• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they're actually showing the Winter of Arcade trailer at the TGA's. An event that has more viewers than E3 by this point.

Hope this importance given to indies by MS recently continues to grow.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The disadvantage over Netflix is that games are more expensive and dev time is definitely longer. Well let's see.
Not necessarily.

Even if looking purely at AAA games, and comparing them to Netflix AAA shows, Marvel's Daredevil Season 1 had a budget of $56m, around the budget of something like Horizon Zero Dawn and certainly more than Gears 4.

And when looking at FH4 for example, sales are higher than FH3 in the same time period, and there's the DLC. So Game Pass has ended up as additional revenue rather than cannibalisation.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not necessarily.

Even if looking purely at AAA games, and comparing them to Netflix AAA shows, Marvel's Daredevil Season 1 had a budget of $56m, around the budget of something like Horizon Zero Dawn and certainly more than Gears 4.

And when looking at FH4 for example, sales are higher than FH3 in the same time period, and there's the DLC. So Game Pass has ended up as additional revenue rather than cannibalisation.

Serious question: does the 56m include marketing costs? I don't know if Netflix even need a big marketing budget for their shows.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Something I'm still curious about..... what was that partnership with Studio Gobo from a year ago?
Do we think they're working on a new IP? Old IP? Are they a support studio on a different game?

There are some very curious things going on with MS games. Excited to see what they have up their sleeve over the next few years.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i really doubt MS will purchase a japanese studio - the mindshare around japanese studios(games) are really locked to sony/nintendo and that is just reality.
I like their method at the moment of working with studios to see if they can bring it to the xbox instead of funding for exclusive rights.

its nice to see a new way of thought and process where i cant even predict what will happen next, even when looking at their history. its great to read some advise here but i think a lot of thought process of wishing for X or Y is on traditional sense.

You really gotta take a look at what is happening now and base your assumptions on that. I mean anyone guess inXile?? i dont think i ever seen that pop up in any prediction here.

Oct 25, 2017

In platforms like youtube and twitch, TGA has more viewers than E3 at this point. Nirolak posted something about that a while back. I'll find the link later (working right now)

But yeah, the viewership seems a lot higher from the data we got from last year's TGA.

EDIT: I don't mean physical viewers and people actually attending the show, btw.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Something I'm still curious about..... what was that partnership with Studio Gobo from a year ago?
Do we think they're working on a new IP? Old IP? Are they a support studio on a different game?

There are some very curious things going on with MS games. Excited to see what they have up their sleeve over the next few years.
It is a weird game called Miami Street, There hasn't been much chatter about since May though

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Iam wondering if Ms will make any profit with gamepass in the future. Afaik Spotify and Netflix don't make any profit because licensing is so expensive. They have to pay every third party and need to sustain their first party studios. I don't see how that's gonna work, at least not with their pricing.
I feel like profit isn't as important to MS as market share. They want 2 billion gamers. They're going to need to make serious investments to get there and it means they probably won't turn a profit from Xbox for a few years.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
People...Microsoft is already making the investment into GamePass and has been for the past probably 5 years. The things you are hearing with xCloud and all the investment is stuff that Phil has been planning (but now able to execute) for some time. Microsoft is planning on making a profit on this type of stuff much faster than you think. The value that GamePass has and the coming next-generation when it can influence people to use their service at the lowest possible rate to the highest is key for getting the core consumers. They don't care if you buy a playstation, as long as you are subscribed to gamepass, that's fine to them because normally it is one or the other. With xCloud + GamePass, they can get people into their system for a very low rate (I still think it will be bundled) even if they own a competitors console. It's about maximizing your reach and getting people into the door, and that's why the barrier to entry is very low. You have a phone like most people or you have a tablet, well, you can still play xbox games, you can still buy xbox games. You don't need to own a console. The console is just one of many entry points.

I'll keep saying this: $10 and you are able to get into the Xbox ecosystem. That's all they have to say when revealing the price of the other consoles.
$10: Your Device (xbo, phone, tablet, pc), and stream all of your games you purchase digitally and GamePass games
$10 + $99: Xbox 5C, and stream all of your games you purchase digitally and GamePass games
$10 + $399: Xbox 5S, Play your games locally, and play all games on GamePass
$10 + $599: Xbox 5X, Play your games locally with the highest fidelity, and play all games on GamePass.

$10 will be the base. That's what I predict. I could be wrong with the 5C, 5S, 5X numbers but I really believe that they won't be that far from them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Phil Spencer is a presenter at The Game Awards. That's pretty cool

Awesome! I always thought it felt a bit bizarre how at X0 they were talking about how they'd be announcing the Winter Of Arcade games... like, it's a 100% Microsoft thing basically, it was a 100% Microsoft event mere weeks before TGA, why not do it there? But if there's actual Microsoft people on stage at the TGA, even if it's for like 5 minutes, I guess it makes more sense. Plus given the way the tweet is worded, I assume Spencer will talk about inclusiveness and options in gaming and not just about the actual games. TGA going in hard this year, huh?

