• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Proud for the team. It's always hard to imagine that people worked on a project for multiple years of their lifetime, putting all their sweat and heart into a videogame, only to have editors judging on that years of work in some 15 hour gameplay sessions. But that's how it works I guess.

Excited for their future.

Last edited:

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I can't as I don't have enough confidence/experience/knowledge in some of that stuff. So I want to wait first.

If I always would blindly share want I found, I wouldn't be here anymore. Easy as that. For these things the internet will always be like "he's right" or "he's wrong". But in reality there often is a middle ground. Or more to a story. I don't expect people to accept that - because what matters the most for most people are results -, so I won't share anything I haven't even at least some confidence in by myself.

Let's wait if Obsidian is happening. If it is, I have a better understanding for these things. If not, I start at zero.

I am sorry. I will just ... Stop. You are right.

No need to be sorry really, just my view on the matter, those kind of teases leave me with a feeling of nothingness.

Hopefully you get Obsidian right, while it's not my kind of studio (liked KOTOR 2 and that was it) it would be a interesting get for xbox for sure.

Don't hype Us like this !!! );

it's easier to bulid one from the Ground than buying one....

So hope they try

I find it easier to start with a smaller studio and grow from there, have a big name leading the studio and controlling from there. Japan studios are a lot about the creators behind them, Swery, Kojima, Futatsugi, Nomura, Sakaguchi, Suda, Kamiya, Taro etc.. honestly for most big games in japan I could name you the creator, It isn't like that with western development, sure I know a few but it's truly a few. If MS can grow a studio, help the person get talent around himself and so on, I'm sure we could have some special gems.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I do hope there's some sort of pc game pass announcement at Gamescom. It would make sense for them to announce games like AoE or Gears Tactics to be a day-one Game Pass title. It would make sense for MS Studios to port over games to Win 10 so their catalog would be bigger.

The windows store needs improvement. They can definitely improve the Windows 10 gaming ecosystem and with the leaked presentation for a curated mod implementation which could be their version for the Steam Workshop, things might be going in the right direction but it'll take time before we see any improvements to it.

Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian made POE among other things right? Those aren't my kind of games. If they become a MS studio I hope they will work on a third person or first person RPG with real-time combat. That's just my wishes and for all we know they are gonna make something entirely different.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
bildschirmfoto2018-08vycc2.png

You really want to hype us up! haha

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just to note Windows Store is not part of the gaming org. The company is still undergoing reorganization to support Satya's new focus. This includes the division that owns MS store. Lots of areas being broken apart, shifted and new leaders being given new responsibilities.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to note Windows Store is not part of the gaming org. The company is still undergoing reorganization to support Satya's new focus. This includes the division that owns MS store. Lots of areas being broken apart, shifted and new leaders being given new responsibilities.

I hope that means good things for the Windows Store on the gaming side of things, but hopefully sooner than later.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Age of Empires IV is looking into using the SoT water tech!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the nice words Rand al Thor 19 - love hearing to your podcast :)

If the Obsidian acquisition will happen in the future I know where I'm at with that stuff and I probably have more stuff then. But I will wait for that to have more confidence as I already said I'm not sure on my own. You have my word I will share it on your podcast then ;)

Hoping the Obsidian rumor turns out to be true because it would be great to hear you on Rand's podcast with Jez. This would be one hell of a podcast.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So here's a thought I had: You know how people get all up in arms about Xbox exclusivity, and all of the vague yet specific terms Microsoft uses to describe games when they get trailers?

Just fuckin eliminate all of that and adopt the Netflix style of branding, and call them "Xbox Originals". As the console space and their space relative to PCs for Microsoft melds together, keeping the wording "Exclusive" is proving to be kind of a headache.
E3 hinted at "Xbox Store" being a thing on PC too. Just a hunch but I think they'll have a dedicated Xbox Store app/launcher for games on Windows 10 and the Windows 10 Store will just be for apps going forward. And the management of the Xbox Store app will be fully within the control of the gaming division.

Then games will indeed be Xbox (Store) Exclusive.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I find it easier to start with a smaller studio and grow from there, have a big name leading the studio and controlling from there. Japan studios are a lot about the creators behind them, Swery, Kojima, Futatsugi, Nomura, Sakaguchi, Suda, Kamiya, Taro etc.. honestly for most big games in japan I could name you the creator, It isn't like that with western development, sure I know a few but it's truly a few. If MS can grow a studio, help the person get talent around himself and so on, I'm sure we could have some special gems.
the Problem is Japan law , It's hard to Buy a Japan Studio for a Foreign Company, So build one Is easier..

so the chance to let xbox team to control win Store is high

Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking at my tweeter feed and I follow Darrell Gallagher (Studio Head) for The Initiative and he posted the following:

6lbJtBg.png

Basically a link to a LinkedIn page listing new members of The Initiative. So I scoped out the link and these are the new members of the Initiative:

