crackdown 3, Ori will of the wisps, Forza Motosport 8, Age of empires 4, Gears tactics, Battletoads, Gears 5 and Halo infinite. Does anyone agree, do you guys see them bringing more games this gen still? I don't and that's fine. Do you guys see that list as enough for the rest of this gen?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Does anyone think the new studios games will launch next gen, or are people thinking they will be cross gen? I would think they'd be at least playable on xbox one x, though some people think there wouldn't be games playable on x but not on base hardware, it's tough to say, but if I had to guess state of decay 3 is next gen, ninja theory's game is next gen, the initiative and compulsion games are obviously next, and fable from playground is next gen too.

So I am thinking for the rest of this gen (2019 and possibly first half of 2020 I doubt scarlet is 2021) they'll have: Horizon 4, Crackdown 3, Ori will of the wisps, Forza Motosport 8, Age of empires 4, Gears tactics, Battletoads, Gears 5 and Halo infinite. Does anyone agree, do you guys see them bringing more games this gen still? I don't and that's fine. Do you guys see that list as enough for the rest of this gen?
The only one I think that has a chance of putting a game out this gen is Ninja Theory. Phil said at E3 that they had started working on their new project when Hellblade shipped and were further along in development that a studio like The Initiative that was still in pre-production and getting the logistics of a new studio figured out. If we assume Ninja Theory used their whole team (after the success of Hellblade) and were following up Hellblade with another shorter/smaller experience, they could have something to show at E3 next year and be ready to ship in early 2020. If they were that close, I still think Microsoft would have them just push their release to Fall of 2020 to launch with the next Xbox, but I do think it is a bit telling that Phil mentioned it.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I have been of the belief that Nextbox first-part games will be fully compatible with One X for 2-3 years at the least. The optimist in me thinks they will be fully compatible throughout the gen.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The only one I think that has a chance of putting a game out this gen is Ninja Theory. Phil said at E3 that they had started working on their new project when Hellblade shipped and were further along in development that a studio like The Initiative that was still in pre-production and getting the logistics of a new studio figured out. If we assume Ninja Theory used their whole team (after the success of Hellblade) and were following up Hellblade with another shorter/smaller experience, they could have something to show at E3 next year and be ready to ship in early 2020. If they were that close, I still think Microsoft would have them just push their release to Fall of 2020 to launch with the next Xbox, but I do think it is a bit telling that Phil mentioned it.
Agreed.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I have been of the belief that Nextbox first-part games will be fully compatible with One X for 2-3 years at the least. The optimist in me thinks they will be fully compatible throughout the gen.
I kind of agree, but at some point I think microsoft will cut the base xbox one off, the question is if they would still develop xbox one x games at that point, I have no idea.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with this thread for probably about a month or so lol. Did I miss out on any significant rumors or announcements or anything?
Nothing significant. However Gamescom is just around the corner. We're just speculating on what potential studios could be acquired, and what the current new teams could do for first party.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the vast lore and story you could draw from simply having the IP name 'Fable' .. yet we're remembering it for the farts. That doesn't exactly scream a pillar franchise to me.

I for one want a full fat reboot of the franchise, humour can still be in there in it's own way. PG should create their own vision of the world.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the vast lore and story you could draw from simply having the IP name 'Fable' .. yet we're remembering it for the farts. That doesn't exactly scream a pillar franchise to me.

I for one want a full fat reboot of the franchise, humour can still be in there in it's own way. PG should create their own vision of the world.
For me, Fable is more about aesthetic and some of the ways that interacted with mechanics than "lore," but it did have its own identity in that way. Demon Doors, Will tattoos (hell, calling it Will instead of magic), Tarot-esque symbolism, some of the enemies like Hobs and Balverines, and, yeah, the humor, which was sometimes crude but woven pretty tightly into most everything.

I guarantee you that the reveal trailer/teaser will involve kicking a chicken.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Fable for me is the humor, the aesthetics, the lore, and the immersive gameplay (if you will). You could have a family (still ticked you couldn't marry Page though), a child, you could steal, you could be evil or good, etc. I want that freedom again, and for proper choices and consequences (which Fable greatly impressed me with).

Personally, I say keep the lore, but go all the way back to around the time of the founding of the Heroes Guild. The Golden Age of Heroes would be the perfect time to set PG's Fable in. It will keep a lot of the world lore, while avoiding future events and keeping a good amount of time away from Lionhead's games as well. There's at least several hundred years of empty space there. If they add co-op (can't seem them not doing that), having co-op would be easy lore wise as it would be just another Hero from the Heroes Guild.

