• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Sumo replied to a tweet by Rare earlier today. Could be benign as hell but maybe they're co developing PD with TC and Rare.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I have a question: do you guys think that Microsoft will "just" keep buying studios or is it likely that they will also build more from scratch like they are doing with The Initiative? And if so, who would you like to see leading new studios? I personally was hoping they'd do with Amy Henig what they are doing with Gallagher, but she went in a different direction after leaving EA. Perhaps give resources to one of the many Japanese legends who aren't doing anything relevant?

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
Wow at that Ninja Theory x Phantom Dust, I'd love for that to happen. However, I think NT will either take the chance and develop a new IP set to launch in the second year of the Scarlet, or take an existing project and make it their main focus. I don't think they'll keep the multi team structure, since the way they talked about it, it was more of a strategy for survival, which is now "guaranteed".

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question: do you guys think that Microsoft will "just" keep buying studios or is it likely that they will also build more from scratch like they are doing with The Initiative? And if so, who would you like to see leading new studios? I personally was hoping they'd do with Amy Henig what they are doing with Gallagher, but she went in a different direction after leaving EA. Perhaps give resources to one of the many Japanese legends who aren't doing anything relevant?
They will probably only build a studio if they have a person or team to build it around, so probably acquisitions mostly. While Amy would be a good choice as a creative director/narrative director, based off some of the reporting of her projects it would be best to have a different studio head and have an experienced producer. Maybe they could attract someone like Chris Avellone out of freelance work, there is probably quite a few people they could pull from other publishers.

Ken's busy working on his "narrative legos" game with T2.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
It would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. I had to write a profile on him for an article a few years back. He is a very toxic boss, terrible at managing people or resources. Most of the tech and ideas of System Shock 2 were "borrowed" from Looking Glass (it's a very interesting story, Edge magazine wrote about it a few years ago). Then he made Bioshock, which is basically the System Shock 2 concept in a different setting. Very overrated developer, in my opinion.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I dont see a real reason for them to build from scratch a small to medium studio and not aim for a AAA studio, headed by a veteran and someone that has proven themselves.

Other than that I can see them buying small to medium studios and making them medium to large, on that side I dont see them buying a AAA seasoned studio. Thats just me tho.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Matt Booty recently said "Our view on studios and partners includes three general categories: long-term partners that we can bring in to the fold and help them grow to their next level, smaller studios built around creative leaders and the ability to explore unique stories and characters, and lastly, starting new projects around proven veteran leaders"

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're more likely to see Microsoft grow their big studios into two major dev teams like Playground games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't understand why Reach was never added to the MCC. Like, at least it runs on BC, but it still has framerate drops and things no?

Its own 10 year anniversary is just a few years off now. I don't see why they couldn't.

At very least was it one of the top requested community features? And have they acknowledged it?

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're more likely to see Microsoft grow their big studios into two major dev teams like Playground games.

I think studios having two full teams that can make games concurrently is a dead dream, very dead. Naught Dog is an excellent example of this, with TLOU the intention was to have two studios but that shit was finished very quickly, the number of bodies needed to make an AAA game is simply huge. Guerrilla Games had so many external studios helping with Horizon and now they are going up to 400, but the reason is to have games not take 7 years to make. You can see with the Halo: Infinite announcement today that the number of bodies needed for a game is getting pretty silly, 1000 person developments are becoming the norm.

Playground also aren't going to make a small game with Fable, it is very obviously going to be an open world game which by the nature of the genre will need a huge number of people working on it. The best I feel we can hope for is one full production being in place and then there is a second smaller team, getting things rolling for the next game. I would assume that is what is happening with Playground right now, a small team is there getting the Fable world ready. It is going to be mighty interesting to see what happens with PG, they are not going to abandon Horizon and have a Fable game to make. They are either going to have a HUGE number of external studios helping or the studio is easily going to be the biggest first party going around.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think studios having two full teams that can make games concurrently is a dead dream, very dead. Naught Dog is an excellent example of this, with TLOU the intention was to have two studios but that shit was finished very quickly, the number of bodies needed to make an AAA game is simply huge. Guerrilla Games had so many external studios helping with Horizon and now they are going up to 400, but the reason is to have games not take 7 years to make. You can see with the Halo: Infinite announcement today that the number of bodies needed for a game is getting pretty silly, 1000 person developments are becoming the norm.