Noi0VfL.png

I don't know any of who those folks are, but something told me to grab some screenshots and I did. I then shared out the link to the tweet in the Xbox discord for Era and we found out that he deleted the tweet. A member of the discord chat (Slicerdyster) did some quick work on googling those fine folks and this is what we found out:

• Brian Westergaard worked on GoW (2018) as the lead producer.
  • Annie Lohr is the recruiter and worked at Respawn.
  • Christian Cantamessa - the writer from rdr is at the company.
  • Blake Fischer - Senior Director of Portfolio Planning for MS, but now working with The Initiative.
  • Daniel Neuburger & Lindsey McQueeney are from Crystal Dynamics.
So, looks like they are getting talented folks for this studio which makes this extremely exciting considering the games they worked on and the studio's their from. Thoughts?

Edit: Provided a bit more detail on where these hires are from.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Obsidian made POE among other things right? Those aren't my kind of games. If they become a MS studio I hope they will work on a third person or first person RPG with real-time combat. That's just my wishes and for all we know they are gonna make something entirely different.
Before PoE, they made both third and first person RPGs with real time combat. Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, and the canceled Stormlands. I can see them making these types of games again with a bigger budget from Microsoft.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So I was looking at my tweeter feed and I follow Darrell Gallagher (Studio Head) for The Initiative and he posted the following:

6lbJtBg.png

Basically a link to a LinkedIn page listing new members of The Initiative. So I scoped out the link and these are the new members of the Initiative:

Noi0VfL.png

I don't know any of who those folks are, but something told me to grab some screenshots and I did. I then shared out the link to the tweet in the Xbox discord for Era and we found out that he deleted the tweet. A member of the discord chat (Slicerdyster) did some quick work on googling those fine folks and this is what we found out:

• westergaard worked on gow as the lead producer,
  • annie is the recruiter and worked at respawn,
  • Christian Cantamessa - the writer from rdr is at the company
  • the two other people who've been at CD
So, looks like they are getting talented folks for this studio which makes this extremely exciting considering the games they worked on and the studio's their from. Thoughts?
They've literally poached Westergaard directly from Sony.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

6lbJtBg.png

Noi0VfL.png

• Blake Fischer - Senior Director of Portfolio Planning for MS, but now working with The Initiative.

Really exciting to hear. Christian Cantamessa also did some other writing work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Cantamessa

For example, he also worked on Forza Horizon, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of War to just name a few.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that means good things for the Windows Store on the gaming side of things, but hopefully sooner than later.

MS is a huge company. Change takes time.

the Problem is Japan law , It's hard to Buy a Japan Studio for a Foreign Company, So build one Is easier..

so the chance to let xbox team to control win Store is high

Don't think people get how huge the store effort is. Gaming is not staffed to handle everything involving store which includes physical and retail.

Partner with and influence, maybe depends on the new breakdown, leaders and their goals. Gaming is a small piece.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
We know that Microsoft and Obsidian Entertainment were working on Stormlands, which has changed finally to Tyranny published by Paradox Interactive. Development was really in hell.

If we remind great article from Eurogamer.net we see nice quotation.

As for Obsidian and Microsoft, whatever bridges were burned now sound repaired, and Urquhart maintains contact. He even says - in response to a question about how hard it is for independent developers to find work today, in an age where publishers do so much more internally - "Microsoft is looking..." which bodes very well.

They published this on 10 September 2017. A few days later co-owner Chris Parker said if the right opportunity came up, it's certainly something that we would do, reagarding to possibility to be acquired by some publisher.

Now we have some infos not on record from out colleague that Obsidian has already got a letter of intent, but with one sign on own side. Microsoft didn't stop with their shoppings.

So… If we connect this together, maybe there are some really possibilities to welcome Obsidian Entertainment in Microsoft Studios' family.

And… If that would be real. Imagine their next projet. TPP action–RPG/action–adventure sequel or spin–off to Tyranny potentially called as Tyranny: Stormlands!
80ee2e27d2c22.png

Maybe with changed visions and ideas but still would be great. Sentimental way
948f73f30eede.png

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Good. When I buy FH4, last thing I want is problems.
After the last redesign (it's starting to look really good, and have some nice features such as a built in library) it has been way faster for me.

I never had any trouble installing my games there, so I can't comment if that improved as well, but now it consistently maxes out my connection at least

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

6lbJtBg.png

Noi0VfL.png

Those are some great hires, Cantamessa especially.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I though that at E3 they said the store was going to be handled by the xbox team, at least the gaming part of it, isn't that the case?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I predict that five years from now, these two Microsoft first-party developers will be considered crown jewels in the industry. And when I say that I mean they'll be considered among the best of the best of the best:

Playground Games
Ninja Theory

And I think depending on how recruitment with The Initiative plays out and how Gears 5 reviews, The Initiative and The Coalition can be up there too.