I like the lore of Fable, and it's one reason I don't want a complete reboot of it. A Fable game that is a complete reboot and has no attachment to the series is one of the worst things you can do to the franchise. While PG should have a lot of freedom, throwing everything out isn't worth it, especially since there's enough room for them to work anyways.

They should definitely rework the gameplay to be fluid and play really well, while also looking nice though.

If PG doesn't do a complete reboot, does anyone think all of Albion will be included, or just sections of it?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fable for me is the humor, the aesthetics, the lore, and the immersive gameplay (if you will). You could have a family (still ticked you couldn't marry Page though), a child, you could steal, you could be evil or good, etc. I want that freedom again, and for proper choices and consequences (which Fable greatly impressed me with).

Personally, I say keep the lore, but go all the way back to around the time of the founding of the Heroes Guild. The Golden Age of Heroes would be the perfect time to set PG's Fable in. It will keep a lot of the world lore, while avoiding future events and keeping a good amount of time away from Lionhead's games as well. There's at least several hundred years of empty space there. If they add co-op (can't seem them not doing that), having co-op would be easy lore wise as it would be just another Hero from the Heroes Guild.

I like the lore of Fable, and it's one reason I don't want a complete reboot of it. A Fable game that is a complete reboot and has no attachment to the series is one of the worst things you can do to the franchise. While PG should have a lot of freedom, throwing everything out isn't worth it, especially since there's enough room for them to work anyways.

They should definitely rework the gameplay to be fluid and play really well, while also looking nice though.

If PG doesn't do a complete reboot, does anyone think all of Albion will be included, or just sections of it?
Going back to the Guild of Heroes' heyday makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. It gives them the opportunity to do a reboot that doesn't feel like a reboot, since they could just set it before all the other games, it lets them do more classical fantasy elements rather than having to deal with the slightly off-kilter "we've killed all the wizards and heroes" thing the other two games had going on, etc. Allows for easier co-op too, like you've said. Would love to see stuff like the Boasts system make a comeback as well, lots of potential there. Personally, though, I would have them do some obvious retinkering so they can move forward without being bound by prior canon. Have Jack of Blades running around or something.
-
I don't know about all of Albion, but then, it's never had particularly consistent geography. Just went looking up maps of the place and it totally changes between the games. So they've got a lot of freedom on that front to do as they please. I'd imagine that they'd want to do minimal loading screens, but also present a lot of variety in terms of location. Something like TW3 would be a good balance to strike, with large, open-world zones that feel reasonably distinct from each other and offer decent internal variety.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Going back to the Guild of Heroes' heyday makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. It gives them the opportunity to do a reboot that doesn't feel like a reboot, since they could just set it before all the other games, it lets them do more classical fantasy elements rather than having to deal with the slightly off-kilter "we've killed all the wizards and heroes" thing the other two games had going on, etc. Allows for easier co-op too, like you've said. Would love to see stuff like the Boasts system make a comeback as well, lots of potential there. Personally, though, I would have them do some obvious retinkering so they can move forward without being bound by prior canon. Have Jack of Blades running around or something.
-
I don't know about all of Albion, but then, it's never had particularly consistent geography. Just went looking up maps of the place and it totally changes between the games. So they've got a lot of freedom on that front to do as they please. I'd imagine that they'd want to do minimal loading screens, but also present a lot of variety in terms of location. Something like TW3 would be a good balance to strike, with large, open-world zones that feel reasonably distinct from each other and offer decent internal variety.
Exactly, it's their best bet and probably saves them time as well (after all, they aren't as big as they need to be yet). I don't think Lionhead had very many employees to be honest (maybe 100 - 150), so 200+ should definitely help PG. More time will help as well, and with that, I think PG's second Fable game will be the best since they'll have all of those employees and their gameplay nailed down.

As for the world, something like Witcher is certainly possible, but what I mean is from PG's first Fable game, to their second. To me, that would be like having an Elder Scrolls game set 20 years later with nearly the same geography (I feel like in PG's Fable it would be weirder as less time passes and it's more open world than Lionhead's Fable). The country of Albion looks relatively small though and as there's probably much up north (well east in Fable 2), they could expand there eventually. I'm not saying get out of Albion completely, but there are other countries in the universe they could expand to for a game or so. I also don't think PG will skip time like Lionhead did.

The concept of Skorm and Avo came about 400 years before Fable 1 by a Merchant. I think around that time would be best.

