• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2017
Microsoft Studios are currently streaming Sunset Overdrive on mixer, can't tell if it's just them playing a game or if their may be an underlying message of....were working on Sunset Overdrive 2.

Maybe just reading too much into it.

Oct 27, 2017
That was 10 or so years ago. Times have changed and people flock like sheep to the multiplatform games that are either easier to play (CoD) , the hot newest thing (Fortnight) or generic military shooters. Millions of players have kept up with the Halo series since Reach, both 4 and 5 have sold well and the population for Halo 5 has been an improvement over Halo 4 which can only mean good things for the franchise going forward. Combined with continued support of MCC andInfinite I feel the franchise will be in good hands

Debatable, while there are things 343i have stumbled with both Halo 4 and Halo 5 do feel like Halo games, they feel different yes, but each Halo game has a different feel from the previous due to general gameplay and engine changes/updates.

Halo has always evolved/changed. Halo 4 was for better or worse the next evolution gameplay wise from Reach which introduced loadouts and Spartan Abilities. Halo 5 was the result of very vocal feedback from the Halo pro-community.

I enjoy WZFF amd it made sense to use Warzone as a template for firefight in Halo 5. I never got the overhype for ODST firefight as it eventually got repetitive and Reach firefight even got somewhat boring as AI pathfinding was easily exploited to get easy kills.

That is something I have been very vocal about, especially in regards to the default H5 rocket launcher filling for the SPNKR. With Halo Wars 2 though and Infinite having a more classic visual style it does seem like alot is being looked at. Bungie was not innocent on this either though.

Did you even play the Halo 4 and Halo 5 campaigns? There were plenty of silence moments and Halo 5 had exploration moments aswell. I agree that Halo 4 was extremely linear but that was probably due to limitations of the Xbox 360's hardware as Halo 5 improve from there.

That’s your taste and I can’t argue with you there. I respect that. :)

WZ FF is the worst PVE I’ve played. A huge downgrade from previous versions.

H4 and specially 5 are not only the worst Halo campaign I’ve played. But one of the worst campaigns I’ve played , ever.

No Halo feeling to it and not A Halo game. Nothing in it screams Halo.

What exploration are talking about? The three walk around *missions* ? This one right here is a disaster by its own.

The warden fights? LMAO

I’ve been playing Halo ever since it came out, day one with the original Xbox. Always enjoyed it. Replayed over 100 times. Never thought for a second that there will come a day where I will get bored playing Halo.

And that day came, it was the day I played H5.
And while playing H5 there was one thought going through my mind, When will it end? When will this horrible experience end? A constant constipation. That’s what H5 is. A bad Halo game and a bad game that shouldn’t have been released.

So I guess I disagree with you on every point and we can’t see eye to eye on this matter so let’s leave it at that. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I personally doubt a lot of it, but external development is always a tricky business when developers won't always have the time. As for 100+ developer studios in Japan, you'd be surprised. They're pushing for xCloud pretty hard, and they're going to need content for that too. Maybe not Platinum and Level-5 (the relationship with Platinum and Microsoft isn't as bad as it seems), but I can almost guarantee a Japanese studio in the next few years. it's practically essential for their plans. Though that 100+ can be multiple team studios.
Tell you what, you're a lot more optimistic that I am.

I think Microsoft will acquire 1 or 2 Japanese studios at most, and they'll probably be studios they've been very close with, I can see that, I think the best picks are Mistwalker and Grounding.

But we'll see.

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I replay single player games as well, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer, but I don't need a story to keep me engaged. But this is what I don't understand - you say that without a story you feel little motivation to play a game, yet you're replaying them multiple times. Most games still have fairly linear stories, so on your subsequent playthroughs you're obviously playing for other reasons, because you're already familiar with their stories. So it would appear that you don't really need a narrative to keep you engaged if the gameplay is fun.
I don't really replay games for the gameplay experience - Mass Effect has nothing special in the gameplay department. I play them to experience the story again. A game being linear doesn't bother me at all. Just like I know what's going to happen when I rewatch The Dark Knight, it doesn't diminish the quality of the film. Sword fighting Rafe at the end of Uncharted 4 was, mechanically, a pretty dull boss fight. But because of the story build up, the music and the general cinematic nature of the moment, I was on the edge of my seat. It was a moment that I remember and have an urge to go back to. Whereas something like Sunset Overdrive, which was really fun to play, I feel no desire to go back to. Because the story was just kind of meh.