I'm really really excited about Microsoft's first-party future.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
You thirsty...

So am I....
Lol. Yes I am.

6lbJtBg.png

Noi0VfL.png

Omg... These guys weren't kidding at E3 when they said MS had given them the mandate to go out and hire the best creators. I expect more devs joining the team from a lot of top studios especially CD and Activision were Darrell worked before joining MS. Also most of the guys on this team seem to have experience with narrative- driven third person shooters/explorer games ....time will tell though.

Also these guys Daniel Neuburger was a Game Director on TR & Lindsey McQueeney was a Snr Industry Recruiter at Crystal Dynamics.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I predict that five years from now, these two Microsoft first-party developers will be considered crown jewels in the industry. And when I say that I mean they'll be considered among the best of the best of the best:

Playground Games
Ninja Theory

And I think depending on how recruitment with The Initiative plays out and how Gears 5 reviews, The Initiative and The Coalition can be up there too.

At this point every MS studio has the opportunity to be the best they can be and create some really unique stuff next gen. Just going by what NT said in their video I believe 100% creative freedom has been given to all the studios and also a much bigger budget to work with and hire top talent... even Rare could release the next big thing for Xbox next gen.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Also, Age of Empires IV is looking into using the SoT water tech!

This is what I like to hear. The teams sharing tech and knowledge of the architecture. I hope they are talking shop and trading ideas strength-for-strength across all studios. Getting a few teams closer together in each region is good for this, too, imo.

So, looks like they are getting talented folks for this studio which makes this extremely exciting considering the games they worked on and the studio's their from.

My word.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.

6lbJtBg.png

Noi0VfL.png

Great additions!

Hopefully we'll get great AAA single-player only game with deep story from them! ^^

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
I feel the tagline of this thread should be "Exclusives never die, they are just missing in action"

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Playground Games
Ninja Theory

I would bet on the coalition if they expand to work on another ip, alongside gears, they have the best technical talent among microsoft studios in my opinion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would bet on the coalition if they expand two work on another ip, alongside gears, they have the best technical talento among microsft studios in my opinion.

The Coalition/Black Tusk story always fascinates me because they chose to work on Gears and Microsoft wanted Gears developed in-house but what if they passed it up and continued working on Shangheist?

Who would've developed Gears 4? The AAA studios they had at the time were Lionhead, Rare and 343i. None of them seem like a good fit for the property, would they have built a new studio or had an external studio develop a new Gears of War? Cool stuff. I have to guess Remedy would have been a good choice given their (TPS) pedigree and relationship at the time.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Really? That's a bummer :(

I thought Phil said they would be there this year with more support, but I may have misunderstood then.

Spencer said at least twice that he would probably go to tgs this year, to build relationships with Jp devs and so on. Easy to have got the idea that Xbox would be there, but TGS list is out and no Xbox in sight.

Still better than usual, since 2014 spencer skips tgs. Hopefully they go back in full strength for next gen.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
i dont know why people create that narrative... we need great games without design limitations, only this.
Maybe because Microsoft doesn't have any in a few last year? We need good competition and another exclusive focused on multiplayer only will be nothing new.

And that's why I would like to get know great stories from The Initiative, second Playground Games team or Ninja Theory for single player with AAA range and budget.

Microsoft has a lot of money. They just need put them on the table.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer said at least twice that he would probably go to tgs this year, to build relationships with Jp devs and so on. Easy to have got the idea that Xbox would be there, but TGS list is out and no Xbox in sight.

Still better than usual, since 2014 spencer skips tgs. Hopefully they go back in full strength for next gen.
He said he would make a couple more trips to Japan this year and would definitely be @ TGS. The relationship part is necessary cos in one of his post E3 interviews he talked about learning to understand the way the Japanese devs think and create games and how he realised building deeper relationships with them was something they really appreciate.

Apr 6, 2018
Maybe because Microsoft doesn't have any in a few last year? We need good competition and another exclusive focused on multiplayer only will be nothing new.

And that's why I would like to get know great stories from The Initiative, second Playground Games team or Ninja Theory for single player with AAA range and budget.

Microsoft has a lot of money. They just need put them on the table.
Sony 2014 and Nintendo 2016/2015 where way worst than msft 2017, it's normal that in a year several projects get concluded, like 2016 with many great products, or 2017 with just a few.
It was a fair criticism on the single-player fetish that is running in the core audience

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Really? That's a bummer :(

I thought Phil said they would be there this year with more support, but I may have misunderstood then.
Yes he said he's going there, not Microsoft. He said he's going there to meet with Japanese developers to get games that are planned to miss Xbox... on Xbox One.

Meaning they won't have a booth or conference but Phil will have behind closed door meetings with publishers and developers to get games on Xbox.

His exact wording was "I'm going to TGS this year to build relationships with the developers and publishers in Japan."

Status
Not open for further replies.