• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't see American publishers successfully buying out Eastern studios for a reason.
Bethesda seemingly had no issues buying out Tango Gameworks.
With Japanese culture, hard to imagine a studio of talented employees willing to make games that never get played by Japanese people.
If you're a AAA game developer in Japan, your game is not going to be played by a majority of the Japanese gaming market unless it's on the Switch or something. The global market is what really matters nowdays due to the Japanese games market atrophying so much. At this point, if you want to make big budget games in Japan, your best option is to hope someone like Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or *whispers* Google is willing to throw large amounts of money at you.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I know it's not Arkane since they are owned by Bethesda and I doubt they are willing to sell it but it would be such a nice fit for Microsoft...

I'm here just imagining how amazing would be a Perfect Dark immersive sim made by Arkane Studios.

With that said, it's probably Certain Affinity, since it's not Playful.

Oct 26, 2017
With all the talk about Xbox maybe buying Playful... I found their reply to someone who posted as a response to my vid about Bethesda interesting.

https://twitter.com/playfulcorp/status/1051977923803123713

I enjoyed SLT for what it was but if they should be part of MS... I don't know. Maybe this developer has the potential to really grow though, plus SLT was great for kids too. Perhaps they could continue to make games for them and also grown ups, lol, because as a 35 year old last year I quite enjoyed it.

Did we ever hear why the dev behind Max: The curse of brotherhood was let go?

Jan 4, 2018
I don't. Microsoft seems to be cautiously aggressive. I wouldn't rule out Microsoft ever owning a Japanese studio just don't see any short term possibilities that make sense. 2nd party relationships make a lot more sense.

You don't see American publishers successfully buying out Eastern studios for a reason. Studio ends up being worthless if all the top talent leaves. With Japanese culture, hard to imagine a studio of talented employees willing to make games that never get played by Japanese people.

If Microsoft were to actually purchase a Japanese studio, I believe it would be a unique relationship. They probably wouldn't keep their games permantely exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem.
Actually, I think xCloud has the potential to be huge in Japan.
As a market where smartphones are so prevalent, having MH:W or eventually FFVII remake available to play on smartphones can give them the competitive boost they need.
And if they have some japanese exclusive content to top it off I think we can all be surprised.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
MS said they would build new studios around top talents in the Industry.. They've done that with The Initiative and Darrell ... I wonder who is next?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Random one, but anyone here enjoy writing about video games and would like to contribute to a project? It's mainly Xbox/PC focused, and I've kind of let things slide a bit, but I'd love to start putting more energy into reviews/streaming etc again. PM me I guess.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Chris Avellone and Cliffy B spring to mind.
Chris wants to stay a freelancer and I don't know if he'd want to be on the same FP Studio team as Obsidian, would he? I'm not sure whether Cliffy would be good because he has a tendency to say stuff MS PR wouldn't like.
I think there are many who would jump at the opportunity to run a AAA studio fully backed by MS.
True, but it's hard to know who'd jump at the opportunity. I'd say ones that have moved between developers at least a couple more times are more likely.

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, he was just having a bit of fun. I think.

Even if Banjo is in development, Rare certainly isn't developing it.

And look at his new Twitter profile - he was just being funny.
Rare's account seemed alarmed hahah

Genuine question: he talks about having left easter eggs before, but easter eggs isn't something you use to make a reference to some actual thing? I mean, if the project doesn't exist qualifies as an easter egg too? (In plus of being a cruelty to fans, that is hahaha)

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Bruce Straley, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka , Jason Rubin and Amy Hennig.
Bruce is MIA (might be at TI, but still unknown). Greg is drinking beer and making diaries about them. Ray is out of the game industry and into something else. Jason is over at Oculus. And Amy has her own studio.

The two I can think of is Mike Laidlaw and Casey Hudson. Casey went to MS for awhile for HoloLens, so maybe he could be convinced to come back with his own studio (Anthem is close to completion too)? Mike is working on smaller games last I recalled, and he left because of the state DA4 was in.
you forgot to add hironobu sakaguchi to that list.
Last I've heard, he doesn't want to be in the AAA business.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Bruce is MIA (might be at TI, but still unknown). Greg is drinking beer and making diaries about them. Ray is out of the game industry and into something else. Jason is over at Oculus. And Amy has her own studio.

The two I can think of is Mike Laidlaw and Casey Hudson. Casey went to MS for awhile for HoloLens, so maybe he could be convinced to come back with his own studio (Anthem is close to completion too)? Mike is working on smaller games last I recalled, and he left because of the state DA4 was in.

I could see Hudson wanting to revive Mass Effect first.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Casey Hudson is back at BioWare. Hopefully making Anthem as good as it can be.

Never considered the Doctors. Imagine a RPG studio with them heading it and Avellone as creative lead. I know we have Obsidian but I'm getting greedy here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

under the right circumstances these guys would gladly jump back into the Industry...and I believe MS is in the best position to do this right now.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still think Cliffy would be a good get if you back his crazy ideas, has a solid tech team behind him and also someone to reign his PR mouth in.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky development shouldn't be reason to hate game, like, who cares if it took additional time to make game good/great? As I said before, Crackdown fans (like me) will appreciate if extended dev time resulted in better game. People who don't care or hate Crackdown 3 will use whatever reason as ammunition to attack game.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
OtherSide Entertainment would be an interesting get. Warren Spector is currently developing System Shock 3 there. They're also based in Texas. Not sure about their size though. They focus on immersive sims.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
CliffyB is too confident and arrogant. We could see his DUMB reactions when his latest game didn't do well. He's not same as he was in Epic with Microsoft. And he wouldn't fit to anywhere in Microsoft Studios. Let him be free. And I don't think that any big developer and publisher would want to take him on the board.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cliffy is stuck in the 360 and PS3 era imo. He style doesnt fit with todays MS/Xbox imo. His style was perfect with Gears on the 360.
But now not so much. Same for Greenberg imo. He needs to tone it down also a notch. It doesnt fit in the Spencer era.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for Splinter Cell, Ubi recently said they didn't know what the future for SC and PoP was. Wonder where Rodney got that info from.
Splinter Cell was listed in the Walmart leak that leaked a large number of the games that appeared at E3 and Gamescom. Ubisoft are evasive about the game but the next Splinter Cell does exist. You are right, though. It's a very good question. Based on the wording, perhaps Michael Ironside has been spotted in Westmount, Canada? Rodney is Canadian, I believe.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Splinter Cell was listed in the Walmart leak that leaked a large number of the games that appeared at E3 and Gamescom. Ubisoft are evasive about the game but the next Splinter Cell does exist. You are right, though. It's a very good question. Based on the wording, perhaps Michael Ironside has been spotted in Westmount, Canada? Rodney is Canadian, I believe.
Going by his Twitter he is in quebec city.

Oct 26, 2017

Aaaah right, I forgot about Walmart. Plus the fact that they had Sam in GR Wildlands all of a sudden. Back then I really thought it was a clear tease for E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.