When I think about my favorite games and what stands out to me about them, it is, without fail, the story beats of the game. I think the only game that intrigued me on gameplay alone was LA Noire, and that was out of sheer curiosity more than sound mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking a lot about Gears 5. I wonder will it be more of hub world allowing you to backtrack, this is the time for them to flex their muscle. I wish we had a leak on what gameplay will be like.

Oct 25, 2017
Norway.
Anyone else other than CDKeys selling game pass for 6 months? CDkeys have been out of stock for a while.

Edit: Am I checking it right or is buying 3 months of game pass on CDKeys cheaper than 6 months?

Apr 1, 2018
What? You really think Japan would be interested in Xbox if they got couple Japanese games on their system?

At this point it is already clear that Xbox isn't going to sell there. Xclouds streaming and gamepass is something they could be interested in and that's how they could make Xbox brand look more appealing
no and i don't care about Japan at all...

what i meant is MS try and Subtitles their games to my language that's all

Oct 25, 2017
The first day experience after purchasing Scarlett is going to be pretty incredible with backwards compatibility, external storage, network transfer, Game Pass, Project XCloud, and FastStart.

The starting ground for the next generation is right where the Xbox One left off (plus everything new they are working on), which will be unlike any other console generation we’ve seen before.

Jan 13, 2018
I don't really replay games for the gameplay experience - Mass Effect has nothing special in the gameplay department. I play them to experience the story again. A game being linear doesn't bother me at all. Just like I know what's going to happen when I rewatch The Dark Knight, it doesn't diminish the quality of the film. Sword fighting Rafe at the end of Uncharted 4 was, mechanically, a pretty dull boss fight. But because of the story build up, the music and the general cinematic nature of the moment, I was on the edge of my seat. It was a moment that I remember and have an urge to go back to. Whereas something like Sunset Overdrive, which was really fun to play, I feel no desire to go back to. Because the story was just kind of meh.

When I think about my favorite games and what stands out to me about them, it is, without fail, the story beats of the game. I think the only game that intrigued me on gameplay alone was LA Noire, and that was out of sheer curiosity more than sound mechanics.
Interesting, I would never or almost never replay a game just to experience the story again, there would always need to be a fun gameplay component (well, fun is maybe the wrong word - let's say engaging). Perhaps after many years since my last playthrough, when I could use a refresher. But that's partially because in my experience very few linear game stories compare to even the most mediocre of film narratives, and let's not even try comparing them to decent literature. Games have other qualities that enable them to hit above their weight when it comes to narrative, like immersion or agency, but that's where we're stepping into the domain of gameplay once again.

Jun 14, 2018
How about a $199 streaming scarlett in first half of 2020 then $500 super scarlett in 2021?

Continue to push GP and high end gaming with both. Don't regard too much in what Sony is doing but pave their own path.

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Step one is being considered.
As a huge age of empires fan, I want all the remasters and future age of empires games playable on xbox with mouse and keyboard only, basically what I want is for them to allow keyboard and mouse only games on xbox, without controller support, age of empires should never be playable with a controller, it would be shameful.

Also I would like for microsoft to fund a new classic commandos game (maybe acquire the IP) or maybe a succesor in all but in name if that is not possible.

Any chance of that happening? I know the commandos thing is almost impossible, but if it's about our wishes...

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge age of empires fan, I want all the remasters and future age of empires games playable on xbox with mouse and keyboard only, basically what I want is for them to allow keyboard and mouse only games on xbox, without controller support, age of empires should never be playable with a controller, it would be shameful.

Also I would like for microsoft to fund a new classic commandos game (maybe acquire the IP) or maybe a succesor in all but in name if that is not possible.

Any chance of that happening? I know the commandos thing is almost impossible, but if it's about our wishes...
If Microsoft acquire SkyBox Labs, that's a lock, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, let's go

Would be the best studio they acquired
Let's not get too crazy now.

Playground and Obsidian is some stiff competition.

The former quite possibly the best run studio in the entire industry.

The latter has made some of the best RPGs of all time.

IO would be a huge get, but the best? Naw.

