• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I know ethomaz, he is brazilian too, shame he is giving us brazilians a bad name, as there A LOT of brazilian xbox fans, especially a lot of brazilian xbox fans ITT who post here regularly.

Anyway when it comes to trolls/fanboys, the worst I've ever seen is thelastsword from some other forum in the internet, I don't remember this percy dude.
One persons act is his own. :)

Jul 13, 2018
I personally doubt a lot of it, but external development is always a tricky business when developers won't always have the time. As for 100+ developer studios in Japan, you'd be surprised. They're pushing for xCloud pretty hard, and they're going to need content for that too. Maybe not Platinum and Level-5 (the relationship with Platinum and Microsoft isn't as bad as it seems), but I can almost guarantee a Japanese studio in the next few years. it's practically essential for their plans. Though that 100+ can be multiple team studios.
While I don't doubt that Microsoft will at some point acquire a medium size Japanese developer, wouldn't it be more effective if they first improved their Japanese 3rd party output? Games such as Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza franchise (I believe some of these may be on PC) should all be on the Xbox One/PC platform. Look at Lost Odyssey, the remastered version is only on PS4 even though it was an Xbox 360 exclusive at one point. While games such as Kingdom Hearts 3 are coming onto Xbox One, for some odd reason, Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far is on PS4 only.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
While I don't doubt that Microsoft will at some point acquire a medium size Japanese developer, wouldn't it be more effective if they first improved their Japanese 3rd party output? Games such as Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza franchise (I believe some of these may be on PC) should all be on the Xbox One/PC platform. Look at Lost Odyssey, the remastered version is coming to PS4 even though it was an Xbox 360 exclusive at one point. While games such as Kingdom Hearts 3 are coming onto Xbox One, for some odd reason, Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far is on PS4 only.
I think you have lost odissey confused with tales of vesperia.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Whoops, I actually meant The Last Remnant. My bad. Luckily, Tales of Vesperia will be multiplatform next year.
The last remnant was a default 360 exclusive, it's all on square enix, they can choose to publish wherever they want and now they see the audience for that game on playstation, which I don't think rules out a possible xbox version in the future.

Now talking about default exclusives, sony has always got a lot of them, especally this gen (japanese games), microsoft got some of these on 360, but now it seems these have stopped coming and that might be one of the reasons MS is focusing more on first party now.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I think dynamic open world games will be the next big thing. With new advances in AI being implemented in games being at the forefront.

I see TI next project ultilising this to some aspect if their really striving "for the next big thing."

Also of note, with these IO rumours. Microsofts resources, like AI, would work well for IO as npc and dynamic interactions with the world is the huge draw of their games.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Interesting, I would never or almost never replay a game just to experience the story again, there would always need to be a fun gameplay component (well, fun is maybe the wrong word - let's say engaging). Perhaps after many years since my last playthrough, when I could use a refresher. But that's partially because in my experience very few linear game stories compare to even the most mediocre of film narratives, and let's not even try comparing them to decent literature. Games have other qualities that enable them to hit above their weight when it comes to narrative, like immersion or agency, but that's where we're stepping into the domain of gameplay once again.
That's fair. I wouldn't say "gameplay" disinterest me, so much as combat does. The reason I find games to be the best form of entertainment is player interactivity. Which you're right, would probably be categorized under gameplay. But actual combat doesn't interest me. Mainly because there's only so many way you can shoot things before the utility starts to diminish and for me, that plateau has hit hard. I am now far more interested in exploring game worlds, engaging in their characters and making decisions that effect the story. So perhaps I misspoke. Shooting shit doesn't do anything to interest me. But if they made a dialogue driven multiplayer game, I'd be all over it. Maybe as dueling attorneys in a courtroom. One player is the prosecution, one is the defense and you have to examine the evidence and out maneuver your opposition. Something like that sounds far more appealing than just shooting people.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Don't remember ever seeing this username. LOL.
You're better off. The only reason I know him is from the website I visited before this place.

None the less we really probably shouldnt be talking about other users in here. We should probably try to stay on topic.

Could you all see IO making something like Perfect Dark if they were ever acquired? I think it would be an interesting pair.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
IO wholly own the Hitman intellectual property.
https://www.ioi.dk/the-future-of-ioi/

Therefore I am proud to announce today that IOI is now officially an independent studio. We have successfully concluded our negotiations with Square Enix and have agreed to a management buyout. Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP.

This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP – we're about to forge our own future and it's incredibly exciting. We are now open to opportunities with future collaborators and partners to help strengthen us as a studio and ensure that we can produce the best games possible for our community.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...out-io-why-square-enix-set-the-franchise-free

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey era, I can't turn my Xbox one s with my controller?

