• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
There will be xCloud, PlayFab, DirectML, and Windows gaming sessions (and Game Pass for PC as a part) on GDC 2019.
I don't doubt what you are saying as that all makes logical sense (and I figured those would be sessions anyways)...but are you making guesses or are you stating facts. That's all I'm asking.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way Satya spoke about PC Game Pass on the finance call a few weeks back makes me think tbe PC version is a ways away.

I can see it launching with the next gen, they have a lot of work to do on the PC side of things before trying to drive users there.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
The way Satya spoke about PC Game Pass on the finance call a few weeks back makes me think tbe PC version is a ways away.

I can see it launching with the next gen, they have a lot of work to do on the PC side of things before trying to drive users there.
I dont think Console and PC has to coincide with next generation. PC will always be the more powerful of the two, and next generation wont change that, it will just close the gap some.

To me, the sooner they can get some of the things fixed in Windows Store, the better. Personally i feel the sooner they can get Game Pass on PC, the better. If its at GDC like hmqgg says, then i will be very happy with that, and I know several of my friends may buy into Game Pass after that.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
Ive never really seen you around before. Are you claiming to be an insider? You said previously in this thread that Game Pass may be announced before GDC, and now you are saying it is in fact going to be announced at GDC?
There will be a session talking about Game Pass for PC. But, I'm not sure if it will be announced before GDC.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I think the most exciting thing about the Obsidian and inXile acquisitions for me is the potential value a studio like this can bring to gamepass. Even if they stick to "small" western RPGs. I'm currently going through PoE on my Xbox and the last thing I would call that game is small; small in budget maybe, but surely not in scope. I'm 18 hours in and not even close to the end.

Not to mention the potential benefit when gamepass hits PC. I mean western RPGs were born on the PC and Obsidian and inXile cater to that audience. Can't wait to see the fruits of these acquisitions.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Cool.

Well it really depends on the output of games that they will have, it relies on 3rd party support more than anything at this point in time. It's also no necessary to have it launch with next-generation of consoles.
There will be a session talking about Game Pass for PC. But, I'm not sure if it will be announced before GDC.
I think the "Beginning of the Year Update" on Xbox Wire will have more info drops. XGP going to PC announcement being there makes more sense. I figure there will still be more information though.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was watching Summit playing Sea of Thieves in front of 20,000 people a bit yesterday. At some point someone told him about Game Pass for PC and he was like: "yea but what's the catch? You can play the games only for a few hours or just stream it right?".

He straight out couldn't believe you can subscribe to a $10 service to download dozens of full-version games with unlimited access. He just ... Couldn't believe it.

It's just a short story out of the gaming everyday world that perfectly shows the immense value and success Game Pass can have in future. The majority of people don't even really know the insane value Game Pass offers today. No wonder Xbox is putting all their efforts into this service.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching Summit playing Sea of Thieves in front of 20,000 people a bit yesterday. At some point someone told him about Game Pass for PC and he was like: "yea but what's the catch? You can play the games only for a few hours or just stream it right?".

He straight out couldn't believe you can subscribe to a $10 service to download dozens of full-version games with unlimited access. He just ... Couldn't believe it.

It's just a short story out of the gaming everyday world that perfectly shows the immense value and success Game Pass can have in future. The majority of people don't even really know the insane value Game Pass offers today. No wonder Xbox is putting all their efforts into this service.
That's why the messaging of next-generation will be very important. The messaging around xCloud will be even more important (probably the most important of them all). I think we will see a lot more marketing around xcloud/xgp when they are ready then we are used to for games.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

He straight out couldn't believe you can subscribe to a $10 service to download dozens of full-Version games with unlimited access. He just ... Couldn't believe it.

It's just a short story out of the gaming everyday world that perfectly shows the immense value and success Game Pass can have in future. The majority of people don't even really know the insane value Game Pass offers today. No wonder Xblx is putting all their efforts into this service.
Tremendous value for sure. I think it's biggest hurdle is gamers who are uncomfortable not "Owning" the game. In my personal conversations with friends no matter how much good things I say about gamepass and it's value the conversation inevitably gets to "But you don't get to keep the games".

I'm sure Netflix and other streaming/cloud library services experienced a similar hurdle in the beginning.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Thats cool if that is true. That is sooner than I was expecting. I wonder how it will work. Will it have its own catalog, or will the find a way to get all those games on PC?
It will definitely have it's own catalog...but as long as you have a subscription, you can access it. I still think MS will find a way to get an emulator for 360/OG games on PC.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

lol I wonder how many subscribers they can get on Game Pass. We know its at least at 2 million right now. I just bought Game Pass last week thanks to the Amazon deal.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
That's why the messaging of next-generation will be very important. The messaging around xCloud will be even more important (probably the most important of them all). I think we will see a lot more marketing around xcloud/xgp when they are ready then we are used to for games.

