Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
What's the Meta prediction for Crackdown 3 right now? I have it at a 76-78

If the Initiative's game doesn't get a 90 that's going to be an instant L as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know the predictions on it but I'd wager a mid to high 70 score as well which isn't bad, but isn't good enough after all this time either.

I agree with you that the Initiative can't come in and fuck up. I don't know if it needs to be a 90 meta game exactly. High 80's should be fine but they can't be lower than that.

Sep 28, 2018
Ninja theory will be 76-79.
Based on what? They're a consistent 80+ developer.

Their last 3 major games, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade were all 81+ games. There is no merit on their next game being a sub 80 game, unless they royally fuck up.

I don't know the predictions on it but I'd wager a mid to high 70 score as well which isn't bad, but isn't good enough after all this time either.

I agree with you that the Initiative can't come in and fuck up. I don't know if it needs to be a 90 meta game exactly. High 80's should be fine but they can't be lower than that.
I' say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

A sub 90 would be disappointing.

Oct 26, 2018

Their last 3 major games, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade were all 81+ games. There is no merit on their next game being a sub 80 game, unless they royally fuck up.

I' say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

Do people actually think ninja theory can make a bad game? Whoever said that should be ashamed

Jan 28, 2018
Obsidian, Ninja Theory are 85+
Obsidian was close to 90 with both Pillars of Eternity titles.

Sony has 2 90+ developers, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, nothing reaches their quality.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I'd say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

I do feel you on this, outside of them supposedly being in the tier of R* and CDPR, or being better than all the other studios in MS, but since they're acquiring the best talent possible and being touted as an AAAA studio they can't turn in a subpar game. I think a sub 90 game is perfectly fine though.

B.C.

Sep 28, 2018

Who the hell said any of this ^^^ What a ridiculous notion.

Do you know how hard it is to develop or create anything for mass consumption? There's no guarantees in the professional creators world. No matter how much money, resources or talent thats attached to a creative endeavor. It doesnt work that way. All they can do is put in 110%. The rest is pure destiny.

Comments like these are annoying.

Aug 14, 2018
People harp on about Crackdown and how long it's been in development and delayed but often ignore this with Below. This game was literally showcased when the XB1 was revealed five years ago. Sheesh.

Here's to hoping it's even half worthy of all that wait.
Cuphead was awesome and worth the wait, so who knows.

Plenty of games I've disliked have gotten fairly high MC reviews, and plenty that I've loved have gotten low MC reviews. If Microsoft is still willing to support SoT and SoD2 despite their low scores, then my guess it's not that important to them.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the Meta prediction for Crackdown 3 right now? I have it at a 76-78

If the Initiative's game doesn't get a 90 that's going to be an instant L as far as I'm concerned.
I think it will be in the low 70s, possibly even high 60s. For better or worse it seems Crackdown in 2019 except for a fun but limited multiplayer with destruction. I don't think the general audience wants that right now. I do, for what it's worth.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Who the hell said any of this ^^^ What a ridiculous notion.

Do you know how hard it is to develop or create anything for mass consumption? There's no guarantees in the professional creators world. No matter how much money, resources or talent thats attached to a creative endeavor. It doesnt work that way. All they can do is put in 110%. The rest is pure destiny.

Comments like these are annoying.

You're not wrong as far as subjectivity goes as they can't control what reviewers feel necessarily, but in this instance, at least how I meant it and how I inferred Rami Seb to mean it, is that with all of this talent they have to turn in a game that has all of the intangibles of a well made game narratively and technically to get the desired result of a high scoring release.

Sep 28, 2018
Do people actually think ninja theory can make a bad game? Whoever said that should be ashamed
I mean anyone can make a bad game but Ninja Theory has the track record to be a consistent mid-high 80's developer if not possible 90 now that they don't have to worry about financial backing, technology and resources

I mean the fact that they made Hellblade with 20 something people and a small budget is evident enough of their talent

Sony has 2 90+ developers, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, nothing reaches their quality.
I would put a full budget Obsidian and Playground on that level of quality. Frankly I'm not impressed with Naughty Dog, especially since a lot of their big names left. They're still one of Sony's 2 best developers though.

I think it will be in the low 70s, possibly even high 60s. For better or worse it seems Crackdown in 2019 except for a fun but limited multiplayer with destruction. I don't think the general audience wants that right now. I do, for what it's worth.
I'd bank on it at least hitting the 70's. State of Decay 2 came close but was panned for its buggy-ness. Sea of Thieves came close but it lacked content. It doesn't seem like Crackdown 3 is going to have any of these issues, the only way I see it hitting sub 70 is if the game flat out sucks ei not fun, no redeeming qualities etc. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 despite their flaws have redeeming qualities.