Here's a small amount of the known regions and countries in the Fable Universe. They could easily expand.

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer this. Have the first game set in Albion, and then the future games in their own regions (like how TES does it). There's apparently Heroes Guilds all over. This doesn't mean though that I wouldn't like a hub to one of the old cities though. Like PG's Fable 2 would take place in the Eastern Kingdom and you could travel back to a hub of Bowerstone or Oakvale.

Last edited:

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've played all of the main series Fable games and was in love with the series dating back to when it was Project Ego, but I have no clue what the Lore is and if I did, I certainly dont remember it.

I truly want PG to completely reinvent and reimagine the next series. The one big thing the series has become known for is "whimsy" and fart jokes and gags, as fun as that is, I hope PG can straddle that line between seriousness and humor and deliver an engrossing story which I feel like no Fable game has done yet!

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fully expecting Xbox 4 to be backwards compatible with Xbox One but here's my main issue with backwards compatibility. It's not "true" backwards compatibility and by this, I mean that you can't just pop in an Xbox One game disc say for example, the upcoming AC Odyssey or RDR 2 and it would work. For me, I want to see Microsoft and/or Sony implement backwards compatibility like it was on PlayStation 2. You can pop in any PSone disc and boom, it simply works and you can play it. Back then, I had PS2 and a bunch of PSone games like MGS, RE 2, Fear Effect 1 and 2 and a few others that I don't remember but what was awesome was the simple fact that you don't need the game to be licensed / approved / patched or whatever to play it. You just put in the game disc and boom, you're playing it.

That's what I want to see. Doesn't matter if it's Microsoft and/or Sony. If you own the disc from the previous gen, you simply insert it, game installs and you play it. If it's digital and tied to your account/user name, you simply download it and play it. Backwards Compatibility has been great for everyone this generation and even I was able to catch up on some games that I missed out on last generation but half of them was the Gears trilogy which was published and owned by Microsoft so getting all of their published games is a given. Same with Sony for next gen.

But I want to see the third party games just be backwards compatible day one. No approval, no patch, no license fee or some shit. No. Just put the disc in or re-download it. While it's probably a lot more complicated than what im saying, in short, I simply want it to be like PS2 BC. To me, that's the best way because you not only have every previous gen game available to you, they're all available to you DAY ONE. Not a year later. Not five years later. Nope. DAY ONE.

Granted, I don't see this happening whatsoever but is what I would like to see Microsoft/Sony do for next gen in regards to backwards compatibility simply because this would be better than what it currently is.

I don't expect the next Xbox to face the same challenges maintaining BC with XB1, in the way XB1 does with 360 and OG Xbox. In those cases BC wasn't a significant consideration throughout those generations, whereas MS now not only does a lot to separate the games from being tied directly to hardware, but they've already actually effectively implemented full disc-based BC with the XB1X. XB1X has significantly different hardware architecture to the original XB1, and yet it not only runs all the same software even with a standard disc install, but runs it all notably better than the original hardware does.

Add to that the fact that the other licensing considerations that are often cited (the addition of game streaming, etc) are already taken into account with the game being released today, and I don't think it's likely to be an issue next time around.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Crackdown 3 Multiplayer still in development at Ruffian Games.

bildschirmfoto2018-07oue8h.png

Lots of the staff from Reagent Games went to Ruffian Games continuing working on Crackdown 3. They were in the same building, too.

bildschirmfoto2018-07phfbo.png

And this one is interesting. Ruffian Games "Ongoing project work with Microsoft and 343 Industries in particular on the Windows platform(s)". They worked on Halo TMCC before. Combine this with a tweet by Phil/Bonnie Ross.

bildschirmfoto2018-0735cc0.png

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Crackdown 3 Multiplayer still in development at Ruffian Games.

bildschirmfoto2018-07oue8h.png

Lots of the staff from Reagent Games went to Ruffian Games continuing working on Crackdown 3. They were in the same building, too.

bildschirmfoto2018-07phfbo.png

And this one is interesting. Ruffian Games "Ongoing project work with Microsoft and 343 Industries in particular on the Windows platform(s)". They worked on Halo TMCC before. Combine this with a tweet by Phil/Bonnie Ross.

bildschirmfoto2018-0735cc0.png

Nice find!

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Do you guys think Ninja Theory will make another story focused game like Hellblade or a proper action adventure like Heavenly Sword or DmC? I hope it's the latter but semi-open world.

Status
Not open for further replies.