• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I was just lamenting on the fact that Microsoft's current market position has shifted me to other platforms for certain titles. In August, I'll be buying Guacamelee 2 and Donut County on PS4 because Xbox doesn't have enough marketshare for the small dev teams to focus on adding it as another platform for launch.

I know these games wouldn't be X enhanced or anything, but I would definitely prefer them on Xbox. I hope they make the right moves for next-gen so that I can just stick to playing the majority of my games on one console again.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
For all intents and purposes they are. Two different locations working on two wildly different projects in different genres and with different engines. If PG opened a new studio to make PGR5 I'd agree with you.
Like I said, I understand the position you and the other one are taking...but when people look at it, they aren't going to unless that other studio has a name. lol

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else wondering where the new Game Pass games are?

The latest they've ever been announced is the 28th of the month and it's the 31st.

I've seen some speculation that they were waiting until the Summer Sale was over but it ended today.

Are they really going to wait until the same day the games drop (the 1st of the month/tomorrow)?

I wouldn't worry. My guess is they are waiting for later today to separate it from the BC announcements or tomorrow. Maybe they will start with new advertisement trailers that shows over 200+ games instead of 100+?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Turn 10 is obviously working on a third Forza imo. The whole team isn't gonna be on Forza 7 so if they're not working on Forza 8 they'll be on Forza something else.

Makes sense given Motorsport has kinda took a step back to horizon. I doubt turn 10 are particularly happy about playing second fiddle to playground either, they'll want the crown back
While I do think there is a third forza franchise in the works, I don't think turn 10 are working on it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I NEVER said they were forced to create Fable. I said I HOPE MS never forces them to ONLY create Fable if and when it becomes a hit.
Well, I don't think we should worry about that. Phil said something in the lines of "the devs need more time to create unique experiences and that he realises burnout/fatigue steps in when you keep churning out the same thing over and over again". also in that video they posted during E3, NT basically said they had been given creative freedom to work on what ever they wanted. so I'm guessing it will be the same with the other studios going forward.

Jul 17, 2018
Well, I don't think we should worry about that. Phil said something in the lines of "the devs need more time to create unique experiences and that he realises burnout/fatigue steps in when you keep churning out the same thing over and over again". also in that video they posted during E3, NT basically said they had been given creative freedom to work on what ever they wanted. so I'm guessing it will be the same with the other studios going forward.

Indeed.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
You do all realize that if MS gets too big and starts selling a lot more games, third party publishers might go somewhere else?

Why do you think third parties are "boycotting" the Nintendo systems? Probably because Nintendo gets most of the sales/profits.

MS need to focus on quality, not quantity. They have as many studios as Sony.

What is in my opinion urgent for Microsoft to do: a great PC store. Steam is A LOT better.
Not really, nintendo is boycotted because their systems aren't powerful enough, microsoft gets all the major AAA third party western games, and all the AAA japanese games (granted there's not as many of those) what they could do better is general japanese gaming support.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, nintendo is boycotted because their systems aren't powerful enough, microsoft gets all the major AAA third party western games, and all the AAA japanese games (granted there's not as many of those) what they could do better is general japanese gaming support.

Yeah, for Nintendo, the third party support has been non-existent since the days of Nintendo 64. When your console is literally two generations behind in tech, power and capabilities, you're not going to be getting the GTA's, Destiny's, Division's and Anthem's of the world. It's just not going to happen. And the few games Switch is getting like Doom for example is so watered down that unless you don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, I don't know why anyone would want to play a fast paced FPS on sub-30FPS hardware. UGH.

Microsoft does get Japanese games but they really need to up their ante for next gen as there's a lot that they don't get (Nioh, Yakuza, Ni No Kuni, Persona, etc.). Getting Nier Automata was great but when it's 16 months later than your competitor, not as much. Spencer needs to get Japanese games day and date with the competition. Even if they don't sell as well as on PlayStation, just having them available and being options for gamers is a huge positive in of itself.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah, for Nintendo, the third party support has been non-existent since the days of Nintendo 64. When your console is literally two generations behind in tech, power and capabilities, you're not going to be getting the GTA's, Destiny's, Division's and Anthem's of the world. It's just not going to happen. And the few games Switch is getting like Doom for example is so watered down that unless you don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, I don't know why anyone would want to play a fast paced FPS on sub-30FPS hardware. UGH.