I agree and in that thought, MS would do well to showcase Game Pass and it's value with all the content on it or coming with the new announcements and demo xCloud at E3 2019 live on multiple devices, including on the show floor for press and attendees to try firsthand. They absolutely have to come out swinging hard much like they did this year at E3 for the future of this platform.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It will definitely have it's own catalog...but as long as you have a subscription, you can access it. I still think MS will find a way to get an emulator for 360/OG games on PC.
That would be great. I mean they managed to do it on Xbox One, and they have put a lot of efforts into that, so it wouldnt surprise me at all if they managed to get them on PC.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Have they said whether Gamepass PC would be a separate sub? I'm assuming it won't be because of play anywhere titles but I'm not sure how that would work for 3rd party titles.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
lol I wonder how many subscribers they can get on Game Pass. We know its at least at 2 million right now. I just bought Game Pass last week thanks to the Amazon deal.
Can? A lot.
They are going for the 2 billion gamers. So their market is huge.
With xCloud and going for mobile users along with pc, and console on a global scale...they definitely want to get to the netflix level of subscribers. They at least want to get to Office 365 subscribers (which is over 100 million I believe) as that is over a billion dollars in revenue a month. Then add on the DLC/MTX from each of those games and people buying games...that's a ridiculous amount of money each month. That's their ultimate goal.
How much they can get depends on how good the quality and the reachability of xCloud honestly and obviously the game catalog and how good those games are. It's the biggest reason why MS is making the investment that they are. You can't be the netflix of gaming if you aren't anywhere and don't have a lot of games on your service that people want to play.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This is like comparing an apple to an orange. Two games from entirely separate genres and audiences. Halo is nothing like Mass Effect, how did this dialogue even begin lol?
Someone said they want more games like Mass Effect. To which someone else responded "Halo and Gears aren't enough"? To which I stated my preference for Mass Effect over either of those franchises. But bringing it back around, you're right. Halo is nothing like Mass Effect. Which I why I maintain Microsoft should still try to make a game in that vein.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can? A lot.
With xCloud and going for mobile users along with pc, and console on a global scale...they definitely want to get to the netflix level of subscribers. They at least want to get to Office 365 subscribers (which is over 100 million I believe) as that is over a billion dollars in revenue a month. Then add on the DLC/MTX from each of those games and people buying games...that's a ridiculous amount of money each month. That's their ultimate goal.
How much they can get depends on how good the quality and the reachability of xCloud honestly and obviously the game catalog and how good those games are. It's the biggest reason why MS is making the investment that they are. You can't be the netflix of gaming if you aren't anywhere and don't have a lot of games on your service that people want to play.
It's why they actually have financial incentive increasing their catalog by investing in their Backwards Compatibility program.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Have they said whether Gamepass PC would be a separate sub? I'm assuming it won't be because of play anywhere titles but I'm not sure how that would work for 3rd party titles.
They would have to work out a deal with 3rd parties as they already do (unless that 3rd party did a XPA game). I 100% doubt that it will be a seperate sub. That would confuse a lot of users for no reason.
It's why they actually have financial incentive increasing their catalog by investing in their Backwards Compatibility program.
Yes, exactly.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Can? A lot.

Well thats not what I mean xD I mean realistically in the next few years what would be your guess. 10+ Million? 20m? etc What would be your guess be by lets say 2021?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Well thats not what I mean xD I mean realistically in the next few years what would be your guess. 10+ Million? 20m? etc What would be your guess be by lets say 2021?
By 2021...uhm...probably like 5-7 million.
By 2022 I think that number will shoot up to around 30 million though.
I'm not good with estimates of sales...I analyze other types of shit. LOL.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking for a video of the Microsoft Shareholder meeting because Mary Joe Foley mentioned that they led the demo showcase with gaming. Couldn't find one. Probably need to be a shareholder. Anyway, Gaming Demos well I guess but always interesting to see gaming front and center at these things. @135:55

Also when looking at their upcoming events page. I see that Phil Spencer will be part of something called "Barclays Global Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference" on December 5th. Probably nothing but whatever.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor

bJaPbNH.png

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Do you have stats on Xbox Live Gold subs? I'd guess it's going to follow a similar trajectory. Maybe go even faster as Xbox Live is more limiting in who it would appeal to and was free on other platforms.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have stats on Xbox Live Gold subs? I'd guess it's going to follow a similar trajectory. Maybe go even faster as Xbox Live is more limiting in who it would appeal to and was free on other platforms.
No. Game Pass is more valuable than Gold. So it won't follow the same trajectory. It will be faster in my opinion.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's too hard to judge how many subscribers it's gonna have because noone knows how the streaming service is gonna take off.

Depending on how that takes off, we could be looking at GTA V situation where the sky is the limit.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly it's too hard to judge how many subscribers it's gonna have because noone knows how the streaming service is gonna take off.