Playground also aren't going to make a small game with Fable, it is very obviously going to be an open world game which by the nature of the genre will need a huge number of people working on it. The best I feel we can hope for is one full production being in place and then there is a second smaller team, getting things rolling for the next game. I would assume that is what is happening with Playground right now, a small team is there getting the Fable world ready. It is going to be mighty interesting to see what happens with PG, they are not going to abandon Horizon and have a Fable game to make. They are either going to have a HUGE number of external studios helping or the studio is easily going to be the biggest first party going around.
You're right in regards to making high quality, large scale games in a timely manner. I think the help of external studios is going to be a necessity. I think PG's success/failure in this will act as a barometer for how Microsoft evolves their first party studios. It could be instead of growing their big studios into 2 major dev teams, they simply grow their small studios into big ones.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Pg has 2 major twams, they began hiring for fable a while ago and their fable team is in a whole other building from their hprizon team

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how early next gen appears stacked, a complete opposite to the start of this gen. 2013, 2014 and 2015 to some extent were barren and unremarkable years (more so for the PS4).

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Matt booty already said they are looking to start up new studios with industry veterans.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Playground has two studios, one dedicated to Horizon, the other to Fable. I assume the majority of MS's studios have a large team and small pre-pro team set-up, the end goal for the Fable studio currently is 200. PG is run very lean and efficient, but with next-gen coming they are probably going to have to grow a lot more.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If this is the case than why wouldn't marvel cut out the middle man with the sequel. If they approached Sony and Sony gave it to a 3rd party wouldn't it make sense for them to just bypass Sony and go straight to insomniac next time. That way Spider-Man 2 could be on switch, pc, and Xbox.

If what ur saying is true than it make zero sense for marvel to even talk to Sony again about Spider-Man 2.... there would be no need.
So, uh... why did they approach Sony in the first place, then?

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I like how early next gen appears stacked, a complete opposite to the start of this gen. 2013, 2014 and 2015 to some extent were barren and unremarkable years (more so for the PS4).
Yeah, feels like MS wants to hit the ground running with Scarlet.

What's cool is that they're not throwing in the towel for this gen. We're still getting Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I hope they pick another 2-3 small to med studios... esp Moon!

Small to med studios are more innovative.

Yes, Moon Studio PLEASE. I know Microsoft may think it might not be urgent because Microsoft owns the Ori IP.
But I hope Microsoft realizes that the market values people behind the IP as much as the IP itself. This is especially true in the post Kojima v. KONAMI era. It is hard for a new game in a famous franchise to have credibility if the people are unfamiliar with the developer. 343 suffered because of this reason.

So please, Microsoft, stick to the Moon studio (BUY THEM) if you want to make Ori the mascot of Xbox.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't know why some people still think the Marvel-Playstation partnership with Spider-Man is because of that Sony owns the film rights. It's not.

Marvel approached Playstation, they wanted Playstation to develop a Marvel game and treat it the same way they treat their own first party games. Playstation approached Insomniac and let them choose a character, Insomniac chose Spider-Man.

Everything Spider-Man is in the hands of Insomniac and Playstation for the forseeable future as stated by Marvel.
Because that makes no sense at all and it reeks of a fabricated fairy tale.

The game will be in Sony hands for the forseeable future because the Spiderman movie rights will be in Sony hands for the forseeable future.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Why in the world would anyone fabricate a story about how Spider-Man PS4 came to be? You guys are really stretching here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because that makes no sense at all and it reeks of a fabricated fairy tale.

The game will be in Sony hands for the forseeable future because the Spiderman movie rights will be in Sony hands for the forseeable future.
I don't know about that. I think it made sense now because Marvel and Sony were capable of coming to a deal for Spider man to be in the MCU for a 5 picture deal. I think the future will be determined by a number of factors such as if a new deal is made or not, and/or how well this game sells. Huge game sales on PS4 could keep it an exclusive for Sony's platform for a while regardless if Sony and Marvel reup their movie deal or not.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, feels like MS wants to hit the ground running with Scarlet.