Microsoft does get Japanese games but they really need to up their ante for next gen as there's a lot that they don't get (Nioh, Yakuza, Ni No Kuni, Persona, etc.). Getting Nier Automata was great but when it's 16 months later than your competitor, not as much. Spencer needs to get Japanese games day and date with the competition. Even if they don't sell as well as on PlayStation, just having them available and being options for gamers is a huge positive in of itself.
Yeah I remember phil saying his pitch to japanese developers wasn't that they were going to sell well in Japan, but that they could expand their market by selling their games on xbox in the west and it worked for some games and not for otherws (nioh, ni no kuni and that new square enix game for example).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah I remember phil saying his pitch to japanese developers wasn't that they were going to sell well in Japan, but that they could expand their market by selling their games on xbox in the west and it worked for some games and not for otherws (nioh, ni no kuni and that new square enix game for example).
Nioh has a publishing deal with Sony, so that's not happening (unless.. Nioh Sigma?!)

Ni No Kuni 2 was a poorly received sequel to a PlayStation exclusive, probably wasn't worth chasing.

But they've certainly missed out on Babylon's Fall. We haven't even seen anything of the actual game but it's Platinum so I can't wait for that one. Xbox only owners will be missing out.

We're actually in this weird situation where PC gamers have never had it so good. They will naturally get to enjoy all Xbox first party games going forward, most third party games (and let's be honest Spyro, RDR2 and KH3 are bound to hit PC eventually) and also a bunch of PS4 console exclusives from Nex Machina to Nioh, and even a Switch console exclusive in Hollow Knight.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here's the thing though. For Microsoft and Spencer to expand and evolve, they need to get the game regardless if they sell or not on Xbox. You want to give people options. Xbox 360 was great in this aspect, at least for the first half of it's run. The next console needs to get back to that. I'm personally now starting to get back into Japanese games which is another reason why I favor PS4. It's not just about Sony's exclusives. It's about second party exclusives that they have, PSN digital games such as Housemarque (yeah, I know) and Japanese exclusives like Yakuza and the upcoming Fist of the North Star.

Just having these games on the next Xbox would go a long way with a lot of gamers. For example, say Xbox 4 launches in March 2020 and there's one or two Japanese games that I want to play but don't want to wait for them to go on PS5. That greatly increases the chances of me buying in day one where as now, it's 50/50 at best.

Microsoft/Spencer simply can't rely and depend on just the big three anymore because outside of the hardcore fans, the rest in general look at it as simply not enough. They should simply tell the Japanese publishers to have a 1/3rd the amount of discs/copies available physically. This way, the option is there, the risk is lessened and if they all sell out, they can always do a second run of discs/copies.

That's just what I think they should try to do and how I look at it.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Here's the thing though. For Microsoft and Spencer to expand and evolve, they need to get the game regardless if they sell or not on Xbox. You want to give people options. Xbox 360 was great in this aspect, at least for the first half of it's run. The next console needs to get back to that. I'm personally now starting to get back into Japanese games which is another reason why I favor PS4. It's not just about Sony's exclusives. It's about second party exclusives that they have, PSN digital games such as Housemarque (yeah, I know) and Japanese exclusives like Yakuza and the upcoming Fist of the North Star.

Just having these games on the next Xbox would go a long way with a lot of gamers. For example, say Xbox 4 launches in March 2020 and there's one or two Japanese games that I want to play but don't want to wait for them to go on PS5. That greatly increases the chances of me buying in day one where as now, it's 50/50 at best.

Microsoft/Spencer simply can't rely and depend on just the big three anymore because outside of the hardcore fans, the rest in general look at it as simply not enough. They should simply tell the Japanese publishers to have a 1/3rd the amount of discs/copies available physically. This way, the option is there, the risk is lessened and if they all sell out, they can always do a second run of discs/copies.

That's just what I think they should try to do and how I look at it.
Yeah I agree, Phil should also be looking for deals where deals can be had to expand the japanese games library on xbox.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I meant more commercially rather than critically. It was definitely a disappointment coming from the first game. But rating better than most Xbox One first party games so far this gen isn't something to brag about sadly!
I'm just saying, if the well-received sequel to a fantastic JRPG isn't "worth chasing," then Microsoft might as well roll over and die right now. It'll be hard to compel Japanese developers to put their games on the Xbox family if you can't even show a track record of modest commercial success on slightly more obscure than "household name" titles.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I was wondering what you guys consider the numbers a game has to sell to be considered a cultural phenomenom (I know microsoft has halo and gears an also minecraft), but maybe 20 million copies sold? With gamepass how do you guys see that changing, where a game doesn't really need to sell that much when it can generate a lot of subscriptions and people can play it there, also I think these games usually have some sort of multiplayer mode, granted sony has had a lot of success and buzz with their games but those are games people play once and then are done with, unless the single player game is skyrim (and potentially cyberpunk 2077) what is the potential for the game lasting on the publics' mind?

