• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Was State of Decay 2 considered AAA? I haven't played it myself, but I was under the impression that it was priced at $40 since it was a AA title. I suppose State of Decay 3 can be AAA if it has a large enough budget/team behind it.
Yeah, it was considered AAA for Microsoft. It was on the lower-end (at least from rumors), but still AAA. 40+ is AAA for Microsoft. 100+ is apparently AAAA for Microsoft.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sony has 13, not 12 (technically 15 if you include their smartphone studio and their global publishing studio, but I don't add those because I did't include MS Casual Games, Lift London or MSGP because of what they do). They're probably forgetting the San Mateo Studio that's supposed to work on Uncharted.

Sony has 7 AAA studios (well it's 8 with San Mateo). Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, San Diego, and San Mateo. I personally don't count Japan Studio (mainly collaborations and small teams that work with other studios). They're an AAA team through collaborations, not of themselves (they're kind of like Ninja Theory now except Ninja Theory isn't doing collaborations as far as we know).

Microsoft's can vary too depending on who you classify as AAA (like Ninja Theory). They are 343 Industries, The Coalition, Playground Games, Rare, Turn 10, Undead Labs, and The Initiative. So Microsoft has 7 or 8 depending on if you count Ninja Theory. Undead Labs is smaller right now, but they're growing in size quite a bit and State of Decay 2 is considered AAA so I included them.

So MS has the same amount of AAA studios currently as them. That'll definitely be surpassed if what we're hearing happens at XO18, and by next year, they'll probably surpass the amount of studios Sony has (MS is currently at 10).
Don't forget Playground is now two separate AAA studios, one for the next FH and the other for the rumoured Fable game.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, now we can remove them from the list of the studios from texas.

So my guess now is Arkane Studios
You think Bethesda is going to sell one (or both USA&France) of it's best studios? no way in hell are they selling those to MS. It's more likely to be Certain Affinity who has a long relationship with MS.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Their games are selling like shit tho, that's why I said Arkane
But that doesn't mean you ditch them, going by job postings they are looking into online play. They are a very talented studio you don't just give up talent, you explore a different way to have success. Also Bethesda isn't EA, I doubt they would want to sell them or shut them down right away.

It's considered the same developer so I didn't include them, but I did think about it. Honestly, if Ralph Fulton wasn't over both studios and teams, then I might have.
Thats a weird reason to not count them as two studios, considering there is a lot of crossover between Turn10 and Playground in the same way. If Playground tomorrow decided to give the other studio a different name then it would be counted as 2, so it doesn't make sense to count them as one because of a shared name with the studios having different leads, management, producers etc. It's best to count the number of individual teams and each separate studio, that way you know how many project are in the works and the management those teams fall under.

Last edited:

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Mouse support is OS wide and not just in games. Kinda like how keyboard is now, can be used to navigate everywhere. I know there was that leaked image of a dashboard mouse setting awhile back so its probably the case. Will make using some of the applications easier.

Also would certainly make the experience better for m/k games if I don't have to pick up a controller to open the game up.
Hell, I hope they add cursor as an option for the controller as well. With the mostly large UI objects, I've thought for years (since Destiny nailed the cursor UI with a controller) that it would be nice to be able to navigate the UI with a cursor (at least as an option).

Blops 4 has an interesting navigation option in its menus, the d-pad navigates between "clickable" buttons, while the left stick allows you to use a cursor.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
For some reasons, Bluepoint Games might be it. They're currently hiring for a secret project that's bigger than Shadow of the Colossus remake. They're also in Texas.

For life of me, I couldn't find the article of rumor about affecting Sony in huge way or something. Bluepoint Games works mostly with Sony on many remake/remastered. They looks like AAA studio.