What's cool is that they're not throwing in the towel for this gen. We're still getting Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc.
Yup, couple that with their focus on backwards/forward compatibility and it's a great feeling to know that these games will be playable on future hardware whenever you decide to jump in.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Sony owning the rights to the Spider Man movies definitely influences the decision, I think that it has more to do with Marvel wanting the games to be of high quality. The only way to ensure that is by going with the company that has done just that since Bloodborne. When you look at how Activision treated the Spider Man license, I would be running for Sony as well. For the first time in a long time, if not forever, there will finally be an excellent Spider Man game. I definitely believe that it's more of a quality thing than anything else simply because if it wasn't, why not have one of the internal studios work on the game instead of Insomniac which is not owned by Sony and could decide that they just want to make one great game and that's it? That's too much of a risk in my eyes so it's definitely more due to Marvel wanting the game to be of high quality.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Sony owning the rights to the Spider Man movies definitely influences the decision, I think that it has more to do with Marvel wanting the games to be of high quality. The only way to ensure that is by going with the company that has done just that since Bloodborne. When you look at how Activision treated the Spider Man license, I would be running for Sony as well. For the first time in a long time, if not forever, there will finally be an excellent Spider Man game. I definitely believe that it's more of a quality thing than anything else simply because if it wasn't, why not have one of the internal studios work on the game instead of Insomniac which is not owned by Sony and could decide that they just want to make one great game and that's it? That's too much of a risk in my eyes so it's definitely more due to Marvel wanting the game to be of high quality.
I think their partnership had way more to do with having one of their global popular IP's exclusive to one platform than Marvel simply wanting a high quality game and willing to sacrifice other platforms.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I disagree with this. Xbox One had Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5 and Dead Rising 3 at launch. Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and Halo: MCC in 2014. Ori, Forza Motorsport 6 and Halo 5 in 2015. Quantum Break, Recore, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 in 2016. 2017 was really the first year that you could say was barren with Halo Wars 2, Cuphead and Forza Motorsport 7. The main problem really isn't the quantity, it's the quality. Outside of the big three, it's more negative than positive.

Sony had Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall at launch. Infamous Second Son, MLB 14 and Drive Club in 2014. The Order 1886, Bloodborne, MLB 15 and Until Dawn in 2015. MLB 16, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4 in 2016. Nioh (in NA), Horizon Zero Dawn, MLB 17, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Knack 2 in 2017.

For 2018, it's been God of War and Detroit Become Human for PS4 while on Xbox One, it's been Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Upcoming is Spider Man for PS4 and Forza Horizon 4 for Xbox One.

The main difference isn't quantity at all, it's quality. Sony's published games (internal or external) have simply been of a higher quality and since Bloodborne, way more consistent. Unless the games simply aren't appealing or interesting to you, I don't see how any year has been barren.

My main thing is that I simply want to see Microsoft's published games be of a higher quality next gen than what they have been this gen. I'll easily take two high quality games in a year over five above average games. That's what im hoping will happen from all the studios for next gen.

I do believe that Halo Infinite will be a launch title along with Forza Motorsport 8. I know that Turn 10 has said that they aren't working on FM8 but I simply don't believe that. I think they are and will be a launch title for the next Xbox console.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
The present wouldn't have any bearing in the past when this deal was made. At the earliest this deal had to have been made 3-5 years ago.
That's true. But Playstation's massive sales lead has been obvious for a long time now.
The only way I can see this relating to the movies is if it was part of the deal to get Spider-man in the MCU. Marvel get Spider-man in their movies, he gets super popular again because they know how to make superhero movies, Sony gets to ride the coat tails with a super successful game.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think their partnership had way more to do with having one of their global popular IP's exclusive to one platform than Marvel simply wanting a high quality game and willing to sacrifice other platforms.

What are they really sacrificing though? Majority of gamers who play on Xbox One aren't going to run to buy Spider Man. Maybe 2M max and if the game was multi-platform, it would probably be bad and thus, sell even less than that because Spider Man or not, for the first time ever, im actually interested and buying the game because I know the quality will be there. If it was just another Activision or multi-platform cash grab, I wouldn't even give it a second look.

To be perfectly honest, I much rather prefer Spider Man being exclusive to Sony and getting an excellent game that im guaranteed to buy as opposed to just another multi-platform licensed cash grab ala Activision. Wouldn't you? I want high quality. I don't want shit.

I can understand Xbox One only owners being salty but if you really want to play the game, buy a PS4, play the game to completion and trade it all in if PS4 isn't for you. Hell, I bought Xbox One for ROTTR because I didn't want to wait a year. I bought an Xbox One X because I want the best and 2019 should be excellent when it comes to exclusives. Fuck the console wars bullshit. It's all about if the game is of high quality and how badly you want to play it. Also, when you look at Insomniac, majority if not almost all of their success has been on the PlayStation platform. It's just what it is.