Depending on how that takes off, we could be looking at GTA V situation where the sky is the limit.
Steaming will inevitably be a success. I just don't know how soon it will. That's why I took estimates out of my ass. I'm not good with dates and sales expectations. I like to look at technology trends and business policies towards things.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
No. Game Pass is more valuable than Gold. So it won't follow the same trajectory. It will be faster in my opinion.

30 million users would be a whole lot of subscription money. Quality of the stuff in the service is already good so can only imagine what happens when the service explodes like that. Could really change the landscape of gaming.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
30 million users would be a whole lot of subscription money. Quality of the stuff in the service is already good so can only imagine what happens when the service explodes like that. Could really change the landscape of gaming.
It will affect gaming like Netflix has movies...it just will take some time and a "House of Cards" title incongruence of xCloud being good. Once xCloud proves itself and can get itself globably working, that subscriber number will go up a lot more. I mean more than just the hardcore here.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Microsoft needs to be careful and box the fuck out like a power forward in the paint. They have a history of being very inventive only to see another company run with the idea and make it a huge success. Another company that's not incumbered by the corporate fuckery and that is devoted to that one single idea. I have high hopes right now because gaming sits right under the CEO and Phil is in charge.

If Microsoft goes full Microsoft however they will risk Valve, Google, or hell, even Netflix themselves coming into this space throwing checks around and taking over. That's why you have big check books right now to buy content and content creators - to make it unappealing to be left out of this ecosystem.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I disagree, sorry.

Gold is essential for anyone wanting to play games online. Which is a lot of people when you think of everything from Fortnite to FIFA to CoD.

Game Pass is merely a 'nice to have' in comparison.

Remember, unlike Netflix, Game Pass does not have any exclusive content whatsoever. You can buy FH4 without needing to subscribe to Game Pass - as many have. And I think that will stop it from growing at those kinds of trajectories.

And I don't think that will change, with Phil repeatedly saying Game Pass is seen as an 'option' - so I don't expect future first party games will end up Game Pass exclusive.

If, however, Halo Infinite was Game Pass exclusive - then I can only imagine how the subscriptions would skyrocket in to oblivion. But it doesn't appear to be their strategy.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I disagree, sorry.

Gold is essential for anyone wanting to play games online. Which is a lot of people when you think of everything from Fortnite to FIFA to CoD.

Game Pass is merely a 'nice to have' in comparison.

Remember, unlike Netflix, Game Pass does not have any exclusive content whatsoever. You can buy FH4 without needing to subscribe to Game Pass - as many have. And I think that will stop it from growing at those kinds of trajectories.

And I don't think that will change, with Phil repeatedly saying Game Pass is seen as an 'option' - so I don't expect future first party games will end up Game Pass exclusive.

If, however, Halo Infinite was Game Pass exclusive - then I can only imagine how the subscriptions would skyrocket in to oblivion. But it doesn't appear to be their strategy.

When Xbox Live launched, it was the only pay for play online service on a platform that didn't have much install base. It was the quality of the service that drove people to it otherwise they could've stuck with free online gaming on PlayStation.

There's no reason to ever not sell games separate. No reason to eliminate ownership. Microsoft has data that proves it drives more sales therefore they double dip. No reason to give that money back.

Game Pass value is being driven differently than XBL. XBL only appeals to multiplayer gamers. Game Pass can appeal to all gamers and will cast a wider net. I think Zedox is right on this one.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Are Cain and Leo full time employees of Obsidian? If their new IP takes off would they continue to work on the IP?

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Don't know how many of you are familiar with Ice Pick Lodge but it seems they are struggling financially since they recently announced Pathologic 2 will have to be released episodically to be feasible. They are a studio that makes games that are basically a niche of a niche but they pretty much have exclusively made games that make me say "yeah there's nothing else like this". What would you all think of them being an acquisition? IPL would no doubt never be acquired unless they were guarenteed complete creative freedom, so if what NT and others have said I see it as a possibility if MS is aware of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Don't know how many of you are familiar with Ice Pick Lodge but it seems they are struggling financially since they recently announced Pathologic 2 will have to be released episodically to be feasible. They are a studio that makes games that are basically a niche of a niche but they pretty much have exclusively made games that make me say "yeah there's nothing else like this". What would you all think of them being an acquisition? IPL would no doubt never be acquired unless they were guarenteed complete creative freedom, so if what NT and others have said I see it as a possibility if MS is aware of them.

Why would you want to acquire a developer that is pompous enough to make demands regarding their failing business model? Nature will take care of this situation.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Why would you want to acquire a developer that is pompous enough to make demands regarding their failing business model? Nature will take care of this situation.
Because they aren't pompous? Their business model isn't failing either, they just so happen to have had shit luck in terms of the financial situation of their country going tits up the last couple years. That's like saying "Why buy Ninja Theory they almost went bankrupt a few years back"

Status
Not open for further replies.