1. vorimenn

vorimenn
    Banned Member

Where did you read this?

2. Rumblebones

Rumblebones

I actually was very cynical for a long time and Scalebound made me get a PC and PS4. I haven't used my XB1 in nearly 2 years.

A part of me is having fun here, but I'm genuinely optimistic based on what I've seen and heard.

That's one way to look at it, but Phil said he decided to give it more time because, while it looked good, it didn't feel like a proper Crackdown game, so they put it back in the oven a bit longer.

To me, that speaks to how much they value the IP and how confident they are it can be done.

I wish he had joined 343i and sorted their shit out. I'd feel much better about Halo if he was still in charge.

3. TiagoCosta

TiagoCosta

Considering these are exactly the games Spencer talked about that we didn't get yet... it's not that impossible.

But if you read my post you will see that I'm not expecting them Saturday.

4. More Butter

More Butter

Why the fuck are people talking about Banjo???!? Is there some credible rumor out there!! People should know not to talk about it unless there is something there...

5. Finaj

Finaj

I think it's because of the 20th anniversary of Banjo Kazooie and some people expect -something-.

6. PositiveGamer

PositiveGamer

Does the plushies count?

7. Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Which part? The sales: https://www.resetera.com/threads/obsidians-pillars-of-eternity-2-sold-like-shit-110-000-sales.79558/

The other part is from an interview early this year or late last year where Obsidian head said Micro were looking for studios. The implication was that they'd been approached and rejected the offer, probably expecting their projects to do better. Now, after their game bombs, we have strong rumors they are being acquired. I think it's clear what happened.

8. Neural

Neural

So, a friend of mine noticed this nosing around in Robeyone's (Senior Producer on Age of Empires) followed games on Live, and I just confirmed it (I took the screenshot):

[​IMG]

Is this the new name for the game or just a placeholder? New Providence is the city where the game's Campaign takes place, but it seems odd to put it into the title, when everyone already knows it as Crackdown 3.

Edit: he found this too, but once he closed it and tried to reopen it, it was showing PC instead of Xbox One. I couldn't replicate it.

[​IMG]

9. Karateka

Karateka

Sitting on Banjo is the dumbest thing MS have done. They have a beloved character that is kid friendly and in a genre they have no good games in (platformer) and they refuse to fund a sequel.

If netflix owned Banjo there would be a 6 season netflix exclusive tvshow by now, it would probably be below average but at least it would exist.

Find it hard to believe there is no talent to make a banjo game.

Also Banjo's gameplay has not aged poorly. If you tighten up the responsiveness of the controls and other issues it plays just as smooth as any modern mario game.

Was there not an interview months ago where Obsidian said they were open to being acquired?

10. Chettlar

Chettlar

Gotta admit these official xbox tweets are not hyping me up... Be nice to get a real tease.

11. iscodisco93

iscodisco93

thats a good name, make a topic on it

12. pswii60

pswii60

Xbox division has been in a funny spot for some years though. They wouldn't have had the budget to do Banjo justice with a AAA game, because they know it wouldn't be a massive seller (albeit platformers seem to be more popular again now) compared to their bankable franchises. And making a B-tier Banjo game would result in far more backlash than not making one at all. When you have a shoestring budget, you have to take these choices.

But now, between the success of Crash and Xbox's significantly increased first party budget, there at least now stands a chance of it happening again - but still, the right team has to develop it. And the right team might not be available right now.

13. SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Knowing that Phil Spencer and Matt Booty will be there is reassuring for me.

14. Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Maybe. The one I'm referring to came out shortly after the Stormlands story was revealed. The consensus at the time was that they would not work again with Microsoft. Then I guess life happened.

15. PositiveGamer

PositiveGamer

Is the calm before the storm. This feels the same prior to E32018. I remember many saying Xbox was dead. The predictions were all poor.

16. Chris.

Chris.

Yup makes a lot of sense.

When your game sells that poorly something has to give. I guess MS doesn't mind taking on games that don't sell too hot, as they will just stick it on Game Pass anyways.

17. Rychu

Rychu

They said Phil Spencer (Vice President of Gaming) and Matt Booty (the head of Microsoft Studios) will make guest appearances. That’s enough IMO.

18. Dr. Caroll

Dr. Caroll

MS are not refusing to do anything. Rare don't want to make another Banjo game, and Rare have control over their properties. MS can't/won't make a new Banjo title without Rare's approval.

19. Tetrinski

Tetrinski

That doesn't mean that RARE won't allow another studio to work on Banjo, they did with Battletoads and, quite frankly, if they don't want to do it themselves I don't see why they'd mind.

20. Taylo207

Taylo207

Could you describe what your friend found? the images aren't coming up for me for some reason.

21. pswii60

pswii60

You're getting confused. The interview is here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ow-rpgs-greatest-survivors-kept-the-lights-on

The part where they discuss Microsoft is with regards to them looking to sign new publishing projects/contracts, not with regards to being acquired. The acquisition talk is separate and doesn't mention Microsoft.