As for the game itself, I for one can't wait. Six more weeks to go. Looks great and the swinging is said to be so fluid and responsive. Overall, the game looks to be of high quality and simply, a lot of fun to play.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. But Playstation's massive sales lead has been obvious for a long time now.
The only way I can see this relating to the movies is if it was part of the deal to get Spider-man in the MCU. Marvel get Spider-man in their movies, he gets super popular again because they know how to make superhero movies, Sony gets to ride the coat tails with a super successful game.
Doesn't have to be part of the movie deal for Sony and Marvel's partnership with Spider Man trickle down to video games.. Sony also has their own Spider Man film releasing later this year. Its all in synergy to the Spider Man IP, which both Marvel and Sony are invested in.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are they really sacrificing though? Majority of gamers who play on Xbox One aren't going to run to buy Spider Man. Maybe 2M max and if the game was multi-platform, it would probably be bad and thus, sell even less than that because Spider Man or not, for the first time ever, im actually interested and buying the game because I know the quality will be there. If it was just another Activision or multi-platform cash grab, I wouldn't even give it a second look.

To be perfectly honest, I much rather prefer Spider Man being exclusive to Sony and getting an excellent game that im guaranteed to buy as opposed to just another multi-platform licensed cash grab ala Activision. Wouldn't you? I want high quality. I don't want shit.

I can understand Xbox One only owners being salty but if you really want to play the game, buy a PS4, play the game to completion and trade it all in if PS4 isn't for you. Hell, I bought Xbox One for ROTTR because I didn't want to wait a year. I bought an Xbox One X because I want the best and 2019 should be excellent when it comes to exclusives. Fuck the console wars bullshit. It's all about if the game is of high quality and how badly you want to play it. Also, when you look at Insomniac, majority if not almost all of their success has been on the PlayStation platform. It's just what it is.

As for the game itself, I for one can't wait. Six more weeks to go. Looks great and the swinging is said to be so fluid and responsive. Overall, the game looks to be of high quality and simply, a lot of fun to play.
Talk about strawman arguments. I'm not salty the game won't be available on my preferred platform of choice. I'm contesting this notion from you that it was MORE to do with Marvel wanting a high quality game. Sony is only the publisher to this game. The quality comes from an independent studio in Insomniac.
So if Marvel was simply concerned with quality they could've used a third party publisher like Activision and contracted Insominiac to develop it and have their global popular IP video game on multiple platforms. Kinda like Activision publishing From Software's next game on multiple platforms while maintaining the quality of Bloodborne. It's almost as if there were other more obvious factors why this union between Sony, Marvel, and a Spiderman video game PS4 exclusive occured during the same time Sony, Marvel, and Spiderman are in a MCU deal.

Also PC is part of that multiple platform I was refferring to.​

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
The main difference isn't quantity at all, it's quality. Sony's published games (internal or external) have simply been of a higher quality and since Bloodborne, way more consistent. Unless the games simply aren't appealing or interesting to you, I don't see how any year has been barren.

My main thing is that I simply want to see Microsoft's published games be of a higher quality next gen than what they have been this gen. I'll easily take two high quality games in a year over five above average games. That's what im hoping will happen from all the studios for next gen.
I think it's more a marketing problem than a quality problem. A friend told me that if Quantum Break was published by Sony, it would be a 90+ game on metacritic. After playing it, I totally agree.

Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break are excellent games. Sunset Overdrive too. I really think that the metascore of these games is a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I think it's more a marketing problem than a quality problem. A friend told me that if Quantum Break was published by Sony, it would be a 90+ game on metacritic. After playing it, I totally agree.

Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break are excellent games. Sunset Overdrive too. I really think that the metascore of these games is a shame.

Quantum Break was really fun for sure

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talk about strawman arguments. I'm not salty the game won't be available on my preferred platform of choice. I'm contesting this notion from you that it was MORE to do with Marvel wanting a high quality game. Sony is only the publisher to this game. The quality comes from an independent studio in Insomniac.
So if Marvel was simply concerned with quality they could've used a third party publisher like Activision and contracted Insominiac to develop it and have their global popular IP video game on multiple platforms. Kinda like Activision publishing From Software's next game on multiple platforms while maintaining the quality of Bloodborne. It's almost as if there were other more obvious factors why this union between Sony, Marvel, and a Spiderman video game PS4 exclusive occured during the same time Sony, Marvel, and Spiderman are in a MCU deal.