Jul 13, 2018
Yeah, it was considered AAA for Microsoft. It was on the lower-end (at least from rumors), but still AAA. 40+ is AAA for Microsoft. 100+ is apparently AAAA for Microsoft.
Just so we're on the same page, do you mean a $100 million budget or $100 USD retail price? Unless we count a potential season pass, I don't think Microsoft will be selling games for $100 anytime soon lol

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft definitely doesn't consider 100+ AAAA, 343 is AAAA. The Coalition is considered AAA, SOD2 was made with a 100+ that is definitely not considered AAAA.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Just so we're on the same page, do you mean a $100 million budget or $100 USD retail price? Unless we count a potential season pass, I don't think Microsoft will be selling games for $100 anytime soon lol

Microsoft definitely doesn't consider 100+ AAAA, 343 is AAAA. The Coalition is considered AAA, SOD2 was made with a 100+ that is definitely not considered AAAA.
Sorry I mean budget, not developers. AAAA is 100+ Million, and AAA is 40+ million.
Thats a weird reason to not count them as two studios, considering there is a lot of crossover between Turn10 and Playground in the same way. If Playground tomorrow decided to give the other studio a different name then it would be counted as 2, so it doesn't make sense to count them as one because of a shared name with the studios having different leads, management, producers etc. It's best to count the number of individual teams and each separate studio, that way you know how many project are in the works and the management those teams fall under.
They're the same developer, but two studios (when I was talking about studios before in my original comment, I was talking about developers because of the question). I guess I should have clarified/used different words because I made it confusing.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018
I'm sure "AAAA" is just a marketing term that Microsoft is using. Unless The Initiative's game completely revolutionizes the industry, it'll most likely just be a big budget AAA game. Destiny has like a $500 million budget and it's AAA.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
For some reasons, Bluepoint Games might be it. They're currently hiring for a secret project that's bigger than Shadow of the Colossus remake. They're also in Texas.

For life of me, I couldn't find the article of rumor about affecting Sony in huge way or something. Bluepoint Games works mostly with Sony on many remake/remastered. They looks like AAA studio.

Hmm. Was just researching this company. Their independent as well. Only thing is, they take a loooooong time to finish games. Still though; an acquisition would set the gaming community ablaze.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Hmm. Was just researching this company. Their independent as well. Only thing is, they take a loooooong time to finish games. Still though; an acquisition would set the gaming community ablaze.
That would honestly be HUGE. In the Sony first party thread everyone has been talking about how Bluepoint has an unannounced PS4 exclusive in the works (and they're of course assuming it will be PS4 exclusive because they've only worked on PS3 and PS4 games). If at X0 they announced they were purchasing Bluepoint and their expected PS4 exclusive was an Xbox next gen exclusive, ResetEra would quite literally melt.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I'm sure "AAAA" is just a marketing term that Microsoft is using. Unless The Initiative's game completely revolutionizes the industry, it'll most likely just be a big budget AAA game. Destiny has like a $500 million budget and it's AAA.
Interestingly enough, Microsoft used the AAAA term before back in 2012.

Anyways, it just depends on the Publisher. What is AAA to some companies is AA to others. The classification isn't universal.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry budget, not developers. AAAA is 100+ Million.

They're the same developer, but two studios (when I was talking about studios before, I was talking about developers). I guess I should have clarified/used different words because I made it confusing.
Gotcha.
MS uses AAAA for very large productions like 343 with 500-600 devs 4-5 yrs.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
interestingly enough, Microsoft used the AAAA term before back in 2012.

Anyways, it just depends on the Publisher. What is AAA to some companies is AA to others. The classification isn't universal.
Microsoft considers AAAA games like Gears 5 and Halo Infinite I'm pretty sure. I think it's a triple-A game that has a budget higher than Microsoft would normally be willing to spend on one individual game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That would honestly be HUGE. In the Sony first party thread everyone has been talking about how Bluepoint has an unannounced PS4 exclusive in the works (and they're of course assuming it will be PS4 exclusive because they've only worked on PS3 and PS4 games). If at X0 they announced they were purchasing Bluepoint and their expected PS4 exclusive was an Xbox next gen exclusive, ResetEra would quite literally melt.

Is this finally the "breaking a PS4" moment?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I don't see the point in Bluepoint unless they want to start doing original content. It has to be Certain Affinity that Klobrille was talking about. I would say Armature, but I don't think Klobrille ever suggested or advocated them, did he?
Microsoft considers AAAA games like Gears 5 and Halo Infinite I'm pretty sure. I think it's a triple-A game that has a budget higher than Microsoft would normally be willing to spend on one individual game.
Gears 5 might be AAAA, but I'm not entirely sure. Halo Infinite definitely is though, and The Initiative is supposed to be a AAAA Developer too.