Also, how do I make sure my games are downloading while off

New owner here. Thanks

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
pls mikrosof

3072029-2875533116-Cover.jpg

1. acquire IO Interactive
2. Hitman + space = STALKER
3. ???
4. profit
I often read your posts and disagree with them. That is 100% not the case here. WHERE IS MY FREELANCER PHIL?
lol nothing. Rumblebones is probably few who remember that game.
It absolutely ruled. Great game. Would buy a sequel in a heartbeat. (Also Deathrow but that isn't MS IP).

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
According to USPTO (official trademark site), Square Enix owns the Hitman IP still, none of the video game trademarks for Hitman list IO as the owner of the trademark. IO Interactive has the rights to use the Hitman IP because Square Enix licensed it to them. Square has full ownership though.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That's fair. I wouldn't say "gameplay" disinterest me, so much as combat does. The reason I find games to be the best form of entertainment is player interactivity. Which you're right, would probably be categorized under gameplay. But actual combat doesn't interest me. Mainly because there's only so many way you can shoot things before the utility starts to diminish and for me, that plateau has hit hard. I am now far more interested in exploring game worlds, engaging in their characters and making decisions that effect the story. So perhaps I misspoke. Shooting shit doesn't do anything to interest me. But if they made a dialogue driven multiplayer game, I'd be all over it. Maybe as dueling attorneys in a courtroom. One player is the prosecution, one is the defense and you have to examine the evidence and out maneuver your opposition. Something like that sounds far more appealing than just shooting people.

Yes, that sounds good. There are many interesting things that could be done, but the problem is always finding the large enough audience to justify the investment. It's probably indies who would have to break new ground there.

New owner here. Thanks

Your controller probably desynced. Turn on your console manually, and sync your controller again (press the sync button on the console, then press and hold the sync button on the controller for a few seconds). It can sometimes happen randomly.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any hints or rumblings about a Halo Wars 3? Fired up 2 for the first time in a while today and i has forgotten how fun it is to steamroll with some scorpions. That was technically Creative Assembly right?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Have there been any hints or rumblings about a Halo Wars 3? Fired up 2 for the first time in a while today and i has forgotten how fun it is to steamroll with some scorpions. That was technically Creative Assembly right?
Zero. Halo Wars 2 didn't get great reception from the PC gaming community because it didn't have that deep gameplay since it was made with controller in mind.

I'm assuming this is why Age of Empires and Gears Tactics both require keyboard + mouse. Microsoft have made it clear multiple times (including at X018) that they want to improve PC gaming from Xbox.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Zero. Halo Wars 2 didn't get great reception from the PC gaming community because it didn't have that deep gameplay since it was made with controller in mind.

I'm assuming this is why Age of Empires and Gears Tactics both require keyboard + mouse. Microsoft have made it clear multiple times (including at X018) that they want to improve PC gaming from Xbox.
literally no reason why a tactics game should require keyboard and mouse

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You really don't seem to understand difference between someone trying to make something like Mario and then someone trying to make something like GTA. The scope in those games are vastly different. GTA5 had like over 1000 people developing that game and next GTA is more than likely going to have even more people.

That would mean Microsoft would need to put Playground, 343 and coalition to work with Initiave to match that size.

Initiave is going to push boundaries. It will be something what Naughty Dog or SSM have been doing or CDPR. I think those studios are much closer to Initiave than Rockstar
You do know who Microsoft is?

By the way, I think that they are going to make something similar to Uncharted, but people behave as if Microsoft could not bankroll a huge title similar to GTA is they wanted. They can if they want, and without bringing their existing studios into the project.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't check this thread for about 15 hours and I miss Splinter Cell talks, some fresh rumors about IO being an acquisition, Xbox making steps forward in Japan...

Just think about this, a couple years ago this amount of substantiated rumors would have been what, a month's worth of talk? We get stuff like this every week now basically. Mad times at MS.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So I don't check this thread for about 15 hours and I miss Splinter Cell talks, some fresh rumors about IO being an acquisition, Xbox making steps forward in Japan...

Just think about this, a couple years ago this amount of substantiated rumors would have been what, a month's worth of talk? We get stuff like this every week now basically. Mad times at MS.
You'll have to wait for substantial news from MS themselves until e3 next year I think so until then it's just rumors and speculations for the people here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to wait for substantial news from MS themselves until e3 next year I think so until then it's just rumors and speculations for the people here.

