Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Jan 10, 2018
This got completely ignored on the next gen thread so I thought I did post it here, Brad Sams from Thurott talking abut about next gen:

Also an arcticle abput Phil speaking at a Barclays event:

https://wccftech.com/spencer-hesitate-studio-only-one-device/

We think about content as a critical, critical aspect as gamers play games. The community around these games, allowing people to be connected to their players and their friends and their content across all the devices is why we invest in Xbox Live and Mixer, our video streaming platform, and then cloud. So, we think about it as three Cs, content, community and cloud. Cloud is the way we can deliver community and content to a player on any device. Yes, I’d say I’d hesitate to look for a game studio that’s only capable of building on one device because gamers play games on all devices, and I think you’re missing out on an opportunity if you’re not thinking about games that can work everywhere players show up.

He’s obviously referring first and foremost to Project xCloud, which Microsoft believes will help increase the TAM (total addressable market) from hundreds of millions to billions as all games become available on any device. This will begin with Android devices, he clarified, before highlighting the inherent synergy with Xbox Game Pass.

We focus first on Android phones, because there are 1 billion Android phones on the planet and it’s a place with the content that we’ve natively built up over the past decades on our platform, has it been able to reach. But, we look at cloud streaming as a way over the years where we’re able to bring content to customers on any device that they have, regardless of the local compute capabilities. Again, building the experience around the customer, giving the customer choice on where they want to play. And obviously, when you look at that, we have multiple business models that will work with streaming. But, the connection of streaming with the subscription model makes a ton of sense. You see it in music, you see it in video. So, you can look at Project xCloud and you can look at something like Game Pass, and you can see there is a natural synergy between those two.​

Xbox Game Pass itself was described by Spencer as a sort of flywheel to attract customers. This, in turn, explains the increased investments Microsoft has been making in the form of the seven game studios acquired this year (Undead Labs, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games, inXile Entertainment, Obsidian Entertainment, and The Initiative).

[…] we’ve built Game Pass and it started on the Xbox One console. It will come to PC and eventually it will come to every device. We use the flywheel that we have with customers on an Xbox to start the growth in Game Pass. But if somebody is sitting back and taking a longer term view of where our business is going, you should look at that as a business model that we think scales to billions of people, not hundreds of millions of people like retail does. So, for us, growing Game Pass early, we’re seeing the success in Game Pass today. It’s been critically important where the content investment, first party studious investments we’re making now are all about accelerating the flywheel of customers coming in and we’re seeing that work.​

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't think there's another studio out there that talented that feels as wasted as 343i do by continuing to desperately claw on to an IP that has had its best days behind it and is continuously declining in sales and relevance. Oh well.
My dude, I like a lot of your ideas on things but this overly negative, non-subjective constant putdown of Halo and 343 is tiresome and filled with non-facts.

1. You don't know what these devs feel.

2. They aren't "desperately" clawing on to the IP. It's the job they were hired for. Do you desperately claw at your job? Don't be ridiculous.

3. How would you know the best days are behind it? What determines that exactly? Many IP's have had that said about it only to rebound with later entries. You don't give up on iconic, influential and STILL currently money making IP's.

4. Your claim of continuous declines in sales is disingenuous seeing as 5 did gangbusters for MS

5. Relevance or the lack thereof is not solely due to the game itself but many factors, like competition in the FPS market with COD and Battlefield. You don't even try to use context here.

I honestly do not get this desire from you to wholly abandon iconic and well selling IP's. It makes no fiscal, or even basic common sense.

Jul 28, 2018
Oct 24, 2018
Two points I'd like to talk about.

* Why is everyone assuming that Amazon is entering the market to be a competitor? I see them entering to extended their lead on the cloud services. I think their optimum goal is to rent their cloud services to Sony and Nintendo. Sony and Amazon both know that Microsoft have the advantage of having both, Cloud infrastructure and strong presence in VG industry. It would be too expensive for Sony to build a cloud service as competent as Azure and use it only for gaming. It is too risky for Amazon to enter the market as a competitor. Microsoft explosion in the last year when it comes to acquiring studios would push Amazon and Sony to rely on each other.
Looking at Amazon history, their second option would be tp build the Netflix version of video games and offer it on every console, PC, mobile out there. Knowing Microsoft current management, Phil and Satya, they would welcome that.
I can see them adding few studios to enhance Prime experience before I see them compete with the big three.
Bottom line, Amazon isn't a threat to Xbox unless Playstation goes to them.

* Now that I talked a lot about Amazon, I forgot the second point I'd like to talk about.
I would have said the same about Amazon offering TV show streaming, yet then arrived Prime Video. I think they realized they can have their cake and eat it too (i.e. AWS supplies services to competitors of the bigger Amazon, look at Netflix using AWS as an example). AWS can be a partner for Nintendo and Sony, while Amazon can have their own "Amazon Prime Games". With Google and Microsoft planning to offer game streaming, there is no significant neutral competition.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Could have said the same about God of War 4 before it released, yet look what happened there. It's as big as ever now.