Last edited:

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
For PG, if they could switch between Fable and the new IP they wanted to create, that would be fine by me. Of course, I'm not sure people really would want one Fable game per console gen because that's pretty much what you'd get.

If Fable would come out in 2021 (can't see it sooner, and 2022 wouldn't be a surprise at all), and it's 3 years per PG game, so the new IP is 2024 and Fable 5 (or whatever) is 2027. That would pretty much be a next-gen title. Well, Cross-gen st the very least. Then again, who knows when next-gen will be over?

Are you guys fine with getting Fable once per gen? Heck, for many I know they hate waiting even 3 - 4 years for a sequel to anything.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh has a publishing deal with Sony, so that's not happening (unless.. Nioh Sigma?!)

Ni No Kuni 2 was a poorly received sequel to a PlayStation exclusive, probably wasn't worth chasing.

I disagree. It's the third party exclusives that are driving the nails in the coffin. Its important they don't let these type of games slide.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
For PG, if they could switch between Fable and the new IP they wanted to create, that would be fine by me. Of course, I'm not sure people really would want one Fable game per console gen because that's pretty much what you'd get.

If Fable would come out in 2021 (can't see it sooner, and 2022 wouldn't be a surprise at all), and it's 3 years per PG game, so the new IP is 2024 and Fable 5 (or whatever) is 2027. That would pretty much be a next-gen title. Well, Cross-gen st the very least. Then again, who knows when next-gen will be over?

Are you guys fine with getting Fable once per gen? Heck, for many I know they hate waiting even 3 - 4 years for a sequel to anything.
Well with gears and halo we are probably getting 2 games at most per gen anyway, forza is the only one you can say you're getting up to 4 entries in each game per gen, with fable though one game per gen might be fine, who knows how good that new ip of theirs would be though? It could maybe surpass fable.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think MS will let them Cross-Gen at the end...

So it will still release in current gen So no guarantee about them being only next gen yet

I don't think that they'll be cross-gen. If they release on Xbox One, they will simply be backwards compatible. I do think that they should make them exclusive to the next console. You can't support the old console with your main franchise title while at the same time, trying to get people to jump into the next console.

I was wondering what you guys consider the numbers a game has to sell to be consider a cultural phenomenom (I know microsoft has halo and gears an also minecraft), but maybe 20 million copies sold? With gamepass how do you guys see that changing, where a game doesn't really need to sell that much when it can generate a lot of subscriptions and people can play it there, also I think these games usually have some sort of multiplayer mode, granted sony has had a lot of success and buzz with their games but those are games people play once and then are done with, unless the single player game is skyrim (and potentially cyberpur 2077) what is the potential for the game lasting on the publics' mind?

Normally, I would say at least 10M to start but with Microsoft having Game Pass, it has more to do with what fits long term which for them is live serviced games. I do hope that the quality increases for next gen though even if it's games that don't appeal to me.

I have played Horizon and God of War only once but they were 113 and 80 or so hours respectively. The main difference is if there's expansions for the solo games like Horizon. The Frozen Wilds gave me an extra 50 or so hours so for one game, you're talking at least 160 hours.

Of course, as someone who spent years literally on sports games back on SNES through to PS2 with ESPN NFL 2K5 being at least a three or four year game for me if not more, I realized that not only was that a total and complete waste of time that I can't get back but also, I missed out on so many great fucking games back then. Add in the fact that if I play a game like that again, im going to get sick of it and need something new to play.

One of the reasons why im a single player gamer is because these games give me what I want the most and then, I can move on to my next single player experience. For example, here's my games list for the rest of 2018 -