Jul 7, 2018
I honestly think MS would really embrace the Hitman brand. I could see them putting 47 in those live action Xbox commercials with their mascots and cars. IO is great so I hope they stay around.

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, what do you folks think Scarlet will bring to the table? I was 3/4 through making a nice O/T on the topic, but then had second thoughts knowing how anything Xbox related outside of this thread seems to go. My original OT I was thinking of making also had the PS5, but yeah just did not want to finish and hit submit.

With the advent of mid-gen consoles like the PRO/X, I think the "jump" that we usually have will not be the case this time around. Yes, I think it will be better and I think frame rates will be better, but the jump will not seem as big especially because of what we are seeing with the "X". When we view those DF articles and then the ones that compares the "X" version of game with a high-end PC, a lot of the things seem close, while other settings are a big difference. IMHO, I think 4k Native like lots of "X" games will continue, frame rates will be more stable and a lot of settings will be ramped up. The jump between base PS4/Xbox and Next gen I feel will be a significant improvement, but going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 the jump wont be as big. I think the following graphics settings will be better, which will lead to games looking better, but not a major jump like in past generations:

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance
Improved/More stable frame rates

While that all sounds like it will be great, again going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 these improvements will be noticeable, but not the jump like we had from 360 to One or PS3 to PS4. What are your thoughts on this?

Jul 28, 2018
Realistically, what do you folks think Scarlet will bring to the table? I was 3/4 through making a nice O/T on the topic, but then had second thoughts knowing how anything Xbox related outside of this thread seems to go. My original OT I was thinking of making also had the PS5, but yeah just did not want to finish and hit submit.

With the advent of mid-gen consoles like the PRO/X, I think the "jump" that we usually have will not be the case this time around. Yes, I think it will be better and I think frame rates will be better, but the jump will not seem as big especially because of what we are seeing with the "X". When we view those DF articles and then the ones that compares the "X" version of game with a high-end PC, a lot of the things seem close, while other settings are a big difference. IMHO, I think 4k Native like lots of "X" games will continue, frame rates will be more stable and a lot of settings will be ramped up. The jump between base PS4/Xbox and Next gen I feel will be a significant improvement, but going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 the jump wont be as big. I think the following graphics settings will be better, which will lead to games looking better, but not a major jump like in past generations:

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance

While that all sounds like it will be great, again going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 these improvements will be noticeable, but not the jump like we had from 360 to One or PS3 to PS4. What are your thoughts on this?
Maybe a hint at what we can expect, improved global illumination, off screen reflections & possibility just a hint of RT?

Jun 14, 2018

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance

Toy Story graphics of course

Oct 27, 2017
Woah! What?! You said to let the other studios purchases settle in before talking about any more.

Oh I see. 1 week. We just need to give studio purchases 1 week to settle in before revving up the rumor engines again. LOL
LOL xD

For real this would be a good acquisition and I understand the reason considering Hitman 2's struggles.

Its another situation of talented developer, good game, but game doesnt sell well.

Honestly, I think Hitman chose a bad time to release considering all the games that just came out including Red Dead Redemption 2.

Oct 25, 2017
So basically nobody knows shit
If there are dev kits out in the wild, only EXTREMELY trusted partners know about them. I'm not allowed to say what Microsoft sent my team, because all that shit's locked down, but they didn't say I couldn't say what they DIDN'T send me, so I can emphatically state that they didn't send us any next-gen dev kits. I did inquire about what all we could get from them.

I wouldn't say "definitely nothing out there," but I mean, I have friends that are literal chief creative officers/lead designers at AAA studios who haven't said a word about these things. Normally, I would have heard something by now if something were out in the wild.

fwiw, my studio also tried to see if we could do an Ouya port for hilarity's sake, but we weren't able to do it.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
This isn’t remotely true.

Halo is a huge universe spanning thousands of years.

Chief isn’t necessary to tell a great Halo story or stories.

I didn’t miss him playing ODST.

I didn’t miss playing Reach.

I wouldn’t miss Chief if he disappeared forever now. In fact, at this point that’d be the thing for Halo right now.

It's definitely true.

You're speaking of spin off games not the main line of them and only from your own personal POV. Of course people can or would be receptive to those but for the main story, the vast majority of people have repeatedly said they want their main hero to be John. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.