People saying that Halo is a dead IP that will never get popular again are annoying.
I completely disagree. People act like the series is on this huge decline. Halo 4 was the fastest selling game in the series and likely sold above 10 million. Halo 5 has declined a bit probably around 8 million sells and that’s most likely duo to 343’s bad approach to the campaign. A must step caused 1 game to decline 20%. The series is fine and is one great game away from having another 10 million seller.

My second point is halo is still awesome and It always will have a place is my heart. Pump away 343.

Exactly. Thank you. Btw, Halo 5 was the fastest selling not 4. It also had the biggest launch of any title I believe up until FH4. It may still have it being it's biggest selling IP this gen still.

Jun 11, 2018
I completely disagree. People act like the series is on this huge decline. Halo 4 was the fastest selling game in the series and likely sold above 10 million. Halo 5 has declined a bit probably around 8 million sells and that’s most likely duo to 343’s bad approach to the campaign. A must step caused 1 game to decline 20%. The series is fine and is one great game away from having another 10 million seller.

My second point is halo is still awesome and It always will have a place is my heart. Pump away 343.
Halo for life!!! :)

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Exactly. Thank you. Btw, Halo 5 was the fastest selling not 4. It also had the biggest launch of any title I believe up until FH4. It may still have it being it's biggest selling IP this gen still.
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Game-...rds=halo+4&dpPl=1&dpID=51mynT29AXL&ref=plSrch

Says halo 4 is the best selling halo game ever on the cover art.
Also no way that halo 5 was the fastest selling one. Frankie said it did 5 million in 3 months. Halo 3,4 and reach probably sold faster. Nonetheless halo 5 has sold good.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Game-...rds=halo+4&dpPl=1&dpID=51mynT29AXL&ref=plSrch

Says halo 4 is the best selling halo game ever on the cover art.
Also no way that halo 5 was the fastest selling one. Frankie said it did 5 million in 3 months. Halo 3,4 and reach probably sold faster. Nonetheless halo 5 has sold good.
No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.

Oct 26, 2017
So with Below finally having its release date, tomorrow HAS to be Ashen:s release at the TGA, because what other Xbox indie titles could they have meant? Plus that the Ashen Twitter has been saying it several times that it would release this year.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.
I wish it did that good but no. Halo 4’s 300$ million was game sells only. Halo 5’s 400$ million included console sells. It did not sells more copies than halo 3 or 4 at launch. Both halo 3 and 4 did about 4 million copies sold through to consumer in its first week. Halo 5 did 5 million shipped(including digital) in 3 months.

Nov 8, 2017
Halo getting 4-5 years between games is crazy to me. 5 launched in October of 2015
They didn't announce it for 2019 like they did for Gears, so reading between the lines it's definitely 2020 or later. Common theory is cross-gen launch title for their new system, sort of a BOTW situation. If they really want to make a reinvigorate the series, then going big and taking a long time to make it is the perfect way to do that.

Personally, open world halo sounds very unexciting so I hope it's not that, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't think the market would lap that up.

Aug 14, 2018
You know what would be awesome? A Gears of War RPG in the same vein as Fallout.

Even a mod that replaces the BOS with the COG, Super Mutants with Locast/Swarm variants, radiant creatures with the Lambent, Enclave with the UIR, Stranded and Outsider villages, it'd be pretty neat.

Never thought of that possibility. Have Xbox consoles ever come out around those times? The OG Xbox? I know for sure the 360 didn't.
OG was November 2001.

Aug 14, 2018
Was it posted that Ashen is "available now" in the Xbox store for someone?

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/a3akq7/ashen_showing_available_now_on_the_xbox_store/

Oh and that Phil will be present at TGA? Not sure if that means anything though.
He's going to come out Vince McMahon style, and say that he just bought Sony Interactive Entertainment... Only for Major Nelson to appear on screen, at SIE headquarters, to announce that he now owns SIE.

Spencer vs Nelson, the battle of all ages.

Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So with Below finally having its release date, tomorrow HAS to be Ashen:s release at the TGA, because what other Xbox indie titles could they have meant? Plus that the Ashen Twitter has been saying it several times that it would release this year.
Do we have a technical date for Winter of Arcade yet?
If not, I still believe Ashen and Below could part of it.

Other potential games:
After Party
Ooblets
Super Meat Boy Forever
Waking
The Artful Escape
and last but not least..... Undertale

These are the only ones (off the top of my head) that make sense (aside from Undertale, but I truly believe that game is coming eventually).

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
If it doesn't launch until 2020, that means it's a Scarlett launch title which could be something special.
AND...first party games launch day and date, so it's a launch title exclusive that no one should doubt will be at least a 90 MetaCritic....and it's essentially free b/c Game Pass.

They're going to launch the new xbox with essentially a Halo: Infinite pack-in title. Mark my words.

Phil is out for blood in ConsoleGen9 and he ain't playing around.