- Yakuza Kiwami 2 (currently playing Zero and then Kiwami. will simply stick to the story campaign and easily get my fill of what it is and then, be able to move on)
- Spider Man (will probably be for the month of September as I will easily 100% the game unless there's some horrible side activity that I just don't like and thus, won't do...once I hit that, time to move on)
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider (same as Spider Man but for October)
- Fist of the North Star ( don't know when im fitting this in but not much if anything out there that's like it plus it's a beat em up which im very excited for...but once done, I move on)
- AC Odyssey (will most likely be my January game...depends on if Ubisoft fucks up the HUD options again like they did with Origins. I'm betting that they will)
- Starlink: The Battle For Atlas (probably late October...not expecting the game to be long or massive but once done, it should be time for ....)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (will be my November game...didn't play much of the original and instead of going back to play RDR, im going to play RDR 2 first and if I complete it, then, I'll play the original which for me is perfect since RDR 2 is a prequel)
- Darksiders III (will probably be a 2019 game for me as I still need to play Darksiders 2 first)
- Just Cause 4 (just a fun packed game to blow shit up...hell, why not? LOL. will be my December game)

Point of the above is that outside of RDR 2, they're all single player games or solo with limited online stuff like Tomb Raider. The point of me listing all of these games is simple - it gives me good to great to excellent solo experiences and outside of a few elements here and there, none of them are the same so by the time I get to the point of wanting to "be done" with any particular game, im basically wrapping it up and ready to move on to my next game.

Being addicted or just constantly the same game over and over for weeks, months or years is just insane. And I know because I did that shit and wish I get back all of that time. That was one mistake I will never make again because I know the end result and I'll miss out on so many great games.

Also, im trying to eliminate my backlog from last gen and this gen by 2020. Thankfully, it's around ten games or so which isn't bad all things considered. This is another reason why I'll never get into online gaming or wanting to be competitive because for me personally, it would turn out to be such a huge waste of time (again).

I have Game Pass until January 15th or so. I have already used it for Darksiders, Gears UE, Gears 2 and Gears 3. The next game would be Darksiders 2. These five games alone pretty much gave me my $30 worth. I can't complain. For me to resubscribe to Game Pass, it will be the same as in June. It has to be half price. $30 for six months. Of course, im fully expecting this come Black Weekend or Christmas Sales.

For the game to truly last for me, it would have to be an AC Origins/Odyssey type game. Huge open world, high quality, fully single player, a shit ton of fun stuff to do with expansions that build on it all and add new story content in the process. Other than this, I see every game as a simple one and done.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I was wondering what you guys consider the numbers a game has to sell to be consider a cultural phenomenom (I know microsoft has halo and gears an also minecraft), but maybe 20 million copies sold? With gamepass how do you guys see that changing, where a game doesn't really need to sell that much when it can generate a lot of subscriptions and people can play it there, also I think these games usually have some sort of multiplayer mode, granted sony has had a lot of success and buzz with their games but those are games people play once and then are done with, unless the single player game is skyrim (and potentially cyberpur 2077) what is the potential for the game lasting on the publics' mind?

Great question and topic. I don't think it can be measured on sales alone. When you see videogame characters as Haloween costumes and on lunch boxes, it has become a cultural phenomenon. For mature rated games, I think you have to look at streams. Comes down to mindshare. A game could sell a ton and then be quickly forgotten. Mindshare is ultimately more important than sales. Sales come if there's sustained mindshare however there's additional monitization opportunities as well.

I think Game Pass could be huge for mindshare. Quicker games can download, bigger it'll be. It makes trying out a new game an impulse thing.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sure that is because reviewers favor games in some genres over other genres, so the genres they don't like get lower scores.

Critic reviews need to change. First, the reviewer should have an interest in the genre but not to where it's their favorite. It has to be in the middle in order to make it fair. Second, the overall score should be based on categories. For example, I personally rate games using four categories. Visuals, Audio, Gameplay and Story/Characters. I have a fifth category that's exclusive to open world games which consists of side quests, activities, etc. If the game isn't open world, the category doesn't exist for that particular game. This is why a game like BOTW would be at best a 7/10 for me because it's simply going to be lacking in the story/character category and the gameplay wasn't any better than a 7/10 for me. So while the visuals were high, the other categories bring down the score.

Third, reviewers should post how they play. What are their HUD settings? What difficulty are they playing on? If applicable, is aim assist on or off? These settings also affect the game and how much the reviewer will like or dislike the game and thus, should be posted in the review.

The only critic I go by which is a site is GamingBolt because every 9 out of 10 games, their score is within a point difference of what I end up giving the same game. Very rarely, do they ever score a game high or low and im the opposite. Of course, I don't ever see critics doing this because if they did, the majority of games that are overrated would no longer be overrated. LOL.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Great question and topic. I don't think it can be measured on sales alone. When you see videogame characters as Haloween costumes and on lunch boxes, it has become a cultural phenomenon. For mature rated games, I think you have to look at streams. Comes down to mindshare. A game could sell a ton and then be quickly forgotten. Mindshare is ultimately more important than sales. Sales come if there's sustained mindshare however there's additional monitization opportunities as well.