That job listing was probably for The Coalition back before they became Black Tusk, at least that's my guess. They were supposed to make a series rivaling Halo, so it would make sense.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
You think Bethesda is going to sell one (or both USA&France) of it's best studios? no way in hell are they selling those to MS. It's more likely to be Certain Affinity who has a long relationship with MS.
I too am happy as hell its not playful. I see nothing in them.
I've been advocating for certain affinity for a long time.
While arkane is a long shot I wouldn't completely rule them out. Bethesda wasn't happy with dishonored 2's or prey's performance. And both a Texas and France studio is rumored to be in Microsoft's eye. Doesn't arkane have teams at both those locations?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It would be... . insane. But fair game though. I can't imagine what a talented team like Blueprint could do with power like that found in the X or Scarlett. OMG.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So, lets make a list:

Playful -- Denied straight from the horses mouth
Armature -- most likely, worked on an exclusive for MS in the past, but very small, not really capable of making big budget AAA games
Certain Affinity -- Has worked with MS the most, Halo especially, small percentage of the company owned by Chinese corporation, can be bought from them by MS, but still, possibly rules this one out.
Bluepoint -- Unlikely, no track record with MS, remasters only, no original work, very heavily related to Sony. Only likely since its an indie studio.

My guess, based off "math", is Armature.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I too am happy as hell its not playful. I see nothing in them.
I've been advocating for certain affinity for a long time.
While arkane is a long shot I wouldn't completely rule them out. Bethesda wasn't happy with dishonored 2's or prey's performance. And both a Texas and France studio is rumored to be in Microsoft's eye. Doesn't arkane have teams at both those locations?
They did fine. They just didn't do as good as expected. They're hard at work on multiple games with a lot of job listings. If they're thinking of selling Arkane, then they're thinking of doing the same to Tango and Machine Games as well.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So, lets make a list:

Playful -- Denied straight from the horses mouth
Armature -- most likely, worked on an exclusive for MS in the past, but very small, not really capable of making big budget AAA games
Certain Affinity -- Has worked with MS the most, Halo especially, small percentage of the company owned by Chinese corporation, can be bought from them by MS, but still, possibly rules this one out.
Bluepoint -- Unlikely, no track record with MS, remasters only, no original work, very heavily related to Sony. Only likely since its an indie studio.

My guess, based off "math", is Armature.
When did Playful ever deny an acquisition?

Iron Galaxy denied an acquisition but Playful never did to my knowledge.

Jul 13, 2018
Does anyone on here know anything regarding that Coalition/Storylab Productions collaboration? I recall a new IP was mentioned at the time. I know Microsoft pretty much shut down the rumors of a new IP, but I'm not sure if Klobrille mentioned anything on the topic.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
When did Playful ever deny an acquisition?

Iron Galaxy denied an acquisition but Playful never did to my knowledge.

Does anyone on here know anything regarding that Coalition/Storylab Productions collaboration? I recall a new IP was mentioned at the time. I know Microsoft pretty much shut down the rumors of a new IP, but I'm not sure if Klobrille mentioned anything on the topic.
It's probably Captain America!
/s I wish, but would that even be a new IP?

Some thought it was them going back to Shangheist or something similar, but nothing was ever stated.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

A page or two back, their tweet denying an acquisition was linked.
TY. Armature still seems the most unlikely to me though, as crazy as I sound saying this, I think it's more unlikely than Bluepoint. I could see Armature if they were doing acquisitions two years ago, I don't think Armature is relevant to Microsoft anymore. They don't really have tons of high quality talent either.

If Playful is out, Certain Affinity or Bluepoint methinks.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Please go on another spending spree, by SEGA and Deep Silver / 4A Games.
Deep Silver isn't independent, THQ Nordic bought them earlier this year.

As for buying SEGA, this will never happen because buying SEGA means buying billions of assets that Microsoft doesn't want. Makes more sense to buy individual teams than publishers because of all the bloat they would have to cut down to afford the running costs on their budget and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.