22. Dr. Caroll

Dr. Caroll

It'll only happen if Gregg likes the pitch. There's a reason that Nuts & Bolts won out over the other Banjo 3 prototypes.

23. NimbusCub

NimbusCub

Totally fair. Even in preview, I wonder if they'll launch a few games that can support controller and KB&M to gather more feedback. Game Pass seems a great place to launch titles that experiment with different features due to the large instant install base.

Kindred spirits I see. I don't own a Xbox right now, but it's easily my favorite of the big 3. It's been difficult to have to pick 2 of the 3, and I want Microsoft to be successful on the exclusives side to give me another reason to make them my primary platform again.

This is also my favorite place on Era because of the genuine conversation and relative absence of toxicity and negativity.

24. Neural

Neural

He found Crackdown 3 listed as "Crackdown 3: New Providence". And then he found AoE: Definitive Edition listed for Xbox One, but it looks like this lasted very little and it quickly went back to showing PC as the game platform.

25. Rumblebones

Rumblebones

Microsoft sitting on Banjo for as long as it has is probably the single most cynical thing they have done to Rare or perhaps in the gaming space in general.

26. Chris.

Chris.

That crackdown name doesn't make much sense imo.. Probably why it's gonna happen LOL. I figure if they were gonna add a subtitle, they would remove the number aswell.

27. Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Oh I see. It's still interesting though, because that's around the time they signed the deal for their next project, which means they chose a different publisher over Microsoft (or Microsoft didn't like their ideas). It still does seem like the bad sales of their last game was what made them decide to sell the company.

What would be our reaction if on Saturday they announce three new studios and Obsidians is NOT one of them lol

28. It's great that Phil will be there, but he was also present during one of the daily E3 shows last year and I believe this year he was too? Don't think he really had any big news there though. But that was right after their E3 show, this is different for sure.

29. Lukas Taves

Lukas Taves

Who is this?

30. Regis

Regis

Yup, i remember Shinobi62's expectations about E3, he gave Microsoft an 8/10 and 10/10 for Sony, LoL.
    We all know the rest of the story

31. Rychu

Rychu

Don’t know who that is, his bio says Dutch gaming ninja, the use of the word ninja might mean he’s an insider? That would be a megaton if Warcraft is coming to Xbox One with KB+M support.

32. Why do you say it’s MS guilt not to release another Banjo?

Like others told you it’s totally in Rare’s hands to greenlit the project.

33. SPDIF

SPDIF

Weren't they once upon a time supposed to be splitting CD3 up into two distinct modes? The way they talked about it in the past made it seem like the multiplayer destruction mode (Wrecking Zone or whatever it's called) would be a completely separate package to download/install. So it's possible the single player package is called 'Crackdown 3: New Providence' and the multiplayer destruction mode will be called 'Crackdown 3: Wrecking Zone'.

Or maybe that was the original plan, and the naming scheme for pre-release builds of the game is just a relic of the old plan. We'll have to wait and see, but when the game finally releases next year everything might be included under a single 'Crackdown 3' package.

34. Chettlar

Chettlar

Why is that? I feel like they could just be there to annouce a new studio and maybe a good game that'll come out a long time from now.

Idk. Not trying to be pessimistic. I just feel like I should keep expectations low.

35. Rychu

Rychu

A studio acquisition and one first party game reveal is about my expectations. I think that would be great.

36. Just to be sure, that wouldn't be World of Warcraft right?

37. Chettlar

Chettlar

I just feel lile the new game won't really excite me. Idk. Just a hunch.

38. Same here. That along with more Ori 2 footage, release date, Crackdown 3, Gears 5 will make for a fine show!

39. SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

That's Warcraft 3.

And that's not gonna happen. That's game is built on an engine from 2000. And remastering will take another year.

40. Aokiji

Aokiji

it's warcraft 3. not the MMO WoW

41. Right, its the RTS remake

42. PositiveGamer

PositiveGamer

Sounds amazing to me lol

43. SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Just a fan.

44. Windu

Windu

Blizzard is not going to limit their games to one console. Not artificially anyway.

Its possible Microsoft would allow m/k only games and Sony would require controller input as well. Doubtful though.

45. Rychu

Rychu

If you liked Hellblade, I think you’ll like this game. I would expect it to be the same format anyway, AAA cinematic narrative driven game. Releasing in early 2020. Book it.

46. SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

What if the new game is a new Viva Pinata?????

47. Lukas Taves

Lukas Taves

No, it's a Warcraft 3 remaster

48. Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher
    Crisis Dino - Snake is in Smash Moderator

I'd fully expect Age of Empires to come to xbox via Play-Anywhere.

The current rumors on that and Warcraft make me wonder about Controller support though.

Would you really release RTS's on Xbox that have no form of controller support?

49. Rychu

Rychu

I think something Gears is a definite. I don’t think it’s Gears 5 anymore though, thinking we will get Tactics info or gameplay.

50. pillars 2 only sold 100k?

=(

I bought it.

=(