The reason why I say Marvel is more concerned about quality is from Marvel themselves. PR for Marvel or someone high up said that they want their games and movies to be of high quality. They simply saw what Activision was doing with the license and it soured them. Marvel going to Sony is because of the quality factor first and foremost. I know that Sony is only the publisher but when you see what the majority of Activision's game's get rated and sell (outside of COD) and then look at Sony, which publisher would you pick? When it comes to games, Sony simply doesn't disappoint and hasn't since The Order. You know what you're getting which is a high quality published game.

Yeah, the games come from the developer BUT if it wasn't for the money and marketing of the publisher, it wouldn't matter who the developer is. And you really think that Activision (who is the second worst publisher in this industry in my opinion) would spend the money to contract Insomniac? No way.

As for Sekiro, Activision is only publishing the game in NA as far as I know so it's the equivalent of Sony publishing Nioh in NA last year for PS4. Activision has no say with Sekiro where as with Spider Man, they did. Basically, look at Activision with Spider Man like EA with Star Wars. Enough said. LOL.

What you should really ask yourself is if you were Marvel and Sony has the Spider Man movie license, why on Earth would you even look or consider anyone else besides Sony? PC sales won't be a lot. Console versions always sell way more and that's never going to change. And if it was an Activision, the PC port would run like shit probably like the majority of PC ports do. On PS4 with the streak Sony is on and what will easily be critically and gamer acclaimed, Spider Man is going to sell 15M+ life time if not more. It's going to do insane numbers. And no, I don't believe for a minute that the game would sell even half total if it was on three platforms and published by Activision because I know the quality wouldn't be there.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Disagree with your friend. On PS4, it would have been The Order part two. Quantum Break was for me at best a good 7.0/10 game but nowhere near what Remedy is capable of. Plus, being connected to a TV show was fucking stupid. Halo Wars 2 got bad reviews because the game was a glitch bug filled disaster when it launched. It had a lot of problems and needed more time.

Sunset Overdrive has an 80 or so MC. That's not bad at all considering the type of game it is. Nothing really to do with quality or marketing. More to do with the Xbox One user base simply not being interested in the game.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
As for halo infinite. Let 343 take their time. Don't rush it out the door. Honestly halo 5 felt like it had too many suits come in and make decisions that harmed the franchise rather than help it. Phil did say he wants his first party to be more lean. I think whatever is happening at 343 and TC is showing that off.

I can see MS opening another studio similar to the the initiative. But maybe just one. The talent they want will be hard as fuck to get. I am wondering who they will hire at TI. Right now we only know of one employee and that's Dave. Be interested to see if they get people from Naughty Dog.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I say 2013, 2014 and 2015 were unremarkable years. I meant for gaming in general, I thought the X1's exclusive line-up was the superior one in those years and pretty good overall.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018

You are forgetting a big part of the deal,Marvel approached Sony for a big game than Sony went to Insomniac who has decided to make Spider-Man they could have chosen another Marvel ip but they choiced spider man. So your suspicious about the movie rights are wrong

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are forgetting a big part of the deal,Marvel approached Sony for a big game than Sony went to Insomniac who has decided to make Spider-Man they could have chosen another Marvel ip but they choiced spider man. So your suspicious about the movie rights are wrong
I've heard the story and don't believe Sony, who don't fund IP's they don't own hence them passing on Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive, would happily license any expensive Marvel IP Insomniac wanted to choose and fund it's development out of the kindness of their heart. It's no coincidence that the IP that was chosen happens to be the one Marvel IP Sony has a vested interest in theatrically. To believe otherwise would be naive.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I've heard the story and don't believe Sony, who don't fund IP's they don't own hence them passing on Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive, would happily license any expensive Marvel IP Insomniac wanted to choose and fund it's development out of the kindness of their heart. It's no coincidence that the IP that was chosen happens to be the one Marvel IP Sony has a vested interest in theatrically. To believe otherwise would be naive.
Insomniac said the part about the Spider-Man choice if you don't want to believe even them do what you want

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac said the part about the Spider-Man choice if you don't want to believe even them do what you want
Of course I don't believe it because it doesn't make sense for Sony to license an IP they don't own and contract an Independent studio to make it when they don't fund IP's they don't own... unless there was something more to it.

Hmmmm. I wonder what it could be in this case?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.