Dec 8, 2017

You people don't need to get upset.. 😒
It's just a baseless prediction of mine, and going from 81+ to 79 doesn't mean they royally fucked up. It could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule or they tried something different. For some reason I can imagine them releasing a small little divisive game that some will consider an absolute gem.

Sep 28, 2018
You people don't need to get upset.. 😒
It's just a baseless prediction of mine, and going from 81+ to 79 doesn't mean they royally fucked up. It could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule or they tried something different. For some reason I can imagine them releasing a small little divisive game that some will consider an absolute gem.
Who's getting upset? Just because someone questions your post doesn't mean they're upset. The entire point of this forum is to discuss.

Yes it could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule. I did say previously that anyone can make a bad game, even top tier devs like Santa Monica and CDPR can fuck up for a variety of reasons ei budget, manpower, time constraints etc.

How is an 81 divisive exactly? That would imply that the general consensus is that the game is pretty great and that it's even more impressive given the manpower and resources NT had when making it.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive had an 81 as well, and most people consider it one of the better Xbox One exclusives this gen (not that that's saying much) even though I personally think its overrated and would rather MS not bother with a sequel.

Jun 12, 2018
It's more likely that you will see multiple SKUs for Xbox Live. The basic SKU being XBL and GP and higher SKUs including XCloud streaming.
I don’t think XCloud is going to result in extra subscription fees for current Xbox users. I believe that when you own a game or subscribe to Gamepass you will have the option to stream to your browser, phone, tablet, new devices for tv. The XBL question is getting more interesting though. PC players won’t buy XBL, mobile won’t either. What is MS going to do going forward? As an Xbox user am I damned to pay for the services available on PC for free? People always think I’m crazy but the base XBL paywall is really hard to justify for MS and the only thing that makes sense to me is that they abolish it. At this point Xbox fans are suckers to pay for this. I’m saying this as a fan that has paid for XBL since day 1 of XBL pretty much.

Dec 3, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if GamePass comes to Switch in Japan via xCloud as a way into that market without having to waste resources selling consoles in a country that won't buy them.
Depending on Nintendo's own plans for the future and whether MS will make them an offer they can't decline, I could see xCloud becoming available on Switch in any region.

Dec 8, 2017
Who's getting upset? Just because someone questions your post doesn't mean they're upset. The entire point of this forum is to discuss.

Yes it could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule. I did say previously that anyone can make a bad game, even top tier devs like Santa Monica and CDPR can fuck up for a variety of reasons ei budget, manpower, time constraints etc.

How is an 81 divisive exactly? That would imply that the general consensus is that the game is pretty great
You're not the first one to question the NT game average i "predicted", but there really is nothing to question: I am not implying they are an average developer, it's just gut feeling based on... nothing at all!

And 81 could mean it's a 100 for some and a 60 for someone else. Divisive, since we're talking about average score.
Which, to me, has little to do with a game's actual quality or developer's talent.
Also, with 81 meaning pretty great, why do you think 76-79 suddenly means "royally fucked up" ?
I can just see them releasing something that will go down as a little niche gem for someone, while not appealing to many.

Besides, since the old Zzap! days I've been thinking real quality hides in 75% games. My favourite games were always those weird little things in the 70/80 range...

No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.
Halo 4 is still the best selling Halo game of all time though. Confirmed by NPD.

Oct 26, 2017
I am not gonna watch TGA tonight, it's not an ideal time for me. Instead I'll just watch the whole thing tomorrow in the morning. I assume they will have the full show ready, won't they?

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on the fence with Sumo D. They just don't do anything for me by the way of inspiring hope for any future releases from them. Even with Crackdown 3, I'm not totally convinced that it'll be good and when seeing something like Agents of Mayhem from Volition (whom I love and wish MS would/could really acquire) and how it's essentially the same type of game barring a few differences, I'm even less convinced that all time making the game will turn in something worthy. You never know I suppose but if I had any say on it, I'd be going for another studio.
It's not just a few differences, other than the visuals, the gameplay is pretty distinct between the 2.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fairly similar to me but let me ask you (and anyone here) who would you rather MS acquire if given the chance to develop games like Crackdown and beyond? Sumo Digital or Volition?
For Crackdown / open world games alone? Probably Volition. They have a lot more experience in the field. We'll see how CD3 turns out though.