I think Game Pass could be huge for mindshare. Quicker games can download, bigger it'll be. It makes trying out a new game an impulse thing.
Yeah I agree, gamepass could be great for mindshare and that might lead to even more sales who knows.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Since this is the Microsoft thread, I might as well ask - has anyone beat Hellblade yet on the Xbox and had problems with the achievements? I'm in chapter 4, and I'm having trouble with two of the previous achievements. I unlocked the first achievement but the other two achievements you get by defeating the first two bosses I didn't unlock. I'm not sure if it's because of my save game or what. I wouldn't be surprised if the chapter 4 achievement doesn't unlock either, so I don't want to proceed.

If I have to create a new game to get them I'll do that, but if that doesn't work I'd rather not do it.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Since this is the Microsoft thread, I might as well ask - has anyone beat Hellblade yet on the Xbox and had problems with the achievements? I'm in chapter 4, and I'm having trouble with two of the previous achievements. I unlocked the first achievement but the other two achievements you get by defeating the first two bosses I didn't unlock. I'm not sure if it's because of my save game or what. I wouldn't be surprised if the chapter 4 achievement doesn't unlock either, so I don't want to proceed.

If I have to create a new game to get them I'll do that, but if that doesn't work I'd rather not do it.
If you've been playing today, the achievement system has been fucked for the last 8 hours or so. Nothing was popping for anyone. Seems to be somewhat coming back online now.

Apr 6, 2018
So I've discovered this….
https://www.reaver.co.uk/
if you didn't played fable 3: http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Reaver_Industries
and an italian website discovered this:
Schermata-2018-07-31-alle-12.00.21.png

SOOO viral marketing campaign is beeind prepared and confirm that's a canon sequel of the old saga
Theorry Klobrille Rychu who will open the thread first?

Jan 4, 2018
I had another dream!

Scarlett Cloud let's call it would theoretically be kind of a streaming box with just limited local capacities to make it cheap and sell a ton.
That means an Xbox One X might be able to run it too?
Maybe even S/OG making them all forward compatible?
An already established 40-50 million base at launch of a new generation?

Because that would be genious

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018

SOOO viral marketing campaign is beeind prepared and confirm that's a canon sequel of the old saga
I doubt that belongs to Microsoft. Heck, there's even a LinkedIn page for the company.
If you've been playing today, the achievement system has been fucked for the last 8 hours or so. Nothing was popping for anyone. Seems to be somewhat coming back online now.
I hope it fixes itself at least.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Playground's game wasn't even in development yet in 2016. So why would they register a domain for a viral campaign even before the game is greenlit?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
even the logo is a perfect match, maybe in a third world country it would work, but in uk you will loose anything in tribunal for stealing the name and the logo
The logo is a complete match because they copied it. If this is anything it would be a fan project or something. Dates don't match, the website data doesn't align at all with any of Microsoft's and so on.

More than likely Microsoft just hasn't found out yet. That, or they don't care.... for now. Then again, I don't really know if this is something Microsoft would act on. There's fan sites that use IP names and logos. Only difference is they have a copyright notice at the bottom belonging to the owning company.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Microsoft has psychics on their payroll.
The only way this would make sense is if Microsoft was already working with a team at Playground on Fable in 2016, and then the studio later set up in the separate building as it went further in to production.

But that would go against what Matt('s source) said about how Microsoft passed on Playground's RPG initially (his rumour on the old site), then his update on this site (when we had evidence that it was actually Fable) about how Playground came back to Microsoft when they couldn't find a publisher, and Microsoft basically said 'only if it's Fable'. That said, I have a problem with that story, if only because 1) we saw a recruitment advert for a Microsoft UK based RPG open world exclusive early last year, before any of that was alleged to have happened and 2) why would Playground open a second studio and invest in massive new office space without the existing backing of a publisher.

Which all leads me to believe that Fable has been cooking at Playground for longer than we've assumed, and perhaps 2020 is plausible.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I had another dream!

Scarlett Cloud let's call it would theoretically be kind of a streaming box with just limited local capacities to make it cheap and sell a ton.
That means an Xbox One X might be able to run it too?
Maybe even S/OG making them all forward compatible?
An already established 40-50 million base at launch of a new generation?

Because that would be genious
Certainly sounds possible

Status
Not open for further replies.