I know that, what I mean is that there's a lot of rumors, and right now they sound... reasonable? We always speculated about the craziest acquisitions (see Rockstar, SEGA, etc.) but it was not quite a set of serious thoughts. In this past 18 months or so Microsoft acquired 7 studios and has made giant steps in many other directions (backwards compatibility, streaming, subscription, cross-play, next-gen, Japan, etc.). Suddenly, reading rumors about IO getting acquired sounds plausible, and it suddenly feels like a random week after 7 notable studio acquisitions. That's what I'm getting at: things have changed, and MS will be interesting to watch in the next few years.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I know that, what I mean is that there's a lot of rumors, and right now they sound... reasonable? We always speculated about the craziest acquisitions (see Rockstar, SEGA, etc.) but it was not quite a set of serious thoughts. In this past 18 months or so Microsoft acquired 7 studios and has made giant steps in many other directions (backwards compatibility, streaming, subscription, cross-play, next-gen, Japan, etc.). Suddenly, reading rumors about IO getting acquired sounds plausible, and it suddenly feels like a random week after 7 notable studio acquisitions. That's what I'm getting at: things have changed, and MS will be interesting to watch in the next few years.
They were also in talks with turtle rock is the other hint we got, now those are two possible announcements for e3 2019 and I personally think they still could have more as crazy as that sounds.

Jan 4, 2018
Realistically, what do you folks think Scarlet will bring to the table? I was 3/4 through making a nice O/T on the topic, but then had second thoughts knowing how anything Xbox related outside of this thread seems to go. My original OT I was thinking of making also had the PS5, but yeah just did not want to finish and hit submit.

With the advent of mid-gen consoles like the PRO/X, I think the "jump" that we usually have will not be the case this time around. Yes, I think it will be better and I think frame rates will be better, but the jump will not seem as big especially because of what we are seeing with the "X". When we view those DF articles and then the ones that compares the "X" version of game with a high-end PC, a lot of the things seem close, while other settings are a big difference. IMHO, I think 4k Native like lots of "X" games will continue, frame rates will be more stable and a lot of settings will be ramped up. The jump between base PS4/Xbox and Next gen I feel will be a significant improvement, but going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 the jump wont be as big. I think the following graphics settings will be better, which will lead to games looking better, but not a major jump like in past generations:

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance
Improved/More stable frame rates

While that all sounds like it will be great, again going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 these improvements will be noticeable, but not the jump like we had from 360 to One or PS3 to PS4. What are your thoughts on this?
I think Xbox One X was a genius move in more ways than were evident at first.
Sony now finds themselves in a position were they can't release a 400 machine, because it'll be just a little more powerful than the X (hence why recent rumors point to PS5 being 500 instead of 400 like PS4) and I guess "it's somewhat more powerful than a 3 yr old system" is not great from a PR standpoint :p
Hell, even at 500 I'm not sure there'll be a huge difference other than 30fps games being 60fps (not sure if all though)
You're better off. The only reason I know him is from the website I visited before this place.

None the less we really probably shouldnt be talking about other users in here. We should probably try to stay on topic.

Could you all see IO making something like Perfect Dark if they were ever acquired? I think it would be an interesting pair.
I'd say it a few pages ago and the more I think about it the more I want it hahha
Basically Hitman but instead of assassinating stealing or hacking things.
You have to find a way to a terminal located inside a factory, get some data and escape as stealthly as possible, or get inside a crime lord manor to steal a painting, things like that

New owner here. Thanks
Maybe desinchronized? Sometimes it happens without a cause (not often), or have you used it with a PC? If you've sinchronized it with something else you'll have to "reinstall" it on the Xbox.
As for installs, you have to go to settings and make sure it's not on energy economy mode, so it's always "somewhat on" and then activate auto updates.
This way you can even download the game pass or xbox app for your smartphone and order remotely from the telephone to install games so they are ready when you get home.
You do know who Microsoft is?

By the way, I think that they are going to make something similar to Uncharted, but people behave as if Microsoft could not bankroll a huge title similar to GTA is they wanted. They can if they want, and without bringing their existing studios into the project.
They can and it won't be a big thing for them.
They could even put basically all other systems under siege if they wanted to.
A studio finishes a game. Contract them for an exclusive financed by MS. Another one finishes another game, do the same. Repeat ad aeternum.
That'll give them a hell of a lot of games and reduce other systems to only having 1st party games(it'll be mighty expensive too though hahah), since 3rd parties would be busy making exclusives for Xbox.
Not saying it'll happen nor that I would like it. Just that they have the money to do so if they want