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Is Studio Gobo helping/working on Miami Street though? Electric Square is a separate 'sister' studio (was originally branded Studio Gobo Brighton, but changed the name to ES in October 2017).
I thought it was discussed in one of the earlier OT that Electronic Square took over the Microsoft Studios Title (Miami Street).

According to this ES is dedicated to full project where studio gobo isn't.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I always thought it felt a bit bizarre how at X0 they were talking about how they'd be announcing the Winter Of Arcade games... like, it's a 100% Microsoft thing basically, it was a 100% Microsoft event mere weeks before TGA, why not do it there? But if there's actual Microsoft people on stage at the TGA, even if it's for like 5 minutes, I guess it makes more sense. Plus given the way the tweet is worded, I assume Spencer will talk about inclusiveness and options in gaming and not just about the actual games. TGA going in hard this year, huh?
It makes sense to spread info throughout the year at minor and major events instead of blowing your whole load at one or two major events.

Oct 25, 2017

TGA is MUCH bigger than X0, so, for the games of winter of arcade, being there is much better.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Having a blast with mutant. Microsoft should take a look at the dev.

Winter of arcade gunna be sweet. Possibly ashen... then below.....then tunic..... then the last night.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Having a blast with mutant. Microsoft should take a look at the dev.

Winter of arcade gunna be sweet. Possibly ashen... then below.....then tunic..... then the last night.

Yep said that yesterday. Really impressed with what this small dev accomplished. New way to blend strategy, stealth and RPG. Might be creating a new genre.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that Ashen is finally upon us, been looking forward to it since it was announced 5(!) years ago.

If the game ends up landing well, A44 would be a good potential acquisition target for Studios.

Mohamed

Jul 16, 2018
--> Only announcing the titel of the game at E3
--> Small studio developing it
--> No mention of it at Gamescom
--> No mention of it at X0
--> No videoor any details leaked.
--> Announcing the return of "Season of Arcade"

==> Battletoads is a small game and one of "Winter of Arcade 2019" line up.

I hope it will be received better than TMNT did during X360 era.

Mohamed

Jul 16, 2018
Minecraft studio bear future plan:

Sep 19: PC release of Dungeons
H1 20: Xbox One release
H2 20: Next box release
H1 21: Switch release
H2 21: Mobile release
H1 22: PS5 release

While continuing updating Minecraft

Or at least that's what I hope if it is turn out to be a moderate success.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I understand that it's better to spread info out throughout the year, but I got to admit, I've always kind of enjoyed how E3 was just a huge info dump from all parties. Made the build up to the event super hype. I also liked when all the press conferences were on the same day. Felt like Christmas, just wake up and watch video game conferences all day. Again, I get it's better the way things are going, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the way it was just a couple years ago.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018

Phil Spencer and Matt Booty visited Rare recently according to Rares Developer update. Makes sense since they also visited Ninja Theory and Playground talks about it around 5:09

Edit: look out for a sea of thieves podcast with Matt Booty too talking about Sea of Thieves and the future of Xbox

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There is really gonna be a point soon that it makes no sense not to be subscribed to Gamepass.
Even more when next gen starts. Then as xbox gamer is gonna be a no brainer. You see it also with the deals now for Gamepass. MS doesnt care how much you pay for it to get in or extend. Like the 50% now for 6 months. They dont "care" they just want you in.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Phil Spencer and Matt Booty visited Rare recently according to Rares Developer update. Makes sense since they also visited Ninja Theory and Playground talks about it around 5:09

Edit: look out for a sea of thieves podcast with Matt Booty too talking about Sea of Thieves and the future of Xbox

Matt Booty on the next podcast. Nice.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There is really gonna be a point soon that it makes no sense not to be subscribed to Gamepass.
Even more when next gen starts. Then as xbox gamer is gonna be a no brainer. You see it also with the deals now for Gamepass. MS doesnt care how much you pay for it to get in or extend. Like the 50% now for 6 months. They dont "care" they just want you in.

That time was a few months ago. With some of the specials lately, don't see any reason to miss on GP.

Mohamed

Jul 16, 2018
Two points I'd like to talk about.

* Why is everyone assuming that Amazon is entering the market to be a competitor? I see them entering to extended their lead on the cloud services. I think their optimum goal is to rent their cloud services to Sony and Nintendo. Sony and Amazon both know that Microsoft have the advantage of having both, Cloud infrastructure and strong presence in VG industry. It would be too expensive for Sony to build a cloud service as competent as Azure and use it only for gaming. It is too risky for Amazon to enter the market as a competitor. Microsoft explosion in the last year when it comes to acquiring studios would push Amazon and Sony to rely on each other.
Looking at Amazon history, their second option would be tp build the Netflix version of video games and offer it on every console, PC, mobile out there. Knowing Microsoft current management, Phil and Satya, they would welcome that.
I can see them adding few studios to enhance Prime experience before I see them compete with the big three.
Bottom line, Amazon isn't a threat to Xbox unless Playstation goes to them.

* Now that I talked a lot about Amazon, I forgot the second point I'd like to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.