Jun 20, 2018
Do we have a technical date for Winter of Arcade yet?
If not, I still believe Ashen and Below could part of it.

Other potential games:
After Party
Ooblets
Super Meat Boy Forever
Waking
The Artful Escape
and last but not least..... Undertale

These are the only ones (off the top of my head) that make sense (aside from Undertale, but I truly believe that game is coming eventually).
I actually think it makes it even more likely that it’s a Winter of Arcade game. Could it be one per week with Ashen launching this Friday, Below the next, and two more on the 21st and 28th respectively? Seems very likely, in my opinion.

I also think with the Game Pass stuff on Twitter, they may all be included.

Sep 28, 2018
2 names for acquisitions I've been hearing on the world of Twitter, Psyonix and Giant Sparrow

Psyonix makes no sense though because they basically have one successful (very successful) game that's already on every platform and even on Game Pass. Can't see what the point in acquiring them would be, they don't have anywhere near the value and potential that Mojang has with Mincraft. They'd have to do something else

That studio that made Smite is a good example, Smite was popular but then they made Paladins which is a very popular game on Steam and a good alternative to Overwatch. Psyonix would need to show that they're not a one hit wonder.

Also they're not exactly hurting for cash either.

Not sure about the other one, they made that Edith whatever game, not my kind of game but apparently it was critically a smash hit, may be a good dev for Game Pass.

Aug 14, 2018
So after Crackdown 3, do you guys think that they'll buy one of Sumo Digital's studios (not the whole company, obviously), they'll buy another partner like Reagent, they'll start up a whole studio completely (if so please get the devs who made Mercenaries), or they'll keep contracting it?

They want to make it a big franchise on the level of Halo, so it really begs the question on where they'll go from here. The biggest problem would be starting a studio from scratch as it'll then take even longer for 4, even if they use the borrowed tech used for 3.

Jul 16, 2018
Nice info in that tweet ...
Among all the teams under Microsoft Game Studios, this team has been the real MVP this generation. Amazing amazing job really. Now that we have more than 550 games already, I'd like the team to focus more on enhancing the games. I'd like to see Xbox One games enhanced for the next box starting 2021.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I for one am looking forward to the day when the acquisition talks are over. I feel like we've been going round and round in circles for months here. To be fair it's much better than the alternative of nothing to talk about. But it'll be good when we know what these studios are working on and we can talk about that.

I'm looking forward to see how Ashen and Below turn out. Do we know what influence MSGP (or MS in general) would have on their release dates? Just seems odd for both to release so close to each other. They aren't the same but you'd think they share an audience.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I know this thread is about studios, but so nice to see Below finally coming in almost one week! Can't wait!

People harp on about Crackdown and how long it's been in development and delayed but often ignore this with Below. This game was literally showcased when the XB1 was revealed five years ago. Sheesh.

Here's to hoping it's even half worthy of all that wait.

Oct 27, 2017
So after Crackdown 3, do you guys think that they'll buy one of Sumo Digital's studios (not the whole company, obviously), they'll buy another partner like Reagent, they'll start up a whole studio completely (if so please get the devs who made Mercenaries), or they'll keep contracting it?

They want to make it a big franchise on the level of Halo, so it really begs the question on where they'll go from here. The biggest problem would be starting a studio from scratch as it'll then take even longer for 4, even if they use the borrowed tech used for 3.
It's hard to say. I have a hard time seeing Crackdown becoming a pillar for XBOX. I think the tech they've developed is carried forward and the IP is put to rest. Hope I'm wrong lol.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

I'm on the fence with Sumo D. They just don't do anything for me by the way of inspiring hope for any future releases from them. Even with Crackdown 3, I'm not totally convinced that it'll be good and when seeing something like Agents of Mayhem from Volition (whom I love and wish MS would/could really acquire) and how it's essentially the same type of game barring a few differences, I'm even less convinced that all time making the game will turn in something worthy. You never know I suppose but if I had any say on it, I'd be going for another studio.

I for one am looking forward to the day when the acquisition talks are over. I feel like we've been going round and round in circles for months here. To be fair it's much better than the alternative of nothing to talk about. But it'll be good when we know what these studios are working on and we can talk about that.

I'm looking forward to see how Ashen and Below turn out. Do we know what influence MSGP (or MS in general) would have on their release dates? Just seems odd for both to release so close to each other. They aren't the same but you'd think they share an audience.
I'm not. Reading/hearing all these rumors of acquisitions and seeing many come to fruition fills me with joy and faith knowing that MS is heavily investing into the platform with these quality developers as quality games have to follow.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018

Hard to see why Sumo would be interested in selling that wing off when they could in theory keep getting paid to make more Crackdowns?
I think they could keep farming Crackdown out to second parties. And by that I mean give the tech to Avalanche to make 4

Sep 28, 2018
What's the Meta prediction for Crackdown 3 right now? I have it at a 76-78

If the Initiative's game doesn't get a 90 that's going to be an instant L as far as I'm concerned.