For what the entire company could offer Xbox? Sumo Digital.
-The CD3 team could continue working on Crackdown
-Team Sonic Racing team on a kart racer or a third pillar racing game alongside Motorsport and Horizon.
-Snake Pass team on family friendly projects
-The Chinese Room on horror / story driven atmospheric games

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's what I was thinking and it can't be for Winter of Arcade either, right? They would just say that since they've already announced it.

Mhmmmmmm.....
I expect it to be something low-key, yea. Maybe a new batch of Game Pass games, Crackdown 3 campaign trailer, ... Stuff like that.

Imo the best that could come out of this would be a Battletoads trailer. I really want to see that game.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I expect it to be something low-key, yea. Maybe a new batch of Game Pass games, Crackdown 3 campaign trailer, ... Stuff like that.
I've been the one trying to tell others to reign in their expectations and not expect any new game reveals, but a special announcement doesn't shout Game Pass or updates on already announced games to me.

Oh well, it starts at silly o'clock in the morning for me so I'll just catch the news, whatever it is when I get up for work tomorrow.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
For Crackdown / open world games alone? Probably Volition. They have a lot more experience in the field. We'll see how CD3 turns out though.

For what the entire company could offer Xbox? Sumo Digital.
-The CD3 team could continue working on Crackdown
-Team Sonic Racing team on a kart racer or a third pillar racing game alongside Motorsport and Horizon.
-Snake Pass team on family friendly projects
-The Chinese Room on horror / story driven atmospheric games

Hmmm...I can see your point but I just haven't seen enough from Sumo to make me believe they'd be worth it, nor do I have much faith in a kart game being successful, but that's more my own bias speaking as I'm not the biggest fan of them outside of Mario Kart games.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...I can see your point but I just haven't seen enough from Sumo to make me believe they'd be worth it, nor do I have much faith in a kart game being successful, but that's more my own bias speaking as I'm not the biggest fan of them outside of Mario Kart games.
It wouldn't have to be a kart/mascot racer. Sumo Digital has a long history of working on racing games. They made the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, for instance.

Xbox has other racing/car IPs that they can mine. Mainly PGR, Midtown Madness and Rallisport Challenge.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It wouldn't have to be a kart/mascot racer. Sumo Digital has a long history of working on racing games. They made the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, for instance.

Xbox has other racing/car IPs that they can mine. Mainly PGR, Midtown Madness and Rallisport Challenge.

I see but I don't think the cost for them justifies a possibly successful racer, especially when MS already has the best reviewed and largely respected king of racers in the Forza franchise. It's oversaturation and unneeded in my opinion seeing how niche the genre is. Conversely I can easily see Volition making a wide variety of genres that would be successful.

Oct 27, 2017
I see but I don't think the cost for them justifies a possibly successful racer, especially when MS already has the best reviewed and largely respected king of racers in the Forza franchise. It's oversaturation and unneeded in my opinion seeing how niche the genre is. Conversely I can easily see Volition making a wide variety of genres that would be successful.
Depends on what they're planning for the Motorsport and Horizon series going forward, I guess. If they're moving to a three year cycle for FM and FH, then I wouldn't mind a third pillar racing series.

Plus, they took a chance with Horizon and it proved to be a success for them. A lot of people didn't think it would work back then.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Depends on what they're planning for the Motorsport and Horizon series going forward, I guess. If they're moving to a three year cycle for FM and FH, then I wouldn't mind a third pillar racing series.

Plus, they took a chance with Horizon and it proved to be a success for them. A lot of people didn't think it would work back then.
No argument there I just think from a point of need versus want, I see no real want (i.e. demand) of another racer when they have FM and FH. Not when there are so many other genres out there and ones they are in need of.

Oct 30, 2017
It looks fairly similar to me but let me ask you (and anyone here) who would you rather MS acquire if given the chance to develop games like Crackdown and beyond? Sumo Digital or Volition?
Looks is one thing, but play them both and it'll become apparent that they aren't very alike. AoM has more of a focus on gunplay, whereas Crackdown's more of a platformer with guns. I'm a massive fan of the Crackdown games and bought AoM earlier this year, hoping it'd fill that Crackdown void until 3 released, but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't. It's a decent game in its own right though.

As for who MS should acquire? Volition made Saints Row IV, which apparently is much more like the Crackdown games.