• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this means no more CRPGs on Steam/GOG from Obsidian or any RPG. Well shit.

It's gonna be hard to play an Obsidian game without Nexus mods.

A console Obsidian game is like Caffe Latte without the cream on top.

Oct 26, 2017
would love for obsidian get get acquired by microsoft.

and have part of obsidian's roll to be to run a internal program for microsofts studios on story telling and RPG's

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
If this means no more CRPGs on Steam/GOG from Obsidian or any RPG. Well shit.

It's gonna be hard to play an Obsidian game without Nexus mods.

A console Obsidian game is like Caffe Latte without the cream on top.
If this means more RPGs like New Vegas. Well shit.

I'm excited.

It'll still be on PC, bro.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
They're an excellent independent developer that's relatively PC-centric. I'm never keen on the idea of those being purchased by major publishers such as Microsoft or Sony unless it's absolutely necessary.
Even if this turns out to be true wouldn't the acquisition be something the developer signed off on too? I keep saying this. If a dev thinks the offer being proposed isn't worth it then they could always pass on it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Would love Creative Assembly. I think they did a great job with Halo Wars 2. If a HW3 were to come to come out, I would want 2-4 less leaders, but increase the MP Map Count by about 6-8 more Maps with some Snow Levels as well. Flesh out the Single Player campaign some more and ship it with both the UNSC and Covie single player campaigns. If Blitz mode were to move forward, it must have more that one Map to play that mode. Make at least 6 maps for Blitz.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They're an excellent independent developer that's relatively PC-centric. I'm never keen on the idea of those being purchased by major publishers such as Microsoft or Sony unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thats not really true, not only has the majority of their games released on console (even isometric ones.) But their recent releases like POE are due to their lack of success in the triple AAA space, having to get by on Kickstarter. Translating their big budget AAA RPG ideas into far cheaper and within potential Kickstarter budget isometric RPG's. If they were successful in the AAA space they would still be making big open world AAA RPG's, their current direction is out of necessity and budget. So if they want to get back to making those kind of games, New Vegas, Kotor etc they need a big publisher, Obsidian has talked about being open to purchase in the past.

They can't make another Fallout without getting "thumbs up" from Bethesda/Zenimax regardless wherever they get acquired by MS or not.
Vin said "like."

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would love Creative Assembly. I think they did a great job with Halo Wars 2. If a HW3 were to come to come out, I would want 2-4 less leaders, but increase the MP Map Count by about 6-8 more Maps with some Snow Levels as well. Flesh out the Single Player campaign some more and ship it with both the UNSC and Covie single player campaigns. If Blitz mode were to move forward, it must have more that one Map to play that mode. Make at least 6 maps for Blitz.

I would not if it means no more Total War which is CAs biggest success series (I think).

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
They can't make another Fallout without getting "thumbs up" from Bethesda/Zenimax regardless wherever they get acquired by MS or not.
An indie studio getting the backing of MS is great imo.

These types of studios that are hamstringed by being independent and lack of larger budgets, but are flowing with talent and creativity are the perfect studios for MS (or Sony or Nintendo).

As a gamer, if you own all 3 consoles, I don't see why you wouldn't get excited to see some of these "on the cusp" developers getting more attention, increased recruiting and budget.

Idk man, I don't share in your concern at all.

Edit: just saw your post above, no offense, and I'm not meaning this in a rude way at all, but every time this thread talks about acquisitions (which ARE happening regardless), you chime in with some reason why or how it would suck if MS acquired this dev or that dev ("would suck if x would be no more" etc)

I feel like you dont see some of the good this can do.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I hope next gen MS resurrects XSN sports...at least would be nice if they brought back MLB, Tennis and Rally.
Been wishing for this but I doubt it's gonna happen.

Only reason XSN sports existed was to have the same sports games PS2 was getting exclusive to their console.

A lot of those sports games released on that brand name idk would sell now and obviously more budgets would have to be given to those games unless they wanted to treat them as budget releases.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An indie studio getting the backing of MS is great imo.

These types of studios that are hamstringed by being independent and lack of larger budgets, but are flowing with talent and creativity are the perfect studios for MS (or Sony or Nintendo).

As a gamer, if you own all 3 consoles, I don't see why you wouldn't get excited to see some of these "on the cusp" developers getting more attention, increased recruiting and budget.

Idk man, I don't share in your concern at all.

My only concerns are if MS buy a PC-centric studio and they stop making the PC-only games the studios have (CA - Total War) or the games that pretty much are must-have for mods stops being released on storefronts that have an open ecosystem for mods. As in, the games are not locked down, you can't edit files.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
It could allow them to create the games they dream of though. Right now they seam to be forced into smaller AA titles. I still remember the days when they matched BioWare and Bethesda in quality(kotor2 and new Vegas). I'd like to see that from them again.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Been wishing for this but I doubt it's gonna happen.

Only reason XSN sports existed was to have the same sports games PS2 was getting exclusive to their console.

A lot of those sports games released on that brand name idk would sell now and obviously more budgets would have to be given to those games unless they wanted to treat them as budget releases.
They need to create games in the genres they're currently lacking. An MLB game would be great also an exclusive Tennis game would be a nice addition.
If they really want to make game pass attractive to all types of gamers then they need to create the most diverse and unique content including sports titles. NFL , MLB , Tennis etc quality sports titles day one on game pass would pull in huge audiences.

Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian:
- A microsoft studio

- Proudly Presents
- In collaboration with
- Coalition studios

- Gears: New Sera

A Fallout new vegas style RPG set in the gears of war universe.
After the events of gears 5.

my potato dreams

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Mass effect style rpg based off Buck and Osiris team from halo.

Give me that 343 ass Halo in 3rd person and make Infinite classic Halo

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Obsidian Entertainment letter-of-intent for an acquisition by MS. Dated before E3. No written sign of a MS employee (only Obsidian). I'm not as sure on this one as I was with the Playground Games LOI I got access to earlier this year. That's all I have right now. Hope that's transparent enough for you guys. I can't validate it any further, I'm sorry.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I don't see Obsidian not being able to make Isometric RPGs anymore after the acquisition. If anything, it would be the side project many of Microsoft's studios have. 150 can work on the AAA game, and the rest can work on the Isometric RPG.

My question is if the acquisition happens, what happens to titles like The Outer Worlds which was rumored to be in a publishing deal with Take-Two under their Private Division Label?

Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian Entertainment letter-of-intent for an acquisition by MS. Dated before E3. No written sign of a MS employee (only Obsidian). I'm not as sure on this one as I was with the Playground Games LOI I got access to earlier this year. That's all I have right now. Hope that's transparent enough for you guys. I can't validate it any further, I'm sorry.
if its just a letter of intent, I feel, tons of those get passed around.

the only thing that leans towards 30% likely hood for me is.

A. Miucrosoft is acquiring studios and talent it is missing and needs.
B. Obsidian has stated that they are interested in getting purchased

I don't see Obsidian not being able to make Isometric RPGs anymore after the acquisition. If anything, it would be the side project many of Microsoft's studios have. 150 can work on the AAA game, and the rest can work on the Isometric RPG.

My question is if the acquisition happens, what happens to titles like The Outer Worlds which was rumored to be in a publishing deal with Take-Two under their Private Division Label?

to counter, ISO's that could run on mobile would be fantastic and make tons of money.
ISO's and RPG's in general is what microsoft is sorely lacking atm

if Obsidian is purchased, Expect nothing to change besides more polished games coming out. honestly ( with the current managers and exec's at micro)

Status
Not open for further replies.