Apr 6, 2018
I think it's fairly safe to say IOI are a peerless developer. Plenty of developers do what Obsidian do. Plenty of developers do what Playground do. Nobody in the industry does what IOI does. At least not without falling flat on their face. This is why people talking about buying IOI but retiring the Hitman IP are kind of missing the point of why IOI are so highly regarded as a developer. It's would be like buying Looking Glass back in the day but insisting they retire Thief. Like buying Ion Storm and insisting they retire Deus Ex.
I disagree about playground, need for speed and the crew are similar in the structure but different in the base gameplay

Jan 4, 2018
Editted for clarity (couldn't find the comment at first hahah)
If there are dev kits out in the wild, only EXTREMELY trusted partners know about them. I'm not allowed to say what Microsoft sent my team, because all that shit's locked down, but they didn't say I couldn't say what they DIDN'T send me, so I can emphatically state that they didn't send us any next-gen dev kits. I did inquire about what all we could get from them.

I wouldn't say "definitely nothing out there," but I mean, I have friends that are literal chief creative officers/lead designers at AAA studios who haven't said a word about these things. Normally, I would have heard something by now if something were out in the wild.

fwiw, my studio also tried to see if we could do an Ouya port for hilarity's sake, but we weren't able to do it.
DocSeuss so what you're implying is you're getting ready for xCloud then?

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree about playground, need for speed and the crew are similar in the structure but different in the base gameplay
Forza is ultimately a game where you race cars from A to B. There are many, many games that basically do the same thing. You can describe Forza as being similar to other games. Being very good at making car games where you race from A to B isn't really on the same level as making a breed of sandbox assassination title that has no peers to speak of. It's the Embassy Mission from Mission Impossible N64 back in 1998, and IOI have managed to turn that basic idea into a 7 game social stealth series where you can't even get a SIMILAR experience from another developer. If you like Forza, there are other car games that do similar things. Forza has competitors. If you like Hitman, you're shit out of luck because there are no Hitman competitors. To some degree this is where the resentment towards Hitman: Absolution is rooted. It lacked the unique aspects that made Hitman a series with no competitors. Absolution can be described as being similar to Splinter Cell. This label does not apply to the other Hitman titles.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I said MS need a Japanese Chris Charla and now they are looking for one.

Great move by MS. They better not let these Japanese games skip Xbox next gen.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think Xbox One X was a genius move in more ways than were evident at first.
Sony now finds themselves in a position were they can't release a 400 machine, because it'll be just a little more powerful than the X (hence why recent rumors point to PS5 being 500 instead of 400 like PS4) and I guess "it's somewhat more powerful than a 3 yr old system" is not great from a PR standpoint :p
Hell, even at 500 I'm not sure there'll be a huge difference other than 30fps games being 60fps (not sure if all though)

499$ price point is mainly because of inflation, it's start of new generation where consoles are always more expensive and Xbox One X has shown that people will buy console for 499$.

Even if next gen consoles were to be 399$ in launch, they would be much more powerful than One X, thanks to so much better CPU.

It has nothing to do "We can't launch 399$ console because it wouldnt be powerful enough"

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I said MS need a Japanese Chris Charla and now they are looking for one.

Great move by MS. They better not let these Japanese games skip Xbox next gen.
Yukio Futatsugi used to be their Japanese Chris Charla basically. I hope they can work with him again on a game at least. Technically they are with The Good Life, but that always seemed more like Swerys deal to me.

Apr 6, 2018
One of the biggest trolls and console warriors finally got banned. Shame

Maybe some Xbox threads won't turn to shit anymore.
Good to know

It was just a year ago, we had to wait 8 years for another halo wars, it will be according to my instinct, but I guess that the 343 publishing team is working on other things

Forza is ultimately a game where you race cars from A to B. There are many, many games that basically do the same thing. You can describe Forza as being similar to other games. Being very good at making car games where you race from A to B isn't really on the same level as making a breed of sandbox assassination title that has no peers to speak of. It's the Embassy Mission from Mission Impossible N64 back in 1998, and IOI have managed to turn that basic idea into a 7 game social stealth series where you can't even get a SIMILAR experience from another developer. If you like Forza, there are other car games that do similar things. Forza has competitors. If you like Hitman, you're shit out of luck because there are no Hitman competitors. To some degree this is where the resentment towards Hitman: Absolution is rooted. It lacked the unique aspects that made Hitman a series with no competitors. Absolution can be described as being similar to Splinter Cell. This label does not apply to the other Hitman titles.
I agree that forza horizon is not as different from the average arcade racing as hitman differs from the other stealth. Still while the horizons shares the structure with other games, just way better, the gameplay is unique unless you take dead ips like driveclub or pgr

Status
Not open for further replies.